May 28, 2024, 11:46:02 PM

Author Topic: Puma feud to play out at World Cup  (Read 5720 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Puma feud to play out at World Cup
« on: April 23, 2006, 07:36:25 PM »
I never read all the history of this rivalry. Serious stuff:

Puma vs Adidas: Return of the battle of the boots
By Ruth Elkins (Independent)

The World Cup will see the rekindling of a feud between two of the world's leading sportswear brands. Brothers Rudi and Adi Dassler, the founders of Puma and Adidas, fell out six decades ago. Their home town still bears the scars today

Published: 24 April 2006

"What, exactly, are you looking for?" asks the nervy middle-aged woman at Herzogenaurach's tourist information office. She is really very nervy. Probably because she knows that what most who come to this north Bavarian town are looking for is a fight. But not any old fight.

There is only one feud in Herzogenaurach worthy of mention and it's between Adidas and Puma. Founded in the town by two warring brothers, the international sportswear giants have been based here since the 1940s, and their age-old rivalry is legendary.

And, with less than two months to go until the World Cup in Germany, the battle is unparalleled in its intensity. To kit out the winning World Cup team is the ultimate prize for any sports manufacturer. Companies spend billions each year sponsoring the top stars and the most popular teams at football tournaments all over the world in an attempt to raise their brand's profile.

Some believe the firm that wins the sponsorship battle on home turf will be crowned the outright winner in Herzogenaurach's decade-long sports shoe war. Others say, whatever happens, it will just make the one-upmanship worse. Adidas is kitting out six teams. Puma, long regarded as the underdog in the fraternal war, is quietly claiming that it has already won, since it has 12 teams on side.

"Some of the stories you hear are just mind-blowing," says Filip Trulsson, marketing manager of team sports at Puma. The Swedish-born 33-year-old has a Scandinavian sanguinity about him, and a detachment from local politics that has probably prevented him from going mad during the eight years he has spent working in this conservative countryside town. "Puma people not marrying Adidas people, Adidas and Puma gangs in the schools, pubs loyal to one firm refusing to serve workers from the other, it's all gone on here," he said, shaking his head. "But there are a lot more international people here nowadays. I think the locals take it all far more seriously than the foreigners do."

Herzogenaurach has been described as "the town of bent necks," as no local would start a conversation with another without first looking down to check which firm's shoes they were wearing. The town managed to spawn two local rival football teams with pitches not more than 100 metres from each other - RSV is sponsored by Adidas, FC Herzogenaurach by Puma.

Then Mr Trulsson remembers something else. "Wait until you see the graves," he says. "Man, those brothers must have really hated each other." On the edge of town, in Herzogenaurach's small sunny cemetery, the graves of Adolf and Rudolf Dassler could not be further apart from one another. Even in death, it seems, they couldn't bear to be together.

Born into a family of cobblers, Adolf and Rudolf Dassler were not always at odds. In the 1920s, Adi and Rudi, as they were more commonly known, worked happily side by side at the Gebrüder Dassler Schuhfabrik (Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory).

Adolf developed some studs, business boomed under the Nazis and by the 1936 Olympics Jesse Owens was running in Dassler spikes. But by the fall of the Third Reich the fraternal relationship was in tatters. "We will probably never know the real reason why Adi and Rudi fell out," sighs Ernst Dittrich, the head of Herzogenaurach's town archive. "It was like a marriage that goes terribly, terribly sour."

Elderly residents in this 13th century town still gossip that the brothers split because Adi slept with Rudi's wife, that the two wives hated each other, that Rudi fathered Adi's son and that Rudi - the less successful entrepreneur of the pair - had his hands in the petty-cash box.

The most likely snapping point came from a thoughtless comment made one night in 1943 as the two brothers and their wives slept in the family air raid shelter. "There come those pig dogs again!" raved Adi as his brother clambered down the steps. From that moment, no one could convince Rudi that Adi had been talking about the RAF bombers, not about him.

Rudi's bitterness increased as he was shipped off to an American prisoner of war camp and Adi carried on running the family business without him. In 1948 Rudi returned and set up his own factory on the other side of the river, now Puma, taking loyal staff with him.

