June 07, 2024, 07:46:32 AM

Author Topic: ‘Soca Warriors’ get Welsh test in Graz today.  (Read 5763 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
‘Soca Warriors’ get Welsh test in Graz today.
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:05:02 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

A Caribbean flavour is what this country’s World Cup footballers will look to invade Graz and the other cities they are carded to play their remaining matches on this current World Cup march with starting from today’s friendly international against Wales.
That was the message coming from veteran midfield ace Russell Latapy as he spoke on behalf of the “Soca Warriors” on the eve of their match with the Welsh at the UPN Arena from 6:15 pm (12:15pm TT time).
Latapy was among a pumped up bunch of men under Leo Beenhakker which had a 1 hour session at the match venue under cool conditions on Friday evening and he has promised an effort from the team to produce the kind of football that will raise eyebrows and leave good first impressions among those who will witness T&T’s first appearance at this level.
When asked about how the team was managing itself as the preparations intensifying and the possible mix of emotions being expressed among the members of the team, Latapy expressed his thoughts and spoke of his hopes for the coming weeks as the team continues to brave everything that comes with the build up to its first ever appearance on the grand world stage.
“Obviously because of the magnitude of the competition there will be emotions flying around but it’s dealing with things within yourself as a player and an individual and as a team as well is what is the key for us. We need to believe in ourselves as a team and be very confident in our own ability and try to impose the way that we play football which is with that Caribbean flavour and that Trinidad and Tobago flavour,” Latapy told TTFF Media.
“If we can impose our kind of football on the other teams then I think our chances of getting good results are a lot better. As a unit most, if not all the player understand that and we are working hard at getting things right (like) our tactical game, our individual game. If we can do this and be confident but not over confident, still keeping our foot on the ground and being prepared to work as hard as we can and leaving everything on the field for 90, 95 or 100 minutes then we should be alright,” he added.
The “Little Magician” was still on the sidelines as T&T’s session was completed and he got the chance to see the Welsh players entering the pitch with head coach John Toshack for their session and he expects just the right test from the opposition.
“I think it’s an important game in terms of our preparations. If we get a good result it’s definitely going to help because winning is a habit and an attitude. But the general public should not read too much into that game (because) it’s a preparation game in terms of what we want to do and how we want to play when we get to the tournament. There are  a lot of things the coach will be working on there.
“I think the key to doing well in the tournament is peaking at the right time. We have still got maybe two-three weeks before our first game, although we are working hard to getting as fit and sharp as possible, it’s still a  preparation game and ideally what we will like to do is peak at the first game and then carry it on for as long as possible instead of peaking now and having a fantastic result and then by the time we get there, then we are stale. It’s difficult to maintain that certain level for five or 6 weeks, if I had a choice to make, I would like us to be good tactically and get a good result (against Wales) but if we can peak and put everything in place and do everything the right way, I will be much happier with that,” the midfield general explained as he kept up with the scores and the win by the Brian Lara-led West Indies team over India back in Port of Spain.
“Latas” was pleased with the win by the Windies but “remains convinced that his team has a greater chance to expose T&T to the world” and he intends to play whatever role he can in this venture. The build up has attracted media attention from across the globe.
Beenhakker will see the return of LA Galaxy forward Cornell Glen from a hamstring injury to the team but he will start the game on the bench along with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Aurtis Whitley who may come off the bench in the second half. Not eligible for selection in this outing will be West Ham goalie Shaka Hislop who is resting a sore hamstring but is almost certain to be ready for next Wednesday’s friendly away to Slovenia. Midfielder Silvio Spann is not in the squad as he continues to nurse a hamstring problem.
The match will also allow Beenhakker to make as much changes as he works out his approach for the official Group B matches starting on June 10 against the Swedes.
Welsh manager Toshack said he intends to give Beenhakker’s men a good run even without experienced winger Ryan Giggs who is out with a damaged toe.
“It’s obviously a key preparation match for the Trinidad and Tobago team and we will go into the game with an approach to do well and get a result,” he said.
And Gillingham goalie Jason Brown will try to ensure that nothing gets past as he promised club teammates Brent Sancho and Ian Cox that they will be in for a hard run.
“My dad will be thrilled when we beat you guys because he’s from Jamaica,” Brown joked around. “No but really we think it’s an excellent chance to have a game against the Trinidad team that is heading off to the World Cup and we feel good about being able to help them get ready which means that we will have a good go in this match,” he said.
The games will be shown live on BBC 2 and channel 4 in T&T. The T&T team will arrive at the match venue approximately 90 minutes before kick off after the one-hour journey from the Hotel IM Park in Bad Radkersburg.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:56:43 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Soca Warriors’ get Welsh test in Graz today.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »
[/size]

