May 09, 2024, 06:09:59 AM

Author Topic: allyuh educate me....re: football styles  (Read 2701 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
allyuh educate me....re: football styles
« on: January 04, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »
what are the different football styles  that exist and what is the underlying characteristic of each individual style
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: allyuh educate me....re: football styles
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »
what are the different football styles  that exist and what is the underlying characteristic of each individual style
:applause: :applause:
tanks Freakazoid
I waz too chicken to ask ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:39:34 PM »

that would take a book

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:28:23 AM »
hmmmm like alot a men does be shadow boxing then so no one can even breifly describe 1 football style

very interestng
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:27:18 AM »
dais a loaded question....style of play always change to suit the time and present laws of the game, eg Brazil from 35 years ago is not the same style Brazil today, similar but they had t o change a bit.

Way back in the day men used to play with 6 and 7 forwards.... things always changing IMO

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 07:49:36 AM »
dat really is a loaded question because in the modern game, at the highest international level, there isn't any clear distinction in style when watching on field play. Unless tactics and strategies can be defined as style so that when Brazil  beat England  or vice versa then one "style"  is said to be more dominant.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:30:49 AM »
ALyuh answer the man nah  ;)

See Full Article Here

"'Total Football' and its attacking pressure are very spectacular. It places great demands on
individual and team tactical excellence... An absolute prerequisite, to master such a team
tactical aspect, is that all the players possess a positive mentality, including the substitutes."
Rinus Michels

The playmaking style, also known as Total Football, is one of two team strategies, the second being the counter attacking style. These two styles are at the base of all the decisions about how a team will play in a match. The decision which style to adopt will determine the functions and responsibilities inside the team and how to conduct training sessions. The playmaking style is the hardest to prefect and is beyond the capabilities of most youth teams. In order to play this style of soccer certain key ingredient's must be present. Not some, or in some measure, but all and in spades. Without doubt the most important is to take the field with the correct mentality, the 'Amsterdam Bluff' as it's called in Holland.

"On the day of the 1974 final even West Germany expected Holland to win. 'They were a better team,' said Uli Hoeness later. Winger Bernd Holzenbein recalled: 'In the tunnel, we planned to look them in the eye, to show them we were as big as they were. They had the feeling they were invincible - you could see it in their eyes. Their attitude to us was, "How many goals do you want to lose by today, boys?" While we waited to go onto the pitch I tried to look them in the eye, but I couldn't do it. They made us feel small." 3

Sjaak Swart on Ajax: "When we played in our own stadium, teams who came here were afraid of us. In the bus they were already trembling. Many old players have told me this. Before the game started, it was already 1-0 to us." 3

Key Ingredient's For Playmaking Soccer

The predicted outcome determines choice. The playmaking style is only effective when you believe, and can back up, that you are better then the opponents, see above. If the predicted outcome is 4-0 to you, you can do what you like. If it's 4-0 to the opponents then you'll do what the opponents want you to do. One goal games, 1-0, 2-1 present a problem. While you can attempt to use the playmaking style, you're likely to be spending a good deal of time in the counter attacking style as well. Everyone in the team must understand and accept the decisions about how the team will play, that it is the best choice in the given situation.

Trust.

The players must have complete confidence in themselves and each other. That the plan is correct and everyone is capable of carrying out their part. This is only possible when the players really know one another, when they play 'instinctively.' Youth teams usually don't have enough time together to reach this level. Swart observed "It came from playing together a long time." 3 The playmaking style is a high risk style. It requires very high ambition and very low fear of failure on the part of everyone. "However, structural team building makes sure that: the players have confidence in each other, there is calmness in the games actions, the essential team spirit and team tactical views are present." 6 See Teambuilding.

Higher level of TIC and fitness then the opponents.

If the opponents are better in some area of the game they can provide sufficient problems that the playmaking style becomes too difficult. They can either become the playmakers themselves or so dangerous on the counter attack that fear becomes a factor. In the first case the opponents can have the ball a lot, and the playmaking style assumes that they won't. This means that you'll be defending, playing negative soccer, more then you'd like and expending energy in ways and areas that are not a part of the plan. In the second, fear leads to a safety first approach and this runs contrary to the mentality of the playmaking style, calculated risk taking. The team can play too conservatively, hesitate and become so preoccupied with what the opponents might do that they forget about what has to be done. (This applies to every member of the team. In a close game any weakness in even a single player can defeat everyone's work.)

