May 17, 2024, 12:53:21 PM

Poll

Will a Premiership side save Kenwyne when Cardiff get relegated?

Yes
6 (18.8%)
No
26 (81.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones Thread  (Read 250979 times)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwynne Superman Jones
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2008, 12:48:07 AM »
The only thing i have against Chops is he need to learn how to use his left foot, he had 2 good chances that he let miss him because he opted to usehis right instead of his left when it was the better option. Apart from that, I think he made some good runs, even the one where he was called offside when he clearly was not...intelligent player I must say  :beermug:

I think KJ is getting tired, but he had a very good game today.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2008, 01:06:51 AM »
The only thing i have against Chops is he need to learn how to use his left foot, he had 2 good chances that he let miss him because he opted to usehis right instead of his left when it was the better option. Apart from that, I think he made some good runs, even the one where he was called offside when he clearly was not...intelligent player I must say  :beermug:

I think KJ is getting tired, but he had a very good game today.

Big Up!

very good observation about the choosing de right over de left when clearly de lft woul have done de job...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2008, 02:16:58 AM »
it might be me but Chopra as a striker does not impress me in the slightest bit..

to me he just look like a man on the field to run hard with he hunchback self..

that goal he scored today was poor defending imo, cause he did nothing special at all to beat his man..

there was another play where a defender accidentally gifted him the ball and he do some kinda madness and just loft de ball out of play, it really and truly look like a play from the SSFL. I don't even think he links that well with Jones.

I'd hope Sunderland get a striker with genuine quality to be a good foil for Jones, but Chopra as best should be a 4th striker option on the bench imo.

I think your opinion on Chopra is reflective as much of an opinion on Chopra's ability, as it is of the type of player that you (and we Trinis in general) like...From what I've seen this season, Chopra is a very industrious player who can hit the net when he gets the chance. His strike rate might actually be better than Jones' (he's only scored 2 less than Jones, and I ain't the team statistician, but I think Jones has had alot more looks on goal than Chopra)....and the quality of his goals are actually better than Jones' ...so the gap in quality between the two (as strikers) isn't really that big.

Jones is way more of a central figure at Sunderland than Chopra, but Chopra's role in the team this season was significant as well in my opinion, and he showed some versatility being able to fill more than one position. I think if he didn't have the "hunch-back" lol...and he made his job like a little graceful, he might escape your criticism...Just my take based on the type of players that we Trinis enjoy watching....

I might get cuss for this, but I'm still not fully convinced that Jones is a quality "striker". I think he's a tremendous athlete, and a decent utility football player, and striker is just one of the positions where he can hold his own especially in a team that relies on a big man target to aim at up front.... Despite Jones' talismanic role at Sunderland this year, if Keano is trying to inject true quality through big spending this year in the hopes of builing a smooth running football team as opposed to the route one smash & grab that Sunderland played this year, I'm not sure if Jones is gonna be that big player that the team is built around, as he was this season.

kicker I have similar toughts on Kenwyn.

Before anybody gets defensive let me make it clear without Kenwyn I think we would of been dead and buried this season, and no doubt Kenwyn is very happy, because yeaterday would of been a fairly hefty payday for him and the rest of the lads as there will be a decent bonus for survival.

Kenwyn is a natural athelet, he's not a natural forward.  He has great potential but its up to him whether he realises or not.  Sunderland needed Kenwyn this season badly, but ironically Kenwyn's reputation has increased dramatically because sunderland have been playing to his strengths.  Kenwyn may of not looked so good in a better team, beacuse his movement, shooting and composure needs to improve.  If Sunderland attract better players then his style will need to change a bit, getting into positions facing the goal rather than back to goal, brining in other players in open play just not from set pieces.  This is not getting at Kenwyn, its because Sunderland as a team have left him by himself upfront so he has not shown this yet.  Its all about the team who he has around and what needs to change, as a forward he has a lot to learn, but he has great potential.