There were varying successes on both sides as Herzogenaurach's two shoemaking companies grew. Although Puma still claims it invented the removable football boot stud, Adi Dassler and his Adidas company is credited with winning the 1954 World Cup for Germany by providing the team with them.

But Rudi scored points against his brother when Pele won the 1962 World Cup for Brazil - in Puma boots.

The pair threw ludicrous amounts of money at absurd court battles. In 1958, Rudi Dassler and Puma took out an injunction to prevent Adi marketing Adidas stock as "the best sports shoes in the world". The court ruled in Rudi's favour but gave Adi a week to remove all advertising. In the seven days he had left, Adi convinced an Adidas-loyal fishmonger to paste the slogan on his fish van and park it outside Rudi's office window.

The tit-for-tat ethic continued through the generations. In the early 1980s, a young Boris Becker knocked on the door of Adidas with a Romanian manager, hoping for a sponsorship deal. When Adidas boss, Horst Dassler, refused, his manager, Ion Tiriac, drove straight over the river to Puma and demanded a meeting. "Go on," he taunted Rudi's son, Armin Dassler, who was the Puma chief. "Take on Boris. That'll really make your cousin mad." It was all Armin needed to hear to sign the then unknown Becker under a £100,000 advertising contract.

In the Cafe Rommelt, a group hunched over their beers are all wearing Adidas; workers at both firms enjoy large discounts on the newest gear, and most of Herzogenaurach's 25,000 burghers amble among the ancient wood-beamed houses and cobbled streets in tracksuits.

But the younger generation hanging around the pedestrian precinct don't appear to choose their friends according to the shoes they wear any more. One teenager, licking an ice-cream, wears Puma. His friend, who is kicking a bench, has got a pair of Adidas on, and the third, clearly a town rebel, wears Nike. Secrets are no longer swapped at the bus stop by the unfaithful, but designers who move between Puma and Adidas are all forced to take extended leave before starting their new jobs, to prevent them taking corporate secrets with them.

At managerial levels, the atmosphere has also relaxed. "One of Rudi Dassler's grandsons now works as a legal consultant for Adidas," says Trulsson. "Something like that, even a few years back, would have unimaginable. It would have been like ... er, like one of George Bush's grandsons working for Saddam Hussein."

Puma has certainly scored points against Adidas in Germany's World Cup year. The Adidas stripes may be adorning the official World Cup balls, and Adidas is an official Fifa partner, but Puma's shares have rocketed, with sales expected to top €2.3bn (£1.6bn) this year due to an increase in the purchase of soccer goods.

Puma is the smaller company, with about 4,000 employees worldwide compared with Adidas's 17,000, and its sales fall far short of those of its competitor, but Puma's profit margins are better. Investors at Adidas have raised concerns about the company's future, after its recent acquisition of Reebok.

Back in Herzogenaurach, the locals certainly know how to exploit the battle of the brands. "Some painters who were commissioned to paint the outside of the Puma building rolled up to put up the scaffolding all wearing Adidas shoes," recalls Ernst Dittrich, the town archivist. "Within minutes, the boss had them all inside and gave them the latest Puma trainers to put on instead. It worked so well that they went and turned up at Adidas the next month wearing Puma."

It's just a pity, says Ernst Dittrich, that Herzogenaurach will probably never get a much-wished for joint shoe museum. "I doubt the two companies would ever be able to agree on a common history," he sighs.

Fifa says the World Cup is "arguably the biggest media event on the planet" and Adidas clearly wants to win. "Adidas has long been the world market leader in football," said a spokeswoman, Kristin Koopmann, with more than a hint of Schadenfreude. "We might be only kitting out six teams, but as you can see, they are the teams with the best chances." The company is also sponsoring Argentina, France, Japan, Spain, and Trinidad and Tobago. Yet Puma may yet have the last laugh. The last World Cup final was watched by a billion people and a similarly huge audience is expected when this year's tournament concludes in Berlin in July.

