May 21, 2024, 12:11:17 AM

Author Topic: Warner: T&T U-20s best-prepared national team.  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Warner: T&T U-20s best-prepared national team.
« on: August 23, 2009, 04:39:19 AM »
Warner: T&T U-20s best-prepared national team.
By: Mark Pouchet (T&T Express).

Members of the Trinidad and Tobago national Under-20 team, preparing for the FIFA U-20 World Cup which kicks off in Egypt on September 24, were presented with laptops and a cheque for $150,000 at a send-off function and dinner hosted by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) on Friday night at the Crowne Plaza, Wrightson Road, Port of Spain.

And TTFF special adviser Jack Warner announced that while grateful for the help from Government, he and his organisation had invested $11 million in the development of the current squad to have them prepared properly for the upcoming global event and to make the transition to the national senior team for the World Cups in 2014 and 2018.

The T&T U-20 squad depart today for a ten-day camp in England before heading to Turkey, then Cyprus to play against Australia and England, before landing in Egypt two days before the tournament's opening game against the hosts in Alexandria.

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Gary Hunt, one of many specially-invited guests at Friday's event, made the presentation of the lap tops to each of the members of the team and informed them that the Ministry would be disbursing a cheque for $150,000, originally intended for the national senior team, to the "Young Soca Warriors".

In a brief address, Hunt said the 2009 Under-20 World Cup was the start of an "odyssey" for the young footballers and praised them for their commitment to date, while advising the U-20 team to reflect their Warrior spirit in their performances.

Earlier, TTFF president Oliver Camps echoed those same sentiments in his speech.

In his turn at the microphone, Warner, the final speaker, revealed that this was the best prepared national team...ever.

"No other team in this country has been prepared the way this team has been...and this has been done and we have spent a little more than $11 million on them and that does not include the Minister's $150,000 and lap tops. I 'm saying when you add that you may get $12 million," he said to laughter from the audience.

Warner said the investment will bear fruit in better national senior teams.

"But the point I am making to you is we have invested this in them not for the now but for the hereafter because this is the team that will make us proud in 2014. And many a time we are accused, and Mr Camps and I take blows left, right and centre, I think he is lucky because sometimes he can say 'I'm on both sides of the fence', because the fact is we are accused of lack of planning possibly because we don't plan enough but for this team for 2014...for the 2018 World Cup that President Obama wants in the US, they can't accuse us of lack of planning," exclaimed the FIFA vice-president.

Warner said the send-off event was one of the proudest moments in his life because he had grown with the team for six years and the investment had been made in the Young Soca Warriors "all in an effort to become highly competitive".

Chairman of the FIFA Under-20 World Cup, Warner also advised that he and All Sport Promotions managing director Anthony Harford would sit down and come up with a plan to get more supporters, especially parents of members of the national squad, to Egypt, as well as attempt to secure sponsorship from local or foreign businesses for a school steelband to attend the tournament.

He also stated that the President of T&T or the Prime Minister would have a place, as would youngster Shaquille Frame, who earlier in the night was thanked for his special contribution to the team and who Warner said had to continue his influence with the Under-20s.

Warner also advised that the TTFF had taken the decision to release the patent on the "Soca Warrior" brand so that it can now be used with any national sports team.

In closing, Warner advised the young charges to forget their past accomplishments and focus on the task ahead.

"It is not how good you are, it is how good you want to be and the only way to tell how good you want to be is by how you play in Egypt," he concluded.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Warner: T&T U-20s best-prepared national team.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »
Niceness
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
eh heh look how anton gettin excuses now...from ipod to laptop..he go bawl dey only on facebook..in any case is ah niceness but still allyuh coulda divert ah lil somtin to some warm up matches for d seniors...

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Gary Huntinformed them that the Ministry would be disbursing a cheque for $150,000, originally intended for the national senior team, to the "Young Soca Warriors".

:thinking:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:20:26 AM »
In other words F@#$ the senior team yes...we backing the youths...... Why the arse they ent just stop playing football untill after the tournament and just make this the senior team, because it seems obvious that they think the senior team finished.... No need to keep the fifa ranking high enough to get these same players contracts etc. No need to keep them around to help blood these same younger players.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 10:42:19 AM »
Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Gary Huntinformed them that the Ministry would be disbursing a cheque for $150,000, originally intended for the national senior team, to the "Young Soca Warriors".

ent?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 10:59:36 AM »
Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Gary Hunt, one of many specially-invited guests at Friday's event, made the presentation of the lap tops to each of the members of the team and informed them that the Ministry would be disbursing a cheque for $150,000, originally intended for the national senior team, to the "Young Soca Warriors".

:-\ is fantastic that the youths getting support, but at the expense of the senior team .... in the final stages of the hex .... as don leo say in football 2+2 doh always equal 4

jack say he done fight with panday but like he taking it out elsewhere ....

