May 22, 2024, 06:31:43 AM

Author Topic: Donovan open to Prem move  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Donovan open to Prem move
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »
Ok the real reason why Donovan won't make it in Europe is that he is predictable. What Donovan is good at is taking the ball with speed and attacking the defender's front foot....but once the defender makes the adjustment he doesn't have anything else in his bag of tricks. Look how poorly he performed in the World Cup or for that matter against any big name team.
He is something of a one-trick pony...but hey, it's effective enough I guess.

Damn...you'd think I actually like this Donovan character, lol.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 06:51:40 PM »
I give jack he jacket. To me Donavan is a real good player and will go down in history as one of the best that concacaf ever produce...but I don't feel that the prem cut out for players like him and borgetti.
Bounty
I will be interested to know how you would rate him next to Trinidad greats..since you put him as one of the "greatest" in concacaf...

Dwight
Russell
Marcelle
Dwarika
Edwards
Lewis
etc

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »
I give jack he jacket. To me Donavan is a real good player and will go down in history as one of the best that concacaf ever produce...but I don't feel that the prem cut out for players like him and borgetti.
Bounty
I will be interested to know how you would rate him next to Trinidad greats..since you put him as one of the "greatest" in concacaf...

Dwight
Russell
Marcelle
Dwarika
Edwards
Lewis
etc

Just look at his international accomplishments...especially if his accomplishments within CONCACAF can be gauged...that would seem fairest.  He doesn't belong in the same class as Latas or Yorke, of course.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »
Bounty

Dwight
Russell
Marcelle
Dwarika
Edwards
Lewis
etc

Just look at his international accomplishments...especially if his accomplishments within CONCACAF can be gauged...that would seem fairest.  He doesn't belong in the same class as Latas or Yorke, of course.

he's 25 years old.  can't really compare him to retired (or almost retired) players, but he definitely on track.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »

Cheers.  :beermug: To me, Cagliari get decent coverage.  FSC brought a lot of coverage that featured the mid-table teams this season, and even last season.  I've seen a lot of Suazo, and this brother is problems.
respect..you still in the minority tho'  ;D

Every single weekend on FSC was either Cagliari, Torino, Catania or Messina playing.. I swear dem sides play twice as much games as everyone else last season..

Anyone following italian football last season should have seen enough of Suazo to have a well informed opinion...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 10:12:07 PM »

he's 25 years old.  can't really compare him to retired (or almost retired) players, but he definitely on track.
Sure you can...take a look at what they accomplished by the age of 25 and compare to his accomplishments.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 05:21:22 AM »

Cheers.  :beermug: To me, Cagliari get decent coverage.  FSC brought a lot of coverage that featured the mid-table teams this season, and even last season.  I've seen a lot of Suazo, and this brother is problems.

Every single weekend on FSC was either Cagliari, Torino, Catania or Messina playing.. I swear dem sides play twice as much games as everyone else last season..

Anyone following italian football last season should have seen enough of Suazo to have a well informed opinion...

Breds you could go on and on...Since when does following Italian football mean you see mid to lower level teams regulalrly. It does not matter how much you follow Italian football, not too many people was watching Cagliari v Torino or Cagliari vs Messina week in week out. So they showed Cagliari more than I realized but I still willing to bet that most posters on this board follow the big teams and check out he lower level teams when they meet their favorite team or when they bored and have nothing better to do. I notice you didn't go so far as to say you watched them regularly..even though you say they were on just about every week. You really feel posters here watched Cagliari every week the way they watch Barca, Real, Milan, ManU, Arsenal etc...Thousands of threads and not one about Suazo until the transfer to Inter even though he ripping right through. Anyway, go and read what I wrote again..I didn't say noone watches Suazo, I said noone watches him regularly. That may mean different things to different people but I telling you, anybody who saw Cagliari play more than 10 times in the last 2 years see them plenty compared to the vast majority of people on this board. And to me, that is not enough to have an informed opinion...altho' on this board it might since men like to judge a player hard hard after they see him once or twice  ;D.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 05:39:29 AM »
Ok the real reason why Donovan won't make it in Europe is that he is predictable. What Donovan is good at is taking the ball with speed and attacking the defender's front foot....but once the defender makes the adjustment he doesn't have anything else in his bag of tricks. Look how poorly he performed in the World Cup or for that matter against any big name team.