Perhaps Germany will win and Adidas will claim victory. But Puma has already moved on, taking the competition out of Herzogenaurach, out of Germany and out of Europe to a different continent. It is investing heavily in African football and supplies kit to eight African football associations. The next World Cup will be held in South Africa in 2010. Payback time? The Puma people flash quietly confident smiles. The company's long-term aim is to become the "most desirable sports-lifestyle company on the market".

High above Herzogenaurach, a young woman is heaving large bags of purchases out of the Adidas factory outlet. "I don't know what the fuss is about," she says. "At the end of the day, shoes are just shoes aren't they?"

And football? "Well that's just a game isn't it?"

Two empires head to head

ADIDAS:

Founded: 1949

HQ: Herzogenaurach, Germany

Employees: 17,023 (2004 figure)

Pre-tax profits in 2005: €768m (£531m)

Sales in 2005: €6.9bn (£4.8bn)

2006 World Cup teams sponsored by Adidas:

Germany, France, Spain, Japan, Trinidad and Tobago, Argentina

PUMA:

Founded: 1948

HQ: Herzogenaurach, Germany

Employees: 3,910 (2004)

Pre-tax profits in 2005: €286m (£197m)

Sales in 2005: €2.4bn (£1.7bn)

2006 World Cup teams sponsored by Puma:

Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Iran, Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Ivory Coast, Paraguay, Switzerland, Togo, Tunisia, Angola

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Puma v Adidas: Rudi and Adi Dassler
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 08:12:23 PM »
what you does wear E-Man ???
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

heh, my current pair of boots is adidas, but I think the first pair I had as a kid was Puma. I'm avoiding the rivalry completely with my sneakers though, I think I got Avia right now, but to me like the lady says "a shoe is a shoe" I don't really study the brand.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 08:15:13 AM »
Adidas is the bigger brand....but Puma can always say the had DIEGO....

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »
Puma was big in the 80s.  Remember dem long-tongue Puma boots.  That was the thing.  They are slowly making a recovery, and have made strong inroads in Eastern Europe and Africa, where they sponsor a lot of national teams.  Right now though, I am an Addies man though.  I think Puma is behind dem when it comes to the quality of their football boots.

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »
da article loooooooooooooooooooong but rel interesting & kicksy!!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 12:59:50 PM »
"the town of bent necks,"  and the town rebel wearing nike lol

Real kicksy.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 01:01:50 PM »
 :rotfl:

adidas is de flik

puma is shit

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 01:57:53 PM »
I personally find their botth are always superior to nike but nike always nicer on de eyes.... if these two compaines adi and puma join together they could rule football globally cuz they already have reebok nobody but nike tuh challenge them and its only a small percentage of the world wear nike

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 07:20:27 PM »
I personally find their botth are always superior to nike but nike always nicer on de eyes.... if these two compaines adi and puma join together they could rule football globally cuz they already have reebok nobody but nike tuh challenge them and its only a small percentage of the world wear nike

Yeah boy.... if yuh buy a Copa's... yuh never want to buy another kinda boots again....

Offline doh_stick

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »
adidas all de way..but a suede pumas does still look real bad... :devil:

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 08:08:03 PM »
adidas all de way..but a suede pumas does still look real bad... :devil:

Yeah man.. get tie up.. I see some wicked "throw-back" pumas.. If I get a red, white and black one.. i'll rock it in Germany...
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 09:47:04 AM »
I guess both of these companies will have a serious interest in the T&T v Paraguay game since they are each kitting out both teams.

I used to wear Puma spikes and Adidas football boots. Now I'm a big Diadora fan...more stylist(cyar beat dem Italians when it comes to style)

Nice read!! Thanks e-man.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »
By Ulf Laessing

FRANKFURT, June 5 (Reuters) - Argentina versus Ivory Coast will not be a must-see World Cup game for most Germans but in the small town of Herzogenaurach a decades-old feud will be played out on the pitch when they meet on Saturday in Hamburg.

Argentina are sponsored by Adidas while Ivory Coast are backed by Puma and the town is home to both global sportswear makers -- bitter rivals founded by two brothers who fell out almost 60 years ago and never made up.

