May 11, 2024, 02:34:08 PM

Author Topic: Return of the Razor (fightnews.com)  (Read 1735 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Return of the Razor (fightnews.com)
« on: May 11, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/razor-ruddock-returns-at-age-48-115009#more-115009

Razor Ruddock returning at age 48

In the late 80’s and early 90’s he was one of the the most feared heavyweights on the planet. Now, at age 48 and more than a decade removed from his last fight, Donovan “Razor” Ruddock (38-5-1, 29 KOs) is ready to reclaim the Canadian Heavyweight crown that he never lost in the ring, and ultimately earn the world title shot that was denied him some twenty years ago.

This Saturday night at Mississauga’s Hershey’s Centre, Ruddock will make his comeback official, and give the crowd a sneak peek at one of the most startling athletic transformations in recent memory. A spectacularly chiselled Ruddock says he’s is ready to breathe new life back into the heavyweight scene. “I’ve never been in this shape in my life,” the 211 lb. Ruddock beamed. “I always got by on my ability, and trained as hard as I knew how back in the day. But now I know so much more. Not just about boxing, but myself as well.”

Be warned, the 2012 version of Donovan Ruddock isn’t venturing on a stereotypical boxing comeback. Unlike other boxers who step back in to the ring, Ruddock was never pounded into retirement in the first place. After suffering his final defeat – a controversial TKO loss to Tommy Morrison in June of 1995 – a much heavier “Razor” returned from a three year hiatus to go on a 10-0 rampage that included 9 KO’s, before a shoulder injury forced him to hang up the gloves in 2001.

“At this weight I feel even faster, stronger and more lethal than when I had ringside doctors running all over the place,” Ruddock said.

Ruddock is hoping that a busy summer – consisting of at least three fights – will culminate in a clash with reigning Canadian Heavyweight champion Neven Pajkic.

“First thing, I want my Canadian Heavyweight title back.”

“I really respect Neven. He’s a warrior who carries the title with class and pride. But, sadly for him, he’s wearing the belt that I want.”

“Then when Neven is healing up, hopefully he’ll take some comfort in the fact that I’ll be putting Tyson Fury, Chris Arreola, Derrick Chisora, David Haye, Bermane Stiverne, Seth Mitchell, and Tomasz Adamek, on the exact same pudding diet too.”

“And after I feast on the appetizers, I’ll dive in for two helpings of Chicken Kiev,” Ruddock, an avowed vegan, said of facing the current heavyweight kingpins, Ukrainians Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko.

“The older brother (WBC Heavyweight champ Vitali) avoided me 11 years ago, and now he has to pay. And the younger one (WBA, IBF, WBO Heavyweight champ Wladimir) just bores me. I’ll have to knock him out too.”

May 10th, 2012
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Razor (fightnews.com)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:27:16 AM »
vb, thanks for posting. wonder if he still have de smash?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
Heavyweight boxing really gone troo oui...all kinda haunted houses feel dey is new condo
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
he want the ukrainian boys....hahaha....he cyar beat none ah them
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Razor: I'm not human
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 05:07:41 AM »

Razor Ruddock, 48, mounts a boxing comeback
Published On Fri May 11 2012Email Print (5)

Donovan (Razor) Ruddock hasn't fought since 2001, but he's set to make an announcement this weekend about his comeback plans. He's also fighting a court battle with a former business associate over a garbage compactor called The Boxer, which Ruddock was promoting above, in 2006.

RON BULL/TORONTO STAR
Neil Davidson
The Canadian Press

At 48, there’s still some fight left in Donovan (Razor) Ruddock.

The former Canadian heavyweight champion, who went 19 rounds in two fights with Mike Tyson more than two decades ago, wants to return to the ring.

Ruddock says he made the decision after training in Jamaica.

“I got in such shape that I realized I wasn’t in shape when I was fighting Tyson and all those guys,” he told The Canadian Press. “Now I’m in shape. . . . I’m in the best shape of my life. I’m stronger, I’m faster.

“We can rebuild him, gentlemen,” he added with a laugh.

Ruddock has to find an opponent and get licensed by an athletic commission. But his spirit is more than willing.

“I’m looking for a fight like yesterday,” said Ruddock, a vegan who weighs a trim 215 pounds.

Ruddock (38-5-1) last fought in October 2001 when he stopped Egerton Marcus in the 10th round to claim the vacant Canadian heavyweight title.

“I didn’t lose it. I just left it,” he said of the championship.

Ruddock plans to officially announce his comeback Saturday in an appearance at a fight card in suburban Mississauga at the Hershey Centre.

Logan (Cotton) McGuinness (16-0-1) of Orangeville, Ont., defends his NABA super-featherweight title against American Meacher Major (20-4-1) in the main event.

Ruddock said his career was derailed by a shoulder muscle injury, which affected his jab. He had already signed to fight Marcus so he went ahead with the bout.

“And then I decided if I can’t protect myself with my left hand, then I’m going to give the game a walk. And I did give it a walk. But by training in Jamaica the last four years, I’ve rehabbed the left hand. It is as dangerous as it’s ever been.”

Ruddock, who divides his time between Toronto and Jamaica, is also fighting a court battle in Canada with a former business associate over a garbage compactor called The Boxer.

He says millions are at stake in the courtroom.

As for boxing, Ruddock says he has unfinished business in the ring. He fought an array of former or future champions like Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Michael Dokes, Mike Weaver, James Smith and Greg Page but never got a shot at the title.

“I’m not doing this for money, I’m doing this because I want to do it.”

But he is realistic.

“If I go in there and I lose one fight, by any means, then I realize I’m off, I’m wrong and I’m going to give it a walk. This is a dangerous sport and I’m putting 100 per cent into it.”

He hopes to get a few fights under his belt before taking on Canadian champion Neven Pajkic. After that, he has his eye on world domination.

“I’m very disappointed in the state of the heavyweight division right now,” said Ruddock, who wants to become the oldest heavyweight champion.

“These guys don’t have the panache, the style, the punching power.”

Ruddock says he has no regrets about his fighting career, noting he only lost five times — two of those were to Tyson (both in 1991) and one to Lewis (1992).

He says he wasn’t ready for Lewis, but he was swayed by a “good sum of money.” The first Tyson fight was stopped prematurely, he believes. In the rematch, he had his jaw broken,.

“I look back at all of these fights to see where I went wrong, and I really didn’t do too many things wrong,” he said. “But I realize now I could do much better.”

The only other men to beat him were David Jaco in 1985 and Tommy Morrison in 1995.

As for his age, he says the number doesn’t apply to him. Although his explanation why is somewhat fuzzy.

“That 48 is for humans. That is for people living as a human. I’m a spirit, OK? I’m living as a spiritual person where I use the spirit to train the body.”

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:10:18 AM »
He actually fought Lewis for vacant title.

He wasn't ready for Lewis?? He had five years of experience over LL who had only been fighting for three years. Maybe he meant in fighting shape.

VB

1]; } ?>