May 21, 2024, 07:29:09 AM

Author Topic: Who is the world's best wing back?  (Read 13257 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the world's best wing back?
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 05:07:04 PM »
Cyd Gray and Avery John if you talking hardcore. ::)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 05:11:10 PM »
Francisco Marinho

BIG PLAYER DAT!

One of the few good players Brazil had in 74.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 05:22:12 PM »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
Tele Santana developed the prototype for the modern wing back with those two. They weren't the first to overlap, but they were the first who had skills of a midfielder. none of this push and run. Skills, shot and de overlap was attack as the most effective form of defense. It wasn't no overlap now and then.

Disagree that the prototype began with Branco and Josimar.

Tele Santana had Junior and Leandro in 82.

In 78 it had Toninho and Neliñho.  Neliñho score one a de greatest goals in a world cup HERE

In 74 Brazil had Francisco Marinho

In 70 of course dey had de incomparable Carlos Alberto with HIS magnificent strike HERE

All a dem had skills of a midfielder and it wasn't jes push and run.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 06:03:41 PM »
Best combo for me would have to be Maldini and Jorginho ...... Jorginho was actually the best crossing wingback I've seen tho not the best defensive wingback but my my two fav wingbacks play on the same side the left side and that would be Maldini and Stuart "The animal" Pierce!

You jes spoil yuh post wit de Pearce reference.

Is like comparin Zidane and Theobald.   >:(

Lol nah is just different attributes of players I does admire Pierce strike me as the kinda guy that yuh beating him to a frazzle and he cyah move and as long as he could lift a finger he'll come after you ....he remind me of the terminator he absolutely won't give up ....not the best skill but will hit you through a wall and has a  helluva a shot but he doesnt have the kind of technical ability Roberto Carlos and brehme and them have;

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
Tele Santana developed the prototype for the modern wing back with those two. They weren't the first to overlap, but they were the first who had skills of a midfielder. none of this push and run. Skills, shot and de overlap was attack as the most effective form of defense. It wasn't no overlap now and then.

In 78 it had Toninho and Neliñho.  Neliñho score one a de greatest goals in a world cup HERE

In 70 of course dey had de incomparable Carlos Alberto with HIS magnificent strike HERE

Palos I've always said that the goal that nelinho score was the greatest goal I've ever my all time favorite I even put that in front of Diego mashup run

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 06:16:34 PM »
Go way back. Djalma Santos and Nilton Santos

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »

nice post. never see de older men in full 90 minute games. just highlights. i knew Brazil always had wing backs who could attack, and Nelinho goal is sick and everyone has seen Carlos Alberto goal. It is iconic..probably the most famous world cup goal alongide Diego's 2 against England. But for some reason i was under the impression that Branco and Josimar took it to a different level. You see...most of the older teams you mentioned actually had wingers, so the right and left back didn't attack as much (at least that it what I thought). Even in 82, Eder was an old fashioned winger. BUt in 86 the out and out wingers were gone (altho Muller liked to pull wide he was essentially a center forward alongside Careca). I really think 86 was when Branco and Josimar run the whole line themselves with no support from out and out wingers.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 06:41:49 PM »
Palos I've always said that the goal that nelinho score was the greatest goal I've ever my all time favorite I even put that in front of Diego mashup run

I like de Neliñho goal mehself Ngozi.

But my all time favourite world cup goal is THIS

What make it so special for me is how he get himself in position to strike de ball.

Eder was exclusively left footed...even more so than Maradona.  He literally never shot or passed with his right foot.

With this goal, the dummy by Falcao was exquisite....Eder was coming in on the run at full speed.....BUT

That ball was tailor made to be hit with the right foot.  Eder cyah do anyting other than use his right foot for balance so how did he get himself in position?  Notice he chip de ball up to himself, take 3 quick steps....in mid stride...at full pelt...and unleash a perfect left footed volley.

Dasaev..one of the greatest goalies in the game never even saw it.  It just flew past him.  AMAZING!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:46:13 PM by palos »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »

What make it so special for me is how he get himself in position to strike de ball.

Eder was exclusively left footed...even more so than Maradona.  He literally never shot or passed with his right foot.

With this goal, the dummy by Falcao was exquisite....Eder was coming in on the run at full speed.....BUT

That ball was tailor made to be hit with the right foot.  Eder cyah do anyting other than use his right foot for balance so how did he get himself in position?  Notice he chip de ball up to himself, take 3 quick steps....in mid stride...at full pelt...and unleash a perfect left footed volley.

Dasaev..one of the greatest goalies in the game never even saw it.  It just flew past him.  AMAZING!

Easily one of the best goals ever scored.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 06:59:57 PM »

Saddist that goal was real bad he actually hit it with the outside of he foot but he angle it so well it swerve but but followed the straight path to the goal ....I actually remember when Zico scored a goal in that world cup I think it was against Scotland ....Yuh Boy Eder hit a free kick and it nearly break the cross bar ah swear ... and Zico just run in and tap it in......when men who thin like that could hit like that it says alot about their technique

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »

Saddist that goal was real bad he actually hit it with the outside of he foot but he angle it so well it swerve but but followed the straight path to the goal ....I actually remember when Zico scored a goal in that world cup I think it was against Scotland ....Yuh Boy Eder hit a free kick and it nearly break the cross bar ah swear ... and Zico just run in and tap it in......when men who thin like that could hit like that it says alot about their technique

It was against Argentina..which made it dat much sweeter ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npfusAkl8KY&feature=related

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 07:20:22 PM »
lol venomous

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »
Three best goals by wing backs scoring on the run(no free kick) in no particular order. 1. Carlos Aberto-1970. 2. Nelhno -1978. 3. Josimar - 1982.

