May 23, 2024, 05:35:23 PM

Author Topic: Lawrence has no fears about facing Craig Bellamy  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lawrence has no fears about facing Craig Bellamy
« on: July 15, 2006, 08:58:12 AM »
Lawrence has no fears about facing Craig Bellamy
By Darren Devine (Western Mail)

WREXHAM centre-back Dennis Lawrence is preparing to take on another of the game's biggest names after returning from his World Cup tussle with the England strike force.

Lawrence and the his Trinidadian team-mates kept England at bay for 83 minutes before Peter Crouch gave Sven Goran Eriksson's team the lead.

And Lawrence will face Liverpool's new Welsh ace Craig Bellamy when the Red Dragons meet the Anfield club in a pre-season friendly at the Racecourse today.

But the 6ft 7ins Lawrence will not resume his tussle with Crouch, who, like the rest of Liverpool's World Cup contingent, doesn't report back for training until next week.

After coming so close to silencing the likes of Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard, Lawrence will not be fazed by the prospect of locking horns with the lightning-quick Bellamy.

Though World Cup debutants Trinidad & Tobago failed to score in Germany, they featured in one of the competition's biggest upsets when they held Sweden to a 0-0 draw.

Substitute goalkeeper Shaka Hislop pulled off a string of impressive second-half saves to deny the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Henrik Larsson.

Wrexham manager Denis Smith said Lawrence's World Cup displays show he is more than capable of competing with the best Liverpool have to offer.

The Wrexham boss said, though the game is a friendly, every player will be looking to set down a marker for the new season.

"They'll be giving as much as they can. The start of the season is not far away so they will all be going for it."

Smith believes Bellamy's electric pace and strong goalscoring form for Blackburn last season can make the 27-year-old a huge hit at Anfield.

The player arrives at Liverpool with a chequered past, having left Newcastle United when the club's former manager Graeme Souness accused him of feigning injury after being asked to play in a different position.

But Smith believes the player will know that a manager like Rafael Benitez will not tolerate out-of-control egos.

He said, "He's going into a club where they won't stand for any nonsense and he's bright enough to know he's got to grow up.

"When you sign players you have to decide whether their talent is enough to carry them. If their talent is that good, you just deal with the other part of it the best way you can."

But the Wrexham boss said though questions may have been raised about this temperament there is no doubting the player's ability.

"Bellamy is a nightmare for defenders because he wanders off your shoulder and gets in behind you and he can finish.

"He never stops making runs and it's like he's got two sets of lungs. He's a great signing."

Smith believes the signing of Bellamy and Chilean winger Mark Gonzales will enable the Anfield club to consolidate their position in the top four.

"They're going to be in the top four, but getting close to Chelsea is the problem. But Chelsea might get injuries.

"They got through last season without their goalkeeper (Carlo Cudicini), John Terry and Frank Lampard picking up any injuries.

"If those three go out for a long time, it might not be so easy for them."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence has no fears about facing Craig Bellamy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
Updated: July 15, 2006 Soccernet.com
Wrexham 0-2 Liverpool: Debut goal for Bellamy

Craig Bellamy got the goal he desperately wanted on his Liverpool debut.

The striker drove through on the left early in the second half to send a left-footed effort wide of substitute goalkeeper Michael Ingham.

• Bellamy delighted to play with Fowler

It was a big day for Bellamy but also for Wrexham. Their 19-month battle to save the club is coming to a successful end and they will pick up £100,000 from this match after Liverpool waved their cut of the gate.

Liverpool had Salif Diao and Florent Sinama-Pongolle on show but a host of youngsters were given a run-out with Anfield's World Cup players still on holiday.

The game was delayed for 15 minutes to allow a near-capacity 11,335 crowd into the Racecourse Ground, and they saw Liverpool cruise into the lead after six minutes.

Paul Anderson, star of the FA Youth Cup final victory, met a John Arne Riise cross on the volley to crash the ball past Michael Jones from 12 yards.

New signing Gabriel Paletta played the first half and a side sprinkled with youth were doing their best to impress manager Rafael Benitez.

But Wrexham, who will come out of administration on Tuesday and had four new signings of their own on display, produced a spirited response. Mark Jones and Chris Llewellyn both went close, but keeper Jones was thankful for a benevolent referee - Mike Jones - who gave him a ticking-off for handling outside the box. The offence would have meant a red card in league action.

Bellamy almost punished a Llewellyn error before being one of only three Liverpool players not to be substituted at the break.

The reason was pretty clear - the Welshman wanted to score in front of the Welsh fans - and once that had been achieved eight minutes after the break, Benitez's sentimentality deserted him and off came the £6million striker.

Sinama-Pongolle, who may well figure this season if Benitez fails to sign a right-sided player, looked lively and determined.

Bellamy delighted to play with Fowler

Craig Bellamy revealed his delight at teaming up with his hero Robbie Fowler - and thanked the Anfield legend for his first Liverpool goal.

Bellamy scored early in the second half in the 2-0 friendly win at Wrexham, and it was Fowler who made the goal.

Bellamy said: 'I've admired Robbie for years, he is a great player and he set me up with my goal when he lifted a very good ball into my stride for me to run onto and score.

'It means a lot to me to be on the same side as him. I have played against him before but being in the same team is a great honour.'

Bellamy admitted he knew he only had 10 minutes of the second period to get the goal he craved.

