May 21, 2024, 09:57:06 AM

Author Topic: Rastafari and dreadlocks Thread  (Read 71340 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rastafari and dreadlocks
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 07:37:15 AM »
5All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but the few rastasfarians I know, or should I say who sport the hairstyle are in no way shape or form HOLY. One guy I know went from Catholic, to MUSLIMEEN pro coup to Rastafarian post coup.
So what gives?

Sounds like de man jes searching for himself.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2006, 07:42:17 AM »
Nah Tallman I think in the latter it was more a case of OH shit boy police could shoot meh or lock meh up let me grow some dreads yes! Like I said he is in no way shape or form Holy

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2006, 08:04:21 AM »
5All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but the few rastasfarians I know, or should I say who sport the hairstyle are in no way shape or form HOLY. One guy I know went from Catholic, to MUSLIMEEN pro coup to Rastafarian post coup.
So what gives?

Yeah.  BUt how long yuh go search.  I have ah real brethren (Ah go withhold the name, but ah sure real Pres, Naps, and Benedicts men know him, cause he was a big baller).  De man did come from an upper middle class family that is respected in society. He went searching, abandon he Catholic upbringing and turn Ras, to the dismay of he family.  Yeah he went on a search, which eventually led him to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.  What he thought he was going to find in there was not what he eventually adopted (He was looking for somethig Rasta).  Today, the man is a devout Orthodox CHRISTIAN.  Is like he went full circle.  How long ah man go search, cause real men just knotting up they head and not doing nothing after that. This "search" thing is often used as an excuse to do nothing.  Remember, God does punish men for not using they talents.  Rasta is not a spiritual thing, is an earthly thing, cause the focus is on what yuh eat, how yuh look.  Is ironic that men who say they forsake vanity does segregate by the way they look.  Is like is a form of reverse segregation.  This ain't no dis, cause I respect every man as an individual.  But too many fellas using this Rasta thing as an excuse to exist in a vacuum of nothingness and that is ah sin.  Men must use they talents.  If yuh good at Math, so be it.  If yuh good at business, so be it.  If yuh is an walking footballl archive (that is for Tallman ;D), so be it, but maximize yuh God given talent.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:38:46 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 09:00:02 AM »
Tenorsaw..

I know we must not judge people, but you ever feel a man ent fulfill he potential because he under Rasta vibes? That same point yuh just bring up about man living in a vacuum.

They have a two youths who were in UWI with me...both went St marys. I ent go call no name but one was doing engineering the other did a Econ/Maths combo.

One man reach final year Engineering ready to graduate....turn bobo, drop out and peddling nuts on the highway.

next man was a boss in maths....he was always lil outa of it..and he used to burn he lil post before coming to class. but the man used to sit in the back of the class and jest doe be on the lecturer. When is home work or exam...pure A. I remember I ketchin meh nenenen with some kinda formula and he say Joseph...do so, move this number here and punch dat on yuh calculator. The man was jest good.

This fella turn Ras in he second year...stop going class...used to meditate on Rock and in d bush all parts of the campus. When yuh get the shout man have a first class in Econ/maths...Whey!!! now that crack all dem girls who studying hard and ting mental....they only bawling But How??

But yuh know with all the man talent and brains...he dodgin traffic on the highway, taking rain and sun hustling nuts, in the name of Selassie.....but maybe he happy doing that.

It come like how we here does watch Hardest and say waste of talent....he coulda be so much more....but the man happy with what he doing.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 09:32:38 AM »
"judge not lest ye be judged"

we cant watch a man and say he not using his talents...cause then we are judging him, and who are we to judge.  it have plenty people who 'use they talents' and now they not happy with what they doing, they fed up of the rat race, the daily grind, why u feel ppl who seemingly succesful does commit suicide and engange in other anti-scoail, destructive behavior.

i ent go lie, sometimes i and all does feel to go away from the city for a while just to clear my head, commune with nature, but i have to be realisitic...i could go but when i come back i mightnt have no place to live :)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 09:51:34 AM »

So what gives?