Since most of the game will be played in the opponents half players will find little space and often play in a numbers down situations, i.e. 1v2, 2v4 and so on. Superior technique is a prerequisite to maintaining the necessary speed of play. Without it players will lack confidence and the ability to maintain the attacking pressure.

A higher level of insight and communication is necessary in order to seize opportunities. The correct moment to act will involve two or more players and there is not enough time for anyone to call instructions, let alone get any from the coach. Everyone must read the situation in the same way and arrive at the same conclusion. They must simultaneously act in a split second. The playmaking style involves a lot of nonverbal cues and communication. It is read, react and think later.

The fitness level needs to be very high. Constant changes in tempo and prolonged periods of elevated speed of play takes a toll both physically and mentally. The key players have the responsibility for determining the match tempo. It needs to faster then the opponents can handle but within the capabilities of the team. And remember the old adage, sometimes you have to go slower to go faster.

Adaptability. Mobility, the interchange of positions, is very important, but, so is speed. Players will need to cover for each other as they take advantage of opportunities but this must be done quickly and without hurting team efficiency. This means that players who switch positions usually do so with the players closest to them, i.e. right back and right midfielder or left wing and center forward. Every player must have mastered all of the basics in defending and attacking skills, notably both sides of 1v1 so that they can handle the demands of their temporary positions.

Specific roles. Teams line up at the start of a game for a purpose. To get the best out of each individual and to hide any weakness. The central defender and the center forward are the best available for their jobs at that moment . So if the central defender spends too much time up top then at least two positions are being occupied by players who are not ideally suited for the roles. This upsets the balance inside of the team and results in less efficient, slower, play. The interchange between positions is temporary and players need to resume their key functions as quickly as possible. Sometimes it is only a limited number of players that have the actual 'freedom' to change positions. The majority of the team constitutes the 'work talent' which, by definition, play in the service of the 'key players.' This does not relieve the 'key players' of any burden. Just the opposite, they have the added responsibility of leadership and having to use 'their extra qualities' in order to win the game. In this situation, while the 'work talents' can lose the game, they do not have to win it.

Concentration. Mental fitness is just as important as physical fitness. A break in concentration by a single player can disrupt the entire team effort and start a chain of events that can lead to disaster. The playmaking style requires tremendous concentration for long periods, like driving at high speed in heavy traffic for long distances. It is stressful and wearing. It is also presents a problem when a substitute comes on and is not up to the mental speed of the game.

The attack starts where you win the ball. In the playmaking style it means defending in the opponents half. This prevents the opponents from retreating and, as long as you can prevent the deep pass, reduces the space in which to 'hunt' the ball.

"The main aim of the attacking pressure football, the 'hunt', was: regaining possession as soon as possible after the ball was lost on the opponents half during an attack. The 'trapping' of the opponents on their own half is only then possible when all the lines are pushed up and play close together. This automatically means that you give away a lot of space on your own half and you are vulnerable to counterattacks... You need to control the opponent if you want to play an attacking style football!" 6 See diagram below.

The 'hunt' means two or even three players pressurize the player with the ball. The idea is that the first won't win the ball but forces a hurried pass. The second defender immediately applies pressure to the receiver forcing another hurried pass so that the third defender can win the ball. The 'hunt' is not strictly a man to man or zone defending scheme. Instead, every opponent ahead of the ball is marked and the rest of the team marks the players and space in the vicinity of the ball. Opponents who are behind the ball or in positions where they couldn't do much if they got it, the least dangerous men, are left free. This allows the defenders to concentrate in the area around the ball. They must still watch opponents, tracking down any that attempt to move forward and, above all, prevent the deep pass into the space behind the last line of defenders. When this is done in the opponents half it puts the attackers under tremendous pressure. Only when the opponents are able to successfully relieve the pressure will a playmaking team retreat back closer to their own goal.

When the ball is regained it is critical that it is not given back. Ideally, winning the ball in the opponents half should present an immediate scoring opportunity. However, the space is likely to be very crowded. In that case the ball should be protected by passing it quickly to a supporting player and away from danger. Young players can get 'ramped up' when they're defending and lack the composure to make the correct decision, (to build up or counter) when they come out of a tackle. They often simply give the ball back to the opponents and have to start defending all over again.

