June 15, 2024, 10:52:41 PM

Author Topic: Would you let your foreign national children play for T&T?  (Read 9549 times)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Would you let your foreign national children play for T&T?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 07:03:20 AM »
Sobriquet  share the wealth

I doh see why yuh cyah encourage two to play for the yankee and the third son could run for T&T

doh send the 2nd son tho...de middle child does always have problems...we eh need ah nex dwarika

:rotfl: :rotfl: Dutty wha is da one! as ah middle child, ah take offense, good one jed.
Kicker put it best for me, ultimately it's up to the boy/girl to make dey own decision.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 08:17:10 AM »
It is amazing how most of you seem to know exactly what you will do when faced with a hypothetical situation.  When the truth is these decisions are much more difficult to make in real life.  In particular, I like the one thought that suggest "this is a decision for my son to make", without any influence from you, yeah right???  If the player is very, very good and a friend of one of the federations offer the family a substantial amount of money to represent, a million or two, what would you do??  Just suggesting a few items that mught figure into the decision.  And yes, I know most of you have principle and would not take it  ;D

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 08:57:47 AM »
It is amazing how most of you seem to know exactly what you will do when faced with a hypothetical situation.  When the truth is these decisions are much more difficult to make in real life.  In particular, I like the one thought that suggest "this is a decision for my son to make", without any influence from you, yeah right???  If the player is very, very good and a friend of one of the federations offer the family a substantial amount of money to represent, a million or two, what would you do??  Just suggesting a few items that mught figure into the decision.  And yes, I know most of you have principle and would not take it  ;D

U are right..life is not that simple, but expressing that you would like the ultimate decision to be the child's does not infer that you would have no influence. Just the fact that you helped raise the child and find it important to make them familiar with their T&T heritage and therefore provide T&T as an option is infuence in itself. Furthermore, it does not infer that you won't offer advice, far less turn away a child's request for advice.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »
of course he playing for T&T...

God is de BOSS....

Good thing you eh no pro football er cause it was either guyana or suriname they was forcing yuh to play fuh ..... :devil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Ah waiting to see what TI come back with here now
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »
I have 5 Boys and if they decide to play International Sports , They can Represent which ever Country dey choose to. Of course I will Love for them to represent Trinidad, But the choice will be theres.   I will have no bad fealing if they choose not to represent TNT ,
War..
Black Lives Matter..

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »
I have 5 Boys

Damn...yuh eh easy....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 11:10:24 AM »
So far all I hearing man saying is IF they had boy chirren at a certain level.  Only Fyzoman hint at boy/girl players.  Whappen, allyuh wouldn't consider allyuh girl children to sweat for the country too ?

And a question...particularly to those foreign based forumites....
What constitutes (using allyuh terms)... "making sure the child grows up with the trini influence" ?
or in layman terms...get to his/her parents home country.

I have many friends who migrated and started families all over world.  They might come back for the occasional visit...carnival or christmas etc...maybe with they wife, but hardly ever, most times never with the kids whether they big or small.  Even so, with the kids the visit is for two weeks every six or seven years.  How does that influence the child "knowing where they come from".  Can those things really be effected via those means.  How often do you guys come back home...to your roots...how often yuh send yuh kids ?
What about all the 'blacks' who does talk about African Americanism, they know anything about Africa ?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »
So far all I hearing man saying is IF they had boy chirren at a certain level.  Only Fyzoman hint at boy/girl players.  Whappen, allyuh wouldn't consider allyuh girl children to sweat for the country too ?

What constitutes (using allyuh terms)... "making sure the child grows up with the trini influence" ?

I have many friends who migrated and started families all over world.  They might come back for the occasional visit...carnival or christmas etc...maybe with they wife, but hardly ever, most times never with the kids whether they big or small.  Even so, with the kids the visit is for two weeks every six or seven years.  How does that influence the child "knowing where they come from".  Can those things really be effected via those means.  How often do you guys come back home...to your roots...how often yuh send yuh kids ?
What about all the 'blacks' who does talk about African Americanism, they know anything about Africa ?