Located deep in the Bavarian province and without a train station or motorway exit, Herzogenaurach, population 24,000, is know as the 'town of downward glances', where the shoes you wear are a statement of which side you belong to.

For decades, life in the town has been defined by the two sportswear brands, making some places no go areas for people with the "wrong" shoes.
"There were always the ones who supported Adidas and others favouring Puma," said Hans Lang, mayor of the town.
An Adidas employee put it more brutally: "You would be fired immediately if you showed up in Puma shoes".
So strict is the line that locals claim even marriages between Adidas and Puma families were rare until the 1970s.

Until the 1980s, children usually chose to join the firm where their father already worked, separating the city into Adidas and Puma families who visited their own pubs or played for their clubs.

Lothar Matthaeus, Germany's 1990 World Cup-winning captain, started his career at the town's "Puma" club, FC Herzogenaurach, because his father was a janitor at Puma's headquarters.
He even remained loyal to the company when he got his first professional contract at Borussia Moenchengladbach, one of Puma's advertising partners.

LAUNDRY ROOM
Adolf and Rudolf Dassler, who died in the 1970s, started making sporting shoes in their mothers's laundry room in the 1920s.

Their "Gebrueder Dassler Schuhfabrik", founded in 1924, supplied athletes at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin but was closed after the brothers fell out in 1948.
They founded their own firms -- Adi setting up Adidas while Rudolf founded Puma -- and their headquarters are still separated by just a few km.

Before Adidas moved to a former barracks on the outskirts, Puma was only a stone's throw away across the river Aurach in the town centre.
No conclusive reason has been found to solve the mystery of the row between the brothers although theories involving wives or politics have been expounded in several books.

The most recent publication, 'Three Stripes versus Puma' by Barbara Smit, suggests tensions were exacerbated by the Second World War, highlighted by an incident when Adolf and his wife climbed into a bomb shelter that Rudolf and his family were already in during an Allied air attack in 1943.

"The dirty bastards are back again," Adolf said, apparently referring to the planes, but Rudolf thought he meant him and his family.
The two companies have quite different cultures.
Adidas, trying to cultivate its image as market leader for soccer gear, sponsors former world champions such as Argentina, Germany and France.

Puma, which has made inroads into the world of sports lifestyle fashion and aims to come across as a cooler brand, sponsors five African nations.

TENSE BATTLES
Puma, with its leaping cat logo, has 12 World Cup teams under contract and has replaced its larger foe Adidas as the top sponsor at the second-biggest sporting event after the Olympics, which kicks off on June 9 in Berlin.

Only six teams at the month-long tournament will play in Adidas's three-stripes kit because many of its advertising partners, like European champions Greece, failed to qualify.
Competition in the global sporting goods industry is fierce and every match won and lost during the event could affect sales of replica jerseys.

In Herzogenaurach tensions will be running especially high, although they have eased in recent years.
Adidas chief executive Herbert Hainer has even congratulated his Puma counterpart Johen Zeitz for his company's recent success with sports lifestyle fashion.
Remarkably, in a move unthinkable even a decade ago, Adidas has even hired a grandchild of Puma founder Rudolf Dassler as its top legal adviser.
"This stirred some excitement in town but it was also a sign that things have relaxed in daily life," said 65-year-old mayor Lang, who has always lived in the town. "People have mixed up."
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
Re: Puma feud to play out at World Cup
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 10:21:54 PM »
meh brand is adidas, but dey lorse points based on dah uniform dey give we....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 06:02:42 AM »
Eman u right a shoe is a shoe a woman's perspective. Toungue u right 4 giving we that kit they should be shot.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 06:21:15 AM »
Well DAT is ah piece of historical bacchanal....man get horn, wartime prisner...all kinda shoep opera ting oui

real madness
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 07:51:12 AM »
They should have never accepted addidas offer to sponsor us. I went personally to some of there major outlets hear in Washington and Los Vegas and they carried every other teams jersey but not ours.. they are sponsoring at the world cup. Oh and don't talk about that crappy kit they dressed us with as travel suits... they could have done a better job on our kit! I'm so tried of us being the bottom feeder on everything. We should have chosen Puma for our sponsor for all I care!!!!!  Fire for Addidas! ;D
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

truetrini

Adidas versus Pumas..A little History
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 08:51:37 AM »
How Adidas and Puma were born

Adolf "Adi" Dassler                                                                                                  Rudolf Dassler
Pele stopped the referee with a last-second request to tie his shoelaces at the opening whistle of a 1970 World Cup finals match and then knelt down to give millions of television viewers a close-up of his Pumas.

