June 03, 2024, 11:41:33 PM

Author Topic: Want To Be a Football Pro?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Want To Be a Football Pro?
« on: September 11, 2006, 08:27:19 AM »
Thought some of our young players might have an interest in reading this article, especially the part on what clubs are looking for.

Want to be a football pro? 

It takes hard work to reach the top

You've probably dreamt of winning the Premiership, scoring the winning goal in the Cup final or leading your country at the World Cup.

But have you really got what it takes to follow in the footsteps of your favourite star?

We decided to find out what it takes to become a professional footballer.

From getting spotted, to joining an academy, to coping with rejection - read on to find the information you need.

GETTING NOTICED
Some clubs still hold trials, or talent days, but these are becoming a thing of the past.

Instead, most clubs now have a vast network in place that helps them pinpoint the best young talent in their area.

Liverpool's youth players are put through their paces 

Many run community schemes which allow them to keep in touch with the people who run the sport at grassroots level.

They liaise with local schools and with the managers of county or district teams.

They also have scouts who will be out and about watching matches all over the country and reporting back to them.

If you're good enough, generally they'll find you.

WHAT ARE CLUBS LOOKING FOR?
Roger Skyrme, a scout with Fulham FC, reveals exactly what he looks for in a young player

It doesn't take a scout to pick out the best player on a pitch. Anyone can spot raw talent, but I'm looking for more than that.

You'll rarely see me with my eyes on the ball during a match - I need to find out about a player's character.

So I'll be busy looking at things like their position on the pitch, and whether they're prepared to get stuck in and help their team-mates out.

A player must have the right attitude.

It's ultra competitive out there, and very few players make it at the top level.

To succeed, you've got to have something special in your make-up that will help you rise above the rest.

I'll often arrange to meet a young player's family and find out a bit more about his background before deciding if I'm going to recommend him to a club.

You should make sure you have every chance of being spotted by playing at the highest possible standard.

You'll probably start off playing for your school team or local club side.

If you're any good you should progress to your district or county team and maybe even represent your country at school or youth level.

Offline ttbecks

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Want To Be a Football Pro?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 09:01:14 AM »
Give us the ttproleague version 1st, because to get into england you suppose to play 75% of your national team's internationals in the last 2 years, to be given a work permit.

Find a european country that is not a part of the EU, and post on  how to get into the system there, thats what arsenal does with the players who didnt play for their country that amount of times (eboue).

Clubs might be affiliated with a team outside the EU, (Arsenal and Grasshopper) so it would be easy to bring the player in after spending som time with that club.

tandt i salute you

Offline ttbecks

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:18:34 AM »
arsenal actually hav a relationship with beveren not grasshopper
tandt i salute you

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 09:27:39 AM »
thanks for the article baygo boy  :beermug:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline morgz

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 09:52:13 AM »
hey great article brother hope the youths who have intentions/aspirations of going to the next level add this to the files.

A lot of talented players from tnt dont make it sometimes because coaches out side like to see what your doing when you dont have the ball at your feet.

so thats an important factor to note the TTFF via the PFL and all our other leagues  should also attempt to have a net work like this put into place

All in all great read :beermug:

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:04:31 AM »
Give us the ttproleague version 1st, because to get into england you suppose to play 75% of your national team's internationals in the last 2 years, to be given a work permit.

Find a european country that is not a part of the EU, and post on  how to get into the system there, thats what arsenal does with the players who didnt play for their country that amount of times (eboue).

Clubs might be affiliated with a team outside the EU, (Arsenal and Grasshopper) so it would be easy to bring the player in after spending som time with that club.

Becks, playing in other European countries is a matter of finding a club that wants you, the amount of caps don't matter as much, it's about getting seen. The main reason why most of our players are going to England is simply because of the fact that they are willing to pay more for our players than most, connections, and language. The following article is rather long, but it is a clear example:

By recently signing with FC Nordsjælland of the Danish SAS Ligæn, 20-year old Heath Pearce joined an impressive list of former University of Portland players that gave up their college eligibility to sign abroad that includes Conor Casey and Steve Cherundolo.

Hoping to emulate the success of his fellow Pilot alumni - who, through their play in Europe, have established themselves with the U.S. National Team - the Modesto, California native has begun the journey by realizing one of his many goals.

"My dream has always been to play in Europe," Pearce told YA from Denmark.

After much deliberation, Pearce inked a six month contract to join Nordsjælland in the middle of a relegation battle. While many would question signing with a team fighting against a drop to the Danish second division, Pearce says he thought his decision through, taking all possibilities into account.

