May 23, 2024, 12:26:49 AM

Author Topic: Here's how Beckham bends it (Ah like this article Physics Peongs)  (Read 3110 times)

Offline jimbo

• I iz a Piper!
  • Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Here's how Beckham bends it

by Richard Ingham
May 16, 2006
PARIS (AFP) - Physicists are not known for donning replica shirts and face paint, yet they are among the millions who marvel at David Beckham, Roberto Carlos and other masters of the banana kick.

Backed by wind tunnels, high-speed cameras and computer simulation, scientists have been keen to understand the complex physics that go into one of those dazzling curving kicks from outside the box.

Three big variables combine to determine where the ball will go, according to researchers at Britain's University of Sheffield.

They are the VELOCITY of the ball, determined by the force at which it is struck; the SPIN of the ball, which imparts the curve; and the DRAG, or the braking effect of the air.

The key factor in all this is something called the Magnus Effect, named after a 19th-century German physicist, Gustav Magnus, who was curious to understand why spinning artillery shells deflected to one side.

Magnus found that a spinning ball or cylinder swirls the air around it, causing vortices on both sides of its surface.

Thus, one side of a spinning football experiences lift, while the other side is slowed. It is this imbalance of local air pressures that causes the sideways movement -- the curve.

But the real masters of the banana kick can also get the ball to change angle during its flight.

One of the most memorable place kicks in football history was a 30-metre stunner made by Roberto Carlos in a Brazil-France match in 1997.
The kick was initially so wide that a ballboy, standing to the right of the French goal, instinctively ducked, thinking that he was going to get whacked.

But then the ball suddenly dipped leftwards into the net, delighting Brazilian fans and leaving French keeper Fabien Barthez open-mouthed.

How did Carlos work this magic?

The answer lies in airflow.

Just after a kick, a spinning ball is moving forward at relatively high velocity, and the air flows irregularly over it.

But when the ball slows down -- specifically, when it reaches between eight metres and 10 metres per second (18-23 miles per hour), depending on its surface structure and texture -- the airflow becomes smooth, or "laminar," which instantly increases the drag.

The change is dramatic. In a fraction of a second, drag can be increased by 150 percent. This drastically brakes the forward movement of the ball and thus enhances the curving movement derived by the Magnus Effect.

The British journal Physics World estimates that Carlos kicked the ball at 30 metres per second (70 mph) with the outside of his left foot, impelling an anticlockwise spin of more than 10 revolutions per second.

The force of the kick initially caused the ball to take a relatively straight line, bringing it a metre (yard) to the right of the French defensive wall.

The ball then slowed, causing the laminar airflow to kick in and suddenly boosting the leftward curve, with the outcome that poor Barthez will no doubt remember all his life.

As any footballer will know, bending kicks also have other variables: the angle at which the foot hits the ball, the part of the foot that connects with the ball's surface, the humidity of the air and the ball.

High-speed cameras have shown that you will get maximum spin by kicking the ball with the front of your foot and with the angle between your leg and foot at 90 degrees, and if the ball, the boot and the air are all dry.

What the cameras don't say -- but which everyone knows -- is that it also helps if you are Brazilian.

I an I iz u and u..seen

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Here's how Beckham bends it (Ah like this article Physics Peongs)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:52:26 AM »
Excellent article!
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 02:36:16 PM »
good read...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why Beckham is not overrated..
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 08:13:10 AM »
Everyone says he is crap...but I think he will always be a big danger with his long passes and dangerous free kicks. He has great workrate and scored a double at the end of the season to show he can still put them in the net. He is actually in decent form right now. The most important detail though, is that even in Real Madrid's somewhat dissapointing season, beckham had the most assists in La Liga...here is the link to an article about the 'best' performers in Spain. Most of it is subjective, some is based on stats...nice read IF you like La Liga

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=368592&root=europe&cc=5901

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
Re: Why Beckham is not overrated..
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »
I agree Beck's is not overrated, probably the best spot kicker taker of all time (in my humble view). But I will say his productivity greatly increases with a certain the type of striker in front of him.

Becks does well in any circumstance, but when he's on the pitch with strikers that play with their backs to the goal and are good in the air, he is able to exercise his strenghts even more so being able to pick them out in the box....

Can you picture Becks having Adriano in front of him! Pressure
Suffice to say, Owen and Rooney are not optimal strikers to play in front of Becks... People before you rip that statement to shreds, I am speaking in relative terms. Peter Crouch could pose more danger when Becks has the ball.

Dwight did very well at Manu with Becks serving up perfect passes. 

Offline juventus_fc

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:46:28 AM »
Definitely not overated

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:07:43 AM »
The question is overrated by whom ? Is it the fans, the coaches, the players or the media? I think the media particularly the British and American media have been overly gracious to Beckham. I remember watching  Champions Leagues games and hearing opposing coaches single out Giggs as the most dangerous player on Man U. After the Yorke era Beckham was seen as secondary to many coaches and players especially in Champions league matches and even worse on Madrid he was more like an after-thought . I think it was Atletico's Colsa who once said that there were at least 1000 players better than Beckham. I wouldn't go so far, its probably more like 100. 

Beckham looks impressive when has a few yards a space to deliver a world class ball. There isn't a more consistent crosser of the ball in the world. His freekicks appears to have dried up but ut he could still play a good long ball.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 12:38:39 PM »
his form seems to have picked up to the end of the season, he definitely needs to feel like 'the man' to establish himself on the pitch. I remember watching games where he was not necessarily playing wing for manu but a bit more central and dat man was just spraying passes all over the place with such accuracy.He have real talent, as for his free kicks, i believe its just a bit more predictable now he should try for a bit of variety to catch keepers again.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 10:43:29 PM »
a spot the ball competition for the physics poengs - you have to know about the same effects on the bending to figure out how throws work they say.  I think they have a coupe of lame prizes.

http://physicsweb.org/spot-the-ball/

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 05:04:35 AM »

thansks for the read

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 11:31:57 AM »
or if ur david beckham..English.

Offline FOOTIECHICK

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 01:17:28 PM »
dat is true de man is not necessarily overrated.he does what he has to do with the right talent up front to benefit,dwight yorke,van nistelrooy(although de latter is apoacher)et al.he also throws away lots of goals with poor control.in the last world cup qualifier he threw away too gilt -edged chances when clear on goal.imagine what he could do with proper control.he go real rip,but time is not on his side.

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 01:20:14 PM »
cool, going and try ah ting soon

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 01:28:52 PM »
I was trying to explain da same thing to a fellah in St James de other day!  ::)
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>