May 13, 2024, 09:38:19 PM

Author Topic: Can Jack Warner redeem himself?  (Read 11250 times)

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Can Jack Warner redeem himself?
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
    Can Jack Warner redeem himself?

He could quit.

That would be a good start.

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 12:44:13 PM »
so you dont think putting peoples lives in danger and tiefing people money is bad ?..............remind me to have no dealing with you pardner

Way d facts?
Trinikev, nice 2 see u back in d discussion brudder. do u honestly believe that none of the accusations put forth against Jack are true?.  i have to be honest with u my friend and as hard as I doh want to admit this -- wait ah minute leh meh take ah deep breath ------- ah breading----------okay leh meh let some air out now. Alright JW had some misgivings.  Yes fellas Slimmy (Dutty call me dah name) say JW had some misgivings, but his body of superior positive works, by far outweigh d negative.

SLIM, you coming on here telling ppl to be objective when u not doing the same yourself. Anytime somebody say something good about JW, u all over it, preaching it as gospel (when nobody provide concrete proof), but when ppl point out some of his indiscretions, suddenly it's hearsay. Superoli's list is presented in the same way you presented your list of JW achievements (which you heard from someone else as well).  U really sounding like u have an agenda.

Let me ask you something, do u honestly believe that none of the accusations put forth against Jack are true? And I not just talking about accusations on this forum, I talking about the entire football world.

"If you think education is expensive try ignorance."

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2008, 01:59:46 PM »
Yes JW can redeem himself. All he has to do is make more positive movements with our football program by either 1) walking away from the TTFF and allowing competent people to take charge and make decisions in the best interest of our game, or 2) Play his part as a special adivor by giving proper, positive ideas and opportunities for our football to move on. By letting go of the purse and the purse string will do well as a show of good faith to the fans that he (JW) is moving in a new direction.

Now don't get me wrong, people may take a long time to acknowledge him turning a new branch, but he will have to accept this as people will rightfully be weary of his dealings. However, if he want to grow as a person then he have to slay the dragons he bred himself.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2008, 07:02:30 PM »
Yes JW can redeem himself. All he has to do is make more positive movements with our football program by either 1) walking away from the TTFF and allowing competent people to take charge and make decisions in the best interest of our game, or 2) Play his part as a special adivor by giving proper, positive ideas and opportunities for our football to move on. By letting go of the purse and the purse string will do well as a show of good faith to the fans that he (JW) is moving in a new direction.

Now don't get me wrong, people may take a long time to acknowledge him turning a new branch, but he will have to accept this as people will rightfully be weary of his dealings. However, if he want to grow as a person then he have to slay the dragons he bred himself.

I doh understand what JW have to redeem himself from?  What from being successful with T&T football?  Would we be better of without JW today?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »
YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!  YES!!! Slim you suffering from Eric Williams syndrome. When he dead who we go put? We have had Robbie, Panday, Manning, chambers.

there are people quite capable of doing the job. They may  not have the international strings as Jack. But that is not the most essential criteria for being a good and effective President of TTFF. After 30 plus years we want fresh ideas.

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »
YES!!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!  YES!!! Slim you suffering from Eric Williams syndrome. When he dead who we go put? We have had Robbie, Panday, Manning, chambers.

there are people quite capable of doing the job. They may  not have the international strings as Jack. But that is not the most essential criteria for being a good and effective President of TTFF. After 30 plus years we want fresh ideas.

Come on Deeks man, how could u ever compare Eric Williams to Robbie, Panday, Manning, Chambers. Thats like.  Howver comparing Pele to Cornel Glen, no comparison my friend.  However, i do agree with you that after 30 years there is a need for fresh ideas.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2008, 12:55:02 PM »

I doh understand what JW have to redeem himself from?  What from being successful with T&T football?   Would we be better of without JW today?

You really take in what you type? That statement alone prove what everyone been saying.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »

I doh understand what JW have to redeem himself from?  What from being successful with T&T football?   Would we be better of without JW today?

You really take in what you type? That statement alone prove what everyone been saying.

Which statement Elan? This one:Would we be better of without JW today?

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2008, 08:48:24 PM »

THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT

FROM 'VILLAIN' TO GODFATHER, FIFA VICE-PRESIDENT, AUSTIN JACK WARNER TURNS MISFORTUNE INTO DOLLARS

By Camille Moreno
Business Guardian
January 13, 2000
Page 1

In the international football community, Austin "Jack" Warner is well known as a shrewd and tough administrator.