Yeah.  BUt how long yuh go search.  I have ah real brethren (Ah go withhold the name, but ah sure real Pres, Naps, and Benedicts men know him, cause he was a big baller).  De man did come from an upper middle class family that is respected in society. He went searching, abandon he Catholic upbringing and turn Ras, to the dismay of he family.  Yeah he went on a search, which eventually led him to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.  What he thought he was going to find in there was not what he eventually adopted (He was looking for somethig Rasta).  Today, the man is a devout Orthodox CHRISTIAN.  Is like he went full circle.  How long ah man go search, cause real men just knotting up they head and not doing nothing after that. This "search" thing is often used as an excuse to do nothing.  Remember, God does punish men for not using they talents.  Rasta is not a spiritual thing, is an earthly thing, cause the focus is on what yuh eat, how yuh look.  Is ironic that men who say they forsake vanity does segregate by the way they look.  Is like is a form of reverse segregation.  This ain't no dis, cause I respect every man as an individual.  But too many fellas using this Rasta thing as an excuse to exist in a vacuum of nothingness and that is ah sin.  Men must use they talents.  If yuh good at Math, so be it.  If yuh good at business, so be it.  If yuh is an walking footballl archive (that is for Tallman ;D), so be it, but maximize yuh God given talent.

Whoever could balance both (searching AND maximizing their God-given talent), that is real impressive.

But a lot of people does have to do the introspection/searching first before fully utilizing their God-given talents. They don't initially pursue it because they believe or they were led to believe that it eh practical or realistic or whatever, so for them it remains a dream they would like to do "someday".

Somebody I know went a big med school and leave it to start painting. She invest her time in it and she finally feeling fulfilled. I suppose sometimes yuh have to being doing what you DONT want to do in order to push yourself fuh what you really should be doing. The inner voice inside gets stifled sometimes.

Tenorsaw I hear you on de "how long a man go search" question...if yuh searching, do it with dedication and priority...cause time is going.

But on with the Rastafari and dreadlocks discussion, I learning things I didn't know before.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:54:56 AM by Grande man »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 10:44:14 AM »
Tenorsaw..

I know we must not judge people, but you ever feel a man ent fulfill he potential because he under Rasta vibes? That same point yuh just bring up about man living in a vacuum.

They have a two youths who were in UWI with me...both went St marys. I ent go call no name but one was doing engineering the other did a Econ/Maths combo.

One man reach final year Engineering ready to graduate....turn bobo, drop out and peddling nuts on the highway.

next man was a boss in maths....he was always lil outa of it..and he used to burn he lil post before coming to class. but the man used to sit in the back of the class and jest doe be on the lecturer. When is home work or exam...pure A. I remember I ketchin meh nenenen with some kinda formula and he say Joseph...do so, move this number here and punch dat on yuh calculator. The man was jest good.

This fella turn Ras in he second year...stop going class...used to meditate on Rock and in d bush all parts of the campus. When yuh get the shout man have a first class in Econ/maths...Whey!!! now that crack all dem girls who studying hard and ting mental....they only bawling But How??

But yuh know with all the man talent and brains...he dodgin traffic on the highway, taking rain and sun hustling nuts, in the name of Selassie.....but maybe he happy doing that.

It come like how we here does watch Hardest and say waste of talent....he coulda be so much more....but the man happy with what he doing.

Ent touches.  Man have they God-given talent and burying it. Man like to refer to scripture to defend they argument, so ah go follow suit.  Dem men they vexing God.  Remember the virgins them.  Some ah them ain't add oil to they lamp and it run out before the groom arrived.  If yuh doh use your talent and make it grow, yuh will lose it.  Man could say bout he forsake vanity.  I will say he waste he damn talent.  God say so.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 11:52:52 AM »
Ah like dis discussion.

Just to give ah idea, I did O’s in 81 and A’s in 83, CIC. In dem days, it didn’t have no dread in CIC. I remember Ian Clauzel, Mucurapo Compre, when he hit de scene, I might be wrong, but he was de first dread dat I was aware of, in school. All de other youth men in Carenage who had dreads dropped out of junior sec. All! And to me, dem fellas was only following de older fellas on de block, who had dreads, and only, all ah dem, worked either 10-days or on some construction site. It had de others who was sellin weed. But de point is, to talk to one ah dem, much like Touches said earlier, and yuh coulda tie dem up easy easy because dey had no idea bout Rastafari and what it supposedly was all about. But dey sure would try to feed yuh some BS in ah heartbeat when yuh first ask dem.