It real easy...if all wey he turn he seeing ah trini flag...hearing soca almost everyday..and he parents constantly keeping the trini "culture and dialect" alive, it won't be hard for them to identify...dey know how to steups..wine...and talk "trini"  ;D dais when you know they go represent well  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 12:30:12 PM »

The children visiting Trinidad regularly/irregularly has nothing to do with them identifying with Trini heritage.  Your position is silly but I can't hold it against you because your perspective is one-sided, and I guess from that perspective it's a fair question to ask.  However for those of us who live here we have seen just how strong those Trini ties can be (in most cases, some run from it) once you come here and realize that all you have left are the memories.  You tend to compensate as much as possible for it...until you can do better and actually return/visit home.

Offline lacpac

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 12:42:32 PM »
it will be up to them who they want to represent.so in this case we should either be representing africa or india where our roots lies,nonsense :rotfl: :arguing:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »
I have 5 Boys

Damn...yuh eh easy....

He's not a warmonga.  He's a childmonga.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 01:13:50 PM »
But what about the child's possibilites to eventually play in the World Cup?

No one has mentioned that yet, and it could certainly influence the kid's decision. T&T has only ever qualified once in their history, so if that factor could definitely work against you guys.

On the other hand with your smaller player pool there would likely be less competition for places and, therefore, more opportunities for international appearances.

...and maybe, just maybe the kid would feel enough pride in his heritage sufficient to trump anything the US may offer, including playing in the WC.  Before you're too quick to dismiss it you should know that many of us have acquaintances, including one of my best friends, who were born and raised here to Trini parents who consider themselves Trini despite what their birth certificate may say.

You could very well be right. I suppose it all depends on the individual.

But quite often we see that idealism gives way to realism when the player is faced with the possibility of playing on the big stage.

Notice how some of those British players with Trini heritage made a last ditch attempt to join T&T just before the World Cup last year (Zamora and another at Aston Villa, I believe). These were guys who had been holding out for England but suddenly felt Trini when the World Cup got closer and then realized they had no chance of being there with the Three Lions on their chest.

The chance to play in a World Cup -- even at youth level -- is very seductive. Just look at the case of the players in this recent thread by Tallman:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=30274.0

Two U.S. born players with Trini heritage at the U-17 World Cup. One is representing the U.S. team. The other is representing T&T, a choice he made after he was cut by the USA.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:30:31 PM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 03:00:26 PM »
I have 5 Boys

Damn...yuh eh easy....

Small goal side right dey...

6 more for de big goal.... go war.... yuh could dweet!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 03:12:35 PM »
But what about the child's possibilites to eventually play in the World Cup?

No one has mentioned that yet, and it could certainly influence the kid's decision. T&T has only ever qualified once in their history, so if that factor could definitely work against you guys.

On the other hand with your smaller player pool there would likely be less competition for places and, therefore, more opportunities for international appearances.

...and maybe, just maybe the kid would feel enough pride in his heritage sufficient to trump anything the US may offer, including playing in the WC.  Before you're too quick to dismiss it you should know that many of us have acquaintances, including one of my best friends, who were born and raised here to Trini parents who consider themselves Trini despite what their birth certificate may say.

You could very well be right. I suppose it all depends on the individual.

But quite often we see that idealism gives way to realism when the player is faced with the possibility of playing on the big stage.

Notice how some of those British players with Trini heritage made a last ditch attempt to join T&T just before the World Cup last year (Zamora and another at Aston Villa, I believe). These were guys who had been holding out for England but suddenly felt Trini when the World Cup got closer and then realized they had no chance of being there with the Three Lions on their chest.

The chance to play in a World Cup -- even at youth level -- is very seductive. Just look at the case of the players in this recent thread by Tallman:

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=30274.0

Two U.S. born players with Trini heritage at the U-17 World Cup. One is representing the U.S. team. The other is representing T&T, a choice he made after he was cut by the USA.

You're still not saying anything.  Of course the opportunity to play on the world cup stage would be seductive, no one is arguing otherwise.  All I'm saying is that that won't be the only deciding factor for some...hard as it might be for you to believe.  Besides, if I were you I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the US' place qualifying out of CONCACAF is all that guaranteed, for all we know (with the steady strides TnT footballers are beginning to make) Trinidad could very well by-pass the US in regional dominance once the next generation comes around...after all, it's only been 17 yrs since the US has risen to any degree of prominence and if not for hosting it in 1994 we just as well might only be speaking of 5.

