May 13, 2024, 10:50:22 PM

Author Topic: Sydney hopeful over Yorke's arrival  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sydney hopeful over Yorke's arrival
« on: April 04, 2005, 06:52:56 AM »
Australian Associated Press

Sydney FC manager Pierre Littbarski is hopeful main transfer target Dwight Yorke will arrive in Australia on Tuesday to finally begin face to face contract talks.

Sydney has been chasing the out-of-favour Birmingham City striker since February but recent World Cup qualifiers with Trinidad and Tobago forced Yorke to place travel plans on hold.

"I think and have heard he will be coming over this week. He is supposed to come maybe tomorrow and hopefully we can have good discussions," Littbarski told AAP on Monday.

The coach remained cautions about the chances of signing the former Manchester United striker having rated it a 50-50 prospect last month.

Sydney CEO Andy Harper shared Littbarski's cautious optimism after speaking with Yorke's agents.

"At the moment, it's a possibility and we are keen to have face-to-face discussions," said Harper.

"We've been waiting for a few months but our patience isn't exhausted."

Despite starting just four English premier league games this term, Yorke, 33, has several offers from the cash-rich United Arab Emirates and the English First Division boosted by career stats that has brought him over 130 goals in 15 seasons.

Littbarski remains cautious on the prospect of landing Yorke despite his apparent willingness to fly to Sydney this week.

Yorke has stated his admiration of the Sydney lifestyle but Littbarski says money won't be the only item on the agenda.

Littbarski hopes to have an answer before the club leaves for its pre-season tour of Dubai on Thursday and finalise a squad with 19 places filled on his 20-man roster.

Sydney face Al Wahira, Dubai Cultural and Al Jazira Sports between April 11-18 in preparation for their opening World club championship qualifier against Queensland in early May.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney hopeful over Yorke's arrival
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 07:21:40 AM »
You think Yorke will want to play in a lower division in England??? I don't think he will, even if they offer him more money..

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 08:52:13 AM »
If Yorke take that contract in Australia, he will have an extremely long flight to come home for WCQ.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 09:18:26 AM »
If Yorke take that contract in Australia, he will have an extremely long flight to come home for WCQ.

Very insightful comment  ::)

I actually thought Australia was a town in Venezuela  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 09:23:15 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 08:50:45 PM »
I remember Littbarski scorin a wicked volley for W. Germany in 90 Italia. 

If Yorke goes to Sydney he should give up T&T.  That is around 24 hrs of flying.  I tink is more.

El Socorro

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »
Just another spot on the face of this earth for Yorke to B*ll some more white meat.

Allyuh really think its about football for yorke.  De man have money, he has captured all the silverware Europe has to offer.  Now is fun and games (just a different location).

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Big money not main motivator for Yorke
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 04:52:27 PM »
The Age

Dwight Yorke insists Sydney FC's professionalism rather than their money will determine whether or not he becomes the new A-League's biggest star.

The former Manchester United striker arrived in Australia for contract talks on Monday while conceding he is unlikely to make a final decision on his future this week.

The 33-year-old is seeking a move after only four Premier League starts this term at Birmingham City, who are helping the Trinidad and Tobago player in his quest.

Yorke also has offers from several Middle East clubs but says the fact he has flown to Australia proves he is serious about Sydney's offer.

"I'm here to check out the atmosphere of Australia and see what's on offer," said Yorke.

"It's something we've definitely considered and I wouldn't have wasted my time if there wasn't an offer on the table.

"I've been to Sydney so many times and I love the place - there is no secret about that.

"Money is not an issue to me at this stage in my career. It is important but is not the be-all and end-all.

"I'm just looking at the total package and we'll take it from there," commented United's 1999 European Cup winner, who has scored over 130 goals in 15 seasons with Aston Villa, United, Blackburn Rovers and City

Yorke - who cost United STG12.6 million ($A30.94 million) when he joined United from Villa in 1998 - was quick to reject fears he could be more interested in Sydney's lifestyle than its football.

"I'm not here to pick up a pay cheque. I still have a lot of desire to play football. I think they (the Australian public) will be pleasantly surprised to see what I can offer.

"I'll need to listen to other clubs before I decide but I won't mess anyone around and will make a decision in the near future.

"I've looked after myself over the years and people who know me, know I'm in good condition.

"I'm looking for two years (with Sydney)."

Yorke still harbours serious hopes of helping his country reach their first World Cup finals in Germany next year under new Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker.

"We're on the same trail as Australia in that we want to qualify for the World Cup," he said.

"Reaching the World Cup is something that's missing from the mantlepiece and it means a lot to me.

"But if I can continue to do well at international level, I can do well at club level too."

Yorke rejected a move to Scottish champions Celtic before last September's Champions League deadline and moved to Birmingham amid allegations he was holding out for a stronger league.

The unproven A-League will begin its first season in August but Yorke said he was not using Sydney to publicise his availability.

He also admits the lure of working under Sydney FC's German manager Pierre Littbarski is strong.

Littbarski played in three World Cup finals before finally helping his country win the 1990 tournament in Italy.

"I know what he's done as a player and what he's done in the World Cup," said Yorke.

"I have great admiration for such a person who has achieved so much in the game.

"I'm sure if there is anything to come of this, I will look forward to working with him."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 05:48:24 PM »
is yorke still getting paid by birmingham? if so, no wonder hes not concerned about money in sydney
Hart for president

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 08:02:56 PM »
Just another spot on the face of this earth for Yorke to B*ll some more white meat.

Allyuh really think its about football for yorke.  De man have money, he has captured all the silverware Europe has to offer.  Now is fun and games (just a different location).

He can have a lot of that kind of meat right in Tobago, and have fun  in T&T.

Players want to play, most sportsmen don't really want to retire.

1]; } ?>