May 07, 2024, 03:08:05 PM

Author Topic: FIFA name sacked marketing director as new number two  (Read 897 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA name sacked marketing director as new number two
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:54:20 AM »
rotten to the core.

now allyuh know why jack fit in so well with them boys.

FIFA name sacked marketing director as new number two

By Mark Ledsom

ZURICH, June 27 (Reuters) - FIFA have appointed Jerome Valcke as their new general secretary, less than eight months after sacking him as their marketing director.

Valcke, who was fired in December 2006 for his part in FIFA's botched sponsorship negotiations with credit card rivals MasterCard and Visa, will now be second in command to president Sepp Blatter.

"It's like a dream for me," Valcke told Reuters, confirming his appointment ahead of an official announcement by Blatter due later on Wednesday.

Valcke originally joined FIFA in 2003 after leaving his former position as CEO of sports marketing firm Sportfive.

The Frenchman was then dismissed by FIFA along with three other colleagues when a New York court ruled that FIFA's marketing team had "lied repeatedly" during World Cup sponsorship negotiations with credit card company MasterCard.

In May an appeals court ordered that the case be re-examined but the two sides instead reached an out of court settlement with FIFA agreeing earlier this month to pay MasterCard $90 million in compensation.

"I don't want to comment on the last few months when I was completely out on my own," Valcke told Reuters. "Now I just want to look ahead and build on the excellent relationship I have with Mr Blatter."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA name sacked marketing director as new number two
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:59:18 AM »
rotten to the core.

How so?

Looks like he was made the fall guy for the negotiations fiasco and may have been vindicated by the Appeals court decision.  I'm with you though that it's kinda curious that he was given the nice cushy #2 job.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA name sacked marketing director as new number two
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:44:35 AM »
rotten to the core.

How so?

Looks like he was made the fall guy for the negotiations fiasco and may have been vindicated by the Appeals court decision.  I'm with you though that it's kinda curious that he was given the nice cushy #2 job.

Look at the timing. Blatter and Warner re-elected, which may not have happened if they had been directly implicated. Then they make room by sacking Urs and give Valckle the promised job if he took the rap for mastercard.

All makes sense, really. Especially when you make up the rules as you go along!

1]; } ?>