May 17, 2024, 03:16:33 PM

Author Topic: The Legends are coming.  (Read 601 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The Legends are coming.
« on: April 24, 2024, 12:18:19 PM »
May 10th.
8pm
National Stadium.

T&T All-stars vs Legends.

Latas, Kaka, Yorke, Edmilson, Cafu, Rivaldo etc.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 10:13:45 AM by Tallman »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Legends are coming.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 10:15:15 AM »
Latapy excited about May 10 'legends' football match
T&T Newsday

Trinidad and Tobago football icon Russell Latapy is finalising the selection of players for the Legends versus TT All Stars exhibition match scheduled for May 10 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 8 pm.

The match, initially carded for May 11, has been brought forward by a day to accommodate changes to the schedule of events on match day, on which further information will be forthcoming.

Gates at the venue will open at 4 pm.

The event is being organised by the Russell Latapy Education and Sports Foundation and I95.5FM.

The Brazilian quartet of World Cup winners Kaka, Rivaldo, Cafu and Edmilson are some of the headliners.

A media release from the organisers on Saturday said, "Between 2009 (and) 2011, Latapy would have had the task of selecting his squad for the senior men's team while serving as head coach. But over the last few days, the Little Magician has been busy communicating with a mixture of home-based and overseas-based former national players from his playing days as well as recent ex-nationals, in an effort to put together the best possible group of legends for this inaugural event being put on by the Russell Latapy Education and Sports Foundation and I95.FM."

Latapy said there have been many legends matches played around the world and he believes the same can be done in TT.

“Over the last ten-15 years, legends football has continued to grow in all corners of the globe, and I believe we have a generation of players here who have done well and are at a stage where we still love football and want to play – not only play, but also still have the physical ability to do that while there is an interest among the fans to see these players out on the pitch,” Latapy said.

On the decision to put his name to the event and take a lead role in staging it, Latapy felt the timing was ideal for him to engage in something of this nature.

“Tony (Lee) of I95.5FM had the idea of this match and invited me to be a part of it. And once we sat down and started to discuss the event, I was delighted to take up the offer.

"It’s something I have been part of in different parts of the world and I think it’s something great for the Caribbean. It was a no-brainer for me to be part of an initiative to bring a high level of legends football to our country,” said the ex-Porto midfielder.

“It’s legends football, so I’m trying to involve a lot of these players who have represented us well and delighted the fans over the years. I played over three decades both at national and club level, and I’ve played with a lot of fantastic players.

"This game is just a way of showing appreciation to them for everything they have contributed to football in TT and the Caribbean by extension.

“The aim is to push that feelgood factor about football in the country. It’s a situation where we think we can also set a good example for young players. There are so many good things we think can come out of this sort of venture."

Legends line-up Former national captain Dwight Yorke will lead a group of ex-Soca Warriors, including Carlos Edwards, Stern John, Brent Sancho, Kelvin Jack, Devorn Jorsling, Densill Theobald, and Strike Squad members Leonson Lewis, Brian Williams, Hutson Charles and others.

Further information on squad selections and physical ticket outlets will be forthcoming. Tickets can be bought online at islandetickets.com.

Tickets for the uncovered stands cost $300, covered stands are priced at $450 and there is a $550 section, which includes refreshments. Also, children 16 and under will pay $100 for the uncovered section and $200 for the covered stands.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 10:16:29 AM »
Molino excited to face Kaka, says Legends game can have positive impact
T&T Newsday

FORMER Soca Warriors captain and playmaker Kevin Molino is eagerly looking forward to rubbing shoulders with his former Orlando City teammate Kaka in the May 10 exhibition match between a Trinidad and Tobago All Star team and an International Legends team at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

Molino, who brought an end to his international career last September, is among a host of recently retired TT players who are set to feature in the exhibition game which is being organised by the Russell Latapy Education and Sports Foundation and I95.5FM.