"With relegation in mind - which I hope we don't have to face - I know that I am in control of my future and career," he reasoned. "As many would assume, it's not a very secure deal. But because of other clubs' interest in me - as well as trusting my own abilities - I think that signing the short term deal was the right decision."

Pearce's confidence in his decision comes from experience; this isn't his first time in Europe - or even with Nordsjælland, with whom he spent time last year while looking for a contract in Europe. Unfortunately, things were not meant to be last summer and he eventually returned to Portland for his junior year.

"I was originally in contact with FCN by a means of a last resort to have somewhere of a quality level to train last summer and trial," the youngster says. "I was in Scotland preparing a trial with Rangers, but because of my inability to attain a work permit, I decided to leave there and try to go somewhere that I had a chance of playing at if all went well."

"I felt that mentally, physically and professionally that I was ready to push into the professional arena, but because of the time frame and the market window closing, I was unable to come to terms with FCN."

However, Pearce has no regrets over the return to collegiate action as continued preparation for an eventual European career. Indeed, one of the reasons why he chose Portland was its strong reputation for encouraging players to turn pro and what he calls their "professional environment".

"Spending one more season at the U. of P. helped me further prepare for a professional soccer career," he explained. "The main focus [at Portland] is on developing players, not on winning championships."

"If they would have kept all of their players instead of having them turn pro, they would have won more championships."

Like many talented players at the youth level, Pearce originally played in the middle of the park, but he was molded into a left back during his time in US Soccer's Youth Residency program. In his final season at Portland, he returned to the offense to play as an attacking midfielder after playing his first two seasons for the Pilots at left back.

Despite the attractive ability to play multiple positions, the Bradenton product has no doubt what his preferred position is. "(Former U.S. youth coach) John Ellinger saw me as most effective at left back and said that would be the best position for me at the next level," he recalled. "I see myself from here on out as a left back. I feel that left back will be my career position."

After another year of developing his skills at the college level, Pearce knew that it was time to try the professional ranks. He didn't focus solely on European possibilities, giving MLS a chance as well. When the January transfer window opened, Pearce was able to explore his European options and ended up coming back to Nordsjælland.

"There was interest from some Bundesliga clubs, but also because of the time of finishing school and the European break and transfer windows we were not able to complete anything," he revealed. "I was in discussions with MLS, but the interest died down and I was told that the lack of interest in the end was a matter of poor location - meaning teams did not find their way to the northwest."

But the question remains: why exactly Denmark and FCN? For Pearce, it seems that the chance to get quality playing time at his favored position seems to have been one of the overriding factors.

"I chose FCN because of their dire need for a left back, which made me know that I'd have a chance of seeing the field right away," he commented. "I didn't feel that taking a bigger offer would be smart because I could never see the field or develop at the rate I am here."

And for Pearce, that development is what he hopes will lead him to his ultimate goal - representing the USMNT. Although he toiled at Bradenton for two years and has played with the U-20's under new ChivasUSA boss Thomas Rongen, he has never played in a world championship, narrowly missing the final roster for both the U-17 and U-20 World Cups.

"With the U-17's, I had a broken leg and was on the bubble," Pearce remembered. "With the U-20's, I got mono in my last camp with them and then was overlooked for the tournament by Thomas Rongen, who believed it was chemistry issue with the team."

However, instead of being feeling bitter about the snubs, Pearce uses the missed opportunities as motivation to improve enough to be able to represent the U.S. on the world's biggest stage. He is happy beginning his career at FC Nordsjælland, but is also looking to the future and believes that the playing time offered to him in Denmark will expedite his progress.

"I have a yet to prove myself at the highest level internationally at each age group, which pushes me everyday to be better and more prepared if the time should come," he said. "I think that my signing in Denmark was the best decision I could have made at this point."

"I think that anytime you're in a first 11 with a top division team in Europe, regardless of my team's position or league, that it will always help you develop - and, more importantly, get noticed."

"[It] gives me the best chance of developing and hopefully becoming an eventual world class left back."

Optimistic about his future, Pearce hopes that he can play consistently and continue to improve. The youngster has an unflappable confidence that he can eventually establish himself as an international caliber player - and get to represent his country at the highest level.

"I have much to prove to the soccer world and hope to be the next left back for the U.S. Men's National team."

Offline ttbecks

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:59:22 AM »
ok i understand
tandt i salute you

1]; } ?>