Learning the playmaking style is very difficult. It is designed as a means of breaking down packed defenses. It requires that the team master rapid ball circulation, both sides of 1v1, a lightning response to a change in possession, the ability to work in very limited space, the ability to change the tempo, speed, of the game and the ability to maintain concentration for prolonged periods under great stress. A tall order for young players. If their education is only started at 11 a side then only the best will be able to grasp the fundamentals and be able to contribute to the game as they get older. "This risky style of play demands individually a lot of football capacity. It entails that you often have to operate in small spaces during the build up and attack and defend large spaces with few players. This style of play requires a methodical process in the youth program, and also specific types of players; such as wing forwards and defenders who get involved in the attack." 6 Games like 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 can serve as the starting point and building blocks for developing not only the skills, but the mentality for playing this style of soccer and assist in youth development.

The lighter area in the diagram shows the space where playmaking teams prefer to play. The orange team has committed all ten field players to the opponents half and their goal keeper has come forward to act as a sweeper behind the back line. As long as they can keep the game in this space they face little danger and the opponents will be under constant pressure. The danger for the playmaking teams is the space behind the last line of defenders. A single long pass to a fast forward can put ten orange players out of the game. The defensive phase must involve the entire team. Playmaking teams cannot function against quality opponents with a sweeper that plays ten yards behind the back line or forwards that will not, or cannot pressurize. They will lose the battle in the midfield and have to start their attacks too deep in their own half. Simply put, it is more then just quick ball circulation, the rapid interchange of positions and all out attacking play. Without a clear commitment by everyone to do the dirty work necessary to regain the ball and neutralize the opponents it is more risky then the return brings. In fact, without the high pressure defensive 'hunt' and a smooth, quick, efficient transition from defending to attacking/building up play the playmaking style is difficult if not impossible to pull off.

"The advantage of this play-making style is that you are capable of playing it under all circumstances. You always take the initiative, and you must do that. However, if you fail to carry the play and get under pressure, then the opponent will take advantage of the weak aspects of the style you are playing." 6

See coaching mentality.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:46:03 AM »

Each individual style bro. Wow!  ;D

Style may be delivered (or viewed) in a variety of ways.

For example someone may be speaking about the simply short passing with combinations & movement.

Someone else could be talking about possession of the ball, but without any real penetration.

Another may be discussing looking to win the ball (defending) immediately as the ball is lost and in the opposition half.

Others defending deep and counter.

Some teams are known for looking to attack (push forward) once in possession and their attack may be varied (long deep passes, short quick passes, dribbling etct )

Jack Charlton may say his team played deep into the opposition half towards a big man who knocks down or flick on for supporting players. If that not on play to corner flag and fight for it down dey.

Style in football means many things to many people and different things to different people.

Some teams does just play plain shit  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:06:09 AM »
Touches I think the question was posed more in a national as opposed to individual context. We had a Dutch coach and now we have a Latin coach  :) :) so I think the question is being asked if their philosophies are culturally inherent. I think it ultimately it does come down to the team and the strategies they use to respond to the tactics of their opponents

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 10:06:05 AM »
Depends on how you want the question answered? In my opinion, there are styles of play that are adapted to team formations and then Formations that are that are adapted to the style you want to play. I guess if you thinking of  pure styles, the ones i can think of are Total Football, Longball, Direct, what they used to call in England 'Kick an Rush' doh know the proper term, sweeper the way the Germans played it was actually a style of play. I know there are more (Brazilians must have a few) but to actually define them properly you have to relate them to various formations, as depending on the formation used, various positions become more or less important and how these positions are actually played have altering characteristics. It would take ages to properly answer and I am no football guru.

ah classic example of what I'm trying to say is the Longball style which some say has evolved into direct football: essentially both try to use the smallest amount of passes to get the ball to the front men, in theory, this increases the number of chances you have to score.....instead of 'wastin' time passing the ball about.  That was England's style of play fuh years, many non-english would say it still is! The system used changed as the decades went by though. In the 50's and back it was ah 3-2-5 or 2-3-5 formation to maximise the chance of scoring created oppertunities by having many attacking players. The 60's-80's saw different variations of the 4-4-2 with varying emphasis on pacey wingers, creative skillfull number 9's, Big Frontmen would could head well (Wimbeldon played this way). Apparently we doh play longball no more...is Direct Football.