I would expect a lot of rumours in the summer about Kenwyn, its silly season and the vast majority of them will be rubbish, but I will be amazed if someone didn't put a bid in, whether the club will sell him is a different matter, as we all know everybody has their price.

Chopra is really a poacher, for the most part he has been used in midfield this season, because we haven't had the midfield we need.  He missed a couple of opportunities yesterday but for most of the season he hasn't been able to get into those position.  goals to chances( not shots) I think you will probably find he is the best at the club, so I wouldn't give up on him yet.  Whatever happens both have repaid their transfers fees. 

To get comfortable in the prem the club still needs to buy practically a full team if you take account of injuries and suspensions, defenders and midfield being a high priority

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2008, 06:40:58 AM »
And I get the feeling you trying to pollute this thread with a smart man reverse racism. Who is allyuh? Did you even take your time to read the posts? There are more posts giving Chopra props here than the ones that doh rate him and I could tell yuh it have some black Trinis that give him props right here on this thread. By the way, you must be a millionaire by now with that technology you have that could ascertain a person race in an anonymous forum.

Filho...I like the way you like to use the word pollute...where I am making a general observation. There is nothing wrong with addressing what others would like to say but are sometimes passive about and shrug off. I feel this to be very pertinent ..Is like asking why arent there more players other than MOSTLY of African heritage in the TNT national team and how do we address it and why isnt affirmative action being implemented ?

There is nutten passive about me on dis site. Everybody well know that. I call a spade a spade and will always challenge racism and bias on this site, so doh come wit dis ole talk about you making an observation. There is no hint of racism in this thread. the example you gave is not remotely related to this topic. this is simply a discussion about whether a footballer is good or not.

What you've said is basically no different to if someone had rate Chopra, and I came here and said..oh, allyuh only like de man cuz he is ah half indian. That's pretty much what you did and it sounds foolish and misguided. There are many threads where I shake my head at some of people's comments, and I had to step up and say something. there are indeed posters who seem to assume that all Trinis are black and they could say what they want here about non-blacks. But I deal with that when and where it rise up, not in an innocuous thread where everyone making their points strictly on footballing terms. The stupidity of your so-called observation, is that I can count at least two black posters who not only said Chopra was good, but consider him a better natural forward than KJ. Imagine that...black trinis bigging up a half white/half indian, non-Trini player over a black trini who getting all the hype. Hoss...you need to first go and reevaluate you biased assumptions about black trinis. generalization makes you just like the people yuh have a problem with..only worse, cuz yuh claiming to know better.

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2008, 10:35:40 AM »
Oh FFS fellas! This meant to be a thread bigging up Kenwyne on his performance today, and so by extension bigging up Sunderland on their win today.

Allyuh gone and turn it into another quarrelling session.  ::)
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
I go take some flak today too because I agree with some of the other posters. Chopra is more of a natural striiker than Jones. His movement off the ball found him in space where he had scoring or threatening opportunities. He has as much goals as Jones and he was playing on the wing. His finishing seems to be very good. I know Jones is supposed to hold  up the ball and bring other players into the game but after he does that he seems lost. His movement into spaces leaves something to be desired. Jones also threw away today. Big strikers supposed to convert that or at least force a parry that another team mate has a chance at.  In Jones' defense though he seemed a much better striker when he wasn't playing with his back to the goal.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:32:10 PM by rippin »
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
it might be me but Chopra as a striker does not impress me in the slightest bit..

to me he just look like a man on the field to run hard with he hunchback self..

that goal he scored today was poor defending imo, cause he did nothing special at all to beat his man..

there was another play where a defender accidentally gifted him the ball and he do some kinda madness and just loft de ball out of play, it really and truly look like a play from the SSFL. I don't even think he links that well with Jones.

I'd hope Sunderland get a striker with genuine quality to be a good foil for Jones, but Chopra as best should be a 4th striker option on the bench imo.

