June 07, 2024, 03:51:59 AM

Author Topic: Time for a players’ association  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Time for a players’ association
« on: August 29, 2005, 11:37:38 AM »
Time for a players’ association
By David Maynard (T&T Mirror)

WISH I could tell you I’d love to be first to rush to Russell Latapy and say welcome back, wish you well.

One out of two is not too bad because I do wish him well.

Actually, I wish all players well in this climate that is Trinidad and Tobago football, but because of this climate that is TnT football I can’t welcome them.

Russell would know of what I speak: He has had a string of manipulative ins and outs without doing any of the manipulating himself while taking quite a public tongue-lashing for it.

If one were to fault him it would be for playing along -- I don’t know, maybe for self-preservation -- instead of exposing the true culprit for the puppet master that culprit truly is.

He has even allowed the announcement about his return to be milked by those still yearning self-worth in spite of all the riches.

And the man most influential in turning his heart after his most recent of TnT embarrassments regarding the assistant coach’s job, not too long ago had good cause for self-imposed exile, too.

Yes, the two have been played like a fiddle throughout the years and sent away looking like dirt in the public’s eye in spite of 20 years of unstinting service dating back to when they were 10 and 12-year-olds.

They are not the only ones.

I know of a player based in Portugal and another in a Middle East hot spot who were threatened with ostracism from the national team if they spoke to me as reporter, at a time when the fashion of the day was to advertise players as if they were available in order to draw the crowd.

Hyped up crowds are usually forgiving when such a player did not show; or is given the red herring of a misdemeanour by the player or even the player’s club (Club vs Country; remember that?)

Many more than these four have felt a certain wrath over the years.

The more recent two have gone from appalled to discouraged to resentful -- resentful of a people who allow all this manipulation of the country’s natural talent to be done for more personal than national gain without as much as a complaint.

And now, to ... I guess, dutiful.

Dutiful because Dwight sincerely wants to give the country what it wants now and assesses that none of the current lot can provide the type of service of the ball that he needs without having to do too much additional work, in order to create an impact.

With a midfielder the calibre of Latapy, he feels, he can better exploit the 45 to 60 minutes he tells Pierre Littbarski he is capable of producing at this time, for the odd goal that would keep TnT competitive where lack of cohesion and porous defending are not.

Yes, I say bring on Latapy for the specific purpose of winning the next two matches against Guatemala and Costa Rica (after all, Leo Beenhakker is here specifically to qualify for this World Cup, not develop our game; and the hype is being regenerated through media influence again).

But bring on Latapy.

The target is just 11 points for a real chance to qualify.

Let him work his magic in midfield.

And let’s hope he does not find himself needing to be provided quality passes or wanting quality support in midfield in order to better effect his distribution to Dwight.

For, we all know how poorly the team has been on fundamentals of the game; how topsy-turvy the performances; how crucial a miss was that opportunity to improve through the Gold Cup.

Bring on Russell, bring on Dwight; but remember guys, the only thing that has changed in football administration since you last played together, is the years.

The pleasures or pains you may have known are still there.

Experience would tell you to concentrate on just the football aspect, as you must.

Just play to win.

Know your position as role models and understand your responsibility as motivators -- the likes of which has not been seen on a national team since your Strike Squad days under inspirational coach Everald “Gally” Cummings and psychologist Shirley Rudd-Ottley, in 1989.

Play your part on the field and lift the guys in belief that points against not only Guatemala and Costa Rica, but also Panama and Mexico belong to TnT.

And yes, I hear you: take it one game at a time.

But I can’t wait for after this: My wish is that, qualify or not, you use this second coming to organise national and club players as a body.

You see, because you did not put down your feet before, other players have been manipulated.

In more recent times, Clayton Ince was announced to have retired without ever having done so himself.

That hatchet was said to have been buried, but it would be another lifetime before you see him on a national team again.

And Cornell Glenn, one of the most gifted forwards of the day, is suddenly and mysteriously told his services are no longer required on the national team.

And this in the middle of a struggling campaign when players around him need all the feeling of confidence and security they could muster.

If you think that action is insensitive, then you’re part accepting that it is time for a Players’ Association.

Forget that faux pas after 1989 which some of the Strike Squad players jettisoned; the 2000 Gold Cup uprising David Nakhid seemed to have led in Los Angeles; and the more recent one by local boys Gary Glasgow, Travis Mulraine, Kelvin Jack and company in which Jack was made the scapegoat.

No backing out this time because, given your status, you have nothing to lose (well, except for that desire to be assistant national coach; they’ll never pay you like a foreigner anyway).

Think about it.