But for many others, particularly the players of the popular sport, Warner is a godfather who steps in and helps them out in their hour of need.

Such was the case last Friday when a footballer, fearful of losing his car which had been repossessed by a bank, caught up with Warner at the local Concacaf offices in Port of Spain.

It was by chance that the ever-busy football federation president turned up for work that day.  He had returned two nights earlier from Germany for a brief stopover before heading out on Monday to Brazil where the Fifa World Club Championships are being played Monday.

Preoccupied with last Saturday's friendly match between the senior national squad and Canada, as well as the launching of Carnival 2000 celebrations in his Arouca hometown the next day, Warner seemed a bit perplexed by the distressed young man's arrival at this offices.

Rather than wave him off with the excuse of a tight schedule, the 56 year-old Fifa vice-president ushered the contrite lad into his office and immediately got on the phone with the bankers.

"What would you have done if I weren't here?" chided Warner, sounding like a schoolteacher once again.

"Sorry sir, sorry sir!" replied the player, as if he were indeed a pupil in one of Warner's former classes.

And as quickly as he came in the grateful footballer was soon on his way out to the bank, hopefully to retrieve his car, after Warner arranged to a guarantee for his outstanding payments.

The gesture is an act, which the retired teacher of Polytechnic Institute, also known as Sixth Form Government Secondary, would perform for anyone once he had "the means to help".

That's why when Miss Universe 1998 Wendy Fitzwilliam was desperately seeking a sponsor for the trip to the international pageant in Hawaii, Warner quietly bought her a first class ticket.

Fitzwilliam, however, spilled the beans about his generosity.

"I have personally given away as much as $25,000 in a month once.  But I don't run here and there to pose for pictures of me making a donation.  It makes what I do seem less genuine," Warner admits cautiously.

That he is always wiling to lend a helping hand to youths stems from Warner's own struggles growing up in Rio Claro and Longdenville, Chaguanas.

Indeed, his own ascendancy to the millionaires club was not an easy climb for the Fifa executive who once cut cane in Central Trinidad to help out at home.

"We were poor, very poor.  I used to cut cane, look after pigs, and walk six miles to and from school.  Those were tough times," recalls the Presentation College, Chaguanas graduate.

The worn-out garb he wore in the fields is a far cry from the tailored three-piece suits Warner sports today.

Placing his personal worth in the $50 million range, the father of two is not shy about the "ultra-fantastic" paychecks he receives as Fifa vice-president, a position he assumed in 1997.

It, too, is a long way from his earnings as a teacher and general secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

Ever ready to dip into his own pocket for the sake of football, Warner once mortgaged his Arouca home for $30,000 to bail out the former cash-strapped TTFA.

With such financial woes a thing of the past, Warner's current assets include the football club, Joe Public, the Scarlet Ibis hotel, real estate in Port of Spain, Westmoorings, St Augustine, Arouca and Salybia.  Also among his investments are a battery company in Costa Rica and "a few businesses" in the United States (US).

"I began buying properties across Trinidad from the salary and allowances I received from FIFA.  This made it easy for me to invest.  I have had one or two good fortunes."

Apart from a solid-gold letter opener, a gift from King Fahd of Saudi Arabia, Warner's most-prized fortune is Joe Public of which his wife Maureen and sons Daryan and Daryll are directors.

Ameer Edoo, executive chairman of WISE, the brokerage firm, and businessmen Peter Stone, Anand Persad and Curtis Forde round off the football club's board.

As owner of the only non-corporate sponsored team in the Professional Football League, Warner provides handsomely for his players, whose salaries range from $1,800 to $8,000 complete with insurance coverage and bonus benefits.

On the real estate front, the one-time president of the Caribbean Football Union (a position which gave him an automatic seat on the Fifa council prior to his vice-presidency) is currently remodeling the Scarlet Ibis hotel in St Augustine, which he bought in 1998 for $6 million.

Although he previously planned to use the 52-room structure to accommodate visiting football teams - a vision he also had for the controversial John John Towers for which he once made a $6 million bid - Warner has since decided to turn the hotel into an apartment block.

A multi-storey plaza is also being built next door on the hotel's car park, which the entrepreneur hopes to name "Shoppes of St Augustine".