On April 24, a press release from Latapy confirmed the "Little Magician" will be joined by players such as Radanfah Abu Bakr, Curtis Gonzales, Khaleem Hyland, Joevin Jones, Carlyle Mitchell and goalkeeper Marvin Phillip. Like Molino, Phillip brought his Soca Warriors career to an end last year. Abu Bakr, Mitchell and Phillip all play in the TT Premier Football League (TTPFL), while the pair of Hyland and Jones are both members of TTPFL tier one leaders Miscellaneous Police FC.

Molino hopes the star-studded exhibition match can have a lasting impression on aspiring TT footballers.

He said he has already spoken to the 2007 Ballon D'or winner Kaka about the match, and he believes it will be a treat for the fans to see the Brazilian playmaker in full flight alongside World Cup winners such as Cafu, Edmilson and Rivaldo.

"I explained to Kaka especially about the current situation in our country at the moment and it would be really great for them to come out and showcase their skills for the fans," Molino said.

"That is the beauty about sport where occasions like this can bring some joy to the people and I am hoping we can have a positive impact on the young ones especially."

Molino is also embracing the opportunity to play alongside TT stalwarts such as Hutson Charles, Clint Marcelle and former Uefa Champions League winner Dwight Yorke.

"There are some players that I never got the opportunity to play with and this game will give myself and some of my other ex-teammates the chance to grace the same field with these legends. I'm definitely excited but also looking to win."

Offline Marcus868

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 05:35:51 AM »
Molino excited to face Kaka, says Legends game can have positive impact
T&T Newsday

FORMER Soca Warriors captain and playmaker Kevin Molino is eagerly looking forward to rubbing shoulders with his former Orlando City teammate Kaka in the May 10 exhibition match between a Trinidad and Tobago All Star team and an International Legends team at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

Molino, who brought an end to his international career last September, is among a host of recently retired TT players who are set to feature in the exhibition game which is being organised by the Russell Latapy Education and Sports Foundation and I95.5FM.

On April 24, a press release from Latapy confirmed the "Little Magician" will be joined by players such as Radanfah Abu Bakr, Curtis Gonzales, Khaleem Hyland, Joevin Jones, Carlyle Mitchell and goalkeeper Marvin Phillip. Like Molino, Phillip brought his Soca Warriors career to an end last year. Abu Bakr, Mitchell and Phillip all play in the TT Premier Football League (TTPFL), while the pair of Hyland and Jones are both members of TTPFL tier one leaders Miscellaneous Police FC.

Molino hopes the star-studded exhibition match can have a lasting impression on aspiring TT footballers.

He said he has already spoken to the 2007 Ballon D'or winner Kaka about the match, and he believes it will be a treat for the fans to see the Brazilian playmaker in full flight alongside World Cup winners such as Cafu, Edmilson and Rivaldo.

"I explained to Kaka especially about the current situation in our country at the moment and it would be really great for them to come out and showcase their skills for the fans," Molino said.

"That is the beauty about sport where occasions like this can bring some joy to the people and I am hoping we can have a positive impact on the young ones especially."

Molino is also embracing the opportunity to play alongside TT stalwarts such as Hutson Charles, Clint Marcelle and former Uefa Champions League winner Dwight Yorke.

"There are some players that I never got the opportunity to play with and this game will give myself and some of my other ex-teammates the chance to grace the same field with these legends. I'm definitely excited but also looking to win."

Forget the game...... hopefully some of these Brazilian players could leave an impression on our Trini women so we get a generation of footballers in the next 15-18yrs.....  ;D ;D ;D (Long-term vision)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 06:10:58 AM »
Brazil World Cup winners in Trinidad for Legends clash.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

BRAZIL'S 2002 Fifa World Cup winners Cafu, Edmilson and 1999 Ballon D'or winner Rivaldo have arrived in Trinidad ahead of the Legends All-Star match, on May 10, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Rivaldo arrived at the Piarco International Airport on May 8, while Cafu and Edmilson touched down just after 2 pm on May 9, before being treated to a brief welcome ceremony at the airport's VIP lounge. Kaka, the 2007 Ballon D'or winner, was expected to arrive in Trinidad and Tobago early in the morning on May 10.

