June 07, 2024, 04:42:02 PM

Author Topic: Do you have to have at least seen your team play at home to be a true fan?  (Read 3264 times)

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I know this might be a controversial topic, but I see the passion with which some men support some of these club teams and I wonder how many of these people have ever been to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, The Emirates or the Kop.  How many of you know all the songs and the chants. Know what it feels like to hear the roar when they score?

Bottom line. Can you truly be a fan if u've never been to a home game and supported the team for your entire life via tele?

p.s I for one acknowledge talented individual footballers from all over the world, but there is no club/unit that I support to the death other than the Trinidad & Tobago National team, grown up with them, been to many more home and away games than I can remember and definitely know what the roar feels like when we score.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:03:05 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
when is game day and you like ah crack head..desperate for ah video or audio link (man does even be happy with a text update link.. hitting the refresh on your browser every second)..

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
Yep, I doh have coin to make ah MAN U game so ah stuck here  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(.  In time ah guess, but ah would have liked to be there yesterday to take in dat roma cut a**  :devil: :beermug:  MANU 4 EVER
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
The 1997 Barcelona side got me interested in football. I have always loved the Barcelona way of playing. When yuh have a big TV and yuh put up the volume it does make feel the game a little more. I will make the pilgrimage to the Nou Camp someday. In my heart I am a Barcelona fan.

I don't think Barcelona could ever matter more to me than those people who live there.

For me there is a special feeling that come from being in the Stadium watching the national team. Your emotions are amplified in that glorious theatre. Joy beyond measure or pain that infects your very soul is what's at stake. Nothing beats being there.

Barca is my side but I'm not a part of Barcelona so I don't feel what they feel. Its like when we scored the winner against Arsenal last year, yeah I run outside screaming, yeah ah open up a bottle of wine to celebrate winning but I went to sleep normal. If we had lost I would have slept the same way. I can't say the same for when I coming from the Stadium after a game.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
nah man....yuh dont have to.....

I doh miss tnt at home and i travel to see them as well..( gold cup 05...tobago vz NIreland...germany for world cup)

after TnT  my real teams dat does send meh blood crazy also  is  Man Utd..( see them live Giants Stadium vz AC milan)....Germany ( Live vz Poland in Dortmund.)
the only one missing is any team latapy plays for....and i did not see that one yet.....come on latas...one more year let me go spend bout a month in scotland....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Everything else is pale next to the national team. Nutten could beat the feeling June 10th 2006 Dortmund stadium. That feelin was yrs real yrs of blood sweat and tears from Latas in 83 in that under 16 competion to TNT reachin a WC. Nutten even if we qualify for every other WC from now like them Yanks go say that  is my Pearl Harbour, 9/11, when dey kill JFK etc
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
da fuh true weary
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Everything else is pale next to the national team. Nutten could beat the feeling June 10th 2006 Dortmund stadium. That feelin was yrs real yrs of blood sweat and tears from Latas in 83 in that under 16 competion to TNT reachin a WC. Nutten even if we qualify for every other WC from now like them Yanks go say that  is my Pearl Harbour, 9/11, when dey kill JFK etc

two sentences, 4 lines, Weary dat is ah best-seller yuh write right dey, big up!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Ah TRUE fan...YES...ah normal supporter...NO and everything else that Weary said  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
Hello! HELLO! WE ARE THE ARSENAL BOYS! HELLO! HELLO WE ARE THE ARSENAL BOYS and If your are a Tottenham Fan Surrender or YOU'LL DIE BECAUSE WE ALLL FOLLOW THE ARSENAL!

WHO'S THAT TEAM WE CALL THE ARSENAL!
WHO'S THAT TEAM WE ALL ADORE!
WE'RE THE TEAM RED & WHITE & WE'RE F**KING DYNAMITE AND MARTIN Jol's MOTHER IS A
WHHHHHHHHHHHHHORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We Won the league at SHIT HEART LANE
We Won the League at SHIT HEART LANE
WE WON THE LEAGUE AT THE SHIT HOLE

WE WON THE LEAGUE AT SHIT HEART LANNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Jump UP FOR THE ARSENAL JUMP UP FOR THE ARSENAL **Jumping**

Ole school now...