He said: 'The boss (Rafael Benitez) told me before the game I would be on for about an hour, that I had just a few minutes after the break before I was substituted.

'So it was pretty special to get that goal, I know it's only a friendly, but it was good to score in front of the Liverpool fans. I'm one myself.

'They have taken to me well, but then Liverpool fans always give their new players plenty of support, that's what they are like.

'I know I've been given a 15-goal target by the boss, but I don't think pre-season ones count! But I expect to score goals, and that's what I aim to do.'

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wrexham- Liverpool Highlights coming up in a few mins
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 05:57:44 PM »
On Sky Sports news- FSC....Might catch a glimpse of D. Lawrence...Tune In !!!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wrexham- Liverpool Highlights coming up in a few mins
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 07:33:44 PM »
Wam Kicker, way de highlights?
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »
Boy the announcer on Sky Sports News say highlights of Liverpool's 2-0 win over Wrexham comin' up, and they show a clip of Bellamy scorin' bursin' de net........all of a sudden, Sky sports news get cut off, and dey bring some EPL Classic (Manchester Derby)....steupsss.

I was lil upset bout that. Sorry for the false Alarm.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 09:20:12 PM »
Boy the announcer on Sky Sports News say highlights of Liverpool's 2-0 win over Wrexham comin' up, and they show a clip of Bellamy scorin' bursin' de net........all of a sudden, Sky sports news get cut off, and dey bring some EPL Classic (Manchester Derby)....steupsss.

I was lil upset bout that. Sorry for the false Alarm.

steeeeupppssss all yuh know how to chain up man yes !!!  ;D
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Liverpool's Benitez admits Trezeguet interest
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 06:26:26 PM »
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is interested in the players affected by the matchfixing scandal, with David Trezeguet among his targets. 

Following the relegation of Juventus, Fiorentina and Lazio and with AC Milan losing their Champions League status, many of Serie A's best players should soon become available for transfer.

And Benitez confirmed that his club were keeping a close eye on proceedings in Italy.

"There are a lot of good players in these teams and they interest us," he declared.

"We do not have much money so we must use our imagination in the transfer market, I still hope to bring in two or three more new players."

The Reds boss also stated his interest in Juventus striker David Trezeguet, despite his lack of action at the World Cup.

"All the Juventus players are good, including Trezeguet.

"He didn't play much in the World Cup but that is because France have so many good forwards."

Benitez has offloaded Fernando Morientes to Valencia and Djibril Cisse has been loaned to Marseille, and the acquistion of Trezeguet would certainly bolster his strikeforce.

But the Frenchman is not the only player Benitez has been following, with reports linking Liverpool with his team-mate Mauro Camoranesi.

"The players will be a better price now than they would have been three months ago,"

The imaginative option from Benitez's point of view would clearly be a season-long loan for a player of Trezeguet's quality as Juventus brace themselves for the loss of several key players in the wake of their demotion from Serie A in the match fixing scandal that has rocked Italian football.

With Benitez also looking to off-load Salif Diao - who played in Saturday's 2-0 friendly win at Wrexham - and full-back Djimi Traore, more cash could soon be added to his transfer fund.

But he is already getting a good return from £6million signing Craig Bellamy, who scored on his debut at the Racecourse ground.

Bellamy revealed his excitement at soon to be linking up with the Liverpool's top stars when they return this week from delayed holidays to join pre-season training.

He said: "There's a lot more to come from me, and there's a lot more players to come back in to the squad. But from my point of view, yes, there's plenty more from me.

"There's so many to return to training, Gerrard, Carragher, Crouch, Alonso, Luis Garcia, Kewell, Sissoko, the list of really fine players is almost endless.

"And even a couple more of the new boys, Gonzalez and Aurelio. Everywhere you look here there's class and quality."

The boyhood Liverpool fan is also confident of the season ahead.

He said: "I feel that with the manager and coaching staff that we have, and the amount of top class players around, this could be a really good season for us. That's my aim, and to get my share of the goals and to help make them too.

"We step up our training this week, there will be more emphasise on power and speed. So far we have done stamina work.

"That's going to be good for me because that's what my game is all about. I hope I can take it on from this first game, and get more goals too. I was certainly pleased with the one at Wrexham on my debut."

He added: "It's been an amazing couple of weeks for me, and I just want it to continue like that. The fans took to me straight away, and I appreciate that, but then Liverpool fans always give their own players - particularly new ones - tremendous support.

"I expect goals from myself, that's what I will be trying to do right from the start."
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool's Benitez admits Trezeguet interest
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 07:39:06 PM »
lord benitez doh waste yuh money dat shit hound overated
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool's Benitez admits Trezeguet interest
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 07:46:28 PM »
He does the do at the club level.  I think he would do well in the EPL.  All of a sudden though, you not hearing the name Kuyt on the lips of many managers.  AH wonder what changed that.

Offline doublet750

• Hero Warrior
  • mi nuevo nombre es dinho mi vida es joga bonito
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 07:46:36 AM »
kuyt was a man with a mission beofre the world cup in qualifiers...but this world cup van nistlerooy and robben steal he spot luight...that coupled with the early exit means you eh hear he name much.....id love to see some juve names in the epl

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 10:08:34 AM »
Bellamy scored in dis game. Tallest played in de last 20 mins of the game when Liverpool was 2-0 up...he get de loudest standing ovation from de fans.  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

1]; } ?>