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 12:20:37 PM »
The LONG BRAIN starting to reveal itself...wait and see

the Revolution must come soon..or else these young souls from tnt will be eaten alive
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 01:58:35 PM »
Jack playing football with I man emotion... :devil:

Jack your shelf live is due to expire....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 03:31:05 PM »
for my records, I want to know where the laptops come from, what is the estimated value, is this considered a contribution to development or reward to a job well DONE. what is the 150 k to be used for, what is the sum given by Fifa for development/preparation for finalist...what is the techinal team financial brdens, who is the final technical team, who are the invited guest to go the games, who are the special friends of guest,  more questions to follow......doh worry, few ah meh questions get answered, ah accustom, ah doh let meh feelings get hurt, because I to damn farse...buh as I well like to know where my help may be needed, ah does ask nah...buh if ah doh know where my little pittance does go....wait...is only me think dem records(TTFF & Government) should be all fans business ?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »
OK Eman deduct 150000. D seniors neva play no friendly so beta d yutes get d money instead ah JW.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »

Wait, wait, wait....

Ent.....we.....did speculate.....bout dis....nah, nah, is another $150K...cyar be the same one.... :-\ :(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
Warner says U-20s best prepared team
T&T Newsday reports.

LEADING local football administrator Jack Austin Warner stated that the Trinidad and Tobago Under-20 team has been privileged since “no other team in this country has been prepared the way this team has been.”

Warner was speaking on Friday night at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Port-of-Spain, at a farewell function for a squad of 22 national Under-20 footballers, who will embark on a pre-World Cup tour this morning.

The team is preparing for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Egypt, which will take place from September 24 to October 16.

Among the dignitaries in attendance at Friday’s function were Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) president Oliver Camps, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Gary Hunt, Minister of Legal Affairs Peter Taylor and legendary national footballers Sedley Joseph and Lincoln “Tiger” Phillips.

“We have invested in them, not for the now, but for the year after, because this is the team that will make us proud in 2014,” said Warner, referring to the FIFA World Cup, scheduled for that year, in Brazil.

“We have invested wisely, and I feel very confident that when they take the field in September, before 80,000 screaming Egyptians, how I wish we have some Trinidadians in the audience,” he added – with a plea for help so the players’ parents can be in the stands in Egypt.

The FIFA vice-president and special advisor for the TTFF also indicated that either President George Maxwell Richards or Prime Minister Patrick Manning will be invited to visit, and support the team, in Egypt.

Warner continued, “whenever I try to help people I get in trouble. But (Anthony) Harford (of All Sport Promotions) and I will sit down and find some mechanism for the parents to go to Egypt.

“Whether we get some system of long-term payment from the bank or soft loans, I don’t know,” he added. “But the parents are entitled to go to Egypt.”

He also plans on carrying a steel-band to Egypt, to play the national anthem before each game, but that will depend on sponsorship, either locally or internationally.

Warner revealed that the term ‘Soca Warriors’, which was used exclusively for TT football teams, will now be allowed to be given for every touring TT team, in any sport.

In his parting message to the squad, Warner said, “whatever happened in the past, however good you would have played, it is not how good you are, it is how good you want to be.

“And the only way you can tell how good you want to be is how you play in Egypt,” he ended.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »

Wait, wait, wait....

Ent.....we.....did speculate.....bout dis....nah, nah, is another $150K...cyar be the same one.... :-\ :(

D article say is d same money.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 07:06:39 PM »
Well....like him or not....he is kinda right.

This U 20 team IS the best prepared team in the history of T&T football purely in terms of # of practice matches and exposure against top teams.

Whether they are the best ever prepared national team technically, tactically, physically, nutritionally, psychologically etc is debateable.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 03:01:35 AM »
I have some time and would like to see our Under 20s play at Sheffield to-morrow,does anyone know the time of the game.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 05:42:19 AM »
and the current senior team is the worst prepared in the history of football

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 06:57:30 AM »

Cosign

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »

:-\ is fantastic that the youths getting support, but at the expense of the senior team .... in the final stages of the hex .... as don leo say in football 2+2 doh always equal 4

jack say he done fight with panday but like he taking it out elsewhere ....

It is not at d expense of d senior team. Dey allocate 150k to d snr team they eh go aplace instead of d money endin in JW pocket it gone 2 d under 20 dat eh say it eh go end up in he pocket but at least a lil accountability.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 07:22:14 AM »
JW sounding much worse than the late "Papa Doc" of Haiti,lets hope he doesn't become PM of TT. :)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 07:31:56 AM »
JW sounding much worse than the late "Papa Doc" of Haiti,lets hope he doesn't become PM of TT. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
Well....like him or not....he is kinda right.

This U 20 team IS the best prepared team in the history of T&T football purely in terms of # of practice matches and exposure against top teams.

Whether they are the best ever prepared national team technically, tactically, physically, nutritionally, psychologically etc is debateable.

cosign
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 09:42:02 AM »
allyuh making a big deal of $150k?

we going an spend $2 BILLION on helicopters and allyuh worried about $150k?

Trinis rich. $150k is chump change and f**k you money to us.
I sure if the helicopters costing $2B, gas alone to fill one up to go from POS-San F'do will cost $150k.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »

The 2001 senior team might argue wid yuh on that one.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »
then Cyprus to play against Australia and England, before landing in Egypt two days before the tournament's opening game against the hosts in Alexandria.

According to this the Cyprus tournament is among Australia, T&T, and also USA.

1]; } ?>