The Brazilian was complying with a request by Puma's representative Hans Henningsen to raise the German sports shoe company's profile after they gave him $120,000 to wear their boots.

The clandestine advertising for Puma was a huge triumph for the company over hated cross-town rivals Adidas in the early days of the war for market supremacy in sports merchandise.

Barbara Smit, a Dutch author and journalist, has spent five years trawling the archives of the Adidas and Puma headquarters in the Bavarian town of Herzogenaurach to research Rudolf and Adolf Dassler -- brothers who started making sports shoes in their mother's laundry room in the 1920s before becoming sport and business giants.

Her new book, Drei Streifen gegen Puma (Three Stripes versus Puma), tracks the remarkable rise of the Dassler brothers during Germany's sport-obsessed 1920s, their cooperation with the Nazis, their ugly post-war split and their hatred-driven competition that created separate empires.

"As embittered rivals, the estranged brothers led their respective companies to the top of the world," Smit wrote.

"Muhammad Ali, Franz Beckenbauer and Zinedine Zidane became legends in the three stripes of Adidas while soccer god Pele...and Boris Becker achieved global fame in Pumas."

FAMILY RIFT

The small Bavarian town of Herzogenaurach, near Nuremburg, is most famous in Germany as the home of the Dassler brothers. Were it not for an extreme case of sibling rivalry, it could have been the home to a sports uber-brand.

Adolf ("Adi") and his brother, Rudolf, started making sports shoes in the 1920s. After a falling out during World War II--the exact nature of which remains as mysterious as it was bitter--the brothers went their separate ways; Adi founding Adidas, and Rudolf establishing Puma in the late 1940s.
The competitiveness between the companies was as intense as the antagonism between the brothers. Germany's 1954 World Cup victory helped establish Adidas as the foremost national sports brand, even though Puma was also building a reputation for innovation.

While the original rivalry remains strong, the rise of external competitors, most notably Nike in the US, has meant a certain arm's length rapprochement has emerged between the corporate cultures. Locals joke that it has now even become acceptable for employees of the two companies to date--almost.

Both brothers died in the 1970s. They are buried at opposite ends of the town's cemetery. Their companies and their descendants carried on the corporate feud, reaching out into sports other than athletics and soccer in search of high-profile endorsement deals; Adidas famously signing boxing great Muhammad Ali, while Puma scored notable success with tennis stars Boris Becker and Martina Navratilova.

But it is Puma's long-standing relationship with Pelé, the greatest-ever soccer player and timeless icon for the sport, which has carried over into this year's advertising effort, aimed at connecting the stars of the present with fans' nostalgia for the game's storied history.

Both German companies are spending extensively on marketing during the World Cup. Puma's impressive profit margins show the company is skillful at getting the most out of its money.

Adidas is the tournament's "official" sportswear supplier, but 12 of the 32 teams in this year's finals will be wearing Puma--including all five qualifiers from Africa, a potential growth market, especially as the 2010 World Cup will be held in South Africa. Eight teams are wearing Nike and six Adidas. Adidas suffered the worst of the three in having teams it sponsors fail to qualify, with both Nigeria and Greece unexpectedly not advancing to the finals.

In the tournament's first "battle of the brands" between Adidas and Puma, Adidas-clad Argentina came out on top, beating the Ivory Coast 2-1 in an exciting game on Saturday night.

