Poll

If not Yorke or Latas, who?

Shaka
Whitley
Stern
Dog
Tallest
Carlos

Author Topic: Captaincy?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Captaincy?
« on: March 02, 2006, 12:50:24 AM »
There was a thread recently describing the qualities/requirements of a national team captain. I didn't ketch who Yorke give the captain's armband to when he get subbed off for Latas. Ah still have to see that game a few times again. If he gave it to Latas, that is fine, ah good and justified call in my opinion.

But if not Latas, who should wear the captain's armband when Yorke eh playing? Who would do the job just as effectively yuh think?

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Captaincy?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 12:53:31 AM »
Well Dennis Lawrence assumed the captaincy position when Yorke left.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:55:46 AM »
Thanks Toppa, ah thought so but I wasn't sure.  :beermug:

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:03:33 AM »
DL
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 07:15:56 AM »
But if not Latas, who should wear the captain's armband when Yorke eh playing? Who would do the job just as effectively yuh think?

Put is this way, it have 4 ex-captains on de side (Latas, Dog, Shaka and Stern). Take yuh pick.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 07:20:18 AM »
besides Yorke & Latas, I think Shaka  has the decorum and maturity to be an ambassador for tnt in capacity of captain. Additionally he has a wealth of int'l experience from which he can draw to  lead the team. I would actually put him as a close second to Dwight.
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 08:00:57 AM »
It should not really be an issue to be honest. The good thing is that we have more than one player who possess leadership qualities on the field. That is what matters most i think.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 08:40:45 AM »
No disrespect, but the next captain should be Birchall.  He shows commitment, coming home to represent us whenever possible, plays with heart, and would do a good job dealing with the media.  He also has about 10 years left of solid pro ball, so he would be in it for the long haul.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:56:02 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 09:34:32 AM »
No disrespect, but the next captain should be Birchall.  He shows commitment, coming home to represent us whenever possible, plays with heart, and would do a good job dealing with the media.  He also has about 10 years left of solid pro ball, so he would be in it for the long haul.

Good points ...... but i'd take Whitley or Spann as a successor. Not to mention the younger guys expected to come into the side for 2010.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:48:51 AM »

Good points ...... but i'd take Whitley or Spann as a successor. Not to mention the younger guys expected to come into the side for 2010.

You all have some valid points but it's not like cricket where we need to groom someone to lead the the team in that context. The captain should in my opinion be someone with loads of experience if not at the highest level then at a high level. They should comand the respect of the rest of the squad and able to translate the coach's instruction to the other players on the pitch. Right now Whitley, Spann and Birchall are not ready for that. They possibly can come into their own down the road but right now they are still learning the game and not ready to leady a national squad. Hislop, Andrews, Latapy are good options but they are soon to retire. Stern I suppose may be the man in their abscence.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 07:56:37 PM »
Experience is a factor yes but I choose Whitley because he is a fighter till the final whistle. This is the kind of warrior mentality that the whole team should keep for the full 90, just keep pushing it and pushing it and don't get discouraged.

1]; } ?>