May 14, 2024, 05:32:11 AM

Author Topic: Baptiste sets benchmark  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Baptiste sets benchmark
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »
Baptiste sets benchmark
By Randy Bando (ttproleague.com)

Bmobile Joe Public ace goalscorer and captain Kerry Baptiste says that he wants other players to follow his example.

"I want other players in the League to see what I am achieving and push to achieve the same," said the Trinidad and Tobago international and Joe Public attacker.

Baptiste to date has scored 18 Digicel Pro League goals in just 12 matches for the Lions.

"It’s all about composure. I try to stay as composed as possible when I'm on the pitch and most importantly in front of goal," explained Baptiste.

"I'm always trying to market myself as a player and other players should keep this in mind."

His personal feat has done well for the Lions placing them in the top three in the standings with 25 points, that's one less than current leaders San Juan Jabloteh and the same with Caledonia AIA of Morvant Laventille.

"I always push to carry out my duties as best as possible," continued the Public star. "And I encourage players to work hard as possible."

Baptiste has been criticized in the past for his non-defensive approach but this season the diminutive attacker showcases the attributes of a complete player.

Over the weekend Baptiste was denied by the upright in his team's 1-1 draw against visiting United Petrotrin at the Marvin Lee Stadium. Baptiste's name wasn't next to his team's item but no one could forget his five goals against St Ann's Rangers in Joe Public 5-3 victory in their previous match.

"I'm not saying that I will always come out and score five goals in a game, but I can promise to give my best. I do what is asked by my coach in practice and thank God often," said the Public star player.

Baptiste has also shined on the international scene with the Trinidad and Tobago National Men’s Senior Team this year netting the winning item in a 3-2 score against St Kitts recently and in two earlier scrimmages netted hattricks under the watchful eyes of T&T coach Russell Latapy.

Baptiste weren’t part of T&T World Cup debut in 2006 but wants to play a major role in their upcoming qualifiers.

"I'm working hard on my game to stay on the national team and help my country to the next World Cup (South Africa 2010)," Baptiste ended.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Baptiste sets benchmark
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »
Big up baptise he deserve a spot on the National squad...

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:09:52 PM »
Baptiste deserves his call up.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »

He had his call up, and he did get a spot? Didnt he play against Mexico last WCQ? (he came on for Keon Daniel), didnt he score the winner against St Kitts?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:43:14 PM by College »

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:43:08 PM »

He had his call up, and he did get a spot? Didnt he play against Mexico last WCQ, didnt he score the winner against St Kitts?
Yup thats why we saying he deserve his spot... not Latapy better call him up...

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

He had his call up, and he did get a spot? Didnt he play against Mexico last WCQ, didnt he score the winner against St Kitts?

He deserves his spot??

Breds he was called up and got a chance to play. Instead of 'he deserves his spot', how about he needs to grab the opportunity with both hands and cement a spot on the team. This revolving door thing not working!

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 07:53:26 PM »

He deserves his spot??

Breds he was called up and got a chance to play. Instead of 'he deserves his spot', how about he needs to grab the opportunity with both hands and cement a spot on the team. This revolving door thing not working!
Aight man all am saying for august game i expect to see the man in the squad because he playing like a boss right now...

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:22 PM »
wham 2 roberts & jaggy ???  ..... ;D
big up yuhself baptiste.  keep strivin 4 more!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:03:15 AM »

He deserves his spot??

Aight man all am saying for august game i expect to see the man in the squad because he playing like a boss right now...
Yet another mirage! if you've been following T&T football as long as i did, then you'll understand what i mean! just like evans wise, hector sam, hudson charles, rouggier, arnold dwarka, gary glassgow, dwight yorke, jason scotland and many more.

they all great @ the club level and in friendly international games. they do great things when the pressure is off, but when it's time tuh deliver in important international games, they does go missing. that's why i love stern john! that fella could play under all kinda pressure and deliver said speed, and has been doing it for yrs.

baptiste and dem have tuh show me that them is clutch players, i not impress with no forkin club stats, show me yuh could come through when the chips are down! then and only then, yuh could cement ah spot in the national team, but for now, get on line yuh late blooming 28 yr old rookie.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 06:07:40 AM »
How them men go get a chance to learn to cope with pressure though when certain men undroppable for all the big games?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 09:34:41 AM »
How them men go get a chance to learn to cope with pressure though when certain men undroppable for all the big games?

Same ting I sayin.

JC yuh talkin sense but yuh approach incongruent.  How he could show you anything in the clutch when if you had your way he "shouldn't even sniff we national team"  That is what yuh said right?!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 01:49:44 PM »

Same ting I sayin.

