May 20, 2024, 09:23:53 AM

Author Topic: Jake Thomson  (Read 20237 times)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Re: Jake Thomson
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »
he cyar be worse than Smith, telesford, joyce, Aklie, wolfe, spann, power, hislop, pacheco, williams or cupid.
At least half of that list would look like stars too playing aganst some teenagers.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »
he cyar be worse than Smith, telesford, joyce, Aklie, wolfe, spann, power, hislop, pacheco, williams or cupid.
At least half of that list would look like stars too playing aganst some teenagers.

Really?  I beg to differ..... Just because men are teenagers doh mean they cyar play....  Patto went straight from the U20 WC to Milan starting 11 partner....I wouldn't necessarily make assumptions....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »

Really?  I beg to differ..... Just because men are teenagers doh mean they cyar play....  Patto went straight from the U20 WC to Milan starting 11 partner....I wouldn't necessarily make assumptions....
My assumption was in response to another assumption.

And the "_______________ can't be any worse than _______________" assumption is usually one that's consistently proven wrong.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »

And the "_______________ can't be any worse than _______________" assumption is usually one that's consistently proven wrong.
Point well taken.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »
This fella along with Hyland and some extent Gay is playing at a higher level than any of our other players in our current U20 squad and that was highly evident the way he played in yesterday's game. Yes I know it's only ONE game but the qualities he demonstrated in terms of composure, decision making, delivery, etc. should give him a chance on our senior squad. I know we have at least 2 more games to go in the U20 WC and he can have a bad game or even two but the amount of players who have gotten a chance on our senior team that has never given a display the way Jake did in that one game at a national level, so why not give him the chance as well? Especially when we have nothing to lose for WCQ.....are going to wait until he's 25?

BTW he's was on a list this summer as one of the top youth footballers in England and in my opinion that alone should give him a shot!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 12:56:47 PM »

Well my memory needs refreshing...2-3 examples will help.

But lemme hit you this FACT.

Jake Thompson playing at a higher level than any of our other wingbacks...so given that he younger than most, exposed and playing at a higher level than most, and given our position in the HEX...what is the reason for not allowing him the opportunity to get a sweat or audition for a wingback spot when other with less pedigree get opportunites to showcase that they ent ready.

Alyuh vex people like the player, alyuh vex he is a reserve player and yet looking the best on the field...or alyuh vex is only one game and yuh need to see him whip in a few more balls...what it is?

The man can help T&T and he can help the senior team to boot...his age is a plus and we need defenders.

Call him for the Costa Rica match and we go see how he fares...the bar ent set too high.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »
Oh gosh man Touches, you too?? After one game, at U-20 level??

Look, I agree the boy had a very good game and has a lot of potential, but let's be real here. Playing ONE good game against U-20's is a whole lot different than playing in a full international WCQ. Especially against Costa Rica in San Jose. I am all for blooding the youths, but lewwe at least make sure he consistently looks a cut above at the U-20 level before we christen him the second coming.

Not to join the chorus... but you don't think one game is sufficient to tell you about a player's ability to read the development of a play?  Or about the quality of his touch... or ability to cross the ball accurately and with consistency?

I didn't see the game so these questions are more hypothetical than an actual assessment of his game... but based on the opinions of a couple posters here who I respect, the consensus is that based on these criteria he had a great debut in our national colors.  I would think that these are qualities innate to the player and not dependent on the quality of opposition he lines up against.

Maybe so, but having not seen the game, how do we know he would have the same results given less time to make his decisions, under greater pressure, against more physically imposing opposition? I not saying he can't make the jump, but we should at least look and see if he keeps up this level of play against Italy and Paraguay before we rush to judgement. Also, going by an earlier post (I think it was Cool Beans who said it), based on reports from Southampton fans, his crossing performance tonight was more an aberration than the norm. All the more reason to observe him some more in the upcoming games to see if he consistently displays such a high level of play.

Brownsugar, Abu Bakr's situation was different to Thomson's. For starters, he was in the national setup before. Also, we didn't have much of a choice at the time as K. Thomas was injured, and D. Lawrence was unavailable (cah remember why). And on top of all that, many of us here were questioning the move, even after the game.

Look, I not saying he can't be a part of the Senior team squad, or he not good enough, or anything like that. I jus sayin one good game at a lower level of competition doesn't necessarily mean he is ready. Let's just make sure this is his everyday output.....and we have at least 2 more games in this tournament to see whether or not that is the case.

And just throwing this out there (even though i know ppl doh wanna hear this), do we even know that he wants to commit his future to T&T at this stage of his career? Cuz he young, born and raised in England, and never even set foot in T&T. I mean I hope he is commited to the T&T cause full time, but that might not be where his head is at right now. Just something to think about...
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 01:04:07 PM »
No they won't.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 01:16:53 PM »
Maybe so, but having not seen the game, how do we know he would have the same results given less time to make his decisions, under greater pressure, against more physically imposing opposition? I not saying he can't make the jump, but we should at least look and see if he keeps up this level of play against Italy and Paraguay before we rush to judgement. Also, going by an earlier post (I think it was Cool Beans who said it), based on reports from Southampton fans, his crossing performance tonight was more an aberration than the norm. All the more reason to observe him some more in the upcoming games to see if he consistently displays such a high level of play.

