May 13, 2024, 04:42:36 PM

Author Topic: Randi Patterson signs with Charleston Battery.  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Randi Patterson signs with Charleston Battery.
« on: March 08, 2008, 07:05:53 AM »
Randi Patterson signs with Charleston Battery.
By: OurSports Central.
[/size]

The Charleston Battery have signed forward Randi Patterson. The Trinidad and Tobago international was an All-American at UNC Greensboro and spent his rookie season with MLS's New York Red Bulls. Forward Randi Patterson comes to the Charleston Battery from Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls. Patterson spent his rookie season with New York in 2007 but did not see action in any first team games. Originally from Hackensack, NJ, Patterson 5-9. 170 lbs., 23 yrs spent four seasons at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, where he was a two-time Southern Conference Player of the Year and NCSAA All-American selection. Randi finished his college career with 61 goals and 19 assists. Battery has also signed Cuban forward Lester More for the 2008 USL First Division season. Patterson, country man Andre Toussaint and Lester More will all do battle for the forward position this coming season.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:27:40 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Randi Patterson signs with Charleston Battery.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 07:11:48 AM »
If de Battery retain Toussaint for de 2008 season, it would be an interesting combination up front.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
 I looking for Toussaint to rip up that league..as long as that man get used to that football...I figure he will do a thing

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 04:44:39 PM »
Good Job

Jagdeosingh did not get mention?
as E-Man said, he was on the field for the Battery recently
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 04:46:25 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
Toussaint seems like a footballer who has some ability

He also seems to me, on the occasions that I have seen him, to be one who is a bit of a lightweight...especially playing a forward position.

Easily muscled off the ball despite good "touches"

I doh see him "rippin up" any proper league....but hopefully I'm wrong.

Touches can only get you so far in a proper league.  In today's football, unless u name Messi, Robinho or sumting where you have better than average ability, you need to align that "touch" with physicality and even those players are strong for their size. 

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »
Toussaint seems like a footballer who has some ability

He also seems to me, on the occasions that I have seen him, to be one who is a bit of a lightweight...especially playing a forward position.

Easily muscled off the ball despite good "touches"

I doh see him "rippin up" any proper league....but hopefully I'm wrong.

Touches can only get you so far in a proper league.  In today's football, unless u name Messi, Robinho or sumting where you have better than average ability, you need to align that "touch" with physicality and even those players are strong for their size. 

Actually, I agree with Palos to some extent.  I saw him play against the Atlanta Silverbacks last summer and you could see he has pure skill.  In fact his skill level was one of the best, if not the best on the pitch.  Once he learns how to handle the pounding of US football, he will improve.  I don't know about rippin up but he could be very good.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Charleston Battery to play in United Soccer Leagues Second Division in 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 12:42:44 PM »
Charleston Battery to play in United Soccer Leagues Second Division in 2010
charlestonbattery.com

In a continued effort to provide the Charleston community with an entertaining, successful and stable professional soccer team, the Charleston Battery will play in the United Soccer Leagues Second Division (USL2) for the 2010 season. As a USL professional franchise since 1993, the Battery has been a part of Charleston’s rich history and culture for 17 years, winning national championships in 1996 and 2003.

The Charleston Battery joins a league of stable franchises in USL2 that have been a part of USL for many years – Richmond Kickers (since 1993), Charlotte Eagles (1993), Pittsburgh Riverhounds (1999), Harrisburg City Islanders (2004) and Real Maryland Monarchs (2008).

"We believe that the level of competition in USL2 will be very similar to that in USL1 and we expect to field a very exciting and competitive team. We also look forward to renewing old rivalries with Richmond and Charlotte” said Battery President Andrew Bell. “Playing in this division will also substantially reduce our travel costs as we won’t be flying all over the country”, he added.

The current United Soccer Leagues First Division (USL1) is experiencing some difficulties with a group of owners known as the Team Owners Association (TOA) looking to breakaway and form a rival league. The TOA was formed in early 2008 by owners of USL1 franchises to address ownership and management issues. At that time every USL1 team was a member of the TOA with the exception of the Charleston Battery.

“The Charleston Battery has never been a part of TOA, not because we disagreed with some of the legitimate complaints they had about how USL1 operated in the past, but because we totally disagreed with their stated vision to be a viable alternative league to Major League Soccer (MLS) and to compete with MLS on and off the field. This made absolutely no sense to us,” said Charleston Battery CEO Tony Bakker.

The TOA’s current membership includes former USL1 teams plus expansion teams. One of the teams, Vancouver will be joining MLS in 2011 and an announcement is anticipated that Montreal will be joining them in 2012.

USL1 will include at least the following teams for the 2010 season, Portland, Rochester, Puerto Rico, Austin and New York. Portland will be joining MLS in 2011.

“This breakaway is not good for soccer in the United States. Cooler heads should have prevailed with all parties sitting round a table and resolving their differences for the benefit of the sport. This did not happen and we will all have to deal with the consequences,” added Bakker.

The Battery will play a 20 game regular season schedule beginning mid-April with the season running through the end of August. The Charleston Battery will once again host its pre-season tournament the Carolina Challenge Cup featuring Major League Soccer in March and will also enter US Soccer’s Lamar Hunt US Open Cup (dates TBD).
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>