So explain why he did so well in his first World Cup. You mean all those top coaches and top class defenders couldn't adjust after 5 games. After all these years, a big team like Mexico can't stop him. I think it has little to do with versatlity and ability, since most good players aren't coming at you with a bag of a zillion tricks..They usually are very effective at a couple of things and fit into a team structure that exploit that. It was his attitude at the time. Bayer Leverkusen didn't seem to want to sell him..he wanted to leave. The staff there thought he was a good enough player to keep him..He just didn't like life in Germany and didn't enjoy not being a regular starter.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 06:35:09 AM »
sorry eh fellahs, but i didn't even read all the contributions to this thread and ah want to say meh little piece...In MY Humble Opinion i feel Landon could do a lil thing in EPL, de only way we could know for sure is if de fellah really go to the EPL, barring that we could just sit an speculate all day. Again I feel he could represent, ah mean look at Brian McBride, yuh mean Landon can't do as well or better than McBride-not to mention de other lesser  US players??? And PLEASE!!! ah know all de world reknowned Coaches and Pundits on dis forum looking to step up on dey soapboxes and start talking bout dey play different positions, blah, blah, friggin blah. again that is just how I feel, if other men feel differently, great!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
Look at him play....he has speed and skill but his m.o. is the same ....In his first world cup he did well but what has he done lately? You'd think that someone who has been around this long would be world class. He just isn't and when you ask why has his game plateaued the answer is simple there is no variation. He just doesn't have that creativity that would set him apart. Part of his problem and I blame it on his coaches is that he has always been labeled as a M/F and when he plays forward he is pretty much out of synch and you see him dropping back at times. He is a natural OM Donovan who would always be a good player nothing else.....

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2007, 11:11:49 AM »
Donovan does not have the balls to play football that challenges him. He never and does not possess the intestinal fortitude to leave his comfort zone. What footballer worth their salt would not want play in a league where they can learn and grow. That is the only way one learns and grows; is by leaving your comfort zone. He only talking about EPL because the Galaxy gettin press. He afraid the additional spotlight will continue questions about why he content with immersing himself in mediocrity, so he doing a preemptive strike! He has that American arrogance and disrespect for anyting not directly connected to America and he will always be a loser!
This bullshit, lol.

I commend you on you research into the stats on Donovan, the man is talented that is not in question and has backed it up on many occasions especially against TNT, but stats aside we saw a perfect example of his abaility against Chelsea last week. What  Donovan is not, is intimidating and the Chelsea defense were unphased by his challenges and runs easily taking the ball off his feet and breaking up any move he made, now had that been a full prem fixture he may have left the field on a stretcher.
A Chamionship team might be a good place to test his mettle and give him a taste into what is expected of him in the primereship

It's always interesting to see how laughably easy it is for people to inject their own personal brand of rabid anti-Americanism in any discussion of American players...you'd swear American was a monolith of thought and ideology.  But enough of my philosophical musings...back to the bullshit at hand:

To say that the guy is mediocre and content with mediocrity is just emblematic of men who so intent on perpetuating their dislike of a player that they invariably go into automatic brain cramp when mention is made of his name. Donovan is the same guy who won the Golden Ball as the Best Player at the Fifa U-17 tourney in 1999.  I'm sure it was mediocrity like that that make Leverkusen sign him at such a young age...granted he struggled to crack the starting line-up.  Folks want to criticize hiim for decisions he made at the age of 17 and then again at 22 regarding playing in Germany and talk about "intestinal fortitude" and that he's 'fragile' and 'delicate'.  

Which is funny because Donovan is probably THE most tenacious player a solid 70-80% of the times he's on the pitch...it's really a shame that bias does make asses of men.  The guy can't be mediocre or some shrinking violet all the while assuming the lead as all-time scorer and assist leader (think what you will of that stat) for his country, all in the very short span of 8 yrs.  Those 34 international goals must have been scored against some very mediocre competition...yet we ready to lift we Soca Warriors up to de rafters, lol.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »
Look at him play....he has speed and skill but his m.o. is the same ....In his first world cup he did well but what has he done lately? You'd think that someone who has been around this long would be world class. He just isn't and when you ask why has his game plateaued the answer is simple there is no variation. He just doesn't have that creativity that would set him apart. Part of his problem and I blame it on his coaches is that he has always been labeled as a M/F and when he plays forward he is pretty much out of synch and you see him dropping back at times. He is a natural OM Donovan who would always be a good player nothing else.....