JC yuh talkin sense but yuh approach incongruent.  How he could show you anything in the clutch when if you had your way he "shouldn't even sniff we national team"  That is what yuh said right?!
Breds , during the blacklist , all them men get ah chance tuh shine BC they was on wim's roster. kerry and his brother kriston was on wims team and kerry baptiste played both in the decgicel and gold cup, and tuh tell yuh the truth, dem fellas was part of the offence and did squat! yuh remember that or yuh just became ah kerry fan over night ?

seon power , kerry baptiste, gary glassgow, trent noel, ramauld agularra, andre pachecco, andre toussant, anthony noreiga, kenyo thomas, errol mc farlene, denzel theobald , silvio spann, jan williams, darryl roberts.

it's only three men that shine coming off that eperience, errol mcfarlene, darryl roberts , and trent noel, everyone else was quite ordinay bordering on shitty. dem men got more than one chance and showed nothing on an international level, hek!! baptitste even got ah few chances on pancho's team, and still nothing! so what more chances he want? lets try someone new.

we want fellas who is proven goal scorers! yuh know what i hate about this whole T&T football scene, it have men who pick sure sure sure and dem men know they don't nessesarily have tuh produce tuh ensure ah pick, that's why we doh have fellas leaving every thing on the field.

imagine fabio cappello or dunga playing scotty for 9 games and yet not ah single goal? yuh think if he (cappello) didn't get ah goal from his front line in 4 games ah fella getting the opportunity tuh play # 5.sstttuuueeepppsss!! only in T&T this nonsense does happen!

dwight yorke eh have no club, he's 38 and he hasn't touched ah competitive ball in months, yuh want tuh bet he's goin tuh be ah starter on latas roster come aug12th! now this is the kinda nonsense that have we underachieving, and it's no supprise to me that we're laying last with two points @ the bottom of the hexonal table.

we need tuh keep this selection thing competitive! just like brazil, just like england, USA, mexico, spain etc. fellas who not sweating for their clubs eh getting no playing time, all keon, birchall, dwight,stern, spann, aklie  @ one time wasn't sweating regular and riding pine right through and was regular starters on the national team, keon didn't have ah team and was unfit but he pick was sure.

when we in T&T start taking this game seriously , we will be going places, but until then, i don't think we even deserve going to ah digicel cup , let alone ah gold cup , and far be it from ah World cup. from the federation to the coaches, things need tuh change. we not serious @ all, and our standard of exellence gets ah big fat no grade!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 02:06:08 PM »

Same ting I sayin.

Breds , during the blacklist , all them men get ah chance tuh shine BC they was on wim's roster. kerry and his brother kriston was on wims team and kerry baptiste played both in the decgicel and gold cup, and tuh tell yuh the truth, dem fellas was part of the offence and did squat! yuh remember that or yuh just became ah kerry fan over night ?

seon power , kerry baptiste, gary glassgow, trent noel, ramauld agularra, andre pachecco, andre toussant, anthony noreiga, kenyo thomas, errol mc farlene, denzel theobald , silvio spann, jan williams, darryl roberts.

it's only three men that shine coming off that eperience, errol mcfarlene, darryl roberts , and trent noel, everyone else was quite ordinay bordering on shitty. dem men got more than one chance and showed nothing on an international level, hek!! baptitste even got ah few chances on pancho's team, and still nothing! so what more chances he want? lets try someone new.

we want fellas who is proven goal scorers! yuh know what i hate about this whole T&T football scene, it have men who pick sure sure sure and dem men know they don't nessesarily have tuh produce tuh ensure ah pick, that's why we doh have fellas leaving every thing on the field.

imagine fabio cappello or dunga playing scotty for 9 games and yet not ah single goal? yuh think if he (cappello) didn't get ah goal from his front line in 4 games ah fella getting the opportunity tuh play # 5.sstttuuueeepppsss!! only in T&T this nonsense does happen!

dwight yorke eh have no club, he's 38 and he hasn't touched ah competitive ball in months, yuh want tuh bet he's goin tuh be ah starter on latas roster come aug12th! now this is the kinda nonsense that have we underachieving, and it's no supprise to me that we're laying last with two points @ the bottom of the hexonal table.

we need tuh keep this selection thing competitive! just like brazil, just like england, USA, mexico, spain etc. fellas who not sweating for their clubs eh getting no playing time, all keon, birchall, dwight,stern, spann, aklie  @ one time wasn't sweating regular and riding pine right through and was regular starters on the national team, keon didn't have ah team and was unfit but he pick was sure.

when we in T&T start taking this game seriously , we will be going places, but until then, i don't think we even deserve going to ah digicel cup , let alone ah gold cup , and far be it from ah World cup. from the federation to the coaches, things need tuh change. we not serious @ all, and our standard of exellence gets ah big fat no grade!

