May 14, 2024, 09:11:46 AM

Author Topic: Was there ever ballers that smoked & drink liquor,but never lost there step?  (Read 7249 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I just wondering,if you guys knew of any footballer that smoked besides latas on an international and club level.................

Offline paddy

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
socrates -- brazil

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
I wasn't around in those days but I understand George Best used to real drink even during the season.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gascoigne used to smoke i believe.

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
johan cruyff used to smoke alot

Offline dutchman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Johan Cruijff used to smoke till 3-4 am in the room before the final WC match in 1974!
Keeping his room mate really happy.
Rijkaard still smokes, but I think not a lot
Well many players in the 70 & 80 ies used to smoke but nowedays I think not so many.
I don't know if Romario drinked a lot but he sure did go out a lot. ( always in the disco's)
Then again he just aways stayed in the penalty area and never took an extra step.
I never saw a player that made so many goals walk so little as him.

Gascoigne used to not only smoke, he was a big drinker
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 02:58:12 PM by dutchman »
Rumor has it that every other thing you read or hear is just a rumor.

Offline WARRIORKING

• Deep into weaponry
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
i know men smoking a bamboo spliff and then  kicking ball so that is small thing once u always working at staying fit smoking and drinking  shouldn't affect u although it could but everybody different.
My lyrical tendency`s equivalent to a critical felony
Precise behind bars like a criminal`s penalty
Pinnacle definitely, hold so much jewels in my miracle memory
It`s like I`m a physical treasury
I was born with a difficult destiny, not your typical mentally
Givin my vision through treacheries

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maradonna and Caniggia did coke 

Caniggia had the lightning speed of a crackhead as proof of his habits.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Edmundo too, I believe
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Best and Gascoigne take the cake

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
garincha drink like fire, cruyff, rjkaard, socrates, breitner all  smoke like hell

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I just wondering,if you guys knew of any footballer that smoked besides latas on an international and club level.................

DWARIKA
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

MickeyRat

Shit.  Real stars getting called out.

Ah hear Latas does smoke Broadway King Size.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Tony Adams, Paul Merson, Paul McGrath, Teddy Sheringham..most Britsh footballers in the 80's to early 90's used to drink and party a lot
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maradonna and Caniggia did coke 

Caniggia had the lightning speed of a crackhead as proof of his habits.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

DWARIKA
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
I will never forget a night I was in Trinidad(missed my flight back to 'bago) gone Naries in Barataria(I think) who I could bounce up is Dwarika and a crew...celcbrating he B/Day
Gone back 'bago the next day and watching sports news is Dwarika playing for the national team earlier the same day...home boy play real TaTa

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

edmundo is a reall party man. flying from italy to brazil for carnival,,,

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shit.  Real stars getting called out.

Ah hear Latas does smoke Broadway King Size.

That's the nastiest cigarette ever.....................

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net

Marvin Fosten and Brian Williams were heavy drinkers and smokers while they played for Trinidad and Tobago. These two players use to leave camp and light up they spliff and hit the bar.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Smoking and drinking footballers are very common in Europe and South America. Until recently, England was notorious for drinking footballers. Guys routinely getting caught driving drunk..Tony Adams is an alcoholic. I swear I have seen Milan players taking a drag in the tunnel before a game (maybe calms the nerves). Carlos Alberto Parreira in a recent interview said he knew m any of the players drank and smoked......it was in the same article about players being able to have sex during the WC. Check the link below...he says sex is good....the problem is when they drink, smoke and don't get enough sleep. He would not bring it up if some of the players in past squads would be smoking and drinking when they shouldn't

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblwc2006brasexoffbeat&prov=afp&type=lgns

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
john terry used to drink heavy

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The message i'm getting here from these posts i'm reading is that because these top Coaches/Players found it alright to Smoke,Drink,Sex etc etc and were very successfull at what they did,may be it's a pattern that should be adopted by young players,remember these guys are role models,young players idolize them,a lot of us think that's funny but i don't care who they are it's not a good example to follow.How good will it be to stand in front a group of young players and tell them Latapy smokes,Dwarika drinks and it does not affect them,what will we expect.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
romario

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The message i'm getting here from these posts i'm reading is that because these top Coaches/Players found it alright to Smoke,Drink,Sex etc etc and were very successfull at what they did,may be it's a pattern that should be adopted by young players,remember these guys are role models,young players idolize them,a lot of us think that's funny but i don't care who they are it's not a good example to follow.How good will it be to stand in front a group of young players and tell them Latapy smokes,Dwarika drinks and it does not affect them,what will we expect.