I’ll develop on how this can work in another column.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Time for a players’ association
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 12:29:50 PM »
They already have a player's association where Sancho was the head man before he went Scotland....not so?

I doh understand why they never follow up with that.  They even had Shaka pops helping them if I remember.

What I remember them saying is that the organization had to be run by those locally based for it to work.

It definitely have a need for an organized player's association.  They already did all the ground work and now need to follow through with the committment to carry out the duties.

Anyone know which players hold this sort of thing close to their heart and will actually follow through and make the sacrifices necessary to make it successful?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 12:31:13 PM »

And respect to Maynard for being the only reporter(that i know of) to question Glenn's ommission.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 01:07:51 PM »
didnt they hav an association wen sum locals quit the team in order to protest poor condiotions and wat nut and we play finland with only lala intercol men and d sealy fellar from st anthoneys get subbed on and subbed offf or was dat a young kenwyne jones at the time i cant remember
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 01:56:25 PM »
to NOT have an association is pure madness-should have been done years ago these players need to get this done asap. yorke, latas, nahkid some former players jb brian williams should work this quick

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:04:06 AM »

I still wondering who Maynard talking about....the puppet master who pulling the strings.
Why he cah just say the name.
Jack Warner, Wayne Mandeville, Alvin Corneal???

Who it is?  U cah be writing in secret code in a newspaper.
Gives the impression he just spreading propaganda and myths.

Put the details if u a real journalist nah man.

"I know of a player..."  Come better than that.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 09:13:11 AM »

I still wondering who Maynard talking about....the puppet master who pulling the strings.

Who it is? U cah be writing in secret code in a newspaper.

"I know of a player..." Come better than that.

Like yuh wah de man get sued or what?
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 09:21:26 AM »
It's ages now that talk around not only players, coaches also,it's something that have come up many times and just died because ppl just don't have the guts to form one,the feeling is that Jack Warner may take it the wrong way and no one wants to be a part of that,the other thing is i don't think there is any togetherness with our players they are a more individual and take care of yourself kind of guys.
      Questions i would ask, what would be the role of this association?why do we need one?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 06:04:02 AM by Coop's »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 09:36:52 AM »

Coop's, I think it need one so players don't have to worry being on Jack good or bad side.
Don't have to worry bout this player in better favour than the next.

So negotiations for conditions are more professional and u have less irrational one off situations.

It will have better communication.  And these players could look out for each other when it comes to dealing with managers abroad and finding good agents.

I think all the work has laready been done by Sancho and them.  They just need to follow through with people doing what they supposed to do.

As for Maynard getting sue....a journalist cah be fraid of dem tings else he will be toothless.  And if the public on your side for the way u present the mterial to them who go be brave enuff to sue them and look even worse.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »
unfortunately the bottom line is Jack run TT fotball and will crush the idea of a players association no matter how good it can be for the players.
who knows maybe if former and present players , coaches could come together they may be able to form 1 despite M. Warner's objections. trouble is many of them got a favor, work or some handout from that same Mr. Warner.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 11:10:58 AM »
unfortunately the bottom line is Jack run TT fotball and will crush the idea of a players association no matter how good it can be for the players.
who knows maybe if former and present players , coaches could come together they may be able to form 1 despite M. Warner's objections. trouble is many of them got a favor, work or some handout from that same Mr. Warner.

So what happen to the last one?
Seem to me like it fall apart cuz Sancho ride out when he get the contract.  It fall apart cuz of the players.  They doh need no help for TTFF to run their own business whether Jack help them or not.  It need not be a union to fight against the TTFF...it have so much more issues they cud be dealing with on behalf of the players.  anyway...ball in their court but I doh think any of them really want it enuff.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 11:37:59 AM »
Thanks Football king this is exactly what my next post would have been,no one has the belly to stand up to Jack Warner so we can't have,don't matter what you do or say  contracts anything he has a say in it.The only person i know today that talks out openly on the ills of Football and Jack Warner is Sammy Llewelyn,they have stoped publishing his articles in the press you know why.(some one stop them)

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 11:43:49 AM »
Jack is the boss hands down been like this long time now and heated debate re: jack or no jack
better with or better without jack warner?

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 11:52:04 AM »
sammy sadly cause of his anti warner words will be on the outside looking in at tt football.

once you cross jack your are dead in tt football. real dictatorship-good or bad not for me to judge. i have enough problems of my own. :beermug:

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »

Gally is not going to the game because he did not get a ticket and he is upset.

My question again is why are the players/coaches waiting on the federation to do for them when they can do for themselves.