You couldn walk into no bank in Trini in dem days and see no dread. Dread wasn sellin in nobody store unless dey had dey own lil fruit stand. But it had 1 or 2 at UWI. I remember men gettin real fight down playing organized ball for any big team. I remember Clauzel gettin drop because he didn’t want to cut he hair, after having gone to Central America and star for de youth team. Is nuff fight down, and I used to wonder why ah man go choose dat, although I eh go lie, I wanted to knot-up too eh, but dat is becuz nuff young girls was fallin for dat sh!t.

I doh know if anybody on here ever play ball in Pt. Cumana, down Carenage, by de primary school, in Pablo (Paul Clarke) league. Pablo used to make yuh comb yuh hair before ah game and tuck in yuh shirt. He even used to line yuh up and inspect yuh fingernails. If yuh nails dirty, yuh eh playin. If yuh had de kinda hair dat does roll up real quick, halfway thru de game, yuh was sure to get ah whistle for having nutty hair and even sent to de side to comb yuh hair and sit for bout 10 mins, especially when yuh playin against Pablo team. Anybody on here remember dat? I eh lyin. Ask any man who play ball down Pt. Cumana in dem days. No rasta couldn play in Pablo league.

Ah know dat eh enlightening bout de Rastafari topic, but sh!t, I just bored at work and decide to put in my piece.
Toujour Pret!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 12:34:52 PM »
Ah like dis discussion.

Just to give ah idea, I did O’s in 81 and A’s in 83, CIC. In dem days, it didn’t have no dread in CIC. I remember Ian Clauzel, Mucurapo Compre, when he hit de scene, I might be wrong, but he was de first dread dat I was aware of, in school. All de other youth men in Carenage who had dreads dropped out of junior sec. All! And to me, dem fellas was only following de older fellas on de block, who had dreads, and only, all ah dem, worked either 10-days or on some construction site. It had de others who was sellin weed. But de point is, to talk to one ah dem, much like Touches said earlier, and yuh coulda tie dem up easy easy because dey had no idea bout Rastafari and what it supposedly was all about. But dey sure would try to feed yuh some BS in ah heartbeat when yuh first ask dem.

You couldn walk into no bank in Trini in dem days and see no dread. Dread wasn sellin in nobody store unless dey had dey own lil fruit stand. But it had 1 or 2 at UWI. I remember men gettin real fight down playing organized ball for any big team. I remember Clauzel gettin drop because he didn’t want to cut he hair, after having gone to Central America and star for de youth team. Is nuff fight down, and I used to wonder why ah man go choose dat, although I eh go lie, I wanted to knot-up too eh, but dat is becuz nuff young girls was fallin for dat sh!t.

I doh know if anybody on here ever play ball in Pt. Cumana, down Carenage, by de primary school, in Pablo (Paul Clarke) league. Pablo used to make yuh comb yuh hair before ah game and tuck in yuh shirt. He even used to line yuh up and inspect yuh fingernails. If yuh nails dirty, yuh eh playin. If yuh had de kinda hair dat does roll up real quick, halfway thru de game, yuh was sure to get ah whistle for having nutty hair and even sent to de side to comb yuh hair and sit for bout 10 mins, especially when yuh playin against Pablo team. Anybody on here remember dat? I eh lyin. Ask any man who play ball down Pt. Cumana in dem days. No rasta couldn play in Pablo league.

Ah know dat eh enlightening bout de Rastafari topic, but sh!t, I just bored at work and decide to put in my piece.

I eh go fight down the Ras dem, but ah go say that man must know what they stand for and the connotations of what they represent and be willing to deal with the repercussions of the path they choose.  It's not fair to stereotype man by how they look, cause there are a lot of educated men that are roots Ras.  It have man in parliament back home (Fitzgerald Hinds) with locks.  I ain't know what he stand for, but the point is that yuh cyar judge ah man by the cover.  At the same time, the world is a place where image seems to prevail over substance, so men must be prepared to be ridiculed and stereotyped if this is the way they want to go.  At the same time, man want to say they is Nazarite and they in the world, engaging in worldly things.  Nazarite was men like Sampson, Solomon, Christ, John the Baptist.  Dem men was Nazarite.  If you want to separate youself, then do it fully.  Notice too, all dem men except Christ fall short of the glory. 

