June 02, 2024, 03:50:13 PM

Author Topic: Football question from the cheap seats  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
Football question from the cheap seats
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:00:38 AM »
how come Israel is in the European league?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football question from the cheap seats
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »

Very good question... especially considering the Geography. 

My uneducated guess would be that it's a political compromise born of necessity.  The other logical option would have been to put them in the Asia group, but considering what occured in Munich in 1972 it would seem to make sense to not expose Israeli athletes to unnecessary danger by sending them to Arab countries and  vice versa.  Just to illustrate, some of the countries in "Asia" include: Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Lebanon, Palestine, Bahrain, Kuwait... Syria.

Not very palatable options.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 11:42:28 AM »
I guess the Palestinians have no clubs huh? Considering they cannot cross the road without permission.

So in the name of the game, Israel is allowed to compete in a league well outside their geography to save them from being harmed on and off the field. Some one felt sorry (or paid) to allow this. The game is that important but lives, apologies, mending fences are not.

look, let me hush oui...ah feeling a feeling... >:(

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »

My uneducated guess would be that it's a political compromise born of necessity.  The other logical option would have been to put them in the Asia group, but considering what occured in Munich in 1972 it would seem to make sense to not expose Israeli athletes to unnecessary danger by sending them to Arab countries and  vice versa.  Just to illustrate, some of the countries in "Asia" include: Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Lebanon, Palestine, Bahrain, Kuwait... Syria.

Imagine 100,000 screaming Iranians in the Azadi watching Israel play a qualifier or Asian Cup knock out match.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »
I guess the Palestinians have no clubs huh? Considering they cannot cross the road without permission.

So in the name of the game, Israel is allowed to compete in a league well outside their geography to save them from being harmed on and off the field. Some one felt sorry (or paid) to allow this. The game is that important but lives, apologies, mending fences are not.

Nah QM, for Israel to play in UEFA is actually much to their disadvantage... UEFA is the most competitive confederation in FIFA.  Meanwhile the Asian powerhouses are Japan, S. Korea... Saudi Arabia even.  Israel would stand a much better chance making a World Cup had they played in Asia.

------

Jah Gol, more than 100,000 screaming at them... might be a couple thousand would-be martyrs lining up to bomb whatever hotel the team would be staying at.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:20:46 PM »

Nah QM, for Israel to play in UEFA is actually much to their disadvantage... UEFA is the most competitive confederation in FIFA.  Meanwhile the Asian powerhouses are Japan, S. Korea... Saudi Arabia even.  Israel would stand a much better chance making a World Cup had they played in Asia.

------

Jah Gol, more than 100,000 screaming at them... might be a couple thousand would-be martyrs lining up to bomb whatever hotel the team would be staying at.

Sad but true.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 03:29:30 AM »

Are you getting the symptoms?  ;D

n 1956 the Israel Football Association was admitted to the AFC. In the early 1970s the Israel Football Association was expelled from the AFC due to political pressure from Arab and Muslim that refused to play against Israel. For 20 years the Israel Football Association was not affiliated with any confederation and was playing provisionally in the OFC and in the UEFA until in 1994 it was admitted to the UEFA as a full member.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »

Imagine 100,000 screaming Iranians in the Azadi watching Israel play a qualifier or Asian Cup knock out match.

Would never happen....many of the Arab nations refuse to play against Israel (since in their eyes Israel doesnt exist).

If they ever happened to meet an Arab country in a WC, its very likely that the Arabs would forfeit the match

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 11:30:03 AM »

Are you getting the symptoms?  ;D

n 1956 the Israel Football Association was admitted to the AFC. In the early 1970s the Israel Football Association was expelled from the AFC due to political pressure from Arab and Muslim that refused to play against Israel. For 20 years the Israel Football Association was not affiliated with any confederation and was playing provisionally in the OFC and in the UEFA until in 1994 it was admitted to the UEFA as a full member.

Good find... never knew anything about this  :beermug:

1]; } ?>