By the way anybody has a clip of Nelinho's goal?????

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
Three best goals by wing backs scoring on the run(no free kick) in no particular order. 1. Carlos Aberto-1970. 2. Nelhno -1978. 3. Josimar - 1982.

By the way anybody has a clip of Nelinho's goal?????

In 78 it had Toninho and Neliñho.  Neliñho score one a de greatest goals in a world cup HERE

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »

Look the man himself talking about it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkR5Wb2KQs&NR=1

And all the goals from the match here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMe3uoUbhkA&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:59:00 AM by boss »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 07:52:26 AM »
I shocked dat hardly anybody giving Roberto Carlos he pips when we talking about revolutionizing the wing back position.. lol

I would split my wing backs into best offensive and defensive ones because they are like two ways of playing the position within the position:

BEST OFFENSIVE (in no order):

Alves
Maicon
Clichy
Evra
Lahm
Zambrotta
Bosingwa
Capdevila
Salcido

BEST DEFENSIVE (in no order):

Ashley Cole
Heinze
Ramos
Abidal
Sagna
Zanetti
Maicon
Micah Richards

The best two for me right now are the two who make the best combination of offensive and defensive abilities:

Maicon and Evra..

All time from what I've seen I would have to say Maldini (hands down no question) and Cafu.

the romanian fellah petrescu wasn't bad in he day either.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 08:05:57 AM »
I shocked dat hardly anybody giving Roberto Carlos he pips when we talking about revolutionizing the wing back position.. lol

I would split my wing backs into best offensive and defensive ones because they are like two ways of playing the position within the position:

Alves
Maicon
Clichy
Evra
Lahm
Zambrotta
Bosingwa
Capdevila
Salcido

Ashley Cole
Heinze
Ramos
Abidal
Sagna
Zanetti
Maicon
Micah Richards

The best two for me right now are the two who make the best combination of offensive and defensive abilities:

Maicon and Evra..

All time from what I've seen I would have to say Maldini (hands down no question) and Cafu.

Good call on R.Carlos

I would throw Zanetti (and maybe Ramos) up in the offensive portion.

Micah Richards- Good potential- not ready yet to be included in this discussion.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:25:16 AM by kicker »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »

Alves
Maicon
Clichy
Evra
Lahm
Zambrotta
Bosingwa
Capdevila
Salcido

Ashley Cole
Heinze
Ramos
Abidal
Sagna
Zanetti
Maicon
Micah Richards

Maicon and Evra..

Good call on R.Carlos

I would throw Zanetti (and maybe Ramos) up in the offensive portion.

Micah Richards- Good potential- not ready yet to be included in this discussion.

At right back, nobody passing micah richards.. he's ah beast.. but i agree he have some way to go.

Ah next scene...

Essien so good that he could figure in this discussion FILLING IN at right back.. lol

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »

At right back, nobody passing micah richards.. he's ah beast.. but i agree he have some way to go.

Ah next scene...

Essien so good that he could figure in this discussion FILLING IN at right back.. lol

Micah Richards- tremendous athlete- still alot of development needed upstairs.

Essien- total footballer.

C.Ronaldo exposed him a bit in the CL final though...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 09:31:32 AM »

he deserve some pips for being (imo) the most athletic and best attacking of the wing backs in history. but I still stick by my assertion that Branco and Josimar rewrote the books. For all the two-way wing backs Brazil had before that, there were out and out wingers in those squads who still dominated the attacking portion of the wings and the wing backs offered plenty support. Branco and Josimar were not only the wing backs, but the were the out and out wingers themselves. They weren't supporting the true wide men like Rivelinho, Jairzinho, Eder etc. Dem men run de whole line solo.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »

Evra has nothing on Clichy in my opinion.

You shouldn't drink so early in the day...

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
AVERY JOHN AND CYD GREY
  That is my pick too!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »
Apparently no one has watched Bosingwa this season.

Apparently you think davidephraim is "no one"... ;D

David no hard feelings, but I did not read that far when I post.  ;D    :beermug:

Sure, Sure.. Yuh tru feelings coming out.

Palos.. is meh inner feelings get hurt dey yuh know..
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »
Lillian Thuram (first half of his career as a world class wing back) - just a little honorable mention

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2008, 02:34:10 PM »
Bert Grell. Left or right back. Offensive and defensive.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2008, 04:27:46 PM »
Bert Grell. Left or right back. Offensive and defensive.

How much times he play for T&T?

giggsy11

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2008, 04:59:27 PM »
Back in times-Cafu, Irwin, Junior, Paul Brietner, Thurman, Maldini- great defensively and offensively.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Back in times-Cafu, Irwin, Junior, Paul Brietner, Thurman, Maldini- great defensively and offensively.

steupssss

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2008, 05:10:42 PM »

steupssss

LOL.....a man actually have de gall to call Irwin name yes... :rotfl:

Almost as bad as callin Junior name and defensively great in de same sentence.  ;D

1]; } ?>