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 01:18:59 PM »
Ah like dis discussion.

Pablo league boy!!!!!  hahahahahaaha  those were the days.  It had a muslim family used to live across the road from the field.  They put up a big wrought iron thing with spikes in it to buss ball if it coming over their fence!  lol  After game (I used to play with Superstar Rangers) it was sea bath then home.

I go wait a five before responding to the general discussion on Rastafari bisiness, and having a dread.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:24:25 PM by Jahyouth »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2006, 09:11:22 AM »
SO hear d latest twist to the Rastafari compilations...

Yours truly hop in a "PH" taxi and the driver is a Bobo.

Soldier have he head tie up...he growth of beard on he face..he lil wooden beads necklace. He Selassie pin orn badge on he shirt.

But what make meh start him with a talk is he have a big Ethopia flag on the ceiling of the car, a ethopia and a lion of judah thing hanging from he windscreen and a big lion of judah scarf on he dashboard. And by the tachometer and thing he have he pix of Selassie all over.

So I say breds...yuh like Ethopia...whas dah scene about?

So he start up that is the motherland and dis and dat.

I say ohho...but where Home is for you now...ent is Trinidad yuh living and working, ent yuh born here?....why yuh ent put up a Trinidad flag on yuh dashboard and ceiling and why yuh ent have Doctor Eric Williams instead...

Ras say I ketch him yes....how he never think bout that...and I talking sense.

So I say, yuh feel yuh going Ethopia anytime soon?....what it have for you across dey?

Man hit meh a talk bout heights and journey and the escape from the babylon system.

Now I ent want to form a opinion of the man as thats he thing....but yuh must ask them some probing questions to see what heights dey orn, just to see.

Now alyuh go say I victimising the Ras and dem...but I just curious thats all and being open.

P.s....last time I hop in the "ph" a few days later a trini flag was sharing space on the rearview mirror.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2006, 10:23:32 AM »
Look like yuh convert ah man to being a patriot??

Yuh know I remember reading this years ago (ah had to google it)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1639646.stm

but its short and interesting...the different perspectives
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2006, 11:37:34 AM »
Dutty good link there...

I have meh own thoughts but we go see how this thing develops.

If I say the men who move from the West were tricked...if yuh have no idea of the story and yuh impartial and yuh reading this jest so. You would think people going mad out there.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »
So I say breds...yuh like Ethopia...whas dah scene about?

Ethiopia is very significant to Rastafari mainly because of its relation to His Majesty. It also symbolizes the resilience of Africans because it is the only African country that has never been colonized. In a historical aspect, Rastafari looked toward Africa and Ethiopia in particular in order to rediscover their  heritage. Remember, in the late 20s and early 30s which was the dawn of Rastafari, black man was still being heavily persecuted and of course in the Caribbean colonialism was alive and well. They felt marginalized and out of place in Jamaica. To illustrate those feelings, there is a Rastafarian saying: "Jamaica is an island, but it is not I land"; also back in the day when Marcus Garvey was asked "Are you an African or a Jamaican?", he answered "I will not give up a continent for an island!". Ethiopia is seen by many to be associated with the Garden of Eden:

Genesis 2:10-13
10And a river went out of Eden to water the garden; and from thence it was parted, and became into four heads.
11The name of the first is Pison: that is it which compasseth the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold;
12And the gold of that land is good: there is bdellium and the onyx stone.
13And the name of the second river is Gihon: the same is it that compasseth the whole land of Ethiopia.

Other than that, there are many references to Ethiopia in the Bible. It is also associated with lost Ark of the Covenant.

When yuh hear Rastaman talking bout repartriation, sometimes it is physical, but many times it is spiritual, cultural, psychological etc.

