June 09, 2024, 06:25:43 AM

Author Topic: Do Saints rely too heavily on Stern John for goals?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do Saints rely too heavily on Stern John for goals?
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:16:10 AM »
Do Saints rely too heavily on Stern John for goals?
By Dan Kerins (Daily Echo)

This year, Saints' leading scorer by quite some margin is Stern John.

The Trinidad and Tobago international came to St. Mary's as a makeweight in the £6m deal that saw his countryman Kenwyne Jones head to Sunderland.

So far this season, John has bagged 16 goals for Saints, far ahead of anyone else. His nearest competitors are Rasiak and Bradley Wright-Phillips who have netted eight times each. Drew Surman has got four and Jhon Viafara three.

Over the whole of last season, Grzegorz Rasiak netted 21 times, with Jones next with 16 goals, Wright-Phillips got 11 and Marek Saganowski a further 10 and Gareth Bale getting a further five.

That means that the top five scorers for Saints this season have bagged 39 goals between them so far.

In contrast, the top five from last season got 63.

So while Rasiak was the man behind a third of Saints' goals last year, Stern John accounts for 41 per cent of the team's goals this season.

We want to hear your opinions on this and whether or not it's okay to have just one goal scorer in the squad, or if there is anything can be done. Is the problem the other strikers, or is it the service they are getting? Are the tactics too obvious? Let us know exactly what you think and the best comments will be featured in this weekend's copy of The Pink.
Posted by: Exiled, Tamworth on 12:41pm today
That's what he's paid for!!!!!
From the few games i've seen him play, i don't see why not! he does nothing else! one game is apparent, QPR defeat 3-2 at home, that he partically stood in the middle of the park for 90 minutes and popped up at the end and scored. If he actually put some effort in he may score more!

Posted by: Ciaran on 1:19pm today
It's not about whether or not he scores enough or puts in enough effort. It's about whether or not the rest of them are doing enough.

Posted by: Kate, Andover on 2:03pm today
I think we need another decent goal-scorer. Saga does well with a giant upfront and Bradley's................Bradley. McGoldrick is definitely one for the future and I think Cedric should be given a chance too. We need a big target-man, that's why, I hate to say it, we miss Jones - and Saga played so well with him too. Stern can score some cracking goals at times but against the big burly defenders in this league, he hasn't got the height. And I didn't realise until someone pointed it out to me, but he can't head the ball to save his life and by the time he expects the ball to come down for him to control it with his chest or his feet, a defender's whipped it off him and we're on the back foot. Again! To have a goalscorer that's third in the league shows how were struggling in the place that we are. I just hope we're not putting all our eggs in one basket. Let's hope Nigel can get the players' confidence up so they come out of the tunnel at SMS on Saturday believing they can beat Coventry.

COYR!!

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/display.var.2125142.0.do_saints_rely_too_heavily_on_stern_john_for_goals.php
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Do Saints rely too heavily on Stern John for goals?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »
well sell him nah
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »
lord have mercy...

Just from reading them comments I actually want Southampton to go down  >:(
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 10:42:30 AM »
lord have mercy...

Just from reading them comments I actually want Southampton to go down  >:(
They ain't say anything particularly bad on there. You should see how they does talk bout the other players on the team. I never see a group of fans hate their own players as much as Southampton fans. HATE.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
I think that poster Exiled may be Disgruntled in Disguise.... :rotfl:

Come on saints 41%.... that's more than enough for your leaky defence....

Why don't we talk about that.... >:(

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 11:11:21 AM »
I think that poster Exiled may be Disgruntled in Disguise.... :rotfl:

Come on saints 41%.... that's more than enough for your leaky defence....

Why don't we talk about that.... >:(
Trust me. They do. They hate their WHOLE team. They have mostly negative things to say about them. Even last year when they were doing well.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »
as Berris would say...................
well if it takes Stern to win.....keep playin him nuh
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »
I doh know why people soundin so surprised.

Stern John does have dat polarizin effect on fans EVERYWHERE, INCLUDING T&T FANS!

