May 21, 2024, 08:45:28 AM

Author Topic: Ramadan and Football  (Read 6311 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ramadan and Football
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 12:47:18 AM »
Something quite wrong with fasting (for any faith) and I eh figure it out just yet. I mean yes it is respecting the faith but what about the faith respecting me.

It's not about "respecting the faith"... it's about sacrificing carnal desires (food in this case) as a means of showing gratitude to the god of your understanding.

I'll pass.
Breds don't be so shallow. mind you, i not trying tuh convince yuh of naught, but just look around and see all the blessing yuh have as ah healthy functional being,(assuming yuh healthy) something that so many ppl lack and would die to have, and you have it no sweat.

to me that's a small price tuh pay for all the blessings we(healthy functional ppl) receive on ah daily. tuh sacrifice food and drink for 12 hrs a day for 29 days should be ah pleasure for any muslim who truly reflects on life and all it's benefits and hardships, especially when you and your children are healthy happy and doing well, when so many are deprived of the simple blessing we take for granted.

OK breds fair enough but instead of fasting as a way to pray for, contemplate the plight, or understand the feelings of those who without food and drink, why not eat/drink and sustain yourself and use the time and energy to mobilize and work towards lifting up and providing for deprived sisters and brothers.

Misery doh always like company. That starving family in a Brazilian favala probably doh care about who fasting as a means of understanding his situation. In fact, they might think you gone orf for doing so.

And what more important for a family's well-being and sustainence, money or food?

Because I believe it is the latter, but ppl who fast doh exactly stop working fuh a salary or work for half a day during the fasting period.
Breds this is not about understanding nothing, this fast is obligatory on the MUSLIM in the month of ramadan! if yuhs not ah muslim , then don't sweat it, it's not for you!

it's also obligatory for every MUSLIM tuh feed the needy and the less fortunate (real poor folks) providing they could afford tuh do so, starting with yuh family members and on down to the orphans, the sick and the old etc.

about ppl who working and fasting, if yuh truly can't cut it then it's recomended that yuh don't fast, but istead feed a certin amount of ppl. it's not fanatical as you may think my friend.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 01:35:14 AM »
Something quite wrong with fasting (for any faith) and I eh figure it out just yet. I mean yes it is respecting the faith but what about the faith respecting me.

It's not about "respecting the faith"... it's about sacrificing carnal desires (food in this case) as a means of showing gratitude to the god of your understanding.

I'll pass.
Breds don't be so shallow. mind you, i not trying tuh convince yuh of naught, but just look around and see all the blessing yuh have as ah healthy functional being,(assuming yuh healthy) something that so many ppl lack and would die to have, and you have it no sweat.

to me that's a small price tuh pay for all the blessings we(healthy functional ppl) receive on ah daily. tuh sacrifice food and drink for 12 hrs a day for 29 days should be ah pleasure for any muslim who truly reflects on life and all it's benefits and hardships, especially when you and your children are healthy happy and doing well, when so many are deprived of the simple blessing we take for granted.

OK breds fair enough but instead of fasting as a way to pray for, contemplate the plight, or understand the feelings of those who without food and drink, why not eat/drink and sustain yourself and use the time and energy to mobilize and work towards lifting up and providing for deprived sisters and brothers.

Misery doh always like company. That starving family in a Brazilian favala probably doh care about who fasting as a means of understanding his situation. In fact, they might think you gone orf for doing so.

And what more important for a family's well-being and sustainence, money or food?

Because I believe it is the latter, but ppl who fast doh exactly stop working fuh a salary or work for half a day during the fasting period.
Breds this is not about understanding nothing, this fast is obligatory on the MUSLIM in the month of ramadan! if yuhs not ah muslim , then don't sweat it, it's not for you!

it's also obligatory for every MUSLIM tuh feed the needy and the less fortunate (real poor folks) providing they could afford tuh do so, starting with yuh family members and on down to the orphans, the sick and the old etc.

about ppl who working and fasting, if yuh truly can't cut it then it's recomended that yuh don't fast, but istead feed a certin amount of ppl. it's not fanatical as you may think my friend.

I eh Muslim but I am human just like them. That comes first so naturally I must feel compassion on some level from that standpoint. I doh think I pointed any fingers anywhere.

"Not about understanding anything"?  "Obligatory" ? Look at them words just cool boy, seriously. Like ah concrete wall. Then it have "Muslim" in bold so it have mih feeling because is a religion I must accept it as it is and cyar question facets of it? Salt fuh that.