BTW, Shashemane was not exclusively made available to Rastafarians. It was made available to all Africans in the diaspora who supported Ethiopia during the second Italo–Abyssinian War and its aftermath. It have plenty Trinis over there too. One ah dem is Rickie Nelson (Strike Squad member) brother.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 09:06:26 PM »
jahyouth, where ur thoughts man???   u still sitting and watching?

anyway, here is what i think about the fella touches encountered.  he is that sort of rasta who probably takes things at face value i.e. he know the basic tenets of Rastafari , probably got a few more nuggets from the bible or from a next bredren and gone with that.  perhaps he didn't investigate for himself, as a matter of fact if touches was able to stump the man with a few simple questions then i think he definitely did not do his homework so to speak.  as with any thing one has to do some searching before accepting something wholeheartedly.  for example, i too would like to go to Africa one day but to do what?  how will i live, how will i provide for my family?   i am not a farmer by trade but i can learn.  i used to take spanish lessons with a lady in mon repo; her husband was a rasta, and he had a lil plot outside the house.  sometimes when i come by the house he outside tilling the soil, sometimes he inside playing the bass guitar and sining rasta tune (out of key i might add)    the lady come home and no food cook- is that the Rastafarianism i want to subscribe too?? 

i once had a class with an ethiopian  professor who was named after emperor selassie and he said while the emperor did build schools, roads etc. people were still starving etc.  the professor didn't sound too fond of the emperor.  there is an interview where Bob Marley himself acknowledged the famine that existed in Ethiopia- and that was in 1973 or so, i remember growing up in the 80s and seeing vivid images of starving ethiopians.   would a God allow his own people to starve??

ok, lemme stop now.  keep the thoughts coming.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2006, 09:47:49 AM »
Question for the dreadlocks who have answered....

Whats d price for alyuh to cut alyuh hair?

SO if alyuh get a big wuk...in yuh field and yuh employer say Welcome aboard but yuh hadda cut that hair.

Alyuh go tell them man F^&k away or yuh running to the barber?

;D

Why I asking this question is two fold.....

One to see alyuh take on it,

Secondly to see how much the "Jah Vibes" look is worth.

Let me also save you with the rebuttal of matthew 16:26.

The eternal student,

Touches

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2006, 10:35:42 AM »
Whats d price for alyuh to cut alyuh hair?
It doh have ah price fuh dat, keep yuh money  ;D. If I have tuh put razor tuh my locks, it would have to be of my own volition. Yuh cyar pay me tuh do dat.

SO if alyuh get a big wuk...in yuh field and yuh employer say Welcome aboard but yuh hadda cut that hair.

Alyuh go tell them man F^&k away or yuh running to the barber?
I go jes tell him "nah, is awright, ah go pass".

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2006, 12:06:03 PM »
there is no price for me to cut my hair. period.

also, i am in academia, perhaps one of the few fields save self employment where i could go for a wuk with a big natty on my head and be very confident of getting the job b/c in this field a chairperson is looking for what a peson could bring to a particular dept, what classes they could teach, how much articles they publish etc., dem ent care how somebody looking, if they brown, green, purple whatever  :D

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »
there is no price for me to cut my hair. period.

also, i am in academia, perhaps one of the few fields save self employment where i could go for a wuk with a big natty on my head and be very confident of getting the job b/c in this field a chairperson is looking for what a peson could bring to a particular dept, what classes they could teach, how much articles they publish etc., dem ent care how somebody looking, if they brown, green, purple whatever  :D

Jus outta curiosity...would that apply anywhere in academia?

Or do you think if you went lookin for ah wukk at an Ivy league school it might be a different scene
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2006, 12:17:56 PM »
hmm.  breds i really don't know.  i suppose the ivy league would have their old boys network but who knows...stranger things have happened.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2006, 01:30:35 PM »
hmm.  breds i really don't know.  i suppose the ivy league would have their old boys network but who knows...stranger things have happened.

This is just from my limited experience as a grad student, observing things at my own school as well as visiting other campuses and meeting people there and maybe I'm treading on thin ice by generalising but I think diversity is fashionable in academia these days, esp at prestigious institutions.  It seems as if there are some people who have an agenda to appear open-minded/enlightened and having locks might actually be a small advantage in some situations.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »
SO Fari...this piece of lyrics yuh hit we in the first page of the thread

rastafari is a journey i think. is a journey of self discovery of introspection, of reasoning both with oneself and with others, dread or no dread.  a baldhead man could feel rasta in his heart but at the same time he cant know 100% what it is to be rasta because he dont feel the persecution daily.  i remember when machel tie up he head bobo style a rasta write a letter in the papers asking him to please not wear that.   

So why a man cyar shave he head...take the big wuk...pin he bage on he chest, bun he spliff and bawl Jah Rastafari.......ent he is still a rasta?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2006, 02:08:41 PM »
"Buffalo soldier...bald head rasta...fighting for survival..............."