I think your opinion on Chopra is reflective as much of an opinion on Chopra's ability, as it is of the type of player that you (and we Trinis in general) like...From what I've seen this season, Chopra is a very industrious player who can hit the net when he gets the chance. His strike rate might actually be better than Jones' (he's only scored 2 less than Jones, and I ain't the team statistician, but I think Jones has had alot more looks on goal than Chopra)....and the quality of his goals are actually better than Jones' ...so the gap in quality between the two (as strikers) isn't really that big.

Jones is way more of a central figure at Sunderland than Chopra, but Chopra's role in the team this season was significant as well in my opinion, and he showed some versatility being able to fill more than one position. I think if he didn't have the "hunch-back" lol...and he made his job like a little graceful, he might escape your criticism...Just my take based on the type of players that we Trinis enjoy watching....

I might get cuss for this, but I'm still not fully convinced that Jones is a quality "striker". I think he's a tremendous athlete, and a decent utility football player, and striker is just one of the positions where he can hold his own especially in a team that relies on a big man target to aim at up front.... Despite Jones' talismanic role at Sunderland this year, if Keano is trying to inject true quality through big spending this year in the hopes of builing a smooth running football team as opposed to the route one smash & grab that Sunderland played this year, I'm not sure if Jones is gonna be that big player that the team is built around, as he was this season.

I agree totally.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2008, 01:27:20 PM »
Kicker and Kev...............two excellent posts.......i agree with you guys totally, especially Kev's post......you saved me the time to type that out!!

ah love it!!

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »
ah fine allyuh blasted bias...fact is chopra was a newcastle understudy....only reason he didnt make it there cause he competing against Shearer...to me ...he givin jones competition and that is what keeping sunderland competitive in d forward line....
I get d feeling if Chopra was ah black man allyuh mighta big him up....but because he is neither black or trini....castigate him....right?

SHIT SHIT AND MORE FACKING SHIT ...CHOPRA IS AH GOAT regardless if he was black,white,chinee,trini,russian,swede,guyanese,brazilian,american,german,
pakistani,egyptian,martian,tobagonian,grenadian,hispanic,dutch..
.....STILL AH FACKING GOAT !!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:23:57 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2008, 07:22:46 PM »
big up to kenwyne
but that game was reaaaaal ugly jed...
with the drama of the late goal and all..it was hard to watch that shit

THANK YOU!!!

ah thought was me alone does be gritting meh teeth wid de kinda tata sunderland does be playing, i much rather see Kenwyne come off de bench for a big club than to watch friggin sunderland wid dis nonsense next year....oh, and i find chopra is ah shitsnake too!!!(even if he scored) So is Ivan Campos 1st and Andy Reid 2nd in the "Big-Boned" stakes?!?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »
the only reason i watch Sunderland is cause we have trinis there....otherwise i gooodddddddd

and Sportsmax love to show some real tata games....bolton-fulham for example

that sunderland game was on par with a intercol game at a point...sad to say

but big up kenwyne...
i not gonna hope he go a big club and only come off the bench though...let him get as much playin time as possible
to go a Liverpool where they had real TALK of him goin, might be both good and bad....
good environment, experience to grow hopefully
but watch Crouch...he VERY underrated in my opinion and only warming bench even before Torres reach
that tough

Hope crouch go a side where he could start consistently once he eh turn into yorke and bullin a setta hoes with his keeper on camera! lol

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
Chopra's runs are much better than Jones, ah hope Jones could improve dat very soon.
KJ if yuh readin this go and find tapes of Crespo, Del Piero and Batistuta, dem men is de absolute tops with off-the-ball running.

Azzurri how yuh stray so far yuh start talkin about how well yuh want Crouch to do?
Yuh musbe mean Jones right.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2008, 01:03:50 AM »
Fyzoman & AZZURRI

You wont get an arguement from me about the quality of the team, I though I had said as much with the above post.  The team is nothing better than a bottom 6 prem team.  I thought the game was entertaining, but the football on show was schoolboy stuff especially the defending.

