June 07, 2024, 04:06:04 AM

Author Topic: THE WORST SEASON EVER ???  (Read 948 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
THE WORST SEASON EVER ???
« on: May 10, 2006, 09:00:24 PM »
Football sucks.

That's a nasty way to open, but after witnessing the conclusion to THE WORST SEASON EVER, it had to be said.

Consider this: five of the six major European leagues have already been won by the same clubs that took the title in the previous season.

Chelsea, Lyon, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and PSV all kept hold of their championship titles with matches to spare - and Juventus are in pole position to make it a clean sweep when Serie A concludes next weekend.

And the deeper you scratch, the more unsavory the statistics become.

Lyon's success was their fifth successive Ligue 1 title. PSV have now won the Eredivisie four times in the last six years, Bayern have celebrated the Bundesliga title for seven of the last ten seasons. Juventus stand on the brink of their fourth championship in five years.

Meanwhile, in Greece, Olympiakos have now won nine of the last ten Alpha Ethniki titles. In neighbouring Turkey, Fenerbahçe stand on the brink of their third-successive Super League triumph.

Hardly an inspirational set of facts.

No, something's rotten here.

European football is drowning in its own self-importance, and the fans have become too scared or lazy to throw the game the life jacket it so desperately needs.

Instead, we sit at the poolside, fat and bloated after gorging ourselves on a super-Size diet of bland and tasteless football, remote control resting on our swollen bellies, flicking from one mind-numbing championship to another.

Sniff, sniff, sniff. But how did all this happen?

It happened because football has been stolen from the fans by a deceitful, shadowy cartel of money-mongers  and the most humiliating thing of all is that they did so right under our noses.

While we gazed with open mouths and wide eyes at the circus freaks parading in front of us, we didn't realize that they had an army of shifty little cronies walking amongst the crowd, picking our pockets.

Childish naivety is the only excuse we can offer; our brains were too fried from the free candyfloss and root beer to notice what was really going on around us.

I feel like I've finally awoken from a five-year blackout, and this past season has been one long and dirty hangover as my throbbing head tries to work out what happened.

Those circus acts, those freaks of finance, didn't really roll in to town to help us; they weren't really here to enrich our lives.

No, my friends, far from it. They are here only to make themselves feel important; to wheel and deal and whirl and twirl and play games with each other in their sandbox world.

This sleazy cloud of bloodsuckers has taken everything  and given us nothing in return. They have truly bled European football dry.

The result is Condition Red. No, perhaps more frightening than that: Condition Beige.

But I am a drowsy man, and these twice-told tales are certainly vexing my ear.

Perhaps the World Cup will prove to be the first dew on a bright new dawn.

Sadly, I doubt it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:02:01 PM by freakazoid »
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: THE WORST SEASON EVER ???
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:44:05 PM »
Please post the link freak, because I hope you didn't write this.

This isn't journalism. This is righteous self indignation at its best.

First I never heard anyone mention the Dutch league as one of the top 6 in Europe until now (Ajax of old notwithstanding). Definitely not the Dutch and the French at the same time. Why no Portugal. Because it doesn't help the general hypothesis?

The author treats European football as if it is representative of all the football played in the world ignoring notably the south american leagues, but also the champion's league that threw up two first timers in the semis and features a final of a club thats never been there before and one that hasn't won in almost 15 years. Same goes for the UEFA cup.

The truth of the matter is that the leagues in these countries have been 2 or 3 horse races for ages so it isn't really surprising that the same team wins in all the leagues. Wasn't it just as 'bland' when Manchester was racking up victories? Ajax?

This thing isn't 5 years old... Some body should have woke him sooner.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 04:59:09 AM »
I read this on ESPN soccernet. It was not written by freakazoid.
Midknight, I agree with most of what you're saying...

but out of curiosity...how is the Dutch league not one of the top 6 in Europe? The top seven, in no particular order are generally considered to be Spain, England, Italy, Germany, Holland, France and Portugal. It is subjective to a degree and some might even add Turkey (a couple years ago anyway), to make a top 8. So it is not a far fetched idea that it is th top 6. In modern times the Dutch league has been one of the second tier behind England, Spain, Germany and Italy......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:41:15 AM »
What rubbish. this going on for years. Go back in the history of the Leagues mentioned and you will see the same pattern. How many titles Ajax won in the 70's plus 3 back to back European Cups. Real did the same in the 60's, Bayern in the 70's and Liverpool in the 70's and 80's. Milan 80's and 90's
People find stories anywhere and prey on the ignorant.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>