May 11, 2024, 05:06:37 PM

Author Topic: Woman Died on Kings County Hospital Floor  (Read 2662 times)

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
Woman Died on Kings County Hospital Floor
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
This is so sad.  Oh my God!   There is no excuse for this sort of thing at all.  Inhumane and ungodly!

May those responsible rot in hell. This is a fellow West Indian too, poor Jamaican woman.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25472162#25472162

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
Re: No words are needed to express the rage and dismay!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:36:57 AM »
To me doesn't matter which country she is from, that is high class nonsense. That woman is somebody's mother/sister/aunt/wife. What got me damn vex is the nurse kicking the woman to get a response. I ain't to care about the doctor who passed, the security guard who rolled in, is that nurse that got me upset the most. Kcked the woman like some dead animal. ....nah man

The other patients in the room, after 7 minutes where did they go ? I honestly don't want to believe that a staff member came into that room and took them to their respective rooms. The patients, didn't they say something ? One was on the phone w hile the deceased was rolling on the ground.

Could you imagine what the hell does happen when camera are not rolling ?

People over here does bawl for murder when they mis-treat an animal. Over here I meant Canada.
Just last week somebody poisoned 3 dogs at a partiicular park in Toronto, but when they finally investigated and I tell ya it was REAL investigation going on - this made headlines news, the poison was really for raccoons.

My mind just went straight to those Senior Citizen homes. No conscience nuh

Suspending and firing people isn't enough for people working in this type of enivornment. Let them face some time man.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:45:32 AM by Killouwatie »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:42:18 AM »
Six hospital employees disciplined in ER death

Surveillance video shows a woman lying on the hospital floor for almost an hour before anyone helped her.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Six hospital employees have been fired or suspended after ignoring for more than an hour a woman who collapsed and died in a New York emergency room waiting area.

On June 18, Esmin Green, 49, was involuntarily admitted to the psychiatric emergency department of Kings County Hospital Center on June 18 for what the hospital describes as "agitation and psychosis."

Upon her admission, Green waited nearly 24 hours for treatment, said the New York Civil Liberties Union, which on Tuesday released surveillance camera video of the incident.

The surveillance camera video shows the woman rolling off a waiting room chair, landing face-down on the floor and convulsing. Her collapse came at 5:32 a.m. June 19, the NYCLU said, and she stopped moving at 6:07 a.m. During that time, the organization said, workers at the hospital ignored her.

At 6:35 a.m., the tape shows a hospital employee approaching and nudging Green with her foot, the group said. Help was summoned three minutes later.  Watch the surveillance video »

In addition, the organization said, hospital staff falsified Green's records to cover up the time she had lain there without assistance.

"Contrary to what was recorded from four different angles by the hospital's video cameras, the patient's medical records say that at 6 a.m., she got up and went to the bathroom, and at 6:20 a.m. she was 'sitting quietly in waiting room' -- more than 10 minutes since she last moved and 48 minutes after she fell to the floor."

The New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, which oversees the hospital, released a statement Tuesday saying it was "shocked and distressed by this situation. It is clear that some of our employees failed to act based on our compassionate standards of care."

After a preliminary investigation, the corporation said it suspended or terminated six employees, "including staff involved with the direct care of the patient as well as managers of security and clinical services," the statement said.

A Health and Hospitals Corporation spokeswoman said it was aware of the discrepancies in Green's record when it began the preliminary investigation on June 20. That information is now in the hands of various investigatory agencies, she said.

The corporation pledged to put "additional and significant" reforms in place in the wake of the incident.

In May 2007, the New York Civil Liberties Union and the Mental Hygiene Legal Service filed suit against Kings County in federal court, alleging that conditions at the facility are filthy. Patients are often forced to sleep in plastic chairs or on floors covered in urine, feces and blood while waiting for beds, the groups allege, and often go without basic hygiene such as showers, clean linens and clean clothes.

The lawsuit claims that patients who complain face physical abuse and are injected with drugs to keep them docile.

The hospital, the suit alleges, lacks "the minimal requirements of basic cleanliness, space, privacy, and personal hygiene that are constitutionally guaranteed even to convicted felons."

The video sent the organizations back into court Tuesday, demanding immediate reform.

"What's happening in Kings County Hospital is an affront to human dignity," New York Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Donna Lieberman said in a written statement. "In 2008 in New York City, nobody should be subjected to this kind of treatment. It should not take the death of a patient to get the city to make changes that everyone knows are long overdue."

The Department of Justice recently initiated an investigation into conditions at the hospital, the organization said, prompting the facility to improve some of its problems. "But the culture of abuse and neglect remains and, as evidenced by the June death, the situation is too dire to wait for the Justice Department to act," the group said.

Among the reforms agreed to in court Tuesday by the hospital are additional staffing; checking of patients every 15 minutes; and limiting to 25 the number of patients in the psychiatric emergency ward, officials said. In addition, the hospital said it is expanding crisis-prevention training for staff; expanding space to prevent overcrowding; and reducing patients' wait time for release, treatment or placement in an inpatient bed.

On Monday, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he was appalled by the surveillance video.

"Look, I saw the film like everybody else did and I was -- horrified is much too nice a word. Disgusted I think is a better word. I can't explain what happened there."

Green, a native of the island of Jamaica, lived alone in Brooklyn's Brownsville neighborhood. She had no close family in the United States, and her neighbor Beatrice Wallace described her as a quiet woman who had few visitors and spent most of her free time at church.

