May 07, 2024, 04:58:55 PM

Author Topic: IMHO Jamaicans on 'juice'  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: IMHO Jamaicans on 'juice'
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mullings fears for life
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/lead-stories/6055-mullings-fears-for-life

Mullings fears for life
Wednesday, 09 November 2011 16:49 By Anthony Foster, anthonyfos@gmail.com

KINGSTON - Jamaican Sprinter Steve Mullings fears for his life as he was not present at the 3rd tribunal hearing today in Kingston, Jamaica.

“The reason I am not in attendance for today’s hearing is due to the fact that I fear my life in Jamaica.” Mullings said in his affidavit to the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel, which includes chairman Lennox Gayle, Dr. Japhet Ford and Peter Prendergast.

“I have been informed that it is not safe for me to spend anytime in Jamaica” his lengthy explanation from his affidavit continued.

Mullings, who earlier in his career suffered his first doping violation and subsequently was barred from competition for a period of two years, was tested positive for a second time at the Jamaica Championships in June. He now faces a life ban from the sport if convicted with the doping infraction.

Mullings' lead attorney Alando Terrelonge said the sprinter, who felt he was set-up, believes he would not be welcomed in Jamaica at this time.

Gayle, who is the Chairman of the JADCO Disciplinary panel confessed he had heard of the affidavit but had never seen the formal paper work.

During the lengthy proceedings, three witnesses were questioned and testified at the Jamaican Conference Centre in Kingston.

Amidst all the drama and emotion, it is said that Mullings remains calm and confident in the case. The hearing continues tomorrow!

Editor's note: Stay connected with the very latest in track & field from Jamaica and the wider Caribbean.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steve Mullings' case suffers another major blow
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 11:11:55 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/lead-stories/6067-mullings-case-suffers-another-blow

Steve Mullings' case suffers another major blow
Thursday, 10 November 2011 19:30 Anthony Foster

KINGSTON, Jamaica. Embattled Jamaican sprinter Steve Mullings suffered another major blow in his fight against a doping ban, at his hearing held at the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown Kingston today.

This is the second major blow for the sprinter, who for the second time since the hearing got underway on August 26 2011, was having a request (this time affidavits provided by himself and his witness Steve Dudley) denied by JADCO's Disciplinary Panel.

In October, his first request to have his B sample re-tested was denied by the panel.

It was repeated that Mullings was not present because he feared for his life. His lawyer then made reference to Steve’s late father who was murdered no more than three months ago, to back up the claim made by his client.

“The reason I am not in attendance for today’s hearing, is due to the fact that I fear for my life in Jamaica.” Mullings said in his affidavit to the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel, which includes chairman Lennox Gayle, Dr. Jephtah Ford and Peter Prendergast.

“I have been informed that it is not safe for me to spend anytime in Jamaica” the lengthy explanation from his affidavit continued.

But according to the prosecuting lawyer, Lackston Robinson, at today’s sitting, “there is nothing in this affidavit that spoke to or mentioned his fear.”

He continued, "the affidavit, the only one that is signed, received by JADCO, does not match the copy which Mullings’ team has presented."

Robinson further pointed out that the Mullings’ camp could not submit any evidence related to the case by affidavit.

However, he was quick to make it clear it is not his decision but one of the panel, so should the panel decide to accept the affidavit, he has no choice but to do so also.

But after hearing both sides and that Robinson had an important meeting to attend with the Commissioner of Police and Attorney General, chairman Lennox Gayle advised that he would be taking five minutes to meet with his panel to rule on whether or not to accept the affidavits of Mullings and his witness Steve Dudley.

On return, Panel Chairman, Lennox Gayle made reference to the length of the trial and the date it began back on August 22nd, and said he found the affidavit where Mullings made references of being afraid for his life somewhat bizarre, because in past meetings in October, most notably on the 19th and 20th, no mention was made by any parties, that Mullings would not be present for any factors whatsoever.

Gayle continued to point out irregularities within the case and mentioned that JADCO was not given sufficient time to review Mullings’ affidavit. The said affidavit was received on Nov 8th, 2011 and Gayle provided the following statement:

“We believe Mr. Mullings had more than enough time to appear in person, as in regards to his fear, nothing had been identified of where this fear came about and when.”

Gayle continued to say “Preparation could have been made to bring evidence by video, phone or other ways involving technology.”

“To allow Mr. Mullings to give a statement by affidavit would be unfair, because JADCO brought witnesses and they would not be able to cross examine Mullings and the serious accusations he made in his affidavit."

