May 22, 2024, 11:05:35 AM

Author Topic: Fowler better than Yorke?  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fowler better than Yorke?
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:39:51 PM »
Fowler signs with North Queensland Fury
By Laine Clark (The Roar)

Signing Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler gives A-League newcomers North Queensland Fury “instant credibility,” according to their coach Ian Ferguson.

And it may also deliver the 2009-10 debutants another big name - Socceroos midfielder Scott Chipperfield.

After confirming Fowler had signed a two-season deal as their inaugural marquee player, Ferguson hoped arguably the A-League’s biggest coup would also help lure the Switzerland-based Chipperfield to Townsville.

“I think so. But I would like players to come here because he wants to, not because I have a certain player,” he told AAP.

“But I am sure at the back of some player’s minds they will be thinking ‘they’ve got Robbie Fowler, how good is it’.

“I spoke to Scott a couple of days ago and he is definitely still interested.”

But the name on everyone’s lips at North Queensland on Wednesday is the 33-year-old Fowler, still known as “God” by Liverpool fans.

“It gives us instant credibility,” Ferguson said of the former England striker.

“People take you seriously when you announce someone like that.

“When guys like Dwight Yorke came out for Sydney FC (in 2005-06) people started looking up at the A-League.

“When he (Yorke) left it was disappointing and I don’t think we have ever replaced someone like Dwight Yorke.

“But this boy is on a par with Dwight, actually I think he is better, but I am biased.”

The Fury had been sweating on a decision from Fowler since he returned to England on January 22 to discuss a potential move to Australia with his family after spending a week in Townsville.

“I had nothing but good things to tell my family about the football side of things and the lifestyle opportunities North Queensland can offer us,” Fowler said in a statement.

“From a football perspective everything Fury coach Ian Ferguson put on the table and showed me was first class and the enthusiasm and drive of everyone at the club is fantastic.

“It’s a huge decision for my family, but it’s also an opportunity to continue my football career in a truly wonderful part of the world.”

Fowler - currently overseeing business interests in Dubai - will arrive in Townsville in March, a month earlier than expected in order to help acclimatise for the sometimes humid north Queensland conditions.

Ferguson and chairman Don Matheson had been in talks with Fowler since he was released by English Premier League side Blackburn recently.

After meeting a two-page list of demands that arrived as late as Tuesday night, Ferguson and Matheson proudly announced they had got their man at Townsville on Wednesday morning.

“He’s happy about it. When he was out there, he was obviously impressed,” Fowler’s agent George Scott said.

“He’s looking forward to going back and playing football because he has been frustrated for about a year.

“They weren’t playing him at Blackburn and he was injured before that, so he’s just looking forward to going back to playing football.

“It’ll be a great lifestyle for him and his family.”

Since making his professional debut at 17, Fowler has been hugely popular, but has had his share of controversy.

He made world headlines in 1999 when he taunted Everton fans by pretending to snort cocaine on the touchline while celebrating a goal for Liverpool in a Merseyside derby.

Fowler will become the second high-profile English Premier League star to play in the A-League after Yorke.

Coincidentally Sydney tried to lure Fowler to Australia in 2007.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fowler better than Yorke?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
well man hadda say something to hype up his player...but yorke got results with sydney!
Back in Trini...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »
Fowler was a goalscoring machine at his peak but he loss it bad with injuries and age. He has nowhere near the versatility and all-round ability to play football that Yorke was able to fall back on.

Pure hype.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »
pure tat tics
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »
maybe better at investing he money...

but dat is about it.

Corbeaux

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:42:38 PM »
Fowler was a good goalscorer but he is in nowhere near the class of Yorke.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
Fowler is 33 ... Yorke is what? 37?

Can Fowler even get a sweat in the EPL right now? - talk done.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »
Some people like chicken some like fish. Well in this case some like Fowl.
He did say he was bias, probably a Liverpool Man U ting
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 06:17:45 PM »
Fowler will be better than Yorke...

...if he wins the league with North Queensland Fury,

come back out of international retirement and helps England qualify for the world cup (and would have to do so comfortably considering England eh no strugglin team in their region)

gets transfered back to a mid lower table Championship side and help them not only get promoted, but WIN their league title MID SEASON

and play atleast 60+ percent of the time in that first year in the prem

so yeah... its probable.

no biggie.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:19:21 PM by Jefferz »
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
1 WORD NOOOOOOOOOOOO
2 WORDS HELL NOOOOOOOOOO
3 WORDS ARE U SERIOUSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Robbie Fowler makes A-League switch to Perth Glory
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8646021.stm

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler will play for A-League club Perth Glory from next season.

The 35-year-old will be Perth's foreign marquee player, which means his wages are excluded from their salary cap.

"It's exciting for football fans in Western Australia that a legend has decided to play for us," said Perth chairman Tony Sage.

Fowler was released from his contract with cash-strapped North Queensland Fury after one season in Townsville.

The former England international, who had been linked to Sydney FC, joins ex-Derby, Bolton and Blackburn defender Andy Todd at the Perth Oval.

"Robbie had a number of clubs chasing his signature, both in the Hyundai A-League and from the Middle-East and we're delighted he's decided to join Perth Glory," added Sage.

Fowler is the fourth highest scorer in Premier league history, with 163 goals, following two spells for Liverpool.

He also played for Leeds United, Manchester City, Cardiff City and Blackburn.

Fowler moved to North Queensland in February 2009, scoring nine goals in 26 appearances as the Fury finished seventh in the A-League.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »
Umm...Yorke is a hero and all that to us but Fowler nickname to the Kop is God.
Robbie Fowler was far better than Yorke when they both played in the EPL. Fowler was the leading scorer in the EPL after Shearer, despite his injuries( and drug habit rumours) until he was sold by Liverpool. That was when Andy Cole passed him.

If u ever see the things that Robbie Fowler did in a liverpool shirt since the age of 18, you would agree that Yorke is second best.

Yorke at 33, in a midfield role, might be better than Fowler at 33.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »
1 WORD NOOOOOOOOOOOO
2 WORDS HELL NOOOOOOOOOO

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

weary meh belly huttin... ah go have to fire meh self fuh bussing out laughing so loud.....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »
1 WORD NOOOOOOOOOOOO
2 WORDS HELL NOOOOOOOOOO

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

weary meh belly huttin... ah go have to fire meh self fuh bussing out laughing so loud.....

D benefit of wukin 4 yuhself
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 04:25:49 PM »
well he did say he was bias ;D

1]; } ?>