“I think the key to doing well in the tournament is peaking at the right time. We have still got maybe five-six weeks before our first game, although we are working hard to getting as fit and sharp as possible, it’s still a preparation game and ideally what we will like to do is peak at the first game and then carry it on for as long as possible instead of peaking now and having a fantastic result and then by the time we get there, then we are stale. It’s difficult to maintain that certain level for five or 6 weeks, if I had a choice to make, I would like us to be good tactically and get a good result (against Wales) but if we can peak and put everything in place and do everything the right way,

???  ???  ???
I know Latapy is getting down in age but I can't understand this one.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 04:25:08 PM »
?Soca Warriors? get Welsh test in Graz today.
[/size]

?I think the key to doing well in the tournament is peaking at the right time. We have still got maybe five-six weeks before our first game, although we are working hard to getting as fit and sharp as possible, it?s still a preparation game and ideally what we will like to do is peak at the first game and then carry it on for as long as possible instead of peaking now and having a fantastic result and then by the time we get there, then we are stale. It?s difficult to maintain that certain level for five or 6 weeks, if I had a choice to make, I would like us to be good tactically and get a good result (against Wales) but if we can peak and put everything in place and do everything the right way,

???? ???? ???

I was thinking the same thing. I kept reading it over to see if I missed something. Is this an old interview?

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:32:10 PM »
?Soca Warriors? get Welsh test in Graz today.
[/size]

?I think the key to doing well in the tournament is peaking at the right time. We have still got maybe five-six weeks before our first game, although we are working hard to getting as fit and sharp as possible, it?s still a preparation game and ideally what we will like to do is peak at the first game and then carry it on for as long as possible instead of peaking now and having a fantastic result and then by the time we get there, then we are stale. It?s difficult to maintain that certain level for five or 6 weeks, if I had a choice to make, I would like us to be good tactically and get a good result (against Wales) but if we can peak and put everything in place and do everything the right way,

???? ???? ???

I was thinking the same thing. I kept reading it over to see if I missed something. Is this an old interview?

Well it says that he is speaking on the eve of the clash between the Soca warriors and Wales. Our first game is in a fortnight.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 04:46:49 PM »
[/size]