As I have explained before, the club didn't have a pot to piss in 2 seasons ago and a more limited squad than now and nobody decent wanted to manage or play for the club, not nice but a fact of life.  Strangely enough that was part of the reson KJ ended up iat Sunderland because there was only interest from Derby and ourselves at the price being asked and Derby weren't that keen at the price. 

If Roy Keane stays and that will be down to what the club sees as a future with regard to transfers, I would expect there will be only 1 or 2 players left in the team in 2 years time from what you seen at the weekend.  Depending on who comes I suspect you will see a different style and hence the need for Kenwyn to improve his running off the ball, into the penalty area etc.  If the money is made available Roy Keane will leave, he only has 1 year left on his contract.

I understand you watch a team with trini's and I have no problem with that( there have been many occasions over the years that I wish I didn't have a reason to support them ;), its a big close season for the club and both Carlos & Kenwyn, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:17:25 AM by kev »

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2008, 04:29:18 AM »
After my reply this was published so make of it what you will.  I leave my thoughts until I start the Transfer Rumours Thread at the end of the season.  I have little doubt thak RK will leave if he doesn't feel the club matches his ambition, whether he will be given as much as he wants is a different matter,

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/safc/Keane-Time-to-splash-the.4025393.jp

Keane: Time to splash the cash
[/size][/color]

Roy Keane plans to take Sunderland to a new level – and knows it will cost big money!
The Black Cats boss says squad strengthening is the ongoing priority. And having clinched Premier League survival, Keane is now looking to build, writes Graeme Anderson.

He is deadly serious about wanting to bring in top quality new players and has left no-one in doubt that his ambition for the club does not stop at keeping it in the top flight.He said: "We would like Ł60m or Ł70m to spend now.

"I know it keeps going up every week. It was Ł40m a while ago, then it was Ł50m. No wonder board have gone in to hiding!

"But my job is to make sure we're higher up the table next season. We want to challenge the likes of the teams just above us.

"Maybe we got too carried away last year with our expectations when we got promoted but it has been tough for us.

"We don't know what the future holds but I can't imagine we'll have the same decisions go against us or have the same injuries as we've had this time around. But then, if it does happen then we should have a stronger squad.

"To succeed at this level you need a big squad and we've certainly been short of that. But I've been very lucky. Everything I asked of Niall and the investors has been fulfilled.

"We've had to change our mindset on a lot of things and now, if we want to get to certain top players, then we have to look at our pay structure.

"If you want the very best players they want to know where their 50-60 thousand pounds a week is."

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »
I real glad for Kenwyne, he usually gives a good showing of himself and week in anw week out causes a lot of concen for opposing defenders. That is not to say he doesn't have alot to improve on.

Yes he is usually the lone striker for the Black Cat as such he has to choose his running options wisely. However , sometimes he has a tendency to remove himself from the game. When u are a "danger man" as he clearly is on the Sunderland team , you have to get accustom to "attention" from the opposition and not get frustrated easily. He has great pace, but sometimes he does not use it to his advantage.
 3 things to improve
1st touch, he over pushes alot and its due to his power and pace he can get away with it now
His trapping, sometimes I think he should be able to control the ball instead of flicking it on all the time, its like clockwork....his game is  getting a bit predictable
Some added dribbling skills woul be helpful

Just my two cents.....he is the best player they have and should assert himself just a bit more, but good 1st season thus far.

truetrini

« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2008, 10:00:29 AM »
The fact Mr. Jones did was required of him and much more.  As the Lone Ranger up front, Tonto occasionally showed up and assisted.  He had his back to the goal a whole lot becasue he had no choice, he was a target man and had to look for the bal with his back to the goal myriad of times.

He can run at the goal and at defenders as was illustrated time and time again this season.  He is an athelete in a game that calls for athelitism.  He will do much better with a better mid field and with more acomplished players around him.

