May 20, 2024, 06:10:52 PM

Author Topic: Keane ready for transfer swoops  (Read 1307 times)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Keane ready for transfer swoops
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:31:07 AM »
Keane ready for transfer swoops
Sunderland Echo

SUNDERLAND continue to scout and monitor players in the lead-up to the January transfer window reopening.

Manager Roy Keane has had talks with chairman Niall Quinn, and Sunderland are preparing to make their moves.

The manager told the Football Echo: "I have had one or two meetings this week with (chief scout) Mick Brown and one or two of the other scouts, and we are due another one next week.

"But I spoke to Niall this week and I am well aware of what funds are available, what funds aren't available and what needs to be done in terms of players hopefully coming in and possibly players going out.

"That will take shape probably more so over the next two weeks because you certainly like to get the ball rolling on making contact with certain clubs about certain players."

This week, coaching staff took in several games on fact-finding missions.

The Sunderland manager was in the North West this week to watch Liverpool's 4-1 Champions League victory over Porto and Sunderland Reserves' 2-0 defeat to Manchester United's second string.

Meanwhile, Keane's assistant, Tony Loughlan, watched Celtic's Champions League win over Shakhtar Donetsk.

Elsewhere, the club's scouts were also on duty and Keane said: "You're always on the lookout and always looking at players.

"You look at games and watch games and often it's just to see how prospective opponents play and set up.

"But you also are looking for possible signings as well, so you are always looking to gather information at games."

Potential signings that Keane could have been running his eye over in midweek included Manchester United's two reserve defenders, Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans, who kept a clean sheet against Sunderland.

Keane joked: "It was tempting to throw a blanket over the two of them and try to smuggle them back with us on the bus!

"No, but seriously, as I say, you are always looking for players but it is a lot more complicated than that.

"You've got to look at how much they cost, whether they want to come, all that sort of thing. And so because of that you've got to cast your net as wide as possible, take in as many games and look to identify the right target.

"We've got a good scouting network, though, and they are looking all the time."
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Keane ready for transfer swoops
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:37:20 AM »
Personally, if Carlos keep breaking up he foot so, I say think outsie de box an' call Kerry Baptiste, who fills that right midfield wing position beautifully.
I am not joking at all. Baptiste has it and is a cool alternative for Carlos in my pool for SA 2010
Yorkie, if yuh readin' dis see wha' yuh cold do nah  ;D
Keano, please call dis fella for a trial.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »
buy Stern John
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile