May 22, 2024, 08:37:31 AM

Author Topic: Barbados FA using own website to search for players  (Read 8215 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados FA using own website to search for players
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 02:50:55 PM »
Barnes clinic to start next week
1/12/08.

THE PRO-SHOTTAS male footballers are poised to participate in next week's prestigious Digicel Kick Start Under-20 clinic which will be conducted by former Liverpool and England star, John Barnes.

As a result of their victory over the Barbados Soccer Academy in the recent Independence Youth Tournament, the Barbados Football Association (BFA) has requested that Pro-Shottas recommend players to participate in the January 17 to 19 three-day clinic, scheduled for the Police Sports Complex.

The majority of the successful Pro-Shottas team which won the Continental International Youth Cup in Ohio last year, are expected to participate in the clinic, which will be the third of eight sponsored by Digicel in different Caribbean territories.

Manager of Pro-Shottas, Greg Castagne, who also coached the team which won four major titles last year, told SUN ON SATURDAY he is upbeat about the clinic, especially with Barnes, the greatest footballer to come from the Caribbean, as head coach.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for our players, some of whom met John Barnes when he worked with Brad Friedel's Premier Soccer Academy when our players were on scholarship therein 2005 and 2006," Castagne said.

Castagne said the Jamaican-born Barnes, who earned 79 caps for England, already knows about the ability of Brett Carrington and Andre Sandiford-Williams.

"These two Pro-Shottas players had trials with English Premier League clubs as they performed exceptionally well in Cleveland when he was there so I am confident that he will be keen to spot the talent here," he said.

Meanwhile, the Pro-Shottas soccer clinics for 2008 will kick off today at two venues. The Under-7s, Under- 9s will begin at 8:15 a.m. at St Gabriel's School with the Under-11s and Under-13s starting at the same venue at 9 a.m.

The Under-15s, Under-17s and Under-19s resume at Harrison College, along with the champion women's team with their sessions beginning at 8:45 a.m. All players are asked to make a special effort to be punctual as Pro-Shottas look to select squads to play in the Alvin Corneal Youth Tournament in Trinidad in March and to join their touring team to the United States in April and to also begin preparations for a successful tour of Dallas, next year.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 02:06:55 AM »
3-2 victory a kick-start
Published on: 1/15/08.

by EZRA STUART

A SATISFACTORY RESULT!

Barbados' head coach Eyre Sealy isn't complaining about the national team's 3-2 victory over Antigua and Barbuda in a friendly football international at Carlton on Sunday.

But he reckons more work needs to be done ahead of the first leg World Cup qualifying match against Dominica on February 6 at Windsor Park in Roseau.

"It will take us a bit of time to get into a groove but I think we are on the right track," Sealy said after the game.

"We introduced a lot of young players who are strange to a lot of the fans, so I'm happy for now," he added.

Will take time

One area of concern for Sealy is getting the defenders to get accustomed to the "flat back four" system.

"It will take a little time to get it perfect but we were a lot better organised in the second half once we made a little adjustment, so I am reasonably pleased right now.

"But our covering at the back wasn't too good. Our full backs stayed too wide at times and our defensive midfielder sometimes pushed a little bit too high," Sealy said.

"Once we were able to sort that out we played a lot better in defence and we organised the midfield a little better as time went on. . . ," he added.

He said the national team had not played an international game since March last year and the fitness level of the players was not high since they had only reassembled for training a short while ago.

"I am not happy about that, but that is work in progress. We were only training for probably about five weeks. We had a break for almost two weeks during the Christmas time . . . so the fitness level of course won't be up to scratch right now," Sealy said.

Technical adviser Keith Griffith also commended the national team for getting a positive result after being inactive for nine months.

"Seeing it was our first game since March 25, I am quite happy with the second-half performance and the comeback in the first half," he said.

"Antigua came here from defeating St Kitts 2-0. They have played two warm-up matches and they were always going to be competitive. It was also good to see the youngsters making their debut and doing very well, and it was good that Dwayne Lynch got the winning goal," Griffith said.

He said the team would now oppose St Vincent and The Grenadines in a second friendly on Saturday at Carlton, but would also like another tune-up match before going to Dominica.

"A lot of players are now coming back from out-of-season football so we have to lift the level of our fitness, but in general, winning 3-2 is a good result," he said

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 03:42:01 AM »
More $$$ support likely to be heading BFA's way. The BFA head had been an opposition MP in recent years but that changed 2 nights ago when the government lost the snap election. Expect some changes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:44:53 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Barbados recruits foreign-born soccer players for World Cup bid
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-barbados-playershortage&prov=ap&type=lgns

GO BRAVES!!!!

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (AP) -- Desperate to qualify for its first World Cup, Barbados is advertising in Europe and North America for players to compete for the small Caribbean island.

The former British colony, ranked 142 out of 201 countries by FIFA, is allowed only to recruit first-generation Barbadians born overseas. But Ronald Jones, president of the Barbados Football Association, said officials have requested permission to pursue the second generation as well.

"If we want to take football to the next level, we need to have an ability to reach into wherever Barbadians are," Jones said.

The recruitment campaign has generated strong interest and the Bajan Braves could include at least 13 foreign-born players on their 25-member roster. The association has bought newspaper advertisements in the U.S., Germany, Italy and England.

"Give Barbados a chance," a posting on the association Web site said. "Are you Barbadian by birth, nationality or descent? Let us check it out for you."

A similar effort in 2002 helped Barbados field a team that reached the 2002 CONCACAF semifinals, said Charles Husbands, the association's senior assistant secretary.

"Our aim is to go beyond that this time," Husbands said.

Barbados will play Dominica on Feb. 6 in its first qualifier for the 2010 World Cup, which will be played in South Africa.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados recruits foreign-born soccer players for World Cup bid
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »
 :applause: Go and get allyuh peoples oui, T&T did it, JA did it, the USA did it...all the best.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 12:29:58 PM »
ah still tryng to find a bajan grapevine connection in mih family.

mih brother know a trini girl who living in barbados via myspace. i wonder if dat count.

anyway...wikipedia list of british footballlers with bajan nationality - Ashley Cole, Fitz Hall, Dean Leacock, Tom Soares, Louie Soares, Emmerson Boyce, Marlon Harewood, Jonathan Forte, Adrian Pettigrew, Wayne Andrews, Neville Roach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_football_players_with_dual_nationality
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:35:53 PM by Andre »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »
SEND MORE BRAVES
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »

mih brother know a trini girl who living in barbados via myspace. i wonder if dat count.

anyway...wikipedia list of british footballlers with bajan nationality - Ashley Cole, Fitz Hall, Dean Leacock, Tom Soares, Louie Soares, Emmerson Boyce, Marlon Harewood, Jonathan Forte, Adrian Pettigrew, Wayne Andrews, Neville Roach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_football_players_with_dual_nationality

we dont even have that much......BTW if they get past dominica who do they have to play off against
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:01:48 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
we dont even have that much......BTW if they get past dominica who do they have to play off against
I sure we have dat many just in London alone.

ent Dominica goin and get Suspended or something just like Antigua
check the story here
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:08:08 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »
Barbados recruits foreign-born soccer players for World Cup bid

Desperate to qualify for its first World Cup, Barbados is advertising in Europe and North America for players to compete for the small Caribbean island.

The former British colony, ranked 142 out of 201 countries by FIFA, is allowed only to recruit first-generation Barbadians born overseas. But Ronald Jones, president of the Barbados Football Association, said officials have requested permission to pursue the second generation as well.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »
True to form, BFA head Ronald Jones named Minister of Education and Human Resource Development.

http://www.nationnews.com/story/340622492545797.php

Incidentally, ah believe the new Minister of Family, Youth Affairs, Sports and the Environment's mum is Trini.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:20:12 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »
Dominica 1 - Braves 1  :o

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2008, 05:04:49 PM »
New Govt going with football
Published on: 2/5/08.

by EZRA STUART

FOOTBALL IN BARBADOS will receive maximum support from Government and a home for the sport is on the agenda of the Democratic Labour Party (DLP).

Prime Minister David Thompson made this pledge while delivering the keynote address at the Barbados Football Association's (BFA) lavish annual awards ceremony at Almond Bay, Hastings, Christ Church, last Sunday night.

"There is a need for special facilities for football. Ronald [Jones, the BFA president] has spoken to me about the need for a proper football stadium. I know that despite their best efforts at the National Stadium, they didn't have the resources to make the facility the kind of facility needed," Thompson said.

"If the resources were available, they would probably have been used to upgrade the facility but that's not the place for it. They need to have a home for football in Barbados and the Democratic Labour Party is interested in that as well,"

He said football would be given priority with the establishment of constituency councils which would be provided with a monetary grant.

"We have agreed that every constituency in Barbados should have a fund which we are going to start with the sum of $100 000," Thompson said, but warned that all of the monies would not be spent on football.

"It is for a number of things which the constituency council, not just the MP (Member of Parliament) either, will sit down and work out are priorities in that constituency and football for me is a priority," Thompson said.

"And therefore, I will encourage all of my MPs to work with the facilitators and the organisers of football because in a sense football is the poor man's sport in this country and it needs the assistance," he said.

Speaking before an audience that included new Minister of Sport, Dr Esther Byer-Suckoo, Thompson emphasised that the resources would need to be used in a very positive way to enhance young people through sporting activities.

"So through providing that home as well as providing the resources which should be used to assist teams in paying for good quality coaches for developing proper coaching programmes, for assisting in purchasing gear and also in some cases to give stipends to persons who are in need, I believe that we can improve football in this country.

"And I want only to say, that I give you my commitment that the Democratic Labour Party and this Government will give maximum support to football in this country.

"Football is one of those sports in which people from all walks of life but particularly people who are the most marginalised in this country, are able to come together, play together and to leave with a sense of achievement and fulfilment," he said. (EZS)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »
Harewood keeps Barbados plans on the backburner

Aston Villa striker Marlon Harewood is to reject the chance to play World Cup football for Barbados at this stage of his career.

Barbados coach Eyre Sealy has spotted that the 27-year-old striker was born on the Caribbean island and was planning to call him up for the two-legged qualifier with Dominica.

But Harewood is concentrating on his football in England with Villa although he admitted he may consider playing for Barbados at a later date.

The former West Ham striker said: 'My whole family are Barbadian but playing for Barbados hadn't really crossed my mind.

'Truthfully my dad used to say 'don't go back to Barbados because it's not as good as playing for England.'

'Probably later on, maybe in another couple of years, I'll consider playing for them but not at this moment.

'I followed Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago in the World Cups and I think Barbados are trying to do something similar and get players like myself who are Barbadian to play for them.'

The Barbadian FA have put a lot of energy into tracing first generation Barbadians living and playing abroad and identified Harewood and Wigan's 28-year-old defender Emmerson Boyce, who was born in England but to Barbadian parents.

Harewood has still to start a Barclays Premier League game for Villa since his summer move from Upton Park but has made a big impression in recent games when appearing as a substitute.

He will fly out with the rest of his Villa team-mates today for a short sunshine break.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill confirmed: 'We are going to go away for a few days. We did it last year and got ourselves a bit together for a good end to the season and hopefully it works again.

'Because we have been going into games with a small squad and are using a lot of the same players every week, it will be a boost to them.

'We will do some training and work on a couple of things.'

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »

Aston Villa striker Marlon Harewood is to reject the chance to play World Cup football for Barbados at this stage of his career.

Barbados coach Eyre Sealy has spotted that the 27-year-old striker was born on the Caribbean island and was planning to call him up for the two-legged qualifier with Dominica.

But Harewood is concentrating on his football in England with Villa although he admitted he may consider playing for Barbados at a later date.

The former West Ham striker said: 'My whole family are Barbadian but playing for Barbados hadn't really crossed my mind.

'Truthfully my dad used to say 'don't go back to Barbados because it's not as good as playing for England.'

'Probably later on, maybe in another couple of years, I'll consider playing for them but not at this moment.'

So is he waiting to see if Barbados gets past Dominica to play in Stage 2?

Or will he hold out even longer for the Hexagonal?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 08:34:42 AM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 08:33:53 AM »

Yu Have a quicker chance to represent TTFF dread.. I feal to go try out for dem.. and I aint knock ball in years.. I still feal I could run circles round sum of dem fellas we have right now representing TNT..
War...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 08:34:55 AM »

'Probably later on, maybe in another couple of years, I'll consider playing for them but not at this moment.'

So is he waiting to see if Barbados gets past Dominica to play in Stage 2?

Or is he holding out even longer for the Hexagonal?
He c**t waiting for England to call him !!!!!!!!!!!!
War..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Harewood keeps Barbados plans on backburner
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 10:56:17 PM »

'Probably later on, maybe in another couple of years, I'll consider playing for them but not at this moment.

'I followed Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago in the World Cups and I think Barbados are trying to do something similar and get players like myself who are Barbadian to play for them.'

The Barbadian FA have put a lot of energy into tracing first generation Barbadians living and playing abroad and identified Harewood and Wigan's 28-year-old defender Emmerson Boyce, who was born in England but to Barbadian parents.

Harewood has still to start a Barclays Premier League game for Villa since his summer move from Upton Park but has made a big impression in recent games when appearing as a substitute.

He will fly out with the rest of his Villa team-mates today for a short sunshine break.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill confirmed: 'We are going to go away for a few days. We did it last year and got ourselves a bit together for a good end to the season and hopefully it works again.

'Because we have been going into games with a small squad and are using a lot of the same players every week, it will be a boost to them.

'We will do some training and work on a couple of things.'

source: soccernet.com

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2008, 03:11:43 AM »
He c**t waiting for England to call him !!!!!!!!!!!!
War..

Most likely.

But he has to consider the fact that he's now 27 and has yet to play for England. Maybe he thinks he has a better chance now that England has a new manager. But are the 2 league goals he's scored so far this season really going to impress Capello?

If he waits until the next qualifying campaign he'll be 31, which is not extremely old, but he has to know that he would be more effective for Barbados now.

If Barbados manages to make it to Stage 2 then don't be surprised if he gets a sudden change of heart.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 03:19:34 AM by Zeppo »
- Xavi

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »

'We will do some training and work on a couple of things.
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »
Why de Hell people just repeating this article.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>