In the lower divisions he did exactly what he is criticized as not being good at doing now.  He can hold up the ball, he can take on defenders, he is an excellent arieal threat, has great pace and strength, and has the ability to strike the ball with either foot.  Best of all, he can score goals.

this season would have done much for his confidence and I expect him to fulfill the promise even more next year.

I remind all those who balked at his 6 mil move from Southampton with a " Kenwynne Who?" comment

He is Mr. Jones.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones Thread
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2008, 09:00:10 PM »
Anyone know how badly KJ's injury was?  I real hope that it was nothing serious and that he would be ready for WCQ against Bermuda

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: KJ status???
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »
Anyone know how badly KJ's injury was?  I real hope that it was nothing serious and that he would be ready for WCQ against Bermuda

Not ah chance!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2008, 09:43:02 PM »
Say a pray Dr. just cool lawd
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »
if we need KJ to beat friggin Bermuda we really screwed
let him rest nah

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2008, 09:52:48 PM »
i heard he torn a ligament in his knee
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »
Well brudder what d coach say bout 1+1 in futbol
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2008, 10:07:14 PM »
David James not supposed to get red carded fuh dat foul on KJ?

Really hoping for a complete 100% recovery on this one. Keep strong Kenwyne

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
That real hard boy. I just hope the man could be fit next season. Any time I see strap knee I does get frighten.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
D man eh get a card and after dat d joker wit d whistle give England d free kick

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
And to think ah man cuss me fuh saying KJ shouldn't play lest he risk further injury...

so now someone's supposed to explain the benefits of defeating england to you?  He's got a minor injury, chances are he wont sustain further damage taking part in the match. If he does and misses our first wcq match against a clearly inferior team, we'll still have more than enough quality to replace him.

Chances are you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.  Where did you get your medical degree from? How do you know that the chances are slim that he won't sustaing further damage...did you pull your head out your ass long enough to gaze into Ms. Cleo's crystal ball to derive that conclusion? 

Your position is foolish, plain and simple.  No matter how overmatched the following week's opponent might be on paper no one can say what the risk of injury would be.  Compared to the potential impact on the qualifying campaign if KJ is subsequently lost for multiple games the argument simply put, is a non-starter.

chances are youre a dumb literal f**k.. no one is saying play him if there is a big risk of further injury. Hes got the off season, its a minor wrist injury. so what if he broke a nail? you go be saying the same damn thing? dont risk his injury...you know what, youre right, beating england isnt worth it. nothing good can come from that....clown.

I guess now he have de whole off season to rehab not only his wrist...but his knee as well.

Get better soon KJ.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:48:42 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2008, 12:29:50 AM »
didnt see replays on tv yet...but from what it looked like, it was a clash of knees (i could be wrong)

and, he limped all the way across the stadium, and back onto the field when the game was over, so he could hav put some weight on it...so it may just be a bruised knee

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2008, 12:46:10 AM »
didnt see replays on tv yet...but from what it looked like, it was a clash of knees (i could be wrong)

and, he limped all the way across the stadium, and back onto the field when the game was over, so he could hav put some weight on it...so it may just be a bruised knee
bredder ah hope yuh RIGHT.                                             positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2008, 02:37:24 AM »
On this Sunderland forum they say that it has been confirmed as ligament damage:

http://www.safc-world.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4207
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2008, 05:03:47 AM »
The BBC said it was "ligament damage"

To be honest, it was a 50/50 challenge. KJ in my opinion kinda stretch for it, leaving his leg explosed. Most other strikers would have pull out there, esp. in a friendly, but credit to his determination to score.

if James came just as hard, it was always going to end in injury for someone.

What I found VERY unprofessional, was how when he came off, Babwah allowed him try to walk around on his injured knee! I know KJ wanted to get back on the field real bad, but it's the job of the medical team to properly assess an injury to avoid further damage

Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

1]; } ?>