May 21, 2024, 11:16:43 PM

Author Topic: T&T teen footballers impress Man Utd coach  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T teen footballers impress Man Utd coach
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:20:58 AM »
T&T teen footballers impress Man Utd coach
T&T Newsday

MANCHESTER United Development coach Eamon Mulvey said that he is impressed with the talent that exists in Trinidad and Tobago and wants local coaches to join forces for the betterment of the sport.

He claimed that his visit was partly influenced by the talent of Dwight Yorke who played an important role in guiding the “Red Devils” to the treble (English Premiership, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League) in 1998. He pointed out that Yorke was the first to make an impact in England then followed by Shaka Hislop and recently Kenwyne Jones.

“Could you imagine what could happen to Trinidad and Tobago football if all these players come back with the knowledge and experience that they got and share it with the children and the local coaches” said Mulvey yesterday at the development football camp for kids at the St Mary’s College Ground, Serpentine Road, St Clair.

Mulvey told the media that he has seen some extremely talented young players at the camp and once they are nurtured properly they can become great professionals, but if they do not turn out to be good professional footballers, they will be good individuals and human beings.

Close to 500 budding footballers attended the one-week coaching session which is a partnership between local coach Dion La Foucade and telecommunication’s giant Digicel. The former Manchester City footballer, now a full time coach also held a Digicel sponsored session for local coaches, called “Coaching The Coach.” He said that Manchester United are a great team because they unearth talent from the tender age of nine and prepare players in the academy for professional football.

“Players are fitted in a programme where they can be trained in the sport and achieve academic successes.

I think we have a captain to steer the ship, otherwise we recruit young players who are passionate about the sport and develop them. We have players such as Ryan Giggs who has spent all his life at the club” Mulvey said.

He revealed that the club has a well organised scouting programme to identify potential players and in spite of the strict passport regulations players who show promise will be taken on trials or offered contracts.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: T&T teen footballers impress Man Utd coach
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
Was there an age limit?
Warrior For Life !!

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »
talent in trinidad and tobago was never the problem, it was always the youth development coaching. if we can rectify this level of coaching it can drastically improve the quality of the football in T&T! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 12:18:38 PM »
As if he was ever going to say "This is the worst bunch a kids I've ever seen"...or "They're ok but not up to par with the rest of the world.  They should concentrate on being good individuals and forget about becoming professional footballers" ::)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:24:19 PM »
talent in trinidad and tobago was never the problem, it was always the youth development coaching. if we can rectify this level of coaching it can drastically improve the quality of the football in T&T! :beermug:

I agree. Talent indeed, when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s at least, was never a problem. I had a lot of friends who probably could have had a successful career in football. However, they chose different career paths.

A few names come to mind in particular. A fella called Leigh Johnson at my alma mater (Pres Sando) was skillful and had a lot of speed (He was a tremendous athlete, probably still is). Rhett Mitchell and Hayden Mohammed (also from Pres) are some other names that come to mind.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »
ah lil rough dey Palos... why yuh do pass down to the camp and see for yourself
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 12:40:36 PM »
“Could you imagine what could happen to Trinidad and Tobago football if all these players come back with the knowledge and experience that they got and share it with the children and the local coaches” said Mulvey yesterday..

Of all the statements made this is what I focused on.  The average Trinbago player shows more respect for the player who has done it as opposed to the coach who can talk it.

Latapy showing his commitment to coaching at home might be the start we need.  A foreign coach is all well and good, or even an old coach like BSC or Gally (a great player in his time), but the name Latapy and Yorke are held in such high esteem by the next crop of players.  Those players moving into the coaching ranks are also a great resource in educating players about the professional game of today based on experience and not what they have heard.  Great players do not necessarily make great coachers but they can definitely be great motivators if the desire is there and if properly utilized.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
ah lil rough dey Palos... why yuh do pass down to the camp and see for yourself

I not sayin de man not talkin de trute.  He might very well be.  I jes sayin he go say nice and complimentary tings regardless of whether it was true or not.  John Barnes whenhe was here did say we have great talent and all kinda ting too.  Den when he went back to England say he was disappointed in some of de talent levels.

Daz all.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:59:31 PM »
As if he was ever going to say "This is the worst bunch a kids I've ever seen"...or "They're ok but not up to par with the rest of the world.  They should concentrate on being good individuals and forget about becoming professional footballers" ::)

I understand what you mean here.

I think we may be okay up until the U-15 age group. After that we may fall off drastically. I realize many coaches in T&T cannot take the players on to the next level of Technique and tactical understanding. I not bagging on local coaches it is just what it is. The little invisible technique or tactical understanding that makes a difference is lacking.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
I think we may be okay up until the U-15 age group. After that we may fall off drastically. I realize many coaches in T&T cannot take the players on to the next level of Technique and tactical understanding. I not bagging on local coaches it is just what it is. The little invisible technique or tactical understanding that makes a difference is lacking.

Daz a real good point elan.  You could have raw talent.  How do you develop that talent to become world class?  Because yuh not jes competin in de caribbean or concacaf anymore.  Yuh competin with the world.  That's the reality. 

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »
Most of us that played the game and know the game, will agree whole heartedly with what the gentleman said. If Yorke was never discovered by Aston Villa, he would have turned out like some of us, wasted talent...
 :(

The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

1]; } ?>