A Caribbean flavour is what this country’s World Cup footballers will look to invade Graz and the other cities they are carded to play their remaining matches on this current World Cup march with starting from today’s friendly international against Wales.
That was the message coming from veteran midfield ace Russell Latapy as he spoke on behalf of the “Soca Warriors” on the eve of their match with the Welsh at the UPN Arena from 6:15 pm (11:15pm TT time).
Latapy was among a pumped up bunch of men under Leo Beenhakker which had a 1 hour session at the match venue under cool conditions on Friday evening and he has promised an effort from the team to produce the kind of football that will raise eyebrows and leave good first impressions among those who will witness T&T’s first appearance at this level.
When asked about how the team was managing itself as the preparations intensifying and the possible mix of emotions being expressed among the members of the team, Latapy expressed his thoughts and spoke of his hopes for the coming weeks as the team continues to brave everything that comes with the build up to its first ever appearance on the grand world stage.
“Obviously because of the magnitude of the competition there will be emotions flying around but it’s dealing with things within yourself as a player and an individual and as a team as well is what is the key for us. We need to believe in ourselves as a team and be very confident in our own ability and try to impose the way that we play football which is with that Caribbean flavour and that Trinidad and Tobago flavour,” Latapy told TTFF Media.
“If we can impose our kind of football on the other teams then I think our chances of getting good results are a lot better. As a unit most, if not all the player understand that and we are working hard at getting things right (like) our tactical game, our individual game. If we can do this and be confident but not over confident, still keeping our foot on the ground and being prepared to work as hard as we can and leaving everything on the field for 90, 95 or 100 minutes then we should be alright,” he added.
The “Little Magician” was still on the sidelines as T&T’s session was completed and he got the chance to see the Welsh players entering the pitch with head coach John Toshack for their session and he expects just the right test from the opposition.
“I think it’s an important game in terms of our preparations. If we get a good result it’s definitely going to help because winning is a habit and an attitude. But the general public should not read too much into that game (because) it’s a preparation game in terms of what we want to do and how we want to play when we get to the tournament. There are  a lot of things the coach will be working on there.
“I think the key to doing well in the tournament is peaking at the right time. We have still got maybe five-six weeks before our first game, although we are working hard to getting as fit and sharp as possible, it’s still a  preparation game and ideally what we will like to do is peak at the first game and then carry it on for as long as possible instead of peaking now and having a fantastic result and then by the time we get there, then we are stale. It’s difficult to maintain that certain level for five or 6 weeks, if I had a choice to make, I would like us to be good tactically and get a good result (against Wales) but if we can peak and put everything in place and do everything the right way, I will be much happier with that,” the midfield general explained as he kept up with the scores and the win by the Brian Lara-led West Indies team over India back in Port of Spain.
“Latas” was pleased with the win by the Windies but “remains convinced that his team has a greater chance to expose T&T to the world” and he intends to play whatever role he can in this venture. The build up has attracted media attention from across the globe.
Beenhakker will see the return of LA Galaxy forward Cornell Glen from a hamstring injury to the team but he will start the game on the bench along with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh midfielder Aurtis Whitley who may come off the bench in the second half. Not eligible for selection in this outing will be West Ham goalie Shaka Hislop who is resting a sore hamstring but is almost certain to be ready for next Wednesday’s friendly away to Slovenia. Midfielder Silvio Spann is not in the squad as he continues to nurse a hamstring problem.
The match will also allow Beenhakker to make as much changes as he works out his approach for the official Group B matches starting on June 10 against the Swedes.
Welsh manager Toshack said he intends to give Beenhakker’s men a good run even without experienced winger Ryan Giggs who is out with a damaged toe.
“It’s obviously a key preparation match for the Trinidad and Tobago team and we will go into the game with an approach to do well and get a result,” he said.
And Gillingham goalie Jason Brown will try to ensure that nothing gets past as he promised club teammates Brent Sancho and Ian Cox that they will be in for a hard run.
“My dad will be thrilled when we beat you guys because he’s from Jamaica,” Brown joked around. “No but really we think it’s an excellent chance to have a game against the Trinidad team that is heading off to the World Cup and we feel good about being able to help them get ready which means that we will have a good go in this match,” he said.
The games will be shown live on BBC 2 and channel 4 in T&T. The T&T team will arrive at the match venue approximately 90 minutes before kick off after the one-hour journey from the Hotel IM Park in Bad Radkersburg.

Isnt the game at 12 15 pm local time        ???   shaun you ok lol?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 05:01:35 PM »
Shaun did send me the corrected one, I just didn't get the time right away to correct it, so thats my fault.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 05:02:50 PM »
Shaun did send me the corrected one, I just didn't get the time right away to correct it, so thats my fault.

cool cool

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 05:15:14 PM »
My dad will be thrilled when we beat you guys because he’s from Jamaica,” Brown joked around. “No but really we think it’s an excellent chance to have a game against the Trinidad team that is heading off to the World Cup and we feel good about being able to help them get ready which means that we will have a good go in this match,” he said

small and big magician wey allyuh ah next one.

FUTBOLa next one we can cross off our list
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 05:45:29 PM »
My dad will be thrilled when we beat you guys because he’s from Jamaica,” Brown joked around. “No but really we think it’s an excellent chance to have a game against the Trinidad team that is heading off to the World Cup and we feel good about being able to help them get ready which means that we will have a good go in this match,” he said

small and big magician wey allyuh ah next one.

FUTBOLa next one we can cross off our list

nah my boys will shut his Jamaican ass 2moro

1]; } ?>