May 18, 2024, 12:52:11 AM

Author Topic: 2015 Women's World Cup - Canada  (Read 31598 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Women's World Cup - Canada
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2015, 06:32:09 AM »
Canada dream continues with tight Swiss win
FIFA.com

Round of 16, Game 5

A lone Josee Belanger goal soon after half-time was enough for host nation Canada to continue their 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup™ odyssey at the expense of Switzerland.

There was plenty of endeavour from both teams for the big Vancouver crowd but there was only limited creativity to threaten the goal amid a high-energy contest.

Ramona Bachmann was typically lively throughout the contest and the Sweden-based forward had a near post shot pushed out early on.

Canada’s best chance of the half was inadvertently created as Belanger’s cross struck the far post with the ricochet bouncing off goalkeeper Gaelle Thalmann and away to safety.

Canada grabbed the all-important opener just after the break in what was always likely to be a match of small margins. Belanger was on the end of a Canada move sweeping the ball home from near the penalty spot with a tidy first-time finish, having profited from Christine Sinclair’s assist.

Switzerland’s Ana Maria Crnogorcevic headed over the bar in a rare sight of Erin McLeod’s goal. Canada provided plenty of headaches for Thalmann with delivery from wide areas and Caroline Abbe was forced to clear Belanger’s shot off the line during one such moment.

McLeod had a rare but crucial save to make with 12 minutes remaining bravely smothering to deny Vanessa Bernauer from close range after Bachmann was again the instigator.

Canada are now into next Saturday’s quarter-final in Vancouver and await the winner of England-Norway.

Match Highlights

John Herdman, Canada coach
We knew it would be close and had to keep them at bay. As hosts we’re obviously under a lot of pressure. [Josee] Belanger was fantastic in the second half. I’m proud of my team and what we’ve achieved; they’re warriors who know what needs to be done and give it everything they’ve got. The fans were unbelievable again; it was just surreal. We now have a moment to relax before we start gearing up for the next challenge.

Martina Voss-Tecklenburg, Switzerland coach

It was an extremely intense match between equals, where neither team gave the other an inch. Congratulations to Canada on reaching the next round. We haven’t fallen short; in fact, we’ve met our expectations. We wanted to reach the Round of 16 and we did that, and we’ve entertained people during the tournament. That will help us to progress further. I’m sorry for my players; it hurts to see the disappointment in their faces. While we might all be disappointed, this World Cup has been a fantastic experience for us. We’ve now got to let it all sink in. We’ll be able to take our next steps once we’ve had a moment to look back over it all.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2015, 06:57:55 AM »
After Brazil lost, it was notable that none of the players went over to the keeper, Luciana, to console her. Thought that was indicative of team dynamics. It wasn't until later that the back-up keepers were seen empathizing with her.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »
Reverse passes in the '18' killing South Korea. Excellent goal x ditto. 3-0.

Yeah, I was at that game. As ah sit down and check de clock, goal score. When de second goal score ah say to mihself like dis go be a long day for Korea. France was dominant and dey centre backs Renard and Georges was solid. Studying to take de afternoon off and go back for the Germany - France game on Friday.

Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »

Yeah, I was at that game. As ah sit down and check de clock, goal score. When de second goal score ah say to mihself like dis go be a long day for Korea. France was dominant and dey centre backs Renard and Georges was solid. Studying to take de afternoon off and go back for the Germany - France game on Friday.

Germany-France promises to be a battle.

Do you think there will be a good turnout? I've been surprised by the numbers seen in attendance at games not featuring the US or Canada. They don't seem to be much in excess of what was seen at the U20 women's tourney last year.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »
This Canada - Switzerland game is just wildness, one setta hard running, hard kicking, and hard tackling.

True...but I'll give Switzerland the advantage. Canada has been pretty disappointing all tournament; I expected a bit more from them, especially since they're at home.

Canada's game has generally been a hard tackling one. I remember a few years back a Canadian sports reporter referring to the team as a group of linebackers. My impression of the team currently is that they lack creativity going forward and other than Sinclair pose no real threat, so they try to bottle you up and squeeze out a goal.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »

Germany-France promises to be a battle.

