May 05, 2024, 02:51:13 AM

Author Topic: Trini born star Verron Haynes.  (Read 3899 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Trini born star Verron Haynes.
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:49:12 AM »
Cold feet? Only when he goes surfing
For TE McMichael, no regrets in taking on new role with S.D.
By Chris Jenkins, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER .

He came to San Diego to catch passes for the Chargers, but because he is an adventurous sort with an affinity for the beach, Randy McMichael also tried catching waves.

Well, that was his intent. Though raised in the Deep South, McMichael turned himself into a water sportsman between starts as a tight end with the Miami  Dolphins and his now-annual forays to Trinidad and Tobago. Signed over the offseason by the Chargers, McMichael felt a quick and natural pull toward the Pacific Ocean.

“When I first got here, I tried to do some surfing,” said McMichael, already starting to shake his head. “I went to Mission Beach, got in the water. (Eyes agog.) Man, it’s cold as hell. I didn’t have a wet suit. I almost froze. And the air temperature was low too. What’s with that?”

As it happens, McMichael’s arrival for training camp coincided with the coldest July in more than seven decades. That first dip into the Pacific chop, though, was by no means the biggest or most important adjustment he’s having to make in San Diego.

McMichael has eight years in the National Football League, five with the Dolphins, the last three with the St. Louis Rams. In all that time, a span of 116 games, only once was he not in a starting lineup.

The Chargers, of course, already have a first-team tight end whose position isn’t exactly up for grabs and likely won’t be for a long while. McMichael knew that when he signed up with the Chargers, and since then, Antonio Gates has had his contract extended for five years and $36.175 million.

“Once you get to the point I am in my career, it’s time to look at the big picture,” McMichael said. “It’s not about money anymore, not about location. It’s about winning. The opportunity to come here was a big one. I knew my role would change, but I wanted to win so bad.

“I’m coming from a 1-15 team (St. Louis), a heartbreaking experience. My whole career, I’ve been the No. 1 guy, but this is a role I embraced. It took a lot of soul-searching to find out if that’s what I wanted. It was. It is.”

Consider, even with their vaunted history, the Dolphins have never had a tight end catch more passes than the 283 amassed by McMichael from 2002-06. The first two years, the plays were called for him by Norv Turner, then the Miami offensive coordinator and eventually one of the reasons why McMichael chose to sign with the Chargers.

“He’s so laid-back, but like a mad scientist,” said McMichael of the Chargers head coach. “Under all that niceness, there’s a fire burning, and he’ll let you know it.”

McMichael’s own pass-receiving numbers in Miami belie the fact that he isn’t one of those new-age tight ends who basically are large wide receivers, and to be sure, he was brought in to do lots of blocking by the Chargers. Effectively, McMichael is filling the spot left by Brandon Manumaleuna, who moved on to the Chicago Bears.

Known to use three tight ends simultaneously in certain situations, the Chargers also retained veteran Kris Wilson, likewise used more as a blocker than a passing target and a regular performer on special teams.

And there it is, the real sign that different things are expected of McMichael in San Diego. In addition to plays from scrimmage, he’s working with the kick-return squad.

“I’ve never played special teams, never been asked to play them,” McMichael said. “But it’s football and I pride myself on being a football player. I’m an adjustable wrench. Whatever you need done, I can do and will do.

“My mentality about that is, it’s just a matter of stopping a guy from tackling Darren (Sproles). I don’t know the proper techniques, but I know how to block somebody.”

He’s known how to box out, too, since childhood. When talking about how his mother (Angel) can “clean the glass,” he’s not talking about housework; she was the state basketball Player of the Year her senior year at Griffin (Ga.) High.

Once he got over thumb and knee injuries that limited him to a mere one game in 1997 and ’98 at the University of Georgia, McMichael emerged with 90 catches, more than 1,200 yards in receptions and a degree in family and consumer science. The Dolphins kept him in the South, drafting him in the fourth round, and it was in Miami that the kid from inland Georgia fell in love with the ocean.

One of his teammates in Athens, running back Verron Haynes, grew up in Trinidad and Tobago before his family moved to Atlanta. During the offseasons, McMichael would accompany Haynes back to Trinidad for the island’s version of Carnival, and being an entrepreneurial sort, he took an idea of Haynes’ and ran with it. Rather, rode.