Just my take on the question, but just naming styles would'nt really give a good answer.

The UK TV channel 'BBC three' had a good show about a month or so ago comparing the Cup finals of 2006 and 1950 (something) it compared how the game was played then to how it is now, actually showing action from both to emphasise points.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »

Each individual style bro. Wow!  ;D

Style may be delivered (or viewed) in a variety of ways.

For example someone may be speaking about the simply short passing with combinations & movement.

Someone else could be talking about possession of the ball, but without any real penetration.

Another may be discussing looking to win the ball (defending) immediately as the ball is lost and in the opposition half.

Others defending deep and counter.

Some teams are known for looking to attack (push forward) once in possession and their attack may be varied (long deep passes, short quick passes, dribbling etct )

Jack Charlton may say his team played deep into the opposition half towards a big man who knocks down or flick on for supporting players. If that not on play to corner flag and fight for it down dey.

Style in football means many things to many people and different things to different people.

Some teams does just play plain shit  ;D

the above by Observer i think answers the question.
-ball possesion--keep it, move it, triangles , players moving, make the opponent head spin and kill em with a  deadly thru ball
-direct-win it fast as possible,get it forward close to the opponent goal and battle it out
-and then yuh get behind the ball stay compact,  and catch the opponent on the break

well playig shit-see Arima Snr Comp, Tringrove, Gustine,-just a quick friendly shot at some fellow forumites. ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 12:54:52 PM by football king »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
Best thread I've seen on here in a while.

I think Touches, Observer and Rodney have all come closest to answering the question as I understand it...and addressing 'style' itself, as I've always thought of it.  For instance, whenever I've thought of style of play I thought of a 'national philosophy' inherent to a particular team...the flowing football of the Dutch teams (primarily the older Orange Crush teams) with an emphasis on attacking and keeping the ball moving, rather than holding it up.  This I believe eventually gave rise to 'Total Football', as ably explained by Touches' post. 

Then there's the 'Kick and Rush' that Rodney described, which seems to describe the style of play of the English teams...kick it long and run under it, with a premium on the individual strength and speed of the midfield and forwards being the primary asset.  The ball is pushed down the flanks more often than not, then crossed in behind the defense.

Then the German style....which is a variant of the English game, but played at a more deliberate pace.  The aerial attack of the Germans have been their biggest asset, trying to use their height and overall aerial dominance to capitalize on dead balls and crosses played into the box.  Much more physically punishing than the prior two styles mentioned.

Spanish football relies on short quick passes, matriculating the ball downfield with precision passes...requiring skill at shielding and holding the ball, accuracy under pressure...vision for thru passes from the midfield to the flanks and into the box.  They try to lull you with the possession passes, then pounce on any lapse in formation or judgment.

Italian football seems a variant on the Spanish game with the same short passes and opportunistic attacking...however they are masters (particularly today) of the counter-attack.  Inviting offensive forays from the opposing midfield, then using long, accurate passes to get behind the midfield, then strength and pace of their own attacking players to pressure the opposing defensive third.  In many regards this emphasis on long passes and pace also resembles the English game, while their own aerial dominance, with it's reliance on crosses and dead balls, is also reminiscent of the German game.

I'm not really sure if France has it's own unique style...hard for me to describe.

Lastly there's Brazilian football, which is noted for the individual on-the-ball skills of every player on the pitch, and a free-flowing mentality that quickly converts defenders into forwards and mids, and vice-versa.  In a sense it's probably the best example of Total Football, but with a much more individualistic flair...perhaps the most telling example of 'street football' making it's way into the national philosophy of a team.  In other words, Brazilian football is like a small goal game played with 11 men on regulation pitch.  Possession, vision, passing and dribbling skills are absolute necessities for each and every player...say nothing of pace.  The individual ability of each player allows for subtle transformations in play...from short quick passes ala the Spanish, to Total Football, ala the Dutch, to the speedy counter-attack (albeit on the ground) of the Germans.  Aside from individual flair, another key characteristic of the Brazilian game are the probing forays (much like the Argentines and Mexicans) by attacking players...capitalizing on the pace and skill of the individual.  Finally, they are original masters of the free-kick.

I've never really sat down and analyzed the issue, so much of this is just a spontaneous attempt to describe my own observations over the years, as best as I can recall them.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
 A particular  'style' is at times associated with a country or team after an established period of time. I am not sure if  success is always possible if a coach was to impose his style upon a particular team. I think an astute coach would look at the  players' skills attributes and work a 'system' that will best suit that team.