That's always a contentious argument. How much role model status should these players assume upon themselves. Personally, I don't think that these players owe it to society to be role models in aspects of life off the field. Of course the more exemplary their behavior the better, but these guys are human beings. They came through life with their own struggles and their own problems. Footballing talent doesn't necessarily translate into exemplary citizenship. Many int'l football players come from humble beginnings where role models were few, and the examples set were probably not the best. People need to realize that every individual has a responsibilty onto him/herself & no matter what Latapy or Cruyff etc did, people know what is wrong, right, good, bad, healthy or unhealthy. If parents, teachers, gov't officials, the media, community leaders etc...all did their part, there would be no need for overlap of responsibility.

In my opinion, good sportsmanship & good work ethic (yes a very grey area)....are the only things that a footballer owes to his/her followers. Anything else is a bonus.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 08:13:24 AM by kicker »

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That's always a contentious argument. How much role model status should these players assume upon themselves. Personally, I don't think that these players owe it to society to be role models in aspects of life off the field. Of course the more exemplary their behavior the better, but these guys are human beings. They came through life with their own struggles and their own problems. Footballing talent doesn't necessarily translate into exemplary citizenship. Many int'l football players come from humble beginnings where role models were few, and the examples set were probably not the best. People need to realize that every individual has a responsibilty onto him/herself & no matter what Latapy or Cruyff etc did, people know what is wrong, right, good, bad, healthy or unhealthy. If parents, teachers, gov't officials, the media, community leaders etc...all did their part, there would be no need for overlap of responsibility.

In my opinion, good sportsmanship & good work ethic (yes a very grey area)....are the only things that a footballer owes to his/her followers. Anything else is a bonus.
       I don't have a problem with what they do off the field but when you associating it with the game of Football then i have a problem,in life there is always something or somebody that influences what direction one takes,it does not matter what level of society he/she comes from,when a kid can put on a Tshirt with your name on it and you telling me you don't care that says something.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
       I don't have a problem with what they do off the field but when you associating it with the game of Football then i have a problem,in life there is always something or somebody that influences what direction one takes,it does not matter what level of society he/she comes from,when a kid can put on a Tshirt with your name on it and you telling me you don't care that says something.

alot of the association that you talk about is created by the media

If parents, teachers, gov't officials, the media, community leaders etc...all did their part, there would be no need for overlap of responsibility.

The media often does not stick within it's bounds in fulfilling it's role in society, for many reason, too much to go into on this board and therefore contributes heavily to the corrosion..........this is a tough discussion though. I respect your point of view.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

alot of the association that you talk about is created by the media

If parents, teachers, gov't officials, the media, community leaders etc...all did their part, there would be no need for overlap of responsibility.

The media often does not stick within it's bounds in fulfilling it's role in society, for many reason, too much to go into on this board and therefore contributes heavily to the corrosion..........this is a tough discussion though. I respect your point of view.
       Thanks Breds i appreciate your views also,it's always nice when you can give and recieve someone elses point without having to be hyped up about it,my hope is that some day or time we can sit down and finish this,it's a huge topic.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just think how much better they would have been if they didn't smoke, drink, and party hard!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just think how much better they would have been if they didn't smoke, drink, and party hard!

I remember a coach ...neville chance I think ... talking about the bad effects of smoking on performance on the field and someone asked ...and Latapy does smoke and he good ? Chance remarked that he as well as others like him could have been better !

Someone mentioned George Best...well Geoge has gone home early because of too much drink.
Garricha, another named, died a pauper and a drunk....

i am sure many people on this fom could name some good footballers who fell by the wayside becase of the ill effects of smoking and drinking excessively.

I am not saying that footballers  should be role models for anybody but the results are there to be seen ....many dreams have gone up in a puff of smoke !

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Smoking and drinking footballers are very common in Europe and South America. Until recently, England was notorious for drinking footballers. Guys routinely getting caught driving drunk..Tony Adams is an alcoholic. I swear I have seen Milan players taking a drag in the tunnel before a game (maybe calms the nerves). Carlos Alberto Parreira in a recent interview said he knew m any of the players drank and smoked......it was in the same article about players being able to have sex during the WC. Check the link below...he says sex is good....the problem is when they drink, smoke and don't get enough sleep. He would not bring it up if some of the players in past squads would be smoking and drinking when they shouldn't

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=afp-fblwc2006brasexoffbeat&prov=afp&type=lgns
Was an alcoholic, he stopped drinking 10 years ago now.

http://www.sportingchanceclinic.com/ Take a look.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 01:07:19 PM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

1]; } ?>