“We wanted to go jet-skiing, which I learned to love doing when I was with the Dolphins, but we couldn’t find any in Trinidad,” McMichael said. “We were sitting on Maracas Beach (and) my man Verron thought, ‘Man, we can make some money on this. Let’s start a jet-ski thing.’

“We did some research, got the permits, bought the jet-skis in Florida. We just opened the business earlier this summer. Verron handled the business side. I’m the icebreaker, the conversationalist, sitting and BS’ing with people all day. It’s real fun and, you know, you can’t play football forever.”

He’s already thinking “franchise.” If the water out here would ever get warm.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 06:52:49 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trini born star Verron Haynes.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:23 AM »
ah wonder how many trinis in the NFL?

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:51:53 AM »
so? maracas have jet skis to rent now?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
so? maracas have jet skis to rent now?

YEP
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
i went maracas a few weeks ago. Me eh see none.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
i went maracas a few weeks ago. Me eh see none.
well I haven't been for awhile, buh ah hear the women does get in the way  :devil:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:10:47 PM »

Not this again... two off the top of my head are Anthony Herrera of the Vikings and Kade Weston of the Patriots. Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson is from NJ, but his father is Trini, not sure if that counts.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
on ah side note, there is a Bajan in the NFL now, Ramone harewood.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:19:53 AM »

Not this again... two off the top of my head are Anthony Herrera of the Vikings and Kade Weston of the Patriots. Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson is from NJ, but his father is Trini, not sure if that counts.

By the way, Kade's a cool dude that does hang out with us in the ATL....He hails from Pinto Rd, Arima.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:59:31 PM »
By the way, Kade's a cool dude that does hang out with us in the ATL....He hails from Pinto Rd, Arima.

Nice to hear that man... how he name pronounce, like "Wade", or like "kah day"?  Good news too, he survive final cuts to make the 53-man roster.

New England Patriots' Rookie DL Kade Weston Makes Team

Odds are defensive tackle Kade Weston did not envision becoming the first rookie to officially make the New England Patriots' 53-man roster, and he certainly never could have envisioned making it this way.

The former Georgia Bulldog, who was the 11th of 12 New England draft picks and one of four seventh-rounders, suffered an internal injury last Friday night against the Atlanta Falcons and originally was waived injured. But after he cleared waivers, the Patriots had to place him on injured reserve, which means he accounts for one of those final roster spots.

Albert Breer of The Boston Globe explained the move and the reasoning behind the decision to expose Weston to waivers, and exactly where he was fitting on the depth chart before the injury. At 6-foot-5 and 317 pounds, Weston certainly fit the mold of a 3-4 defensive tackle, and that's what New England has been trying to load up on, but he was still learning the intricacies of the scheme. Now he'll have more time to study.
Read More: Patriots NFL Training Camp

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »

Shaun McDonald steelers
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 08:51:13 AM »

Shaun McDonald steelers

Was never too sure about McDonald... I know Findley and Bibby are his cousins but never knew it that was on the Trini side.   I tend to think so though since all of them grew up tight in the Phoenix area and I know that's where the Trini portion of the family is.  It also stands to reason that since both of Findley's parents are Trinis that if he related to him, one of his parents must be Trini too.  He currently a free agent though, so as of now he no longer in the league.

Here's another new one though...  Nolan Carroll

http://www.miamidolphins.com/content/nolan-carroll-0

He mother is Trini... credit to Peong and Eman.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
Kyle Wilson get beat all kinda how last night by the Raven's receivers.  Between him and Cromartie I think they had more yards than the entire Jets offense.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:32:58 AM »
Kyle Wilson get beat all kinda how last night by the Raven's receivers.  Between him and Cromartie I think they had more yards than the entire Jets offense.

But you have to forgive them. They were up against Boldin, Who's ya mama and an underrated stud in Mason. I don't know if any secondary can handle that.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »

But you have to forgive them. They were up against Boldin, Who's ya mama and an underrated stud in Mason. I don't know if any secondary can handle that.

Wait... I tort dem was world beaters?  This probably belong more in de NFL thread than here, but ah posting it here b/c ah feel sorry fuh Wilson.  Ah wonder if he father teach him de meaning of "bobolee"?  Because dai'z how he was getting beat everytime de camera fix on he number.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 07:47:18 AM »
Horse they gave up 10 points against a trio of pro bowl receivers and a pro bowl running back. No shame in that atall
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:04 AM »
Is Verron Haynes still without a team? Does anyone know? Wikipedia says he is, but I know there was a roster cut recently...

1]; } ?>