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2006, 02:13:47 PM »
BTW, Shashemane was not exclusively made available to Rastafarians. It was made available to all Africans in the diaspora who supported Ethiopia during the second Italo–Abyssinian War and its aftermath. It have plenty Trinis over there too. One ah dem is Rickie Nelson (Strike Squad member) brother.

Interesting point. Something I discovered last year about the supporters of Ethiopia during the Italian war. There were volunteers who wanted to go to Africa and help Ethiopia defend its soverignty from many parts of the world including The USA, the Caribbean but also from other countries one might not expect such as Mexico and Colombia. As a matter of fact there were heated protests against the Italians in the aforementioned countries.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 03:01:38 PM by Tallman »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2006, 02:18:01 PM »
jahyouth, where ur thoughts man???   u still sitting and watching?

anyway, here is what i think about the fella touches encountered.  he is that sort of rasta who probably takes things at face value i.e. he know the basic tenets of Rastafari , probably got a few more nuggets from the bible or from a next bredren and gone with that.  perhaps he didn't investigate for himself, as a matter of fact if touches was able to stump the man with a few simple questions then i think he definitely did not do his homework so to speak.  as with any thing one has to do some searching before accepting something wholeheartedly.  for example, i too would like to go to Africa one day but to do what?  how will i live, how will i provide for my family?    i am not a farmer by trade but i can learn.  i used to take spanish lessons with a lady in mon repo; her husband was a rasta, and he had a lil plot outside the house.  sometimes when i come by the house he outside tilling the soil, sometimes he inside playing the bass guitar and sining rasta tune (out of key i might add)    the lady come home and no food cook- is that the Rastafarianism i want to subscribe too?? 

i once had a class with an ethiopian  professor who was named after emperor selassie and he said while the emperor did build schools, roads etc. people were still starving etc.  the professor didn't sound too fond of the emperor.  there is an interview where Bob Marley himself acknowledged the famine that existed in Ethiopia- and that was in 1973 or so, i remember growing up in the 80s and seeing vivid images of starving ethiopians.   would a God allow his own people to starve??

ok, lemme stop now.  keep the thoughts coming.

There are many things one can do in Africa to provide for one's family. I'll be travelling to W. Africa in December. When I return I'll let you know what you can do. Stay tuned. ;)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2006, 03:05:37 PM »
SO Fari...this piece of lyrics yuh hit we in the first page of the thread

rastafari is a journey i think. is a journey of self discovery of introspection, of reasoning both with oneself and with others, dread or no dread.  a baldhead man could feel rasta in his heart but at the same time he cant know 100% what it is to be rasta because he dont feel the persecution daily.  i remember when machel tie up he head bobo style a rasta write a letter in the papers asking him to please not wear that.   

So why a man cyar shave he head...take the big wuk...pin he bage on he chest, bun he spliff and bawl Jah Rastafari.......ent he is still a rasta?

Absolutely. Plenty people does do it.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2006, 08:51:49 PM »
so wait nah..is from dem Rasta dat Bush and he Neo-cons get dis 'bun down Babylon(Iraq)' thing eh?. ;D

ah was really really bored so dats why ah end up reading this thread lol

even though it was enlightening why am i still leaning towards the stereotypical decription that some people use it as an excuse to be plain lazy?..by that i mean smoking weed, no job, selling incense on de street corner and no direction as to where to head next in life...but then again i just learnt they get called 'pseudo Rasta' and sometimes 'searchers' by real Believers.
also i didnt know it had different types of Rastafari movements.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline truthseeker

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goal in yuh rucc**tunse
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
Rastafari (and this is coming from a real baldhead) is an African cultural form of resistance that LOOSELY articulates its own perspective of viewing the world. It has SEVERAL informed spritual, religious and political viewpoints, that along with the fact that there is no central church or temple, or bishop or canon to organise a dictating philosophy ensure that Rastas worldwide must develop THEIR OWN IDEAS about faith and their relationship to the society they live in. This is the primary reason why rastas in different countries, and even different parts of town all have varying ideas about faith, HIM Selassie I, and how those ideas should play out in their lives.