That was then.  I understand he didn't do much back then but at the same time, has he ever been this lethal in his career?  I agree with much of your sentiments but tbh I feel yuh too unforgiving in yuh outlook.  If TnT held that same view we wouldn't have had any DY or RL in the last campaign and probably wouldn't have made it to Germany.  The whole reason Scotty gettin all dem chances is because in the last 3 years he has scored about 80 goals.  Think about that # and tell me how many managers from comparable sized football federations wouldn't in some way pin their hopes on him finally netting.  KJ based onhis experience and the way he has been regarded by some managers and defenders is a feared striker (maybe not as much now).  You want DR and Jaggy dem but Latas eh seeing dem fellas play.  He seeing Kerry tho, and even if he unimpressed by the competition the goals are still coming at a feverish pace.  Maybe KB peaking late, who knows what the story is.  I know fuh sure that right now I'd rather give him a try as a starter because he is much hungrier than Scotty and KJ.

And I didn't just become a fan.  I know bout KB since he small so I know what potential talent is there if utalized correctly.  Also while yuh make a good point about the unattached and riding pine players, Birchall and Hyland are two of our better younger players that I doubt any coach fuh TnT in their right minds would exclude when fit.  Despite York'e situation he still plays a role and imo should start.  He shouldn't play far beyond halftime as he no longer has the legs for it.  Without him on the field I'd tap Noel to command the troops as I believe he is far better than many give him credit for an can be a leader on the field.  Despite the drought from the forwards our biggest problem is still defense.  Too many slow pokes and out of position players always in our backline.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 02:23:12 PM »
one interjection, Kerry Baptiste was a winger in the Wim days and early stints with Pancho, but the glut of goals in the pro league are coming now in his converted role as a striker.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:32:33 PM by dinho »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 02:36:37 PM »
one interjection, Kerry Baptiste was a winger in the Wim days and early stints with Pancho, the glut of goals in the pro league are coming now in his converted role as a striker.
We have enough strikers and they scoring in europe, not in some under develope slow ass unfit league. hek! anybody could shine in that league, in all honesty , i don't think he's ah better striker than gary glassgow the throw away king , so why bother? them boy not impressive, they are ordinary @ beat , no matter what position they play. a leopard can't change his spots.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
i eh go be so harsh, but i agree i doh see him as the answer.. but on the basis of his performances, he deserve his pick with the local training squad..

when it have KJ, scotty, stern, cornell and DR to come back well that is another story.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 03:08:31 PM »
i eh go be so harsh, but i agree i doh see him as the answer.. but on the basis of his performances, he deserve his pick with the local training squad..

when it have KJ, scotty, stern, cornell and DR to come back well that is another story.
Actually he did get his pick! my only beef is this fella is not no spring chicken, so why waste ah spot when it have rookies who should be getting their beeks wet, instead of experimentin @ this stage of the hex with a 28yr old winger turned striker.

in all honesty omar, when he played that 15 mins against mex, i didn't see anything of him to say this kid need inclusion, him and jorslin was non entities, that and the showing he had against st kitts,especially that penalty missed! that kinda sealed it for me! that and he the easy sitter he missed.

i had enough ah dat over the yrs, is time we move far away from that! breds YUH SEE THAT ! i real tired of the come close but not close enough business, i want forkin results and i want it NOW!!!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
Kerry didn't do squat under Wim in de Digicel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZuV1ij7tVE

I remember him being very much one of our better players. Especially with his crossing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:21:32 PM by Cool Beans »

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »
Actually he did get his pick! my only beef is this fella is not no spring chicken, so why waste ah spot when it have rookies who should be getting their beeks wet, instead of experimentin @ this stage of the hex with a 28yr old winger turned striker.

in all honesty omar, when he played that 15 mins against mex, i didn't see anything of him to say this kid need inclusion, him and jorslin was non entities, that and the showing he had against st kitts,especially that penalty missed! that kinda sealed it for me! that and he the easy sitter he missed.

i had enough ah dat over the yrs, is time we move far away from that! breds YUH SEE THAT ! i real tired of the come close but not close enough business, i want forkin results and i want it NOW!!!

