May 17, 2024, 06:19:40 PM

Author Topic: Who is the fastest footballer in the Premier League - Ronaldo, Lennon or Jones?  (Read 7546 times)

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Who is the fastest footballer in the Premier League - Ronaldo, Lennon or AJ? Find out here
Everyone knows that Cristiano Ronaldo is rapid and that Andrew Johnson's pretty fly for a white guy, but just who is the the fastest footballer in the Premier League?

No it's not pixie pacemen Aaron Lennon or Shaun Writh-Phillips - amazingly both of them are slower than Sunderland's big man, Kenwyne Jones, who is fourth fastest.
Less surprisingly the Premier League's speed king is Manchester United's Ronaldo, who has been clocked racing to the ball at 20.9mph and run with the ball - obviously, not dribble, but more of a kick and chase - 0.1mph faster.

The sprint parade top 10, commissioned by Nike and put together by Opta Sportsdata, is as follows (the first figure is to the ball, the second with it):

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd): 20.9mph -- 20.8mph
2. Andrew Johnson (Everton): 20.6 -- 20.7
3. Fernando Torres (Liverpool): 20.5 -- 20.6
4. Kenwyne Jones (Sunderland): 20.7 -- 20.2
5. Ashley Young (Aston Villa): 20.4 -- 20.3
6. Aaron Lennon (Tottenham): 20.6 -- 19.6
7. Cameron Jerome (Birmingham): 20.3 -- 20.1
8. Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea): 18.9 -- 21.2
9. Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth): 20.4 -- 19.2
10. David Bentley (Blackburn): 20.0 -- 19.8

Nike will have you believe that Ronaldo can beat a sports car in a race, see for yourself below, but South African rugby sensation Bryan Habana running a cheetah close proves just who is the fastest man down the touchline.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=514146&in_page_id=1779

I looking out for that Nike KJ boots soon ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 04:57:00 PM by triniairman »

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

THAT IS AMAZING. I AM SUPRISED THEO WALCOTT NOT THERE IN THAT LIST.

INTERSTING ENOUGH I KNOW HE IS NOT A PREMIER LEAGUE PLAYER BUT I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE HOW CORNELL GLEN FARE IN RELATION TO THOSE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Ah wonder wha Stern stats would be like?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Cornell is faster than KJ ....Josh Johnson is also pretty fast

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com

THAT IS AMAZING. I AM SUPRISED THEO WALCOTT NOT THERE IN THAT LIST.

INTERSTING ENOUGH I KNOW HE IS NOT A PREMIER LEAGUE PLAYER BUT I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO SEE HOW CORNELL GLEN FARE IN RELATION TO THOSE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wooooaah stoldier. I totally agree.

but ease off the crack.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline THETRUFF

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
great post triniairman...i am a little surprised by these results...i guess the shorter/smaller guys appear to be moving faster compared to say kenwyne jones...who takes longer..gliding strides...great info though...i would really love to know cornel glen stats on this one....this guys has so much ability...dam i hope he gets a break to make it big soon...

truetrini

I remember when Larry Gomes ws de fstest West Indian player.  The man used to look slow, but he had speed and ued to lick up all de odder cricketers in 100 meters and 200 meters

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
yea Cornell Glen will lick dem up

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
KJ being faster than Shawn Wright Phillips is definately a shocker to me...
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
KJ being faster than Shawn Wright Phillips is definately a shocker to me...

Time it takes to cover a specified distance will always determine speed. 

Is not how fast yuh LOOK.  Is how fast yuh REACH dey.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
How come Theo Walcott not there ?

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg

Dais why ah put dah ting on top ah de riddum rack fuh yuh ,so dat when yuh climbing down after de last warm up, yuh bong tuh geh take  ::)
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
used to be Shaka

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I remember when Larry Gomes ws de fstest West Indian player.  The man used to look slow, but he had speed and ued to lick up all de odder cricketers in 100 meters and 200 meters

Shit, I remember when my father told me that same ting in the 80's and ah laugh at him so hard that he buss meh ass for calling him crazy.
Now ah find out that he was telling the truth too.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
KJ is like Plaxico Burress and Randy Moss in the NFL.  They are tall and lengthy but use the long stride with quickness for an advantage

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Obafemi Martins have to be faster than at least half that list ... and Torres' speed impressed me as average at most.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile

Dais why ah put dah ting on top ah de riddum rack fuh yuh ,so dat when yuh climbing down after de last warm up, yuh bong tuh geh take  ::)

Dat bad eh?  Ok bro... ;D

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
We definitely need Ato Boldon to give us his opinion...

