May 08, 2024, 01:17:23 AM

Author Topic: T&T sprint star triumphs in Jamaica  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T sprint star triumphs in Jamaica
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:02:46 AM »
 :devil:

T&T sprint star triumphs in Jamaica

Kwame Laurence klaurence@trinidadexpress.com

Monday, May 7th 2007

BUILT FOR SPEED: Trinidad and Tobago track star Darrel Brown, centre, captures the men's 100 metres title in a fast 10.02 seconds, at the Jamaica International Invitational track and field meet, at the National Stadium in Kingston, on Saturday night. Jamaicans Michael Frater (10.13), right, and Dwight Thomas (10.18), left, finished second and fifth, respectively.

Darrel Brown produced his fastest-ever 100 metres opener at the Jamaica International Invitational track and field meet, at the National Stadium in Kingston on Saturday night.

With a 1.3 metres per second wind at his back, the Trinidad and Tobago sprint star scorched the track in 10.02 seconds to top the men's century field, beating Jamaicans Michael Frater (10.13) and Lerone Clarke (10.15) into second and third, respectively.

"I just went out, tried to execute, and waited for the outcome," Brown told the Express, after the race. "Luckily, it was 10.02."

There was victory as well for Brown's compatriot, Sherridan Kirk, in the men's 800m.

Kirk dominated his rivals in the two-lap race, returning a time of one minute, 46.85 seconds to finish well ahead of Haiti's Moise Joseph (1:48.16) and move into fourth spot on the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) 2007 performance list. Mexican Martell Munguia was third in 1:48.22.

T&T sprinter Aaron Armstrong clocked 20.90 seconds to bag bronze in the men's 200m. American Tyson Gay was first to the line in 19.97 seconds, the fastest time in the world this year, with Jamaica's Chris Williams a distant second in 20.67.

In the women's 800m, Melissa De Leon got home in 2:04.08 to finish fifth. Jamaica's Kenia Sinclair (1:59.19), Marion Burnett (2:01.53) of Guyana, Canadian Rebecca Johnstone (2:03.13) and Sinclair's compatriot Korine Hinds (2:03.62) were first, second, third and fourth, respectively.

And T&T-born American track star Kerron Clement snapped up silver in the men's 400m hurdles. Clement clocked 48.72 seconds to finish between fellow-Americans Derrick Williams (48.65) and Michael Tinsley (48.96).

Brown ran a personal best 9.99 seconds in 2005, but was unable to come close to that time in 2006. His fastest 100m clocking last year was 10.11 seconds.

"Hopefully, once I stay healthy, I should run a PR (personal record) by the end of the season."

Brown switched his training base from Alabama, USA to Jamaica at the end of the 2006 season. The 2003 World Championship 100m silver medallist joined the MVP Track & Field Club, and in October began his off-season training programme under the watchful eyes of world-renowned coach Stephen Francis.

"I think it's that. This is my fastest opener ever...I believe the switch and the different training methods are responsible. The 400s I ran early in the season made me stronger. Even though I do not like it at all, the 400 made me stronger for the 100. It helped tonight."
Jamaica's 100m world record holder Asafa Powell and Frater-the 2005 World Championship 100m silver medallist-are among Brown's training partners.

"The intensity is very hard because of the amount of fast guys here. The guys train very hard."

Brown, whose 10.02 clocking earned him second spot on the IAAF 2007 performance list behind Bahamian Derrick Atkins (9.98), is hopeful of a top-three finish in the men's 100m dash at the August 25-September 2 World Championships in Osaka, Japan.

"Any race a sprinter goes into he hopes to win. If I fall short, silver is good," the 22-year-old T&T sprinter ended, "but I'm trying for gold."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T sprint star triumphs in Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
"I think it's that. This is my fastest opener ever...I believe the switch and the different training methods are responsible. The 400s I ran early in the season made me stronger. Even though I do not like it at all, the 400 made me stronger for the 100. It helped tonight."

Imagine that imagine that lol force him to fun a few 200 meters
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 11:14:41 AM »
T&T sprinter Aaron Armstrong clocked 20.90 come on man give us that low 20.00

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:20:51 PM »
Yeah the times so far this season have been either great or awful - no in between. JJ Johnson win in Dakar in like 20.5!  With a wind behind him.  Modesto had men running 21. and change! Then Tyson Gay ran 19.97 bout 10 m ahead of everyone else in JA lol
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:00:38 PM »
Yeah the times so far this season have been either great or awful - no in between. JJ Johnson win in Dakar in like 20.5!  With a wind behind him.  Modesto had men running 21. and change! Then Tyson Gay ran 19.97 bout 10 m ahead of everyone else in JA lol

You see it too? A lot of gaming...this being a Championship year.

The old Fox John is doing the same as the young Grasshopper Franno! LoL

Methinks a bit will change by June and a lot by August. Count on it.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:33:42 PM »
I am here in Doha for the meet tomorrow.  Should be interesting. 

Aliu Deji NGR
 Brown Darrel TRI
 Crawford Shawn USA
 Francis Samuel NGR
 Habeeb Yahya Hassan I. KSA
 Lewis-Francis Mark GBR
 Obikwelu Francis POR
 Williams Christopher JAM
 Al-Gahes Yahya KSA
 Al-Waleed Ibrahim Abdulla QAT
 Burns Marc TRI
 Emedolu Uchenna NGR
 Fasuba Olusoji A. NGR
 Frater Michael JAM
 Malcolm Christian GBR
 Phillips Dwight USA

BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »

Aliu Deji NGR
 Brown Darrel TRI
 Crawford Shawn USA
 Francis Samuel NGR
 Lewis-Francis Mark GBR
 Obikwelu Francis POR
 Williams Christopher JAM
 Al-Gahes Yahya KSA
 Burns Marc TRI
 Emedolu Uchenna NGR
 Fasuba Olusoji A. NGR
 Frater Michael JAM
 Malcolm Christian GBR
 Phillips Dwight USA

I hope you bring a steel tape measure and a portable wind guage. ROTFLMAO.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »

Aliu Deji NGR
 Brown Darrel TRI
 Crawford Shawn USA
 Francis Samuel NGR
 Lewis-Francis Mark GBR
 Obikwelu Francis POR
 Williams Christopher JAM
 Al-Gahes Yahya KSA
 Burns Marc TRI
 Emedolu Uchenna NGR
 Fasuba Olusoji A. NGR
 Frater Michael JAM
 Malcolm Christian GBR
 Phillips Dwight USA

Ato this might seem like a foolish question but do you send an alert to Willi eveytime you post ?  It sure looks like it to me ? i enjoy the banter though ...

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 04:35:39 PM »
See - how many other critics are willing to travel 8000 miles to see for themselves the next year?  Everyone knows the race was "off" last year they didn't even get the winning time right for another 24 hours after it was over - so this year let's see what everyone runs.... :P

Jai, I think Willi has an alert set up cuz I certainly don't.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 05:51:37 AM »
Hahahahahahaha. No alert.

I scan the site often and reply to all not just Ato. Indeed,  I respond to Triniman and DwarriorMan even more, as they post more. I get some good info here that I use at other sites.

I have been corresponding with Ato on this matter for a year now and we see eye to eye on this one. I am sure he knows that I am fighting pitched battles with Smoke, a mutual acquaintance of both of us on this very same matter.

It stands to reason that if Ato is being the on site representative of the Doha doubters club, I have to "coordinate" with him. LoL
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 05:54:19 AM by willi »

1]; } ?>