HE'S BIG!
HE'S BLACK!
HE'S HAD AN HEART ATTACK
IT'S KANNUUU
IT'S KANNNNNUUUUUUU

You don't learn that by sitting at home, we'll you could if your a sado that looks up for those songs on google  ;D

Now I've got that all out my system to be honest It's like me supporting TNT I can't say (Well I could but I'll be lying ;D) I felt the same emotion when you guys qualified for the world cup, yeah I was proud of TNT because another Caribbean team qualified but same emotion , No Way. Even If went to the games I don't think I could feel as passionate as you guys, then again it is also you guys nation as well.

You must have some type of bond with that team i.e I'm from North London and going to the games is essential, It forms your memories of supporting that team, all your memories being in your living room is not the way of a TRUE fan, a True fan would want to see the team she/he supports in the flesh.
In big games people are all hugging people they don't know out of pure excitement  :rotfl: when your doing that you know your a true fan  :rotfl:

Like people could tease as much as they like about Arsenal on here but you guys aren't TRUE fans of Liverpool, Man U etc fans of football but true fans Nada I mean that in the nicest way possible  ;D
Most of you if your honest just jumped on the team that was doing well at the time, I think he even have people that have changed team  ::)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:32:35 PM by Carib-briton »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I know this might be a controversial topic, but I see the passion with which some men support some of these club teams and I wonder how many of these people have ever been to Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, The Emirates or the Kop. How many of you know all the songs and the chants. Know what it feels like to hear the roar when they score?

Bottom line. Can you truly be a fan if u've never been to a home game and supported the team for your entire life via tele?

p.s I for one acknowledge talented individual footballers from all over the world, but there is no club/unit that I support to the death other than the Trinidad & Tobago National team, grown up with them, been to many more home and away games than I can remember and definitely know what the roar feels like when we score.

Are you really asking whether you can be a fan if you aren't born there?  :thinking:

I think you can be a true fan without having seen your team play. Many Mancunians might support Man U but have never actually attended a match. Similarly with Londoners supporting Arsenal, Chelsea and so on. A local analogy might be West Indies cricket - many, many Trinis have never actually gone to watch a match, but they are definitely not waggonists (I not sure if the same could hold for local football).

But I think there is a big difference in being a fan by birth and a fan by brand. I support Inter, because when I was little Inter were the big side in Italy (dont mind they didnt win anything again until last year....). I was seduced by the brand. I've been to the San Siro, been to see Inter play, bought all the kits when I was younger. But I still fall into the second category:  fan by brand.

I think everyone in this site will have a similar story, whether its Man U, Liverpool, Barca or whoever.

For me, the two types of fan are both genuine - after all, the idea of football being a matter of life and death is ridiculous anyway, doesn't matter whether you are born there or not, its still doesn't make screaming at 22 men kicking a ball any more logical. But they are show their commitment to their teams in different ways.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hello! HELLO! WE ARE THE ARSENAL BOYS! HELLO! HELLO WE ARE THE ARSENAL BOYS and If your are a Tottenham Fan Surrender or YOU'LL DIE BECAUSE WE ALLL FOLLOW THE ARSENAL!

WE'RE THE TEAM RED & WHITE & WE'RE F**KING DYNAMITE AND MARTIN Jol's MOTHER IS A

Ole school now...

HE'S BIG!
HE'S BLACK!
HE'S HAD AN HEART ATTACK
IT'S KANNUUU
IT'S KANNNNNUUUUUUU

You don't learn that by sitting at home, we'll you could if your a sado that looks up for those songs on google  ;D

Now I've got that all out my system to be honest It's like me supporting TNT I can't say (Well I could but I'll be lying ;D) I felt the same emotion when you guys qualified for the world cup, yeah I was proud of TNT because another Caribbean team qualified but same emotion , No Way. Even If went to the games I don't think I could feel as passionate as you guys, then again it is also you guys nation as well.