Despite myself, I have a friend who fasting, de poor girl bitter and irritable and does cyar wait till she could break fast. So in her case she doh show me the spiritual side. What disturbing to me is that she young (30) and don't even question these emotions and natural reactions she feels....but will grow to accept it as she grows older, has less time/energy to wonder about things and raise her kids similarly.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:55:54 AM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 02:44:49 AM »

I'll pass.

I eh Muslim but I am human just like them. That comes first so naturally I must feel compassion on some level from that standpoint. I doh think I pointed any fingers anywhere.

"Not about understanding anything"?  "Obligatory" ? Look at them words just cool boy, seriously. Like ah concrete wall. Then it have "Muslim" in bold so it have mih feeling because is a religion I must accept it as it is and cyar question facets of it? Salt fuh that.

Despite myself, I have a friend who fasting, de poor girl bitter and irritable and does cyar wait till she could break fast. So in her case she doh show me the spiritual side. What disturbing to me is that she young (30) and don't even question these emotions and natural reactions she feels....but will grow to accept it as she grows older, has less time/energy to wonder about things and raise her kids similarly.
Listen grande! yuh beggining tuh sound like one ah dem nosey liberals who feel they know's what's best for all of humanity, and is dem self who forkinup the world wid their do whatever yuh feel it's OK values, which is worst than ah man who want tuh fast or ah woman who wants tuh follow ah faith that may seem misogynistic.

this is the trouble in the world today, every body knows whats best for the next man. discipline has found it's self out side of our world, the modern day western view is ah do whatever yuh want as long as yuh not breakin any laws attitude, and question religion especially the eastern ones, but don't question us BC we know what's best for you..

but what happen tuh discipline? man doh want tuh be discipline no mo, that is old time backward values, beating yuh kids, teaching yuh daughter tuh be ah lady by dressing modestly and acting responsible, avoiding lewd sexual public display,

that's what should be debated instead of some woman who does get cranky when she fast, breds i'm sure no body eh have ah gun tuh her head telling her tuh fast, don't single out her situation in order tuh demonize fasting in ramadan.

listen pardner, this has been going on in the world long before you arrive , and it will go on long after you. the fact remains that the ppl who are fasting were not forced into it, if they want they could say fork it , just like some of my african breddrens who are muslims does do, after all , nobody eh have ah gun tuh dey head neither saying yuh have tuh fast!

just like the christians in the catholic faith who have the lent season, they doh have tuh abstain from meat if they don't want to,  but none the less some of them chose tuh loww the meat while some say later for that, it's all up to the individual.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:01:49 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline BlackCat

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Mourinho Upsets Muslim Leader...
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 07:11:39 AM »
Inter Milan football coach Jose Mourinho has been criticised by an Italian Muslim leader for suggesting religious fasting marred a player's performance.

Inter midfielder Sulley Muntari was substituted in the first half of his team's 1-1 Serie A draw with Bari on Sunday. Former Chelsea boss Mourinho said the Ghanaian was possibly lacking energy because of the fast he is observing for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Millions around the world are abstaining from eating or drinking in daylight hours during the ninth month in the Islamic calendar.

"I think Mourinho could talk a little less," Mohamed Nour Dachan, president of the Union of the Islamic community and organisations in Italy, told Sky television. "A practising (Muslim) player is not weakened because we know from the Institute of Sports Medicine that mental and psychological stability can give a sportsman an extra edge on the field. "A player who believes in Christianity, Judaism or Islam will definitely have a very calm psychological disposition and it will help him more."

Speaking after the match, Mourinho had said: "Muntari had some problems related to Ramadan, perhaps with this heat it's not good for him to be doing this (fasting)." He even suggested the player would be dropped for this weekend's crucial Milan derby due to the timing of the match.

Saturday's derby kicks-off at 8.45pm, but with sundown occurring at just before 8pm, it would not give Muntari much time to rehydrate and get some energy into his body. Siena striker Abdelkader Ghezzal, who scored in his team's 2-1 defeat at home to AC Milan at the weekend, revealed he simply cannot fast and play at the same time.

"I observe the fast during my days off, when there are no games or training," the Algerian said. "I've always observed Ramadan but I have had to change my habits for health reasons from the first year that I became a professional."