Do you think there will be a good turnout? I've been surprised by the numbers seen in attendance at games not featuring the US or Canada. They don't seem to be much in excess of what was seen at the U20 women's tourney last year.

I honestly couldn't tell you. But I wouldn't hold out much hope. I was thinking that things might improve for the knockout stages but the reality is Montreal (at least) is a fickle crowd, but also at this time of year there's a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar. (F1 Grand Prix was a couple of weeks ago, JazzFest and Fireworks festivals about to start, Comedy Festival either started or about to). Another thing.

They scheduled the tournament before the end of the school year, so getting kids to the earlier (4pm) weekday matches might be tough and the later matches 7pm is kinda hard on a school night especially during the group stages. School finishes this week (tomorrow for my son's schoolboard), so Friday's turnout may improve. Plus there's a lot of (non-Quebec) French visitors in the city right now. It seemed like, 10,000 of the 15,000 at the game yesterday were French.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2015, 04:38:52 PM »
Good battle in progress between Norway and England. 2-1 England after trailing. Norway was looking sharp for a while, but have since reduced their influence on the game. What can Pellerud's charges deliver from the tank with 7' left in regulation?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2015, 07:08:18 PM »
red card on Colombian keeper - then Wambach misses the PK - match on

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
All in all, Colombia contributed to that game having the drama and excitement one wants at a WC. You could tell why they are better than most other CONMEBOL teams. But they made some fundamental errors. However, after the glaring handball on which they qualified for the Round of 16, they probably get the outcome they deserve. The better team moves on.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
England comeback sinks former champs
FIFA.com

Round of 16, Game 6

An impressive winner from Lucy Bronze helped England record one of their finest FIFA Women’s World Cup™ victories as 1995 champions Norway saw their ambitions ended despite briefly taking the lead.

There were few highlights in the opening half as the teams toiled under a hot sun in Ottawa. Nearly all the limited sights of goal were earned by Norway. Isabell Herlovsen seemed momentarily through only for goalkeeper Karen Bardsley to race out and smother.

Kristine Minde hit the side-netting from an acute angle, while Ada Hegerberg perhaps had the best chance after bustling her way onto a wayward backpass but she could only blaze straight at Bardsley with her angled shot.

Norway scored the opening goal nine minutes after the break as Solveig Gulbrandsen found the net. The No8 executed a perfect near-post header from a corner that bounced in off the underside of the crossbar for her second goal of the tournament.

However England were level just seven minutes later as captain Steph Houghton came to the rescue once again in a major tournament. And again it was a corner that brought about the goal after Houghton rose between two defenders at the back-post back and directed a header back across goal and into the net off the fame of the goal.

Suddenly England came to life. Substitutes Jill Scott and Jodie Taylor added extra impetus in attack and the pair neatly swapped passes before setting up Bronze who crashed home an impressive shot from 25 metres which tore past Ingrid Hjelmseth into the roof of the net for a worthy winner.

Karen Carney then had Hjelmseth at full stretch with a snap shot as England threatened to grab a sealer but there was to be no more scoring leaving the Three Lionesses to face hosts Canada in the last-eight.

Match Highlights

Even Pellerud, Norway coach

We seemed to be the stronger team for a long while, and we should've finished the match in the first half, but we didn't. After England tied, we stressed for no reason, the play on the ball was not as precise and decisive as in the first half. Compliments to my English colleague who made some good tactical changes at half-time. This is a hard way to lose, it's very disappointing for all of us.

Mark Sampson, England coach

The first emotion I'm feeling is a sense of pride for the team. To show that kind of resilience, to come back from a goal down, the players have been immense with their character to come back in that game. The names of these players, this team, will go down in English football history - but make no mistake, this journey is not over. Based on our second half performance, we deserved to win that match. We're going to enjoy today because it is a big win for our country, and then it'll be back to business and we're determined to keep this journey going.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:29 PM »
USA survive tough Colombia test to progress
FIFA.com

Round of 16, Game 7

USA are into the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ quarter-finals but only after surviving a tough encounter from Colombia in an action-packed 2-0 win in Edmonton.