The match which will kick off at 8 pm, is being organised by the Russell Latapy Education and Sports Foundation and I95.5FM. It will feature a host of former T&T international players, including members of the Soca Warriors team which made a historic appearance at the 2006 World Cup.

Speaking to the media via a translator, both Cafu and Edmilson expressed their delight with the opportunity to play before the T&T public. Cafu, who captained Brazil to victory at the 2002 World Cup in Korea/Japan – the country's last World Cup title – urged youngsters to find the balance between education and sport.

"Stay in school. Obviously, education is the most important thing," the former AC Milan and AS Roma right back said.

"And from there, everything else will go well. You just need to have discipline and just educate yourself and always have your morals."

The former Champions League winner still possesses an impressive physique, and his competitive edge hasn't been lost ahead of the legends match which will be played in three 30-minute thirds.

"You can expect a lot of goals and a lot of fun. I hope everyone has fun."

I95.5 president Anthony Lee Aping said they were relieved to have the Brazilian legends on T&T shores after numerous attempts to host the match.

"I'm really happy to be here to say that this is a culmination of a year and a half of quiet work behind the scenes," Aping said. "We had this game planned about three times. Finally, the legends are here."

The Brazilian quartet will be rubbing shoulders with some of the finest players to don the red, white and black across several generations.

Aside from the "Little Magician" Russell Latapy, the lengthy list of players set to feature includes former captains Khaleem Hyland, Kenwayne Jones, Kevin Molino, Clayton Morris, Densill Theobald and former Manchester United Champions League winner Dwight Yorke. Marvin Andrews, Carlos Edwards, Cornell Glen, Cyd Gray and Kelvin Jack, all members of the Soca Warriors 2006 team, are also set to feature.

Theobald said he was privileged to be considered for the legends match, and he believes the next generation of footballers can learn a thing or two from the varying players on display today.

"I look forward to embracing my teammates again on the football pitch and I know the fans can look forward to a nice entertaining brand of football," Theobald said.

"I know we're much older than before so the intensity and energy will not be there like it once was 15 years ago. But definitely, footballing intelligence and technique doesn't leave you.

"Events or moments like these are once in a lifetime moments, especially for the upcoming generation and the young footballing fans. (They should) come out and learn and see the football history that's so rich in our country on display."

RELATED NEWS

Brazilian star Rivaldo fit for legends match.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

BRAZILIAN football legend Rivaldo, 52, seems fit and ready for the legends football match, which will feature other Brazilian stars and T&T stalwarts.

The match will be played at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on Friday at 8 pm.

The initiative is being organised by former T&T midfield star Russell Latapy, through his­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ Russell Latapy Education and Sports Foundation. Media house I95.5FM is also supporting the match.

Rivaldo was a popular footballer during his professional days, with most people remembering him during his time at FC Barcelona from 1997-2002. The midfielder also won the 2002 FIFA World Cup with Brazil alongside other legends Ronaldo and Ronaldinho.

"I am so happy to be here to be invited for the game," Rivaldo told the media when he arrived at the Piarco International Airport on Wednesday night.

Speaking through a translator, Rivaldo said, "I hope that it is going to be a very good party for me, for Cafu, for Kaka and Edmilson." Cafu, Kaka and Edmilson also lifted the 2002 World Cup trophy with Brazil.

The former midfield maestro still looks slim like he did during his professional career. Rivaldo said he maintains a healthy diet, saying, "After I stopped playing I started taking care of my health. I eat a lot of fish, a lot of vegetables."

Other former T&T players expected to play are former Soca Warriors players Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards, Stern John, Brent Sancho, Kelvin Jack and Densill Theobald. Former Strike Squad members Leonson Lewis, Brian Williams, Hutson Charles are also expected to take the field.