In his adopted hometown of Arouca, Warner also owns and runs a small shopping mall, Kantac Plaza, and recently bought additional lands, which will be turned into a "Carnival City" for the eastern community's 2000 celebrations.

Warner's astute investments did not stop there.

Among the newest additions to Warner's real estate portfolio is a property in uptown Port of Spain, situated next door to his building on Edward Street, which he rents to Concacaf for its Trinidad offices.  He plans to share the additional space with the TTFA.

The list goes on and on and includes a local warehouse that he bought to store the gifts he had received from 129 countries.

Given his affluence, it seems Warner always had a flair for business.

But after more than 20 years as  a teacher (he retired from Polytechnic in 1993) and football administrator, Austin "Jack" Warner the businessman only came to the fore after the infamous Strike Squad November 19, 1989 loss in the World Cup qualifier against the US.

The defeat, which left Warner a broken man, turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

"When we lost I was vilified by the country.  I cried like a baby during that experience.  So that in April 1990 I thought I should leave the country because people outside were asking me to come and take over Concacaf.  It was then that Jack Warner, the businessman, began to emerge."

Pushed by Chuck Blazer, a New York accountant and businessman, Warner went up for the Concacaf presidency.

The hard-worn battle against Mexican, Joachim Terrazas, who ruled Concacaf for close to 30 years, was only the beginning of what turned out to be a bigger financial conflict for Warner.

"When I got into Concacaf, I met an organisation in Guatemala City that had been there for over 30 years and which was virtually bankrupt with a table, eight chairs and US $40,000."

But with Blazer at his side as Concacaf general secretary, Warner turned the struggling organisation into a US $4 million enterprise in just two years.

He did so by moving the football confederation to the financial capital of the world - New York.

There, Warner and his Concacaf team, courted some of the top US corporations, among them international soft drink giant, Coca Cola, American Airlines and Budweiser.

"I was able to sit in the boardrooms of these guys and talk one and one with them and so I was able to get certain benefits from them for Concacaf."

Drawing on his own diplomatic skills, hones in the classroom and in countless football meetings, Warner charmed leading US businessmen, among them real estate magnate Donald Trump, who gave Concacaf a ten-year-lease on an entire floor at Trump Towers in Manhattan.

The first year was free and as an added bonus Trump gave the football organisation the right to sublet.

That Fifa had named the US as the host country for the 1994 World Cup turned out to be just the extra luck Warner needed.

Indeed from as early as the 1986 World Cup, the Rio Claro-born native knew that football would burgeon into a worldwide billion-dollar industry.

"Fifa was able to raise over US $200 million from the two World Cups, (1986 and 1990).  I was then able to see that football and business are not enemies, that there is a kind of nexus between the two."

With that in mind, Warner capitalized on the 1994 World Cup fever in the US and struck up major sponsorship deals for Concacaf.

Today these include a multi-million dollar contract with US football marketers, Inter/Forever Sports which sponsors Concacaf tournaments - among them Copa Caribe - and the national football team.

The two partners have also hooked up to market the broadcast rights to the qualifying games for Concacaf countries leading up to World Cup 2002.

It is a deal like this, which helped to turn around the regional confederation's fortunes during the past ten years.

Today, Concacaf has over US $24 million in cash reserves, offices in Guatemala City, New York and Port of Spain and a staff of more than 40.

Indeed, Warner believes that eh local business fraternity continues to miss the boat when it comes to understanding the money-spinning potential of football.  And more importantly, they miss out on the chance to give back to the national community.

In the former respect, most companies are far behind international corporations, particularly those in the United States (US), which traditionally has not been known as a football, in their case soccer, country.

And even today, race and class remain an obstacle to the sport's development locally, affirms Warner.

"Football is still seen as a sport for the black, the destitute, the lower class.  It does not endear itself to the people who have money.  But the guys who have money fail to understand that they will be insecure as can be, if they fail to give a little help to the black kid on the block."

Past governments also did not escape Warner's criticism for their lack of vision when it comes to the development of football and sport in general.

The day former PNM sports minister Marilyn Gordon gave him $10,000 at the then National Stadium on the last leg of a 16-team tournament, stands out in Warner's mind as one of the low points in the history of local sport administration.

In light of his vision for the sport, though, Warner is perhaps his own best example of how football can translate into big business for players, corporate sponsors and a country.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »
Slimmy, you still fertilizin fields with that propoganda article boss?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2008, 09:12:04 PM »
Slimmy, you still fertilizin fields with that propoganda article boss?

