May 15, 2024, 05:29:31 PM

Author Topic: Ignore negative aspects of school life - Boldon tells Success Laventille student  (Read 1546 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Ignore negative aspects of school life
Boldon tells Success Laventille students...
Aabida Allaham

Ato Boldon urged pupils of Success Laventille Secondary School to ignore the negative aspects of their school life.

Addressing more than 200 forms one and two pupils at the school yesterday, Boldon, who is an event ambassador for the 2009 Caribbean Games, told the students they should adapt a "singular selfish thinking" attitude.

The multiple Olympic medallist and 1997 world 200-metre champion explained that a selfish thinking attitude would allow them to move forward in life because they would have chosen to do the right thing. He told them there would be people who would try to influence them into doing wrong things that could ruin their character and their good name.

"Misery loves company and people who are on their way to hell want you to accompany them," stated Boldon.

He told the pupils that even though they had to deal with different things in their school life, such as whom they liked or exams, they were still preparing for the rest of their lives.

"Enjoy your time now...in five years it won't matter."

Speaking to the assembly about the stabbing death of schoolmate Shaquille Roberts in February, Boldon said they should not allow what happened to define who they were or hinder what they could do.

"You are surrounded by people who want to see you do well," he encouraged them.

Suggesting that the pupils analyse their decisions in life, since that was something successful people did, Boldon said that was one of the reasons he did not have a tattoo.

"People who have done well don't do things like get tattoos," he said.

Turning to address the female students, who began sucking their teeth, he told them that a "steups" was still a sign they were listening and if they chose to behave in a manner that was exactly like all the other girls, they should not expect to be treated with respect.

Turning to the boys, he told them that as men it was naturally expected they should be the ones to protect, lead and set good examples, so being disrespectful to women is not something to be accepted.

"Remember that every young man in this room came from a woman."

Holder of the most Olympic medals among Trinidad and Tobago athletes, Boldon said the Success Laventille students should create a legacy for themselves and their family.

"When you achieve it at this level, don't exhale and think you've made it," he added, "you have not accomplished anything yet."

Replying to a question about his success, he said when he was younger everyone decided to cheat and make wrong decisions, but he stood his ground.

"Marion Jones won five medals and it was taken back from her, now she sits in a jail cell in Texas," he pointed out. "Better to have earned it and own it than thief it and have someone take it away."

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Apart from the last quote nothing in this article is representative of what the message was. Reading this today is like I say "ay study yuhself, doh get no tattoo and doh hit no woman."  And these people call themselves journalists.

The message was when people influencing you to screw up, think of yourself and what u want for your future that's the time to be singular or selfish in your thought. The tattoo reference was someone asking why I have none, and me saying the people who are where I wanted to go dont have any so that was why I dont have any. Even my reference to enjoying school years and not worrying about who doesnt like you or who you dont like somehow got made into "doh study now in 5 years it wont matter."

I dunno why I bother, but the truth is... who else is doing it?
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ey Ato thanks for giving the youths some of your time.

God knows they need somebody to tell them something positive.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well done!!! Ato.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
D Press at it again what's new
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Well people have been telling me all week they "got" what the Express was saying so my apologies to them then, I still find the other dailies stories were more accurate. WAY more.
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>