May 22, 2024, 12:36:15 AM

Author Topic: Women’s football benefitting from Pellerud input  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Women’s football benefitting from Pellerud input
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:36:51 AM »
By Shari John (T&T Guardian)

Seventeen months ago, Norwegian Even Pellerud travelled from Canada, where he was head coach and technical director of the women’s football programme, to T&T to perform similar duties. Today, women’s football in T&T has benefitted tremendously from his input and the U-17 players will show what they have learnt from the ace coach at the Fifa U-17 Women’s World Cup from September 5. Beyond that, he says, will be a question of how far those in charge locally want to take the women’s game.

“We are not there yet. But, can we get there!”said Pellerud.“My answer is a loud and clear YES – when the political desire is there. And most importantly, the women’s national teams need to be coached by the best coaches available.” According to Pellerud though, T&T will give a good showing at the World Cup. “The U-17 team has become a competitive one, and we can play good football on a given day,” he said. “However, many of the girls still vary very much in their performance level, and that contributes to inconsistent team performances. Our goal is to showcase a team that has become competitive and mentally ready to play the big teams. That has been a consistent goal, and it still is.

“We know we drew tough opponents in our Group ‘A’, but we remain confident in our ability to reach the next round of this World Cup final.” Pellerud has done more than just moulded the U-17 women in his 17 months her. He has had an impact on all women’s teams and even the sport’s culture to some extent. “I have had to go through a little culture shock since I started to work in T&T,” he explained. In his usually amusing way, he described T&T’s laid-back culture: “I do find myself envious sometimes when I realise that people are on their own clock and really do not pay much attention to my urge for timeliness.” “There seems to exist a never ending series of excuses for showing up late to practice sessions and meetings, if at all....”

“I need to start to enjoy that kind of quality of life, too ... later in life,” he joked.” He indicated there has been a clash with the casual approach to discipline and the level of intensity and team thinking. But, the 56-year-old coach explained that he has thoroughly enjoyed the experience. “I have truly enjoyed it, I have learned a lot from it, and I feel like a much better coach today than when I arrived 17 months ago,” he said. “I have loved working with the girls and enjoyed fun times with a very hardworking staff and feel welcome by all local people, football people and otherwise. It took sometime before the locals around St. Augustine and Tunapuna (where he lives) acknowledged my presence in the neighbourhood, but that has changed over time.”

So have the players, he said, “It would not be fair to compare these players with those I met the first time 17 months ago. At that time some of them had just started to play football and were not very advanced in this sport.” He said their fitness, skill, game awareness and tactical understanding has blossomed immensely. “They are also bigger and stronger and smarter. But first and foremost, I met a team that did not show an interest in intensity and competitiveness – and this is the biggest change that has occurred.” He said the standard has now been set, and the U-17 World Cup will establish women’s football as the major sport for all young women.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Women’s football benefitting from Pellerud input
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
This article will open up once again the debate about Foreign coaches vs Local coaches, The million dollar question is whether the local coaches can change the cultural DNA of our players and instill the discipline required

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:38 AM »
There should be no debate regarding foreign v local ... both are necessary. Foreign coaches are not a luxury and local coaches should not function in isolation.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:16:09 AM »
What he has brought to women's football back home is consistent preparation and step-by-step developmental plans that have been adhered to --strictly! Maybe they should make him technical director of all the women's teams.  He has surely made this U17 team competitive.  Hopefully they can reflect this in the actual tournament.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »
Anything other than Shabazz or Charles is an improvement.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
you need foreign coaches on the womens side because unless you live it you cannot teach it.

Womens football in TnT does not have the depth and experience to compete, they had to brining someone who know what is required.

the only way you can know that is to live outside TnT. or have extensive international experience.

We do not have that locally on the womens side. you talking about girls that now start playing football.

On the mens side it is a little different because the game is more established.

Latapy for example is technically a "Foreign" coach because he lean to coach in Portugal and scotland.
But he is not qualified to coach the womens game since he has limited experience in that area, men and womens football is too totally different things.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »
What he has brought to women's football back home is consistent preparation and step-by-step developmental plans that have been adhered to --strictly! Maybe they should make him technical director of all the women's teams.  He has surely made this U17 team competitive.  Hopefully they can reflect this in the actual tournament.

The problem is after he is gone is back to business as usual.  :(

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:26:19 PM »
KND I think we need foreign coaches on the men side too.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:49:23 PM »
By Shari John (T&T Guardian)

“We know we drew tough opponents in our Group ‘A’, but we remain confident in our ability to reach the next round of this World Cup final.” Pellerud has done more than just moulded the U-17 women in his 17 months her. He has had an impact on all women’s teams and even the sport’s culture to some extent. “I have had to go through a little culture shock since I started to work in T&T,” he explained. In his usually amusing way, he described T&T’s laid-back culture: “I do find myself envious sometimes when I realise that people are on their own clock and really do not pay much attention to my urge for timeliness.” “There seems to exist a never ending series of excuses for showing up late to practice sessions and meetings, if at all....”

“I need to start to enjoy that kind of quality of life, too ... later in life,” he joked.” He indicated there has been a clash with the casual approach to discipline and the level of intensity and team thinking

At least this guy much more diplomatic than WIM in his assessment of our culture  ..   i remembered when wim  said we does drink and   lime under the coconut tree on the beach people flip
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:05:32 PM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »
He should be our Head coach...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 02:56:03 PM »

Well if he is made men's coach I will assure you he will get all the resources when he asked for it. I will assure you if he asked to go South America and play Ven, Col, Ecuador or Peru, he will not hear " the gov't ain't supporting the football". He will get the money. If that was Latas, it would be a different story. "look boy, play Greneda, play SVG, or play Guy." No disrespect to this countries.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »

Well if he is made men's coach I will assure you he will get all the resources when he asked for it. I will assure you if he asked to go South America and play Ven, Col, Ecuador or Peru, he will not hear " the gov't ain't supporting the football". He will get the money. If that was Latas, it would be a different story. "look boy, play Greneda, play SVG, or play Guy." No disrespect to this countries.

as per usual!!!!! All he did was state the same thing Wim said in a more diplomatic manner.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:31:17 AM »
After a foreign COP Local v Foreign is a MUTE POINT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
After a foreign COP Local v Foreign is a MUTE MOOT POINT

Fixed it for yah  ;)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
After a foreign COP Local v Foreign is a MUTE MOOT POINT

Fixed it for yah  ;)

THANKS EH
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>