May 06, 2024, 04:18:05 AM

Author Topic: Hackett's LSU forfeit title over drug test  (Read 2039 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hackett's LSU forfeit title over drug test
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »

Hackett's LSU forfeit title over drug test

By Kern De Freitas kern.defreitas@trinidadexpress.com

A cloud is again hanging over Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Semoy Hackett after her school, Louisiana State University (LSU) had to vacate their 2012 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championship title due to the sprinter's positive drug test.

LSU reported on their website on Friday that the team have forfeited their title, because NCAA rules state that "any team that competes with an ineligible athlete is required to forfeit participation in the championship of its respective sport".

The substance, the stimulant Methylhexaneamine that is commonly found in over-the-counter nutritional supplements, is the same one that saw her banned for six months from September 16 last year to March 19 2012 after a positive test at last year's National Track and Field Championships on August 13.

"I've been informed I tested positive for a banned stimulant at the NCAA Championships last year, which has resulted in the LSU team vacating the NCAA Championship," Hackett was quoted as saying by the LSU website. "I want to express my apologies to my coaches, my teammates, LSU and our fans. Although this was unintentional, I'm deeply sorry this will have such a negative impact on my team and LSU."

Asked yesterday about the matter, National Association of Athletics Administrations (NAAA) president, Ephraim Serrette told the Sunday Express that the Association is still trying to clarify the details surrounding Hackett's positive test.

"We just emailed the school," Serrette stated. "We have no information as yet (to go on)."

Serrette said the NAAA will issue a statement once they have full details on the matter.

The issue left LSU's head track and field coach, Dennis Shaver "disappointed".

"It's unfortunate the team will be required to vacate the NCAA Championship due to the actions of one individual, but we will certainly comply with the NCAA's instructions in this matter," Shaver said. "We support the policies that the NCAA has set to promote fair competition.

"This is disappointing news for the LSU Track and Field programme, but our hard work and pursuit of excellence will continue on and off the track."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hackett's LSU forfeit title over drug test
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
why Semoy? Is a good thing they DNF in the Olimpics.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
Well shit!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
How do you test positive for the same thing only a few months after serving a ban for using it the year before?? :cursing:

Ms.Hackett is not too smart, but damn lucky. This 'positive' was caught by the NCAA, which as far as I know is not signatory to WADA, so this would not count against her previous ban from 2011 which was caught by the NAAA( A signatory to WADA), or else she would have been DONE!!!

A little run down for those who don't know, the stimulant Methylhexaneamine is only tested for by the NCAA at their national championships and the IAAF/WADA allow you to use it "out-of-competition". So with all this leniency where this drug is concerned, it really boggles me how she could get caught TWICE!
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
Man....disappointed

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 02:42:55 PM »
This is very disappointing! She is grinding a promising career into the dust.  Be smart and work hard, Semoy!  No shortcuts!  That is what provides true self satisfaction.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 02:23:04 PM »
So peeps in Tobago sayin it have more in the mortar than in d pestle.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:05:01 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/index.php/news/latest-stories/7932-t-t-federation-wants-answers-from-lsu-on-hackett-case

T&T federation wants answers from LSU on Hackett case
Created on Friday, 23 November 2012 15:23 | Written by Clayton Clarke | Print | Email

PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad & Tobago - The National Associations of Athletic Administrations (NAAA) has written to Louisiana State University (LSU) on the Semoy Hackett's doping controversy. NAAA Third Vice President Durly Lucas, said president Ephraim Serrette wrote seeking clarification.   

>

Speaking on the Tobago Channel Five, Rise and Shine Morning Show on Friday, Lucas said the NAAA wants to get more clarity on an article published on the LSU website on Friday 16 November, stating that Hackett had tested positive for the NCAA banned stimulant Methylexaneamine.

"We are not any wiser on what the report (on the LSU website) meant. The story said the athlete tested positive in a 2012 outdoor competition, but the second part reported that she tested positive in the 2011 championships (in June).

The only person who could clarify this at this point in time is LSU, whom the president of the NAAA has written to seeking some clarifications".

Lucas added, if Hackett had tested positive in June of 2011, the International Association of Athletic Federation (IAAF) was not informed by the LSU.
"(Hackett) was banned from August 2011 to (March) 2012. It means there are discrepancies in the report. It means that if she tested in June 2011, the IAAF was not notified. We have no information through the federation so LSU will have to explain that."

Lucas further added that the association (NAAA) was not attempting to cover up the issue by its apparent silence, but was protecting the rights of the athlete.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

1]; } ?>