If we look at the current coach of England, would we speculate that England would now be playing an Italian style of football?

As we look at style do we have to differentiate between style and system of play? are they synonymous? or is a  case of semantics?

Were we playing a 'Dutch'  style under Beenhakker?

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=18544.msg190399#msg190399

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »
Touches I think the question was posed more in a national as opposed to individual context. We had a Dutch coach and now we have a Latin coach  :) :) so I think the question is being asked if their philosophies are culturally inherent. I think it ultimately it does come down to the team and the strategies they use to respond to the tactics of their opponents

Mep I didnt gather that from his original question.

what are the different football styles  that exist and what is the underlying characteristic of each individual style.

Nothing in his question spoke about coaches nationality, nothing is there either about philosophy or culturally inherent stuff.

Say what, carry on...

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 03:15:13 PM »
i think the question is kinda unanswerable. but i guess you can generalize. I think you can break teams down into two very broad categories with regard to style

1) Possession football: The basic idea is to dominate the game with possession, usually a short passing game with intricate patterns. tire the opposition as they chase the ball.
2) Counterattacking football: Solid defensive effort. Frustrate and counter. Speed of transition from defense into attack is key.

Now this is just the broadest most basic way to divide styles as I see it. you can look at more intricate styles like Dutch Total football or Argentine football and say they fall into category 1 without compromise. Then take a style like Italian catennacio and it falls into category 2. Brazil plays a unique blend of the two. Whereas they were a possession side in the past, they abandoned the traditional #10 and play a more counterattacking style. Look at the final of the Copa America. They purposefully employed a style that basically used 2, but they still mix in some possession football.

But that is just the most basic breakdown. Probably the first thing the coach thinks of. Then you have to refine it. Whether you are a counterattacking team or a possession team, I think the next thing is where does your creativity come from. Again, in the broadest sense, the main source of creativity either comes from central midfield (Argentina and Riquelme) or from out wide (Brazil's central midfield are workhorses and Kaka and Ronaldinho create from a slightly wide position)..or both (Barca employs Messi and Ronnie but combines them with a traditional number 10 in Deco, supported by Iniesta)

After that, you can look at whether you let the ball do the work (eg. Spain). You don't need a lot of raw speed in your team, just mobile technically gifted players. Either that, or you are a running team (eg. England, Germany, USA). Teams rely on physically superior players who are fast and strong.

To me, these are the 3 broadest philosophies that dictate style of play. All styles are adaptations of these basic concepts..and most employ some combination of these.

To try to go into any more detail is just too confusing and could never be exhaustive. Too many styles out there. You also run into the problem of exactly how you define style. But say what..dat is where I come out.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »
there's also another angle which could be taken to interpret that very broad topic of football styles..

This is not specifically a system of play, or tactical methodolog, but this is inherent with national culture and genetic make-up that is expressed in a player's individual playing style..

i was once asked what is the difference in technique between brazilian and argentinian players, and was stumped for the answer. I was told that the difference is that brazilian players trap the ball with their insteps while argentians mash/step on the ball.. I never really take that on until then and in watching closely i could see it was true..

That isn't all down to coaching. Most times you can watch a player on the ball and venture an educated guess about which country or region the player originates.. This is just by watching a player's body movements, ball control and the way he runs with the ball and kicks.. Pertaining to trinidadian players, I find ours is a kinda languid, unhustled style of play with emphasis on skill but lacking in urgency; a kinda saga boy ball.. In our play i can see our culture being expressed, including the good and the bad.. The same is true of other countries.. The german players have a kinda robotic, efficient, no-nonsense brand.. the english have a boring brand with lack of creativeness and ingenuity.. The koreans and chinese are hustlers with emphasis on hard work and running..

To me this is what makes the World Cup so beautiful, because it is a contrast of cultural and genetic playing styles (as opposed to tactical systems and structure of play) that come together to compete to see in an essence, what is the dominant species..

that said, with the immigrant influence becoming a bigger factor in the composition of national teams, I think it will get harder to identify countries in the same manner.  This is the reason I feel it is difficult to categorize a specific playing style for the french national team, apart from the air of arrogance they carry with them into the major tournaments..

my 2 cents..

1]; } ?>