The fans have finally formed something to represent them and actively seek out what they want.  Qualification was the catalyst to turn ideas into actions and real outcomes.  600 tickets for the Peru game and tickets for the WC including England tickets.  Imagine if we got more tickets than the former players because they are not properly representing themselves.

The last I have heard of anything from the players was Dwight representing them in negotiating bonus payments.  Sounds like a one off thing that is going to fade away.
Where is the players association and why are they not pursuing it.
You have Angus Eve and Mike McComie working as tv show hosts on Total Football....in a position to maybe promote or bring up the issue. It is already formed now just use it.  We will keep hearing about Kerry Jamerson buying tickets from a scalper, Leonson Lewis getting crushed in line trying to get a ticket, Gally not participating or attending Latapy's final home game.

Maybe Warrior Nation should take up the mantle and put together a committee to get something done.
I eh want no damn ticket for nutten till something gets rolling    >:(

Coop's.....we may come to you for questions and help if we can get a committee or something started.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 04:14:13 PM »
A player's association is imperative. I however believe that players would fear for not being selected when things get heated. As anything else, it has its' pros and cons but for some reason it would not get much physical support. I just getting that vibes.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 07:26:06 PM »

Who it is?  U cah be writing in secret code in a newspaper.

"I know of a player..."  Come better than that.
     Breds if you following Football long enough you will realize who the man talking about,i don't think he have to read and spell that.
     I don't think a lot of ppl know David Maynard,this guy reporting Football since the days of Port of Spain League,North v South etc the good old days,he was the TFA main reporter,he used to be on all our tours with the national teams,when this guy reports he knows what he is talking about.
      My personal feeling is once JW is around Football we will not have a players association,we have been trying to have one since in my time,Colts,Chalengers etc got banned when they tried,Chalengers players protested in front TFA.I remember guys like Eddie Hart,Sharkey Henry,myself and a few others talked about it but that was as far as it got.
      For a Players association to get organize,it have to be by ppl that would not be affected by what ever actions they take on issues at hand,they must be the voice of the players,active players should not take leadership roles in this association,players bring their problems to the association we deal with it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 06:09:10 AM by Coop's »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 10:00:12 PM »

For a Players association to get organize,it have to be by ppl that would not be affected by what ever actions they take on issues at hand,they must be the voice of the players,active players should not take leadership roles in this association,players bring their problems to the association we deal with it.

Dat mean people like you.

We going to the World Cup and if we talking about T&T football developing for the future a functional Players Association is something that should be up and running post WC.  It benefits everyone including the federation; whether they like it or not is another story.

As far as I know all the paperwork was done by Sancho et al but as you say he is a current player.

Somebody have to step up and they doh bound to be no martyr.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 06:25:16 AM »

Dat mean people like you.

We going to the World Cup and if we talking about T&T football developing for the future a functional Players Association is something that should be up and running post WC.  It benefits everyone including the federation; whether they like it or not is another story.

As far as I know all the paperwork was done by Sancho et al but as you say he is a current player.

Somebody have to step up and they doh bound to be no martyr.
       I appreciate you looking at ppl like myself to start this and i agree but i would like to go a little futher to nominate other ppl with the guts to form a Players association,Gally Cummings,Jan Steadman,Sammy Llewelyn,these guys are proven veterans and i know will stand up for Footballers in our country,paperwork not working,we need voices to represent these guys,i will also add either Lasana or George Baptiste(spell) to lead this group.It would be my pleasure to be a part of this organisation also.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 06:59:24 AM »
Of course is Jack the talking about. Last time when it had the strike lead out by sancho and ting.....wha yuh feel went on with some a dem players?? All the Joe public players were immediately fired. It had a man who went my school....jeremy del pino did get call to train for dat...was playing for joe public...and was part of it...and was never seen again. Crossing Jack does exile yuh.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 12:59:49 PM »
Of course is Jack the talking about. Last time when it had the strike lead out by sancho and ting.....wha yuh feel went on with some a dem players?? All the Joe public players were immediately fired. It had a man who went my school....jeremy del pino did get call to train for dat...was playing for joe public...and was part of it...and was never seen again. Crossing Jack does exile yuh.
       So i guess that means we can't have a Players association as long as Jack in control right!! is that what we want or is that the way it should be? ppl can't even talk much less do something about anything.
       You know what, i find is someone like Jack this country should be using to fight Crime,this guy have too much power,why don't he use it where we need it most.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 01:18:02 PM »
So i guess that means we can't have a Players association as long as Jack in control right!!

Nothing good come easy and if you sit around waiting on him to go away you may end up like the people waiting for Castro to pass on.

1]; } ?>