Adidas, meanwhile, is providing all the match balls, the design of which has already been criticized by goalkeepers. If that leads to more spectacular goals--like the one Torsten Frings scored for the hosts in the opening game--then most of the huge global TV audience probably won't mind too much.

Both Adidas and Puma have recovered from their brushes with disaster as publicly owned companies in the vibrant $17-billion worldwide sports shoe industry, but only after long and messy separations from their family owners.

"I was fascinated by the mixture of this incredible family rift, the business feud and the sporting triumphs, which forged two mighty brands recognised all over the world," Smit said of her book which also draws on U.S. intelligence documents and more than 200 interviews around the world.

The two firms are based in Herzogenaurach, a town of 23,200 that lies 20 km outside Nuremberg, even though most production was long ago moved to low-cost countries. Hand-made shoes for some big names, such as David Beckham, are still produced in Germany.

Mark Spitz was en route to winning seven gold medals in 1972 when he was approached by Horst Dassler, the son of Adidas founder Adi Dassler, in Munich's Olympic village. Dassler asked the American swimmer to wear Adidas at the medal ceremonies.

"The problem was only that they would probably be covered by the loose-fitting warm-up pants that swimmers wear," Smit wrote.

"Dassler told Spitz he should carry the shoes in his hands instead. Spitz got carried away by Dassler's enthusiasm and held up a pair of Adidas 'Gazelles' as he waved to the crowd." She said Spitz had some explaining to do to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) after that.

Another notable moment in the Adidas v Puma battle came at the 1960 Olympics. Smit said it was the first time a prominent Olympian got money for wearing shoes.

"Rudolf Dassler opened this Pandora's box in 1960 by paying German sprinter Armin Hary money to wear Pumas in the 100 metres final," Smit says. Hary had worn Adidas before and asked Adi for payment, but Adidas rejected this.

Hary won gold in Pumas, but then laced up Adidas for the medals ceremony -- to the shock of both Adi and Rudolf.

"With a keen business acumen, Hary hoped to cash in from both with the trick," she writes. "But Adi was so outraged he banned the Olympic champion."

EARLY STARTERS

Rudolf and Adi Dassler learned at an early age the enormous impact that gold medals had on their shoe business.

When U.S. sprinter Jesse Owens got to Germany for Berlin's 1936 Olympics, Adi Dassler drove from Bavaria on one of the world's first motorways to the Olympic village. There he found Owens, unpacked a suitcase filled with spikes and persuaded him to try them. Owens won four gold medals in Dassler shoes.

"Owens's success cemented the good reputation of Dassler shoes among the world's most famous sportsmen," Smit writes. "Letters from around the world landed on the brothers' desks, and the trainers of other national teams were all interested in their shoes."

Business boomed and the Dasslers were selling 200,000 pairs of shoes each year before World War Two.

The war exacerbated tensions between the two brothers and their wives. Although both Dasslers joined the Nazi party and signed their letters with a "Heil Hitler" salutation, Rudolf was a more devoted Nazi, according to Smit.

The origins of the split between Rudolf and Adi are hard to pinpoint but an Allied bomb attack on Herzogenaurach in 1943 illustrated the growing tension. Adi and his wife climbed into a bomb shelter that Rudolf and his family were already in.

"The dirty bastards are back again," Adi said, apparently referring to the Allied war planes. Rudolf was convinced his brother meant him and his family. The damage was never repaired.

In 1948, the brothers split their business. Adolf called his firm 'Adidas'; Rudolf called his 'Ruda' before changing to 'Puma'.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 08:53:13 AM by truetrini »

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 12:02:11 PM »
As an avid supporter of african football.............puma is meh brand now

nike was d ting .......it still is .........but i would much rather puma

adidas.....not dat much

d new kings real comfy.....lol

d only adidas i does wear is d tnt kit

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 12:37:46 PM »
Big dawg... I already sported my red white and black suede pumas in Germany.. They real nice and comfortable too... My first boots was a puma gold, I now have a diadora, but have no real favorite. But the most comfortable running shoe I ever had was puma....

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 02:18:49 PM »

that was a great story  :beermug:

too bad i does wear nike   :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 02:26:57 PM »