The medical examiner is withholding autopsy results pending further study and investigation into the precise cause of death.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »
man :o
sad no armen
Prayers to her and her family/friends
all ah dem need ah new work................"pounding the pavement"
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »
Sad, but not uncommon.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »
To me doesn't matter which country she is from, that is high class nonsense. That woman is somebody's mother/sister/aunt/wife. What got me damn vex is the nurse kicking the woman to get a response. I ain't to care about the doctor who passed, the security guard who rolled in, is that nurse that got me upset the most. Kcked the woman like some dead animal. ....nah man

.. :applause:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »
How bout charge instead of discipline
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:54:21 PM »
according to cana,they go jail somebody fuh mistreatin ah fukkin cyat or dog,anyway de bottom line is she black and mad,so why bother.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Woman Died on Kings County Hospital Floor
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
Family Of Woman Who Died In Brooklyn To Sue Hopsital

July 08, 2008

The family of the woman whose death on the floor of a Brooklyn hospital waiting room last month was caught on surveillance tape announced plans today to sue the facility.

Esmin Green's daughter and sister will seek $25 million from Kings County Hospital. Their lawyer is also calling for criminal charges in the case.

The lawsuit comes two weeks after Green died while waiting to be seen in the hospital's psychiatric ward.

Surveillance video showed the 49-year-old convulsing on the floor while workers walked on by.

“What my brothers and sisters and I want is that the persons responsible should be behind bars,” said Trecia Harrision, Green’s daughter. “We want them prosecuted. We want them to pay for it. My mother did not deserve to die that way.”

“My sister was the most loving and caring person,” said Brenda James, Green’s sister. “We do not know at this time if we will ever forget the images of the video that is now famous around the entire world.”

In response to the lawsuit, the hospital's president released a statement saying, in part:

"We failed Esmin Green and believe her family deserves fair and just compensation. HHC referred this matter to criminal enforcement and regulatory authorities on June 20. We have been cooperating and will continue to support any and all investigations."

The statement goes on to include a list of changes to the hospital's psychiatric program implemented since Green's death, including a decrease in wait times, and expanded training for hospital staff.

Green's cause of death is still under investigation.

Six people have been fired from the hospital. 

Before i came to this country when things like this happen yuh would hear people sayin that could never happen in America, well that is

a joke ,yuh hear things like the road eh have know holes , yuh doh see garbage in the streets , some people try to make yuh believe

that this place is paved with gold , yuh call dem  never c come c ,all they does  do iz bad talk trinbago .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Woman Died on Kings County Hospital Floor
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
only $25 million?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »
only $25 million?

maybe datz all dey could get.....
even ah dollar won't bring she back.
so what is dey point ???

i wanted dem 6 to face jail. to me that is more satisfaction than money

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:32:11 PM »
only $25 million?

maybe datz all dey could get.....
even ah dollar won't bring she back.
so what is dey point ???

Unfortunately, that sounds about right..25 million.  They will settle for far less.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »
only $25 million?

is de lawyers that come up with that amount not the family.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
i still can't get over the part where the nurse kicked the woman to get a response nah....
meh blood vessel on meh neck hutting meh  >:(

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »
If not jail, at least prevented from working in any other health care facility
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
If not jail, at least prevented from working in any other health care facility

Prevent ??? How is that possible when none of the government computering systems are linked. Who have the time to track 6 people and dey whereabouts ???
Just because I'm ah nurse doesn't mean ah cyah serve food at ah resturant. Or ah doctor that cyah sell dental care insurance.

Jail dey arse, set ah example for those who still doing that kinda shit in the hospitals and senior citizen homes.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »
lemme play devil's advocate for a second..

first of all, the lady was involuntarily admitted to the hospital which means they drag she in there.. So its reasonable to assume that either she had on-going mental issues or that she trip off and it was a one-off thing..

now putting the shit that those hospital employess do aside, what i want to know is..

where was the family when their ever so loving sister was sitting for 5 hours in a hospital waiting room??

Ent they say their sister was the 'most loving and caring person'.. So why was nobody around to return the favor?

does each brother or sister really deserve a slice of that $25 million?

you know some of them well taking advantage of this..

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
lemme play devil's advocate for a second..

first of all, the lady was involuntarily admitted to the hospital which means they drag she in there.. So its reasonable to assume that either she had on-going mental issues or that she trip off and it was a one-off thing..

now putting the shit that those hospital employess do aside, what i want to know is..

where was the family when their ever so loving sister was sitting for 5 hours in a hospital waiting room??

Ent they say their sister was the 'most loving and caring person'.. So why was nobody around to return the favor?

does each brother or sister really deserve a slice of that $25 million?

you know some of them well taking advantage of this..

agree whole heartedly.  that is the thing with family. only see them when money is involved.
but Omar i don't think  visiting hours are so early in the morning.

The surveillance camera video shows the woman rolling off a waiting room chair, landing face-down on the floor and convulsing. Her collapse came at 5:32 a.m. June 19, the NYCLU said, and she stopped moving at 6:07 a.m. During that time, the organization said, workers at the hospital ignored her.

furthermore, if i'm leaving my loved one in your care, especially if she ah little half crack like meh self, i expect with my government taxes in your hands to treat her with some form of respect and sensitivity...not so ?

now it should be mandatory to have surveillance cameras at all senior citizen homes  and hospitals.
i don't think the full story has hit the newspapers as yet

questions
*at that time of the morning, why was she in the waiting room ?
*was she expecting someone or was she about to have a checkin with a doctor or someone from the medical staff
*was this her first day at the institution ?
*where were those others patients ?
*when she fell why didn't they say something ?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:12:37 PM by Sushilla Boopsingh »

1]; } ?>