"I am so happy for the organisation that they did this game because this is really important for the country."

Rivaldo said he only knows a "little bit" of the T&T culture.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 06:23:54 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2024, 05:46:53 PM »
The stadium already full.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 07:05:46 AM »
Fete matches people seem to like
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 12:10:22 PM »
Legends vs All-Stars score big time
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

BRAZILIAN Kaka and local striker Anthony Wolfe both scored hat-tricks in an entertaining 5-5 draw featuring the Brazilian Legends against a Trinidad and Tobago All-Stars squad in a “fete match” charity event on Friday night, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Promoters I95FM certainly scored, drawing an almost full capacity. Despite the princely price of admission--as much as $450 for the covered section of the HCS--local fans were willing to pay for the entertainment and a lime.

The draw was Kaka, Cafu, Rivaldo and Edmílson, a quartet of 2002 FIFA World Cup-winning stars, lining up with and against some of T&T best-ever footballers, and a couple of Caribbean stars.

Making a return to local football was the “Mexican Wave”, one dedicated to popular recently deceased nuts vendor “Jumbo”. Just like in past times, the wave never seemed to want to stop.

Brazilians Kaka and Cafu appeared to be still full of enthusiasm for the beautiful game; the disappointment would have been Rivaldo, who it seems has lost a lot of his touches, and was a peripheral figure on the field.

Apparently is not only England’s Peter Crouch who likes to pull on dreadlocks, but apparently Cafu as well. Has Cafu evolved into a “nasty” player defensively, or is it that we never noticed it before?

Either way, Collin Samuel did not like it a bit when the Brazilian tugged at his dreads, halting the 2006 T&T winger running to goal. Whenever left behind, Cafu made sure that his opponent’s run ended abruptly, getting a couple of crossed looks-- but none serious enough to evolve into anything more.

Still-active Police FC striker Anthony Wolfe, a member of T&T’s 2006 World Cup squad, threatened to take the spotlight away from the Brazilian visitors, firing in an early hat-trick, giving the All-Stars a 3-1 lead at the end of the first of three, 30-minute periods.

That could not be allowed. And when Wolfe threatened to score a fourth, he was immediately pulled off, only to return in the final of the three “thirds”, with the team balanced at 3-3.

It was Kaka who would draw the Legends level at 1-1, combining with Cafu before scoring and cancelling out Wolfe’s opening goal, a diving, low header sending the ball past Kelvin Jack, another member of the 2006 WC squad.

Kaka and Cafu were ever present. Kaka blew past both Cyd Gray and Clayton Ince up the flank, finding Kafu, whose blistering drive was kept out by Clayton Ince, who showed that he is no back number.

Our own “greatest ever”, midfield magician Russell Latapy, showed some touches, and also tried an audacious chip over Jack, which at Latapy’s best, might have dropped in, instead of over the bar.

Kaka and Cafu both netted as the Legends dominated the second period with two goals, levelling the score at 3-3, and leaving all to be decided in the final half-hour period. By then, most were walking rather than running. Nobody was defending much. Well, except for a now bulked-up former national captain Khaleem Hyland, who dropped his pounds on a few opponents, including a shoulder to the face of the still pencil-thin Kendall “Jaggy” Jagdeosingh.

Kaka would go on to complete his hat-trick when scoring from the penalty spot, but not to be outdone his former Orlando City teammate Kevin Molino would start and finish the move which ended in the final goal for the Legends.

If nothing else, Friday night’s event showed Trinidadians love entertainment and Brazilians. But do they love football? That well be tested on June 5, when the real thing begin with the start of the 2006 FIFA Men’s World Cup qualifying against Grenada. Let’s see how many show up at the same venue, when no Brazilians will be present.

