May 02, 2024, 10:45:45 PM

Author Topic: Healing stem cell 'spray'  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Healing stem cell 'spray'
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Video inside
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=13424065&nid=148

Stem cell spray heals burns
SALT LAKE CITY -- A spray solution of a patient's own stem cells is healing their severe burns. So far, early experiments under a University of Utah pilot project are showing some remarkable results.

What was once a serious burn on Kaye Adkins foot is healing nicely now because of a topical spray. With diabetes as a complication, the small but open wound had not healed after weeks of failed treatments.

Dr. Amalia Cochran with the university's Burn Care Center says, "With a wound that is open for several months, as this patient suffered prior to seeing us in our burn clinic, we worry about a pretty heavy bacterial load there."

But enter the evolutionary world of regenerative medicine, using almost a bedside stem cell technique that takes only about 15 minutes. With red cells removed, a concentrate of platelets and progenitor cells is combined with calcium and thrombin. The final mixture looks almost like Jello.

"I woke up and saw them with this big thin, looked like a needle, and I said you're going to put that in my foot? And they said NO, we're going to spray," Adkins said.

Though her own skin graft had failed before, the topical spray was used during a second graft. It "took" and healed. "I had never heard of anything like that. It was just amazing," Adkins said.

Adkins burn is healing and so is her heart. Coincidentally, stem cells were used during her bypass surgery five weeks ago to hasten healing for that procedure as well. While hundreds of heart patients have had stem cell treatments, burn patients are still few in numbers.

Cardiothoracic surgeon Amit Patel and burn care surgeon Amalia Cochran are experimenting on small burns for now. But down the road, both are hoping for large scale clinical trials on patients with much larger burns.

Patel asks, "Can we accelerate healing or improve healing. Then it's the quality of healing. And then, we hopefully advance to decreasing the scarring process completely."

"It's my hope that in my career," Cochran adds, "stem cells will completely revolutionize how we're able to take care of patients. Not just with small burns that are challenging to heal, but with massive burn injuries as well."

The military is keeping a close eye on the Utah project. The future for treating burns on soldiers could stagger the imagination even more. Patel says "regrowing your own skin in a bioreactor is very realistic and that's not five years away even. We start with a biological band aid and hope to end up with basically synthetic skin that's still derived from your own cells."

In this dream of regenerative medicine, Patel believes we can only imagine a day when sheets of pristine skin might be available to any patient off the shelf.

------

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Healing stem cell 'spray'
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:26:21 PM »
that is d future of medicine. next 10 to 20 years go be big
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
Surprise it eh Canada dat come up with this breakthrough.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »

dem mormon on small ting...canada doctors regrowin limbs long time now, usin unicorn stem cells

I doh think dey could grow back yuh tail though, but ah could get yuh ah brand new pitchfork
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »

dem mormon on small ting...canada doctors regrowin limbs long time now, usin unicorn stem cells

I doh think dey could grow back yuh tail though, but ah could get yuh ah brand new pitchfork

I doh need ah new pitch fork, I will jes pull de old one out yuh ass.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

ah hear it have a lot of yankees coming up here for penis enlargements.But men like TC does get turn away because you have to have something to work with first.

Article #1: http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=f8168eb9-7206-48b0-b4b3-3efb3827a6d2

Dr. Robert Stubbs is on the cutting edge of genital cosmetic surgery. From his Yorkville-based practice he has become known as the penis enlargement go-to guy and men have come from all over the world for his penis lengthening procedures. ... " I didn't want to be the penis enlargement guy. The fact that my surname was Stubbs and I'd been to China to see Dr. Long do his thing.... I got an early reputation as a plastic surgeon for doing very, very difficult rhinoplasties and fixing botch-up jobs from other people.... The penis outclasses the nose hands down when it comes to risk and complexity"

Article #2: http://www.psurg.com/humber99.html
"In Toronto, Dr. Robert Stubbs performs the majority of penile enlargements. The lengthening procedure costs $4,345 and a girth enhancement by fat transfer costs $1,872.50. To have the dermal graft procedure done, the cost is $4,547.50. "Most cosmetic surgeons refer their patients to Dr. Stubbs. He has done the most penile enlargements in the area and is the most experienced," said Dr. M. Bederman, a cosmetic surgeon. Dr. Stubbs was unable to comment because he was in surgery at the time."

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:00:32 PM »

I doh need ah new pitch fork, I will jes pull de old one out yuh ass.

boy yuh still tinkin bout my ass...ah tell yuh arready I doh play 'coast guard spartacus' like allyuh

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »

ah hear it have a lot of yankees coming up here for penis enlargements.But men like TC does get turn away because you have to have something to work with first.

Article #1: http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyandhealth/story.html?id=f8168eb9-7206-48b0-b4b3-3efb3827a6d2

Dr. Robert Stubbs is on the cutting edge of genital cosmetic surgery. From his Yorkville-based practice he has become known as the penis enlargement go-to guy and men have come from all over the world for his penis lengthening procedures. ... " I didn't want to be the penis enlargement guy. The fact that my surname was Stubbs and I'd been to China to see Dr. Long do his thing.... I got an early reputation as a plastic surgeon for doing very, very difficult rhinoplasties and fixing botch-up jobs from other people.... The penis outclasses the nose hands down when it comes to risk and complexity"

Article #2: http://www.psurg.com/humber99.html
"In Toronto, Dr. Robert Stubbs performs the majority of penile enlargements. The lengthening procedure costs $4,345 and a girth enhancement by fat transfer costs $1,872.50. To have the dermal graft procedure done, the cost is $4,547.50. "Most cosmetic surgeons refer their patients to Dr. Stubbs. He has done the most penile enlargements in the area and is the most experienced," said Dr. M. Bederman, a cosmetic surgeon. Dr. Stubbs was unable to comment because he was in surgery at the time."

Pecan as soon as ah pull meh trident out ah Dutty ah making dat trip...he go have sumting to wuk with den.

1]; } ?>