You must have some type of bond with that team i.e I'm from North London and going to the games is essential, It forms your memories of supporting that team, all your memories being in your living room is not the way of a TRUE fan, a True fan would want to see the helps she/he supports in the flesh.
In big games people are all hugging people they don't know out of pure excitement  :rotfl: when your doing that you know your a true fan  :rotfl:

Like people could tease as much as they like about Arsenal on here but you guys aren't TRUE fans of Liverpool, Man U etc fans of football but true fans Nada I mean that in the nicest way possible  ;D

Shut up, you Arsenal fans are shite. Highbury was the least intimidating football atmosphere ever  ;D

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!

Yup. Being a fan have more to do with your emotional connection that your birth or physical or 'real' connection.

If you can become a star wars fan by watching movies, reading books and buying collectables. Why cant you be a football fan by watching games, reading up on them and buying jerseys and collectables?

I know is a weird analogy but say what ...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:41:29 PM by dwn »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile

Ole school now...

HE'S BIG!
HE'S BLACK!
HE'S HAD AN HEART ATTACK
IT'S KANNUUU
IT'S KANNNNNUUUUUUU

You must have some type of bond with that team i.e I'm from North London and going to the games is essential, It forms your memories of supporting that team, all your memories being in your living room is not the way of a TRUE fan, a True fan would want to see the helps she/he supports in the flesh.

Shut up, you Arsenal fans are shite. Highbury was the least intimidating football atmosphere ever  ;D

Ryan, You know nothing... Anyone who goes to Matches would know that Arsenal is not the least intimidating football atmosphere ever.. Fulham must be the worse. Is that why in 2001/2002 every team we went down to apart from Leeds we came back... Your telling me against Juve & Real Madrid there was no atmosphere.. have you been to as many Arsenal games as me to know? No, Shut Up.
Chelsea's is full of dumb ass skinheads and waggonists glorflying Drogba Silly Perm.

By Way, You take into considering your nation for example West Indies is different... thats more cultural like the example I used with you guys supporting TNT and I couldn't feel the same emotion, I'm not Trinbago you guys are.

Have a nice day  ;D

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Ole school now...

HE'S BIG!
HE'S BLACK!
HE'S HAD AN HEART ATTACK
IT'S KANNUUU
IT'S KANNNNNUUUUUUU

Ryan, You know nothing... Anyone who goes to Matches would know that Arsenal is not the least intimidating football atmosphere ever.. Fulham must be the worse. Is that why in 2001/2002 every team we went down to apart from Leeds we came back... Your telling me against Juve & Real Madrid there was no atmosphere.. have you been to as many Arsenal games as me to know? No, Shut Up.
Chelsea's is full of dumb ass skinheads and waggonists glorflying Drogba Silly Perm.

By Way, You take into considering your nation for example West Indies is different... thats more cultural like the example I used with you guys supporting TNT and I couldn't feel the same emotion, I'm not Trinbago you guys are.

Have a nice day  ;D

Fair enough, I've never been to Craven Cottage. Although I used to live in Barnes, which was nearby, and if that's where the fans come from, I'm not surprised the atmosphere is shite.

But I go to see Arsenal play every now and again. And I was even there as an away fan when Inter thrashed you 3-0....so based on my (limited) experience I'm standing by my assessment.....the Highbury Library  ;D

If you want real noise go to an Old Firm game.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile

Fair enough, I've never been to Craven Cottage. Although I used to live in Barnes, which was nearby, and if that's where the fans come from, I'm not surprised the atmosphere is shite.

But I go to see Arsenal play every now and again. And I was even there as an away fan when Inter thrashed you 3-0....so based on my (limited) experience I'm standing by my assessment.....the Highbury Library  ;D

If you want real noise go to an Old Firm game.

Talking of you apprently attending the San Siro and being a ''true fan of inter'' you must of been there when Inter got thrashed by Arsenal 5-1.

Shut Up Once Again  ;D

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

two sentences, 4 lines, Weary dat is ah best-seller yuh write right dey, big up!

Dat is true, I supporting Man Utd for 22 years, and see then countless no of times, now that i can afford it but my fav memories was Nov 19th 1989 and June 10th. When I hear we anthem being played, I burst into tears.  ;D  See you fellas at GC, I will make myself known!

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ah love it, Carib-Briton... I love it!!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

1]; } ?>