LEGENDS TEAM:

Kelvin Jack (GK), Cafu, Earl Jean, Russell Latapy, Kevin Molino, Rivaldo, Carlos Edwards, Kaka, Khaleem Hyland, Kenwyne Jones, Ansil Elcock, Kern Cupid, Kendall Velox, Elijah Joseph, Lyndon Andrews

Coach: Jamaal Shabazz

ALL-STARS TEAM:

Clayton Morris, Aurtis Whitley, Clint Marcelle, Cyd Gray, Hutson Charles, Devorn Jorsling, Arnold Dwarika, Leonson Lewis, Collin Samuel, Cornell Glen, Curtis Gonzales, Densill Theobald, Keon Daniel, Carlyle Mitchell, Anthony Wolfe, Ataulla Guerra, Hayden Tinto, Radanfah Abu Bakr, Marvin Faustin, Kendall Jagdeosingh, Marvin Phillip (GK)

Coach: Angus Eve

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 06:58:07 AM »
Inspiration for Generation Now
By Garth Wattley (T&T Express)

IT had been a long time since the Hasely Crawford Stadium had been turned into a red sea. On Friday it came close to that.

It took Kaka, Rivaldo, Cafu, Edmilson, Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and their colleagues from the Legends and T&T All-Stars teams to bring the people out to watch football.

By all accounts, a good time was had by all. The fans got ten goals to watch and saw Kaka and Anthony Wolfe score share six of those ten between them.

It was striking to me that so many people would still be interested in paying good money to see players well into retirement and past their athletic best kick the football around.

Jamaal Shabazz, currently the national coach of Guyana had a reasonable theory about the turnout.

“It easy to say that people came out to see the Brazilians,” he said but added, “I think it (also) shows how much the people of Trinidad and Tobago appreciate the likes of Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke, and those guys of that era.”

Most definitely, there would have been an element of nostalgia surrounding the charity match. People still remember the football the 1989 “Strike Squad” played. And 2006 was less than 20 years ago, when Strike Squad graduates Latapy and Yorke went to Germany as part of the first T&T team to have qualified for a World Cup Finals. Since then, there has not been a national side that has achieved anything as significant as that squad fashioned by Dutchman Leo Beenhakker, so Friday’s affair was a chance for the public to relive their most recent best memories, so to speak. That, in itself, says something.

Why, in the 18 years since Yorke led a team that also included Carlos Edwards, Kenwyne Jones, Shaka Hislop, Densill Theobald and Aurtis Whitley to a World Cup, have T&T not produced a crop of players of similar calibre?

That is a question the new Trinidad and Tobago Football Association president Kieron Edwards and his executive must get a definitive answer to, and find solutions for.

Youngsters, like my nephew, who were seeing those stars of yesteryear for the first time, need to form attachments to players of their era. The pre-teens who play the game now, need more than “oldies” like Yorke and Latapy to inspire them. They need to see “live” examples of how a professional footballer today should play the game and carry his or her self.

As Shabazz said: “New stars much emerge. I will like to see that support transferred to the Trinidad and Tobago national team presently, at all different levels, whether it be women, youth or senior men. I will like to see a culture of support every time a Trinidad and Tobago team takes the field.”

What events like Friday can do, is fire the imagination of Generation Now. But the football fraternity must find creative ways to use the rich history of T&T football to encourage greater awareness among the current generation of what went before and what they should be aspiring to.

The TTFA now has a Home of Football. In this age of advanced technology, could not video footage be acquired from the period 1989 to 2006, just to be conservative, and used as a kind of museum exhibit that people can visit? Could arrangements not be made so that something similar can happen at the Ato Boldon, Hasely Crawford, Manny Ramjohn, Larry Gomes and Dwight Yorke Stadiums? And why stop at football? Is it not possible for some of the feats of Ato Boldon, Richard Thompson, Jereem Richards and the medal-winning 4x100 and 4x400 relay squads of the last 18 years to be displayed at these venues also?

Such an innovation will not guarantee future stars, but it will at least ensure that the past is not forgotten and that those playing in the present have targets to aim at, set by ones like themselves.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 04:41:05 PM »
MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-nLbmLRKRHA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-nLbmLRKRHA</a>

1]; } ?>