To me this is a fair chart, swiftness and quick reflexes does not translate into generating speed.... but in all seriousness ah go back Cornell on this one if he was EPL...A younger Giggs could take them also...

I still think the Premiership record is held by Mr Henry for fastest to the ball...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Obafemi Martins have to be faster than at least half that list ... and Torres' speed impressed me as average at most.

Torres actually looks slow, but I I find de man real fast boy Grande. Good example is the goal he score against Sunderland. He just blows by defenders and he looks like he not real generating no set a speed. He doh look fast until you see the the flaliling defenders in his wake.

I surprised men like Patrice Evra and Ashley Cole eh faster than Bentley

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation

Torres actually looks slow, but I I find de man real fast boy Grande. Good example is the goal he score against Sunderland. He just blows by defenders and he looks like he not real generating no set a speed. He doh look fast until you see the the flaliling defenders in his wake.

I surprised men like Patrice Evra and Ashley Cole eh faster than Bentley
tha is true..is almost it does look like is a 'lazy' type of speed..he real deceptive and makes it look effortless.
what bout Owen, Bellamy, Dyer and Agbhonlahor?
btw was those numbers after a 10 yard accelaration test or over like say 30 metres?
that could make a difference too
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline rick titus

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
I don't think they tested all the prem players because there are a lot faster than some in this group like Theo Walcott. Adebayor is also has very deceptive speed. Shaun Wright Philips is really quick, I saw him in a game against Crystal Palace when he was with Man City, and the boy was lightning! Kenwyn Jones has really deceptive pace as well, he doesn't look as fast as he really is going, but damn he's fast!

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Also, we have to bear in mind, one speed is to the ball and the other is with the ball. Some of the guys lose a bit of pace (obviously) with the ball.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
When both Walcott and Kenwyne were in Southampton...Walcott used to beat him.

They even have a article where kenwyne saying he was the 2nd fastest at the club but had the highest jump.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
this list is surprising.. but i guess there it shows the difference between quickness and speed...

I wouldve thought Martin Petrov wouldve made the top 10.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
i taking that list with a grain a salt.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
this list is surprising.. but i guess there it shows the difference between quickness and speed...

I wouldve thought Martin Petrov wouldve made the top 10.

Took the words out of my mouth.

I think in most scenarios on the field an attacking player can get away with a lack of speed, if he is quick- case in point - Deco- probably the slowest player at that level, but his first step, and his burst over a 5-10 yard space is probably right up there with the best.

Also seen Saviola get toasted over longer distances, but at the same time leave defenders flat footed over short distances...

P.S. Petrov doesn't seem to have the legs that he did when he played in Germany. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I wonder how many of the premiership ballers they actually tested. And did they check any defenders? I remember Nyron Nosworthy saying he was the fastest at Sunderland. Mind you that was before Kenwyne showed up. But he was supposedly faster than Carlos.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My question is over what distance?

it makes a big difference if this is measured over 10 yards or 40 yards.

over a short distance people with a long stide may have an advantage.

As this is not a race we can never be really sure who is the fastest.

What is needed is a race.

A 50 yard sprint with no ball and a 50 yard sprint 25 yards in each direction with the ball to foot.

Let those who feel they fast enter.

Put it on PPV andthe players and league can make some money.

1 million first prize.

hopefully KJ can win

I definely think he can beat AJ in a 50 yard sprint.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
i feel based on the criteria used to judge speed, Kaka woulda leave out everybody on this list..

I remember going to the game between brazil and argentina at the emirates.. and watch kaka pick up that ball by his 18 and carry messi for a run all the way to the argentina 18 then score..

he deceptively fast and dont look it when he running..

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
My question is over what distance?

it makes a big difference if this is measured over 10 yards or 40 yards.

over a short distance people with a long stide may have an advantage.

Yuh post compound tata dey KND

1]; } ?>