And just throwing this out there (even though i know ppl doh wanna hear this), do we even know that he wants to commit his future to T&T at this stage of his career? Cuz he young, born and raised in England, and never even set foot in T&T. I mean I hope he is commited to the T&T cause full time, but that might not be where his head is at right now. Just something to think about...

Very good points, ones that I'm not sure I have all the answers to, but Egypt wasn't exactly a walk in the park yesterday from what I can tell... they had us under pressure the whole game, no?  Would bigger, stronger, faster players have exerted even more pressure?  Most likely... but what we know of the men who we currently have in the senior squad is that for the most part they've been exposed and found wanting.  I understand that he must earn his place... but nobody we have right now in the back... excepting 28 year old Jlloyd, should be considered a legacy player... one who is absolutely untouchable.  I'm not sure that we'll lose anything by putting young Mr. Thomson into the pool early and have him earn his way into the starting XI.

Your other point is also a good one... and echos what Observer said in his opening post "keep him interested".  We very well could still lose him... who knows?  But unless our performances improve such that he can see himself going places with this youth team then losing him is exactly what will happen.  Putting him with the senior squad might not accomplish anything by way of ensuring his continuing fealty to our colors.  But how can it hurt?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »

None of that list would look like a star at the U-20WC....  
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
Oh gosh man Touches, you too?? After one game, at U-20 level??

Look, I agree the boy had a very good game and has a lot of potential, but let's be real here. Playing ONE good game against U-20's is a whole lot different than playing in a full international WCQ. Especially against Costa Rica in San Jose. I am all for blooding the youths, but lewwe at least make sure he consistently looks a cut above at the U-20 level before we christen him the second coming.

Not to join the chorus... but you don't think one game is sufficient to tell you about a player's ability to read the development of a play?  Or about the quality of his touch... or ability to cross the ball accurately and with consistency?

I didn't see the game so these questions are more hypothetical than an actual assessment of his game... but based on the opinions of a couple posters here who I respect, the consensus is that based on these criteria he had a great debut in our national colors.  I would think that these are qualities innate to the player and not dependent on the quality of opposition he lines up against.

Brownsugar, Abu Bakr's situation was different to Thomson's. For starters, he was in the national setup before. Also, we didn't have much of a choice at the time as K. Thomas was injured, and D. Lawrence was unavailable (cah remember why). And on top of all that, many of us here were questioning the move, even after the game.

Look, I not saying he can't be a part of the Senior team squad, or he not good enough, or anything like that. I jus sayin one good game at a lower level of competition doesn't necessarily mean he is ready. Let's just make sure this is his everyday output.....and we have at least 2 more games in this tournament to see whether or not that is the case.

T-Kev, Some fellas say he could start for the Nat'l senior team- it's probably more of an over-excited way of saying that he had a great game, and is showed good potential....maybe even a level of technique that most of our seniors don't display.  I doubt anyone here really put any real serious thought into how he'd look at the senior level, against senior opposition in the region or who he would replace.  These were all statements made in the heat of hte moment, and I doubt anyone would put their head on a block for him based on one game...we just giving de youth some props....

I think we're analyzing it too much. 

That said I agree with Observer & BNS -i.e. Keep him interested, and let's keep good tabs on him.  The more players we have in our pool at that level, the better. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:28:57 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2009, 01:42:48 PM »
BnS & kicker I think we more or less on the same page here.....I definitely not against him being in the senior team pool, I agree he deserve the props for his performance yesterday and that he could potentially be a huge asset in the run to 2014. I just kinda thought the calls for him to be immediately inserted into the Senior starting lineup were ridiculously premature  :beermug:
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
'Half' is an exaggeration.

But, even though KJ and Stern are gone, I still follow Southampton a bit (and post on their boards at times). I know bout this youth. At this point, he's no real improvement over Spann. He had a good game yesterday. But he still has mostly not-so-good games against older opponents.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16838

I find him so frustrating, when he plays for the Ressies ... he has had some absolute blinders on the right wing.
He has left some players standing with his pace - I have seen him beat 2 or 3 players get to the dead ball line and cross really well.

When he gets in the first team he looks like a rabbit stuck in the headlights of an oncoming 40footer......nowhere near the same player.

He just cant seem to make the transition to the next level yet.

And that's League One. We talking bout CONCACAF. He cyah step up yet from reserves to first team, but he stepping up from U-20 to handle Mexico?

He's one for the future (if he sticks with us) but let's not get carried away on emotion, because he look good at a lower level.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2009, 02:52:39 PM »
He was fantastic!! Embarrassing our locals looked well below his level.
Hart for president

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »
'Half' is an exaggeration.