To hear some elders like the rastafarian scholar, Horace campbell, tell it, Rastas need to take an initiative in technical and scientific matters. in other words, they should become doctors, scientists, engineers and the like. Shashamane and all of Africa needs that level of scholarship in order to regain its footing on the world stage. Marcus Garvey himself asked the question: where is the black man's nation, his doctors, lawyers, engineers and statesmen?

So for many of the Youths who are dropping out of school, I think much of this is a result of their own confusion rather than the principles of the faith. And even more significantly, it may be a result of the pressures associated with succeeding an achieving at a high level. i woud even suggest that many of these youths who fall by the wayside may have fallen because the degrees that they were pursuing may not have been their idea in the first place. many have gone to school to satisfy the whims and desires of their parent sponsors or to meet certain family expectations. So dropping out of school and becoming a natty may have been the highest form of rebellion on their part.

I and I is a rastaman at heart but my idea of rasta means that one must be well read (not only on Africa), well educated or one should use their particular talent, artistic or otherwise to develop a business  capable of sustaining themselves and their family, and even better, a business capable of hiring and training the youths. Many of the books that psuedo-rastas quote from (but never read) are written by men like Cheikh Anta Diop, John henrik Clarke, Chancellor Williams etc... These men were all highly educated and could go anywhere in the world and be acepted for their intelligence.
Google Cheikh Anta Diop and read his biography. he was an EXTREMELY BRILLIANT MAN. His legend at the Sorbonne in France is unsurpassed and his contributions to the field of radiocarbon dating and how he fused over 15 different disciplines (philosophy, chemistry,anthropolgy, linguistics...etc) to prove the African origin or egyptian and world civilization is mind boggling. And he had to accomplish and successfully defend his ideas in an extremely hostile environment where the need to discredit Africa as the source of anything good was signficant.

On the other hand, i would like to believe that if i decide to drop out of school and sell nuts, it would be for me, a part of a larger business strategy. Maybe today I am pushing the cart through the rain and sun, then tomorrow, maybe I own two more carts, in 5 years, I should be the largest nuts vendor in all of TnT, in ten years, the caribbean.

You see, our ideology should not only be based on calling for revolution but for laying a vision and foundation for after the revolution has come and gone. So dropping outta babylon is fine and dandy but what is the alternative vision. it cyah be just bunning de chalice and bulling empresses.

But I have been watching and reading this thread throughout and i want to say that these problems that many of you all have pointed out, does not belong to rastas alone. I am not basher of faiths but most of the followers of organised religions (christianity, islam and Judaism) are some of the most ignorant people that you can generally meet and talk to about faith. Most of us I am certain have arrived at our conclusions about our faith, not through reason and scholarship, not through instropection and paryerful meditation but through the fact that we were born into a family that professed it. What happens then is that we tend to understand religion from an EMOTIONAL perspective and remain ignorant to the VAST ( I said VAST and NUMEROUS CHANGES) that have taken place amongst the ecclesiastical branch.. ie the men who study and make changes to what you believe.

I am certain that many here know nothing about the Council of Nicea (and that the minutes to that meeting are available at most major universities). Most know nothing about The Jesus Seminar (and the wide body of Christian scholars who have been begging for revisions in biblical texts either because of GROSS misintepretations, omissions and submissions to key texts) Most do not know that many of these changes have already been made (READ the preface to the RSV Bible and here them mention a few of the inaccuracies)... Most here do not know that the Catholic church have since revised its concept of Satan and the End of Time(two MAJOR developments that most of the laity do not even know about)... And the list goes on...

Rastas, as Tallman said, aren't the only ones who are misguided, lazy or ignorant.

I know meh post long so I will talk about the saddhus of India (dreadlocked holy men), the use of marijuana (and know nuff natty, myself included, who have never smoked or plan on smoking weed) the Mau mau and the concept of Nyabinghi later on. Plus, it might be wise to look at the concept of ritualism(the ridiculous idea that to praise God properly, one must kneel, pray and wear your clothes a certain way) and the outward manifestations of praise and woship and see if it is more important than the consciousness that should accompany it.

PS: Its funny how nuff man here quick to belittle the rastaman's concept of HIM divinity (from either the literal or metaphysical perspective) but love Moses who according to Bible was an impulsive murderer, David who lusted after another man's wife, Noah, who slept with his daughters, and Abraham who attempted to kill his son, presumably under the command of God as a display of loyalty... some kinda God eh?