De poster dat say he stand up in de middle a de park and do nothing else fuh de whole game except pop up and score could be any Trinbagonan here commentin on his play wit de National team.

In de World Cup, de amounta cuss he get fuh doin exactly dat and WUSS...stannin round...wavin he hand at players, cussin and shoutin at dem while he doin absolutely nutting on de field is classic Stern John.

Ah remember good de Sweden game when was doin jes dat, den when Cornell Glen come on, he start to cuss because Cornell get instructions from Beenie to play right up front and Stern was to get de ball to him as bess as possible.  Well is now cuss & wavin hand ting start.  So much so dat Beenie sen Birchall over to Stern to manners him and tell he is coach say to play so.

But under all de cuss and wave hand and carry on, when de long ball and dem come, was same Stern John was battlin and gettin he head to de ball and one such ball resulted in de opportunity fuh Cornell to lash one off de upright wit de Swedish keeper beaten.

Stern is Stern....eh nobody will put ball in de net like he or miss as much as he does, but when game done, more often dan not, is he name on de score sheet and hate him or love him, football managers de world over cyah do without players who have dat knack fuh puttin de ball in de net.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:34:36 PM »
Well said Palos---Positive.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »

Stern John does have dat polarizin effect on fans EVERYWHERE, INCLUDING T&T FANS!

De poster dat say he stand up in de middle a de park and do nothing else fuh de whole game except pop up and score could be any Trinbagonan here commentin on his play wit de National team.

In de World Cup, de amounta cuss he get fuh doin exactly dat and WUSS...stannin round...wavin he hand at players, cussin and shoutin at dem while he doin absolutely nutting on de field is classic Stern John.

Ah remember good de Sweden game when was doin jes dat, den when Cornell Glen come on, he start to cuss because Cornell get instructions from Beenie to play right up front and Stern was to get de ball to him as bess as possible.  Well is now cuss & wavin hand ting start.  So much so dat Beenie sen Birchall over to Stern to manners him and tell he is coach say to play so.

But under all de cuss and wave hand and carry on, when de long ball and dem come, was same Stern John was battlin and gettin he head to de ball and one such ball resulted in de opportunity fuh Cornell to lash one off de upright wit de Swedish keeper beaten.

Stern is Stern....eh nobody will put ball in de net like he or miss as much as he does, but when game done, more often dan not, is he name on de score sheet and hate him or love him, football managers de world over cyah do without players who have dat knack fuh puttin de ball in de net.

to be fair Palos eh lying, he and all did call fuh stern tuh get droppe.

me on de odder hand did call dat blasphemy!  ;)

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 07:02:31 PM »
REAL NICE POST THEY PALOS  i can do nothin g but concur

but them blasted english fans jus real like to kill they own players...........and ah cant see how a man go say stern have no headin ability
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 07:11:06 PM »
yeah palos that right there is a big post..   :beermug: :beermug:

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »

Yuh lucky !!  ;D
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »
Pastor Palos u preach dey. It had a fella who played 4 Coops in San Juan in 86 when Yorke beat we in d Intercol final. Dat boy could ah score but so we used to call him a hound. Goal scorers a must in a team
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 06:30:12 AM »
I surprised they say Stern cah head the ball. I guess is because he greedy so he not doing the flick ons like Jones but trying to take down every ball for himself...cause Stern John is a deadly finisher with his head.

I telling u, Beenie miss a trick in the World Cup.With Lawrence, Andrews, Yorke, Stern and Jones we shoulda be a threat from every set piece.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »
D most important header was scored Lawerence nov 16 2008
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 07:16:16 AM »
D most important header was scored Lawerence nov 16 2008

Weary what is de Maryland Lotto Numbers that will be played this week, since yuh does see into the future  ;D

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »
I surprised they say Stern cah head the ball. I guess is because he greedy so he not doing the flick ons like Jones but trying to take down every ball for himself...cause Stern John is a deadly finisher with his head.

I telling u, Beenie miss a trick in the World Cup.With Lawrence, Andrews, Yorke, Stern and Jones we shoulda be a threat from every set piece.

How many of those did we get?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>