Dan yuh heart dark bad!!  You really want to use that Corbeax sweat in Mexico against de man?  Weeeey! No more discusion necessary, yuh dyin fuh de coach to waste time as you put it on Jaggy and Roberts but he shouldn't on Baptiste?  Matter of fact yuh was railin up ah storm fuh him to use dog (when it ha all deze rookies who prabably wouldna do no worse.  Seem like ah double standard if I ever encountered one.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 04:06:12 PM »

Dan yuh heart dark bad!!  You really want to use that Corbeax sweat in Mexico against de man?  Weeeey! No more discusion necessary, yuh dyin fuh de coach to waste time as you put it on Jaggy and Roberts but he shouldn't on Baptiste?  Matter of fact yuh was railin up ah storm fuh him to use dog (when it ha all deze rookies who prabably wouldna do no worse.  Seem like ah double standard if I ever encountered one.
I've been known to be contrary @ times, i wont front. breds if yuh like yuh kerry then go brave, all i know is , if he was all that he'd be @ least playing in the USL.

i doh get nothing for playing down ah player, i just unhappy with latapy and the condition our football @ the moment! it's been three yrs and counting since our football fell into tourmol, and i thought latas would've @ least brought some sanity to the senior team, but instead it's more of the same, go figur.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:50:44 PM by just cool »

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »
I've known to be contrary @ times, i wont front. breds if yuh like yuh kerry then go brave, all i know is , if he was all that he'd be @ least playing in the USL.

i doh get nothing for playing down ah player, i just unhappy with latapy and the condition our football @ the moment! it's been three yrs and counting since our football fell into tourmol, and i thought latas would've @ least brought some sanity to the senior team, but instead it's more of the same, go figur.

I share your frustrations breds.  The only difference is I didn't have expectations with Latas.  I always had a hunch that others were making certain decisions when Maturana was coach and nothing about the new regime has changed that.  Pacho had obvious flaws in regards to him fitting our program, but he was a better manager than we got to see I believe.  He also gave a fair share of young players a chance to show what they are worth.  He even tried to help others by contantly giving them caps while many wouldn't have.  Because of him Hyland had a chance despite being unattached, and he is a very bright prospect for the future.  You like DR and so do I, Mats gave him a run early on as opposed to latas who eh realize he exists.  Now to me I not willing to believe Latas blind and doh kno that these players exist and can help.  I think it may be some kind of internal politics that is the reason for DR's ommision, especially when you consider his last NT performance.  As for Kerry understand that it have nothing to do with liking him as much as it's about seeing him perform in the role that he seems better suited for.  He was always forced to play a winger because he had some good speed and could shake a man or 2 and get off a good cross.  but now that he is playing as a striker he is looking like a man among boys tallying 19 goals to this point.  It has to count for something that in this position he has now already scored more goals to this point in the season than I recall him having in any other (stats men correct meh if ah wrong).  I agree with one thing that you have echoed consistently, and that is "we need to give other players a chance if the big guns not producing"  Some might think I crazy fuh thinking this but honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a combination of Stern and Kerry/ Roberts upfront.  You would have perfect contrast with either of those players next to stern.  Both have speed, both have ball handling skill, both can pass and most importantly both can finish.  Fuh de most part we want the same thing and have some similar thoughts, I just not willing to ignore a man current form when he didn't perform at the same level out of position in previous years.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
I've known to be contrary @ times, i wont front. breds if yuh like yuh kerry then go brave, all i know is , if he was all that he'd be @ least playing in the USL.

U saying Hardest, Whitley and Dwarika was never good cause they make their name in local circles or what?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »

U saying Hardest, Whitley and Dwarika was never good cause they make their name in local circles or what?

That can't be possible :devil:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 02:11:37 PM »

Where did i say that?? as for the three you mentioned, them men came in ah time when our players had very little recognision and was not in demand!

now today is ah differant story, every tuesday morning yuh hearing bout some body in the national set up gone on trial here there and every where.

another thing aurtis did have ample opportunities to shine , but BC of his mental disposition, i don't think he should be in the same catagory as baptiste and Co.

aurtis was playing ball in portugal and didn't like it and walked away, hardest is almost the same as autis, and so is dwarika.

them men have serious issues, so no one wants tuh deal with that in the business world, but talent they do have in abundance. i think yuh chose the wrong men as an example, but i get yuh drift.

today if yuh under 30, yuh have disapline yuh playing regular and yuh not getting looked @, then maybe yuh need tuh change representation or yuh simply not good enough.

1]; } ?>