i think you talking about whether he would light up the EPL....we really only discussing if he could make it. cuz not every good, effective player in the EPL, or any top European league is a world class versatile footballer.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 01:08:09 PM »
I commend you on you research into the stats on Donovan, the man is talented that is not in question and has backed it up on many occasions especially against TNT, but stats aside we saw a perfect example of his abaility against Chelsea last week. What  Donovan is not, is intimidating and the Chelsea defense were unphased by his challenges and runs easily taking the ball off his feet and breaking up any move he made, now had that been a full prem fixture he may have left the field on a stretcher.
A Chamionship team might be a good place to test his mettle and give him a taste into what is expected of him in the primereship

I honestly doh know how much the Chelsea players know...or care for that matter, about Donovan...so yeah, they neither intimidated nor fazed by him.  I tell you what doh, on a better team with more skilled players they'd learn to respect his game.  But that says it all right there...Donovan will blaze past you but that's about it.  Folks may want to knock him for that, but clearly within the US team's system it works...just as Mexico...or TnT for that matter, last Gold Cup he take de ball out his own defensive 3rd and run past three men like they was liming in de junction picking up woman.

Me ent no fan and I think he's overrated and overhyped within US soccer...but half these fools doh know better so bless dem.  That said he's not grossly overrated...just the added hype that makes it seem that way.  I admire the man because I like how hard he works, and I like that he ent fraid to run at defenders.  I can also appreciate that he's done plenty with the little that he was given, and would love to see him get a crack in the EPL, I think he'll really have a chance to shine with a lesser EPL club.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 01:11:08 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 03:10:26 PM »

Sky'..I cyah agree with that logic breds. We talking about whether he could make it in the EPL and you cite how the best team in England over the past 3 years showed him up. Let's be honest..the Chelsea defense can do that to even world class players.....pre season or not. And it was one game. It's pretty likely that if he played that level of opposition regularly he would wise up and change his game a little. He'd learn to pick his spots better..he might be surrounded by better players..and over time he might get stronger and faster due to the higher physical requirements. It also seems to me that he was trying too hard to impress (maybe he is putting himself in hte shop window for real). What works in the MLS won't work in the EPL. Even a world class striker like Shevchenko looked completely lighweight and unimposing for the better part of an entire EPL season. I am curious as to why you 1) you assume he cannot adjust his game and improve  2) you picked probably the hardest, best coached team to represent the entire league  ;D and 3) why draw a conclusion after 1 game against EPL opposition.

Donovan might crash in the EPL...I could care less. But saying he get manners by Chelsea in one game and should play in the Championship makes little sense. Now if he was mannersed by a mid to lower level EPL team you'd have more basis for that argument.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »

Breds you could go on and on...Since when does following Italian football mean you see mid to lower level teams regulalrly. It does not matter how much you follow Italian football, not too many people was watching Cagliari v Torino or Cagliari vs Messina week in week out. So they showed Cagliari more than I realized but I still willing to bet that most posters on this board follow the big teams and check out he lower level teams when they meet their favorite team or when they bored and have nothing better to do. I notice you didn't go so far as to say you watched them regularly..even though you say they were on just about every week. You really feel posters here watched Cagliari every week the way they watch Barca, Real, Milan, ManU, Arsenal etc...Thousands of threads and not one about Suazo until the transfer to Inter even though he ripping right through. Anyway, go and read what I wrote again..I didn't say noone watches Suazo, I said noone watches him regularly. That may mean different things to different people but I telling you, anybody who saw Cagliari play more than 10 times in the last 2 years see them plenty compared to the vast majority of people on this board. And to me, that is not enough to have an informed opinion...altho' on this board it might since men like to judge a player hard hard after they see him once or twice  ;D.

breds, take it down a notch to B flat...

I was simply lamenting the sub-standard italian games available on FSC, not saying that everyone here following cagliari or anything of the sorts..

just saying if anyone wanted to follow cagliari, they have enough of them showing on fsc to form an opinion on suazo..

allyuh hot under de collar eh?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »

breds, take it down a notch to B flat...

I was simply lamenting the sub-standard italian games available on FSC, not saying that everyone here following cagliari or anything of the sorts..

just saying if anyone wanted to follow cagliari, they have enough of them showing on fsc to form an opinion on suazo..

allyuh hot under de collar eh?

cool ting. thought you were responding to something else. and i jes cool...doh read so much into my response

1]; } ?>