In the end the outcome was expected but perhaps the closeness of the contest was more surprising for many, with Colombia attacking their opponents whenever possible and only falling behind following the dismissal of goalkeeper Catalina Perez early in the second half.

Abby Wambach missed the ensuing penalty before second-half strikes delivered by Alex Morgan and then Carli Lloyd from the penalty spot put the Americans in control. It was, however, a costly win for the Stars and Stripes with key midfielders Megan Rapinoe and Lauren Holiday set to miss the upcoming contest against China PR after collecting yellow cards.

Wambach thought she had the opening goal inside the opening minutes but she was correctly ruled offside after putting away a goalkeeper rebound from an otherwise impressive stop by Perez on her Women’s World Cup debut. Wambach tested Perez who did well to block a well-hit volley, before further openings for Julie Johnston, who blazed over the crossbar, and a corner bundled into the side-netting by a posse of USA attackers.

Perez was again forced to display quick reflexes to tip Morgan’s downward header over the crossbar, but Colombia created several half-openings of their own even if USA keeper Hope Solo was rarely tested.

The real action came immediately after the break with Perez sent off for fouling Morgan who was through on goal. However, Wambach spurned an opportunity to join Marta as the Women’s World Cup’s leading goalscoring by pushing the spot-kick wide. The dismissal meant third-keeper Stefany Castano came on with first-choice Sandra Sepulveda already suspended.

The breakthrough finally came eight minutes after the break when Morgan received a pass in the penalty area and drilled her shot inside the near post from an acute angle through the hands of the fresh goalkeeper.

Thirteen minutes later USA doubled their lead through Lloyd’s successful penalty after Rapinoe was brought down by Angelo Clavijo as she burst into the penalty area/

Jill Ellis, USA coach

We knew we would have a challenging game because Colombia are a very good opponent. I thought we controlled most of the ball and I had faith that at some point we would breakthough and we are happy to advance. I thought we stroked the ball around pretty well at times. Many of the goals in World Cup football come from set-plays and that is the way it is. I know that the players that come in [for suspended players] will be confident of stepping in and doing well. I have upmost confidence in the players we have.

Fabian Taborda, Colombia coach

They played with an iron-will from the beginning to the end of this match, and at times the best team in the world didn’t look that good because of the way we performed. Not having our goalkeeper and being a player down of course had an impact in the second half. I think it is pleasing that everyone in the world can see how much Colombia women’s football has improved. Perhaps if the goalkeeper was not sent off the scoreline would have been different. These players have developed greatly throughout the past four years. The future is set to shine for us.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 08:56:04 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2015, 08:59:31 PM »
Japan has come dangerously close to a second goal via a couple headers. I hope the Dutch can live with themselves with the Japanese taking these aerial opportunities. They seem to not want to capitalize on being one of the tallest nations, whereas the Japanese are on the other end of the height index. Why defend exclusively zonally? It shouldn't be this easy for the defending champs.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2015, 09:08:52 PM »
Japan has come dangerously close to a second goal via a couple headers. I hope the Dutch can live with themselves with the Japanese taking these aerial opportunities. They seem to not want to capitalize on being one of the tallest nations, whereas the Japanese are on the other end of the height index. Why defend exclusively zonally? It shouldn't be this easy for the defending champs.

Uncanny, pin point aerial passing by the Japanese... more than lax defending by the Dutch.  The header off the bar to set up the first goal was sublime.  Keeper stranded and lost in admiration.

EDIT:  Wait 'til folks see the second Japanese goal.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:35:01 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2015, 09:49:50 PM »
Japan keeper was bored or what?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »

Look like she took her eye off the ball at the last minute.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2015, 06:41:41 AM »

Look like she took her eye off the ball at the last minute.