Dutty, I did not write d article in no.  War happen none of dem things is true?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2008, 10:24:43 PM »

This statement
What from being successful with T&T football?

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2008, 11:06:08 AM »

This statement

So he has been a big failure huh?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »

This statement

Exactly he has been a not success not T&T football, thanks for pointing that out.

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »

This statement

Exactly he has been a not success not T&T football, thanks for pointing that out.

Well my friend Elan there are many of us with good eyesight who really cannot see, but even Stevie Wonder sees the success JW has with T&T football.  I have never said there have not been any misgivings by JW, but for me the positives out weighs his short comings.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »

This statement

Well my friend Elan there are many of us with good eyesight who really cannot see, but even Stevie Wonder sees the success JW has with T&T football.  I have never said there have not been any misgivings by JW, but for me the positives out weighs his short comings.

How can the positives out weigh the negative? Even you typing it correctly, JW has been successful because he use T&T football to get where he is. Now tell me where is T&T football compared to JW status?

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2008, 12:10:56 PM »

This statement

How can the positives out weigh the negative? Even you typing it correctly, JW has been successful because he use T&T football to get where he is. Now tell me where is T&T football compared to JW status?

How can the positives out weigh the negative? Even you typing it correctly, JW has been successful because he use T&T football to get where he is. Now tell me where is T&T football compared to JW status?  T&T made it to the 2006 WC for the first time.  What do u call that a failure? Isn't  of one of the major goals of all football countries to make it to the WC and T&T did that for the first time in 2006? If we are going to blame the head for failures shouldn't we also congratulate him for the successes?

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2008, 01:57:29 PM »
There is no doubt that the name Jack Waner evokes emotion from Trinidad & Tobago football fans. I think that everyone on this forum can investigate the man and his deeds and arrive at an appropriate conclusion. Personally I agree with Marc Anthony's assesment of men and their deeds in that, "the evil that men do live after them, the good is oft interred in their bones". Given all of the negative things Jack has been a part of, I believe his legacy will always be enveloped in in a cloud of doubt and suspicion. What I would like to know is if there is any way for Jack to redeem himself. Given all of the negative things that have occurred, does anyone think there is a way for him to bring himself back up to par? Suppose one day he awoke and had an epiphany, what would he have to do? I do not think he can redeem himself, but I would like to gauge the forums response.

It had ah time ah couldn't miss ah day on de forum, if ah did, ah will be excited and anxious to sign on and see what good on de forum. Well now, ah  does miss 4 or 5 days, and ah don't have de vibes like before, cuz lately most of de times, is de same shite being repeated over and over. Well wid no dis to de Moderators at all, cuz you all are doing a splendid job as usual  :beermug:. Meh point ah getting to is dis right here, to dis thread and to some of de people dat does rush tuh start a thread (think before starting a thread). I say a big fat steupssssssssssssssssss to this thread. Jack, Jack, Jack, every damn day .

All yuh really running out ah ideas on de forum for real, same stupid topic, just disguised in ah different way. Marx, doh take it personal meh friend, ah doh know yuh and ah doh have nothing against yuh, cool. However, Supa doh hold back wid what he have tuh say at all, no one is exempted. But dis Jack topic again man, good lawd, all yuh making de forum real boring boi, damn. Do like some people and myself, if yuh do have nothing good or smart to say, wid reference to starting a thread, just read and enjoy, steupssssss. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »

This statement

How can the positives out weigh the negative? Even you typing it correctly, JW has been successful because he use T&T football to get where he is. Now tell me where is T&T football compared to JW status?  T&T made it to the 2006 WC for the first time.   What do u call that a failure? Isn't  of one of the major goals of all football countries to make it to the WC and T&T did that for the first time in 2006? If we are going to blame the head for failures shouldn't we also congratulate him for the successes?

Come on SLIM better than that. When your child pass SEA is that the end of that? The qualification to the WC was a major step towards success, and then JW took us 10 steps back with the blacklist. Look at us now struggling to beat Bermuda, cannot secure proper warm up games (we name all kind of teams and then end up playing teams iat the same level as us), no structure in place for football to progress in T&T and no federation in place to assist the would be player to excel and realise their dream.

How could you say our football is successful?

Take a look, one of the many.......
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=37747.msg455969#msg455969
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:58:24 AM by elan »

1]; } ?>