Udinese's Swiss midfielder Gokhan Inler, a Muslim of Turkish origin, is another who is not fasting this month, while Genoa's Moroccan midfielder Houssine Kharja does respect Ramadan. Both Ghezzal and Inler played 90 minutes at the weekend but Kharja never got off the bench.

Source: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-New...untari_Comments

The Muslim leader is obviously deluded if he thinks a player is not going to be effected by fasting. Simple maths really: Food = energy.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 03:02:37 PM »

I'll pass.

Listen grande! yuh beggining tuh sound like one ah dem nosey liberals who feel they know's what's best for all of humanity, and is dem self who forkinup the world wid their do whatever yuh feel it's OK values, which is worst than ah man who want tuh fast or ah woman who wants tuh follow ah faith that may seem misogynistic.

this is the trouble in the world today, every body knows whats best for the next man. discipline has found it's self out side of our world, the modern day western view is ah do whatever yuh want as long as yuh not breakin any laws attitude, and question religion especially the eastern ones, but don't question us BC we know what's best for you..

but what happen tuh discipline? man doh want tuh be discipline no mo, that is old time backward values, beating yuh kids, teaching yuh daughter tuh be ah lady by dressing modestly and acting responsible, avoiding lewd sexual public display,

that's what should be debated instead of some woman who does get cranky when she fast, breds i'm sure no body eh have ah gun tuh her head telling her tuh fast, don't single out her situation in order tuh demonize fasting in ramadan.

listen pardner, this has been going on in the world long before you arrive , and it will go on long after you. the fact remains that the ppl who are fasting were not forced into it, if they want they could say fork it , just like some of my african breddrens who are muslims does do, after all , nobody eh have ah gun tuh dey head neither saying yuh have tuh fast!

just like the christians in the catholic faith who have the lent season, they doh have tuh abstain from meat if they don't want to,  but none the less some of them chose tuh loww the meat while some say later for that, it's all up to the individual.

I ent pretending to recommend or know what is best for somebody else...if I give off that vibe, then my bad, but it is not what I was tryin to do. I still learning.

Yuh right this has been going on in the world long before I arrive, but I in a part of the world where one can explore, think, question, challenge, be challenged and rethink things we're taught to accept. Fasting is just another concept I was pondering about. And I must wonder why helping the poor/needy during fasting (certain religions) tends to go out to those less fortunate folks who are of the same religion/community - something I noticed.

questioning is all I doing...I doh think I would've outwardly been able to do this had I lived in certain Eastern countries. Thanks for the information you shared  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »

I'll pass.

I ent pretending to recommend or know what is best for somebody else...if I give off that vibe, then my bad, but it is not what I was tryin to do. I still learning.

Yuh right this has been going on in the world long before I arrive, but I in a part of the world where one can explore, think, question, challenge, be challenged and rethink things we're taught to accept. Fasting is just another concept I was pondering about. And I must wonder why helping the poor/needy during fasting (certain religions) tends to go out to those less fortunate folks who are of the same religion/community - something I noticed.

questioning is all I doing...I doh think I would've outwardly been able to do this had I lived in certain Eastern countries. Thanks for the information you shared  :beermug:

Breds , i really didn't mean tuh come @ yuh like that, but it have some ppl in the world today, if ah man want tuh seek spirituality and leave off the physical aspects of life, then they take offence to it as tuh say" who the fack he/she think they're fooling", when all that person want tuh do is incooperate some spirituality into their daily lives.

bottom line, any spiritual way ah man aspire too should @ least be respected providing they not hurting or forcing any mature adult to follow it. if ah man want tuh fast till he faint, then the world should have shyte to say as long as that man OK with that and he not imposing it on another.

in today's world every body want ah say in ppl's lives, i think the world would be ah better place if ppl know they place and stop seeking out ah next man ting for the brunt of their redicule.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 06:57:48 PM »
Word, Just Cool, wooooorrrrrd.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 07:18:55 PM »
My 2 cents. When it involves plenty money the stakeholders don't want to hear anything about spirituality, be it Christian, muslim or jew.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
My 2 cents. When it involves plenty money the stakeholders don't want to hear anything about spirituality, be it Christian, muslim or jew.

Cosign
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 08:12:05 PM »

You missing the point... when you love someone you'll make sacrifices for them.  That's one way of showing your love for them.  Most parents would go without to ensure that their children have enough to eat.  Adherents fast not because God needs to eat, but because it's ONE way of demonstrating their love for him.

1]; } ?>