May 04, 2024, 03:14:28 AM

Author Topic: Kelly-Ann Baptiste established a new national record  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kelly-Ann Baptiste established a new national record
« on: May 28, 2006, 03:12:21 PM »
Louisiana State University (LSU) sophomore Kelly-Ann Baptiste established a new national record in the women's 200 metres event, at the NCAA Division 1 Mideast Region Outdoor Track and Field Championships, in Tennessee, yesterday.

The Trinidad and Tobago sprinter bolted to victory in the half-lap final in 22.73 seconds. And in the 100m dash, 19-year-old Baptiste bagged bronze in 11.36.

Josanne Lucas clocked 13.18 seconds to capture the women's 100m hurdles title. Lucas also competed in the 400m hurdles, the Auburn University senior snapping up silver in 55.73.

Missouri State University junior Kareem Samuel clocked a personal best 51.83 seconds for seventh spot in the men's 400m hurdles final. University of Michigan junior Stann Waithe was eighth in the men's 400m championship race in 47.13 seconds, 42-hundredths of a second slower than his qualifying round run of 46.71. And Richard Thompson finished 14th overall in the men's 100m preliminaries. The LSU sophomore got to the line in a wind-assisted 10.34 seconds.

At the NCAA Division 2 Championships, in Kansas, Bowie State University junior Ricci Alleyne finished fifth in the women's 400m hurdles final in 1:00.79, 37-hundredths of a second slower than the 1:00.42 she produced in the preliminary round. Lincoln University senior Nikita McCree clocked 59.97 seconds in the preliminaries, but opted to sit out the championship race.

In the men's 110m hurdles preliminaries, Slippery Rock University junior Shayne Cooper copped 13th spot overall in a wind-assisted 14.46 seconds, while University of Findlay senior Sanchaze Ross was 16th in 16.31. And Wheeling Jesuit University sophomore Daniel Greaves clocked 53.10 seconds to finish 15th in the men's 400m hurdles preliminaries.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly-Ann Baptiste established a new national record
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 03:19:46 PM »
her team mate brooklyn morris ran 23.05 for second place . kelly-ann should go faster witih more competition. I set a PB 22.60 this year in the 200 and 10.99 in the 100 (YES I WANT HER TO GO UNDER 11SECONDS) we need wanda back  aslo
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:46:11 PM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 04:58:31 AM »
her team mate brooklyn morris ran 23.05 for second place . kelly-ann should go faster witih more competition. I set a PB 22.60 this year in the 200 and 10.99 in the 100 (YES I WANT HER TO GO UNDER 11SECONDS) we neet wanda back
Er, give her some time, steups

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 08:42:47 PM »
The way things are going these days any pressure on an athlete to make quick improvements could be dangerous.
kelly for me is the best news in womens track competition for a long time. I saw her smoke fana some time back and it was hard to believe she was the same unpolished newcommer of a previous year.
she is a diamond in the rough I say and I wish her well.
The best julie is the one you pick when full and wait for it to ripe !

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 10:40:14 PM »
She will be the first Trini female pro on the circuit.  I was sold at the 2005 Carifta Games in Tobago.  Almost no one on earth does the drive phase as well.  Male or female.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 07:08:47 AM »
I dint know what wrong with fana Ashby she won bronze at the world juniors. The NCAA indoor 100 meter champ in 2005 . but since she got that ankle  injury she eh recover at all. All these girls like alica tyson Anya hutchinson use to dominate the sprints no where to be seen now. what eva happen to the girl who used to run around  kelly ann time  Hutson Wanda SHE IN THE DOG HOUSE now it seems  she came 4 th in the 100 at the 2004 world juniors. Another one gone to wasted.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »
I kno i wana kno wat hapen 2 Fana she had gr8 potential but kelly is guna tek ova at least we will hav 1 world class girl sprinter. But if de whole troop Fana, Ayanna, Wanda, Alicia, Monique Cabral and Kelly train wid de rite people we cud b better dan Jamiaca and compete wid de world 4 major medals.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »
any news on kelly Ann baptiste anyone ?

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 12:52:55 AM »
She's back at work/class at LSU, getting ready for indoors.  This will be her breakout year I assume, based on her progression.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
She's back at work/class at LSU, getting ready for indoors.  This will be her breakout year I assume, based on her progression.

thanks Ato and maybe you can say why you think kelly ann will do well this year. Could you also explain the drive phase comment you made earlier ?

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 03:42:36 PM »
Drive phase is a running pattern of pushing out with the head down and the trunk at an angle (like if you were pushing a heavy object) to overcome the initial inertia, then slowly rising to full height for the rest of the race. Most females do it incorrectly, popping their heads up after 5-10 steps or having their body angles wrong. 
 Kelly-Ann is the best I have seen at it, and has been for about 2 years, of any female.....as she gets naturally stonger and fitter, she can't miss - since her technique is so good.  I would bet my house she will be the first Trini female under 11 seconds for 100m, maybe as early as this year.  Her 200m has improved markedly at LSU as well, which you need to be a consistent 100m runner. 

LSU is a great collegiate program, I just think they run their athletes too much over the 4 years and as a result their alum have very few post-collegiate pro careers, which is a big concern for me where our girl is concerned...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »
Drive phase is a running pattern of pushing out with the head down and the trunk at an angle (like if you were pushing a heavy object) to overcome the initial inertia, then slowly rising to full height for the rest of the race. Most females do it incorrectly, popping their heads up after 5-10 steps or having their body angles wrong. 
 Kelly-Ann is the best I have seen at it, and has been for about 2 years, of any female.....as she gets naturally stonger and fitter, she can't miss - since her technique is so good.  I would bet my house she will be the first Trini female under 11 seconds for 100m, maybe as early as this year.  Her 200m has improved markedly at LSU as well, which you need to be a consistent 100m runner. 

LSU is a great collegiate program, I just think they run their athletes too much over the 4 years and as a result their alum have very few post-collegiate pro careers, which is a big concern for me where our girl is concerned...

Thanks bro

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 11:31:46 AM »
This is an aside ...but it seems that if yuh surname  start with B in Trinidad you is boss...Bolden, Burns, Brown, Brathwithe, Baptiste, ...whew !

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 02:02:38 PM »
....George Bovell, (Cleopatra) Borel-Brown, Brian Lara lol  :rotfl:
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 10:22:24 AM »

should kellyann take part in the worlds championship  next year? she should run under 11 next season...

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 07:45:02 PM »
....George Bovell, (Cleopatra) Borel-Brown, Brian Lara lol  :rotfl:

basdeo... :devil:

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »
She should be a finalist for sure, and if she is not too burnt out by the prior collegiate season she should be in the medals if she is still under 11 flat.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Jo Pile

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 02:09:48 PM »
Yea she is doing fine, i spoke to her this weekend she says she feels good. I have joked around a few times aksing her if she going to drop that 10.9 but all she did was laugh it offf lol..
University of Alabama Roll Tide Roll.

1]; } ?>