Bless
Truthseeker

" There are many truths and many falsehoods"

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:20:19 AM by truthseeker »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »
Truthseeker,

Yuh know how long I call yuh out to put in yuh two cents in this thread...

Now from yuh opening paragraph if it is....... and tallman has alluded to this.... that there is no organised doctrine and men have to develop their own ideas.....

If each idea passed from one person to another is corrupted....then it will get watered down confused and it will essentially lack substance.

Do you agree or disagree?

Hence we have a setta of pseudo, wannabe mock d dreads running around bawling I and I...Bless Fadder...and these confused individuals are the same ones who are to be the "followers or recruiters" of the Rastafarian faith....so if anything goes...then yuh just leading yuhself into a state of confusion.

To me is a setta jokey men who take chain up...from they partners...who in turn chaining up more people .....who all feel they is victims...that the world against them and they cyar advance theyself because they does look a certain way and the system against them.

The result is yuh have a large group of unproductive long haired people feeling sorry for theyself.

Just the other day they have a local reggae artiste called Prophet Benjamin who said certain things in a concert. The headline act in the concert one of the Morgan Heritage family disagreed with him and said it was not so....(I will try to find the article) ANyways it come like the Trinidadian who now start in this rasta ting telling people one thing and the Jakan who in this thing longer than he saying another...confusing the poor setta youths in the concert who looking at both of them as role models..

See how brainwashing and corruption and chupidness does start...and the young impressionable minds just taking in the nonsense.

Now after reading your post...shouldnt your ideas be for all races, religious persuasions and gender...in fact all of us here on the earth. That we should use our talents given to us and better this place.

Also maybe I have interpreted your post the wrong way...but the gist that I have gathered is that if yuh want to have a dread...make sure yuh bright...yuh know yuh shit...and yuh could back it up and have a sense of history and be able to defend yuhself when pressure take yuh.

But truthseeker...if yuh ent have all of the above...why grow one and put yuhself in a hole?

You yourself admitted in your post them men and thieir contributions were brilliant so really it didnt matter what length of hair or shade of complexion they were.(also Fari admitted that in his field he can be accepted due to what he brings to the table, academia)

Rastas are not looked at as equal opportunists in society...plain talk bad manners...... they are frowned upon.

No man is an island and you cannot exist in todays world living in a vacuum, you have to interact with people out of your social group, business wise, if you travel abroad etc.

Also and this is from the inciteful responses given.....to an outsider or one who is asking questions.....Alyuh doe have much in the convincing department to gather acceptance.

I think rasta in TT is fad..

Same way it was fad to be a muslimeen member a few years ago.

Its now Rastaman time.

Now the last point of yuh post...with the HIM divinity....ent Rastas does still use the bible and quote from it verbatim and follow certain passages.
Why use some and not all? Why it is yuh pickin and choosin.

ALyuh doe get vex with me...I jest curious but if yuh name rasta...use my questions as an opportunity to reaffirm yuh faith in what you belive in.

If my questions castin doubt, then yuh should check yuhself and see if this thing really is your path and yuh see if yuh make the wrong decision. Then yuh will know if yuh is a real or a pseudo.

Sincerely,

Touches,

The eternal student.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 12:41:01 PM by Touches »

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2006, 04:05:58 PM »
ent Touches?...hmmm lol

To me is a setta jokey men who take chain up...from they partners...who in turn chaining up more people .....who all feel they is victims...that the world against them and they cyar advance theyself because they does look a certain way and the system against them.

The result is yuh have a large group of unproductive long haired people feeling sorry for theyself.

so are we wrong to say or assume that is the typical Rasta or person with a dreadlocks from which the majority of us get our basic understanding from?

I never knew before joining SW.net that Rastafari was part Christian or follow parts of the Bible etc.
I always thought that the 'real' Rastas were 'natural' people who were protectors of Mother Nature and that sort ah thing, living off de land etc.
I also thought people who were bald headed and who said they were Rastafarian was nothing more than pro-African or pan-African (same thing or not?).

concerning the Muslimeen thing..it doesnt seem like the Rasta hierachy is trying to influence people to join the faith to make up numbers etc like the Muslimeen.
anyway we always learning something new  :)
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>