June 13, 2024, 04:04:43 AM

Author Topic: Leo, Warriors face tough test  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Leo, Warriors face tough test
« on: May 18, 2005, 10:48:16 AM »
Ian Prescott
trinidadexpress.com

DUTCHMAN Leo Beenhakker faces his toughest test since taking control of the Trinidad and Tobago national football team when his "Warriors" oppose defending Peruvian club champions Alianza Lima in a friendly warm-up from 6.30 p.m. today at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Beenhakker is using the match as a preparation for upcoming World Cup qualifying games against Panama and Mexico on June 4 and June 8, respectively.

A large crowd of fans are expected to turn out to have a first look at what new coach Beenhakker has been able to accomplish with the Warriors. Patrons attending the match are required to pay $100 for entrance to the covered stands, or $50 to the uncovered terraces, while children in uniform will be allowed in free of charge.

Yesterday at the Stadium, 24 of Trinidad and Tobago's top footballers trained under the watchful eyes of Beenhakker and his Dutch assistants Theo De Jong and Wim Rijsbergen.

Among them were overseas-based professionals Hector Sam, Dennis Lawrence, Carlos Edwards, Marlon Rojas, Cornell Glen, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Kenwyne Jones, Avery John, newcomer Chris Birchall, David Nakhid, Clayton Ince, Kelvin Jones, Dexter Phillips and Arnold Dwarika.

Also vying for selection were locally-based players Aurtis Whitley, Atiba Charles, Anthony Wolffe, Gary Glasgow, Glenton Wolffe, Anton Pierre and Densil Theobald.

Absent from the session were Dwight Yorke; Stern John, who arrives in Trinidad today; and Scotland-based defenders Marvin Andrews and Brent Sancho, who are due to fly in later this week.

Beenhakker had a good, full session, marked by crisp passing and lots of enthusiasm by his players. And Beenhakker hinted he may be using today's game to work out what formation is best for his team in the upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

"We will see if it's 3-4-3 or a 4-4-2 system depending on the condition of the players and what the best position might be for each player. This is of course a good training match for us...just as I got a lot of answers from the game last week, the same will apply for this one on Wednesday," said the former Ajax Amsterdam boss.

And Yorke said he will be banking on an upbeat performance from the "Warriors" in today's warm-up, following two days of intense training.

The former Manchester United star was impressed with Beenhakker's training methods and expects the T&T players will respond well to the Dutchman.

"I've been very impressed with the way things have gone so far," Yorke told Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) media officer Shaun Fuentes.

"I have been fortunate enough to work under good managers before and I think he's right up there

with the best and now he's here to take charge of us and my first impression was a great one," said Yorke, who also mentioned that it was important that the "Warriors" give a good account today against the Peruvians

He also touched on the decision by close friend Russell Latapy not to take up the invitation to return to the team as a player.

"It's a delicate situation for him. Russell sees himself as a retiree from football and he sees his future as a coach. As much as we will all love to see him here with the team, he still feels he wants to come back in a managerial capacity. The people are bound to be disappointed with him not being here but I think they also have to see it from his side as well," stated Yorke

1]; } ?>