One of the replays showed what seemed to be an awkward spinning deviation off the surface. Would like to see it again. She definitely lost track of it, but with the luxury of time on her side, could laugh it off. On the other hand, she might not be in goal for the next match.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2015, 06:46:45 AM »
Japan: liked what I saw ... they showed the most diversity and improvisation in attack, less structured than Germany, but definitely more multi-faceted than France and the US.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2015, 06:51:17 AM »
Speaking of diversity: hard to ignore the diverse composition of so many of the other teams and the lack thereof on the US squad. This also struck me about Costa Rica's squad.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2015, 08:27:36 AM »
World champs ease past Netherlands into quarter-finals
FIFA.com

FIFA Women’s World Cup™ holders Japan are into the quarter-finals after goals in each half were enough for a 2-1 win over Netherlands in Vancouver setting up the Nadeshiko for a match-up against Australia.

Japan controlled the contest and possession from the first minute with the Dutch struggling for ideas at times against an organised defence. Netherlands did have an early salvo from Sherida Spitse, which flew over the bar from 20 metres.

But it was Japan who took the lead on just ten minutes following a Yuki Ogimi header onto the bar, with Saori Ariyoshi scoring with a flat shot from inside the box. Shinobu Ohno and Aya Sameshima interchanged passes but the latter’s shot went over the crossbar, and Japan ended the half in the ascendency as Ohno headed narrowly wide of the target.

It seemed to be a similar tale after the break as Netherlands’ Mandy Van den Berg almost inadvertently turned home an own goal following Nahomi Kawasumi’s cross soon after the break.

Gilt-edged openings remained at a premium until Netherlands twice saw the ball cleared off the line as firstly Japan defender Sameshima was saved by a superb block by her own goalkeeper Ayumi Kaihori who made a superb reflex block, with Kirsten Van Den Ven unable to fire through a sea of legs.

It proved a costly miss as Japan doubled their lead within a minute as Mizuho Sakaguchi sweetly fired a shot home from the edge of the penalty area to put a fine flourish on a classily-worked move.

Van Den Ven pulled a consolation goal back during injury time with a header that Kaihori somehow let through her grasp.

Match Highlights

Norio Sasaki, Japan coach

There were some close moments in the match. We tried to finish every attack with a shot, and that was perhaps the key to our win. We were consistently able to shift play from one side to the other and covered a lot of ground. We controlled the game by playing out from a strong defence. The Netherlands pushed forward quickly, and we’ve got great respect for that. Australia are technically strong. We’ve never lost to them since I’ve been coach, but they have immense potential nonetheless.

Roger Reijners, Netherlands coach

We started well, but after conceding the first goal our passing lost some of its sharpness and we lost the ball too many times in attack; the final pass didn’t reach its target. We defended well. Things got better in the second half, and it was frustrating that two of our chances were cleared off the line. We tried everything in the closing stages and made some changes, but it wasn’t enough. Losing to a very strong opponent like that is no bad thing. I’m proud of my team and the way they stepped up at such a big tournament, even though we can learn some lessons from today’s match. In general we’ve performed well here at the Women’s World Cup. Our aim was to qualify for the Olympic Games but we didn’t manage it, so naturally we’re disappointed about that too.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2015, 08:50:45 AM »
Teams eliminated from the competition following the Round of 16
Brazil
Cameroon
Colombia
The Netherlands
Norway
South Korea
Sweden
Switzerland

Teams moving on to the quarterfinals
Australia
Canada
China
England
France
Germany
Japan
USA

Quarter-final matches
Olympic Stadium, Montreal
Germany v France ((Friday, 26 June)

Lansdowne Stadium, Ottawa
China v USA (Friday, 26 June)

Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton
Australia v Japan (Saturday, 27 June)

BC Place Stadium, Vancouver
England v Canada (Saturday, 27 June)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 08:55:30 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
france vs germany...lookin fwd to this one.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
france vs germany...lookin fwd to this one.

great match so far, I'm so afraid of Necib

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
what a half

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »
This match is an advertisement for the women's game.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
ET wow

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2015, 03:50:04 PM »
If France wins this game, they win the World Cup
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »

And vice versa - this is the final

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
hmmm 4th official....     reffing has been less than stellar this tournament

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »

And vice versa - this is the final

Not convinced by Germany.  They're resilient tho.....and lucky.  That was a VERY fortuitous penalty call.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
games are won in moments can France create a moment

1]; } ?>