The panel has been adjourned for the day and Chairman Gayle told both teams that only submissions would be accepted when they meet again on the 16th at 2pm, but exceptions would be made if Mullings appears in person.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steve Mullings found guilty of doping
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/lead-stories/6120-steve-mullings-found-guilty-of-doping

Steve Mullings found guilty of doping.
Thursday, 17 November 2011 16:36 By Anthony Foster

KINGSTON - Jamaican sprinter Steve Mullings was found guilty by the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel, at the Jamaica Conference Center here, downtown, today.

Disciplinary panel chairman Lennox Gayle said they are satisfied with the evidences given by JADCO witnesses and they agreed all the proper procedures were followed in the case. Mullings' team, they said, failed to prove any breach had occured.

"We have listened to the evidences in the hearing for the past two weeks and we have considered the evidences carefully,"Gayle said.

"It is a unanimous verdict that Mr. Mullings is guilty of having furosemide in both his A and B samples," Gayle told the parties.

He also noted that the evidence given by Dorel Savage, the chaperone, who was in charge of Mullings, was very important in the case.

Mullings tested positive for the masking agent furosemide, at Jamaica's National Senior Championships, in June of this year.

It was disclosed that the lab in Canada detected the masking agent in Mullings' sample taken on the night of June 24th.

He had earlier received two set-backs in the hearing, which opened the case in August, the first was a request by his lawyers to have the World Anti-Doping Agency laboratory in Canada re-test the sample and then last week the panel refused to have his affidavit, in his absence, entered into testimony.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sprinter Steve Mullings guilty!
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20111118/sports/sports1.html

Sprinter Steve Mullings guilty!
Published: Friday | November 18, 2011
Leighton Levy, Gleaner Writer

National sprinter Steve Mullings was yesterday found guilty of committing an anti-doping violation and faces a long ban from the sport.

Sentencing has been postponed pending receipt of a document from the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association outlining the specifics of Mullings' prior violation in June 2004. Sentencing has been set for next Monday at 2 p.m.

"I am not surprised at the ruling today," said Alando Terrelonge, the lawyer representing the athlete. He cited the fact that it was clear once the panel rejected an affidavit that the athlete tried to submit into evidence. He suggested that the matter could be taken to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) Disciplinary Panel, chaired by Lennox Gayle and comprised of Dr Japheth Forde and Peter Prendergast, at the hearing which is being held at the Jamaica Conference Centre in Kingston, unanimously accepted the evidence presented by the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission through its witnesses, Dr Paul Wright, the doping control officer; Dorel Savage, the chaperone who accompanied Mullings while he submitted his urine sample; and Cara Ann Bennett, the results manager of JADCO.

Gayle provided a summary of the evidence presented against Mullings, before beginning an analysis of the evidence presented during the hearing that began November 8 and 9. Afterwards, he announced that "All the evidence presented by JADCO suggests that they (JADCO) followed the prescribed procedures. This panel accepts JADCO's witnesses as credible and there was no breach in the custody or integrity of the sample."

Postponement

Conversely, Gayle said Mullings did not present any evidence that demonstrates any irregularity at the lab that conducted the tests in Canada, therefore, the analysis of the sample is deemed to be correct.

During the hearing last week, the panel rejected attempts by the athlete to have an affidavit of his testimony admitted into evidence. Gayle, in addressing the matter, explained that when the hearing first began on August 20, specific instructions were given as to the deadlines by which the parties were to submit lists of their witnesses as well as other particulars. Mullings was to have submitted his particulars by October 3 as the matter was to resume on October 19 and 20. A further postponement pushed the hearing to November 8 and 9, and Mullings had until October 28 to file his particulars.

Mullings eventually submitted a list of witnesses that included Dr Paul Wright, Paul Scott, who was his representative at the testing of the 'B' sample on August 16, Steve Dudley and the athlete himself.

However, according to Gayle, "At no time did Mullings indicate that he would not be in attendance at the hearing." He said Mullings made it known, once the hearing had commenced last week, that he would not be attending and wanted to tender his evidence by way of affidavit.

"Were the panel to allow the affidavit to be admitted it would become unchallenged (evidence)," Gayle said.

During the period, Gayle said, emails were sent to Mullings urging him to be present at the hearing. He did not respond to the emails, the panel chairman said.

With regard to claims made by Alando Terrelonge that his client was not allowed to give evidence using Skype, Gayle said no formal request was made before the hearing began. He added that when it was made, it was with too short a notice, as the Jamaica Conference Centre was not equipped to accommodate that request, and had sufficient notice been given the proper arrangements would have been made.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Mullings banned for life
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Mullings-banned-for-life

Mullings banned for life
Jamaica Observer
Monday, November 21, 2011

DISGRACED sprinter Steve Mullings has been banned for life from the sport of track and field by the Jamaica Anti Doping Commission.

He was found guilty last Thursday at a disciplinary hearing to probe the circumstances in which he tested positive for the banned substance Furosemide.

1]; } ?>