But, even though KJ and Stern are gone, I still follow Southampton a bit (and post on their boards at times). I know bout this youth. At this point, he's no real improvement over Spann. He had a good game yesterday. But he still has mostly not-so-good games against older opponents.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=16838

I find him so frustrating, when he plays for the Ressies ... he has had some absolute blinders on the right wing.
He has left some players standing with his pace - I have seen him beat 2 or 3 players get to the dead ball line and cross really well.

When he gets in the first team he looks like a rabbit stuck in the headlights of an oncoming 40footer......nowhere near the same player.

He just cant seem to make the transition to the next level yet.

And that's League One. We talking bout CONCACAF. He cyah step up yet from reserves to first team, but he stepping up from U-20 to handle Mexico?

He's one for the future (if he sticks with us) but let's not get carried away on emotion, because he look good at a lower level.
I not anointing him savior eh but of all people you compare him to, is Spann you choose?  Spann looked very good under Beenie but since then he hasn't done enough to earn praises nor comparisons.  I want to see Thompson some more but he showed an aggressive mentality when taking on defenders which is something only Carlos and Tinto seem to consistently display. 

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 08:24:07 PM »
Cap him as much as we cant before England change they mind .

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
couple more seasons and he in de prem.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 05:10:21 AM »
So now that we've seen him in 2 Senior Men's international games, what is the general consensus now?   
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 06:02:28 AM »
A work in progress , I believe ?. Hopefully with some International friendlies and I am not speaking about Guyana, he will be ready for the big dance. It seems that Yorke also wants to coach the senior team.
 Well let us see what Pappa Jack has to say.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »

He struggle in some situations but considering the step up and his age he will more than manage.

I was looking at his body language and wondering how that beating in Costa Rica affect him....didn't seem too enthusiastic at the Mexico game either but didn't affect his game I don't think.

So now that we've seen him in 2 Senior Men's international games, what is the general consensus now?   

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2009, 09:19:24 AM »
Just goes to show that big man football is a different game to yute football.
A star in yute is more often than not very normal in big man thing.

All this shite talk about sending the U-20 to play senior games, lord, imagine what CR would have done.
We can't even play with the CR U-20 team.

But the side of the argument is that at present, Jake Thomson seems a better option than Silvio Spann, simply because he has more composure and a better football head.
Spann is a bit inconsistent, with great technique at times, but horrible decision making and positional play plenty times. He also struggles a bit for pace.
So in my books, Thomson should be developed for that position. rememebr he is not a right back naturally, just like Carlos.
In the CR game, he was burnt quite a bit, but remember the whole of CONCACAF knows that CR left side is absolutely awesome, they have by far the best left side in the region. That was why latapy dropped carlos to RB for the game in tobago. he even spoke about it before the game from scouting reports.

With jake on the right and Jloyd on the left we have 2 very good wingbacks.
We still search for a left midfielder. But Tonto and carlos interchanging could work for now.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
One on one with Jake Thomson
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dB4CA3v5qqU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dB4CA3v5qqU</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: One on one with Jake Thomson
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »
I like his reaction at the end of the interview  :)

He's going back to England to train with a Div. One Club.

Nobody want to say the name. C'mon Shawn you coulda ask the man.

having sadi that, these interviews are much appreciated.  :beermug:

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
This yute have it down pat....We should be arrogant....We are the best....

I think he said he was going to one of the teams he was on lone too....

All the best......

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »
I like his reaction at the end of the interview  :)

He's going back to England to train with a Div. One Club.

Nobody want to say the name. C'mon Shawn you coulda ask the man.

having sadi that, these interviews are much appreciated.  :beermug:

VB

think he said it tho...."Bournemouth"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 07:25:42 PM »
Big up to Jake !!!!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
Balanced intelligent answers. . .thanks guys much appreciated
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2011, 07:02:11 AM »
Shawn!! Big up wit these interviews!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jake Thomson: Salisbury sign Trinidad & Tobago international
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:34 PM »
Jake Thomson: Salisbury sign Trinidad & Tobago international
BBC Sport

Former Newport County midfielder Jake Thomson has signed for Salisbury City.

The 24-year-old, who was released by the Welsh club in the summer, will link up with the Whites once the club receive international clearance.

Trinidad & Tobago international Thomson started his career with Southampton and has also had spells with Exeter, Kettering and Forest Green.

He joined Newport in June 2012 and made 25 appearances last season, including three while on loan at Lincoln.

Salisbury secured promotion to the Conference Premier last term, but have lost all three games on their return to non-league's top flight.

Speaking after their 3-2 defeat by Alfreton on Saturday, manager Mikey Harris told BBC Wiltshire: "I'm raging inside but there's only one way we can put it right and that's through hard work.

"We'll get back to the training ground this week and they will be working very, very hard. I can assure you of that because I am absolutely fuming.

"There's only so much time you can go and play good stuff, and not get results. That's three games in now and something has to change."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
i wonder if jake will figure into the set up, i can see Harty taking another look at him in a session

1]; } ?>