...the player at Villa is Jlloyd Samuels btw  :beermug:

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007, 03:28:58 PM »
No sah. They need to geh they business strait down they first with tha TTFF. Maybe when Jack he posses dead and gone. 
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 04:25:52 PM »

U are right..life is not that simple, but expressing that you would like the ultimate decision to be the child's does not infer that you would have no influence. Just the fact that you helped raise the child and find it important to make them familiar with their T&T heritage and therefore provide T&T as an option is infuence in itself. Furthermore, it does not infer that you won't offer advice, far less turn away a child's request for advice.

I take it we are talking about a 16 yr old kid ... advice or no advice, does a 16 yr old kid have the ability to make such a decision, especially if they are not familiar woth the nonsense that take place in T&T??  Now, I am not advocating playing for one or the other, because I believe the kid should play wherever presents the best opportunity based on their current situation.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 04:35:22 PM »
I have 5 Boys

Damn...yuh eh easy....

Note how he just said boys.
I'm guessing he has 10 minimum  ;D

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
No dilema here. TnT of course.

The decision is easy to make if the kid is raised as a Trini. Rossi the Man U player was born and raised here but chose to play for Italy. I'm sure that's because his parents impressed upon him the pride is representing the Azzuri.

I plan to do the same with my future kids. I'd like for them to feel as connected to Trini as possible.

good answer horse. but even with jack and the ttff (not gettin paid/blacklisted) you would lead your kids into that lions den? and rossi's decision is much different. Italy is a much better team than the US and playing for them may allow him much more opportunities whereas euro clubs are concerned. yuh really go put your kids thru jack's nonsense easy so?
By the time them ready to play Jack done gone through already!!!!
TnT Patriot

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2007, 07:23:28 PM »

I take it we are talking about a 16 yr old kid ... advice or no advice, does a 16 yr old kid have the ability to make such a decision, especially if they are not familiar woth the nonsense that take place in T&T??  Now, I am not advocating playing for one or the other, because I believe the kid should play wherever presents the best opportunity based on their current situation.

good point. depending on the age, the approach is going to be very different...honestly tho', I was not thinking of any specific age group. I hearing yuh tho'. I not so naive to feel I wouldn't feel the urge to be more authoritative with a 15 year old vs a 20 year old. Then again, some 15 year olds have a better head on their shoulders than some 20 year olds. In the end, I stand by letting the child make the final decision. No doubt I will give guidance and an honest opinion...but under most foreseeable circumstances, I really think I'd stop short of making the decision for the child. Things would have to be really dire in T&T, to the point that I feel my child's saftey in danger for me to outright say he/she can't play there. I mean other than utter chaos or civil war, I can't see why I would put my hand down and say no. Also, regarding a 16 year old, youth players can reverse the decision before their 21st birthday (I think that is the rule)..I would try not to encourage it and hope my child would make a decision they could live with, but in the end, they have an escape clause if they think they made a monumental mistake. In the end..I'll just have to say I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
well after a short history lesson about the goings on by Jackula over the last few years, I would leave it up to them to decide what they think is best. I would be happy with which ever choice they make.
I ent go lie, it would swell meh chess if they did choose TnT. But as SOBRIQUET says it would be a real lion's den oui
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
No dilema here. TnT of course.

The decision is easy to make if the kid is raised as a Trini. Rossi the Man U player was born and raised here but chose to play for Italy. I'm sure that's because his parents impressed upon him the pride is representing the Azzuri.

I plan to do the same with my future kids. I'd like for them to feel as connected to Trini as possible.

good answer horse. but even with jack and the ttff (not gettin paid/blacklisted) you would lead your kids into that lions den? and rossi's decision is much different. Italy is a much better team than the US and playing for them may allow him much more opportunities whereas euro clubs are concerned. yuh really go put your kids thru jack's nonsense easy so?
By the time them ready to play Jack done gone through already!!!!

vampires don't die
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 04:11:02 PM »
My daughter is well on her way (barring any catastrophic events) to being a very good footballer. I would love for her to play for T&T, but not when we play Aruba, and Virgin Islands and all that mess. Seriously, if I am investing my time and money, and my daughter is doing the same, why limit her to a smaller piece of the pie when she can have a chunk. If by the time she is of age things change then it's T&T all the way. Until then I have to give her the best opportunity.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 04:25:18 PM »
Ultimately it is the child's decision. Of course we will talk about the pros and cons but It would be a proud moment if my child  represented TNT in some capacity.

Offline pufftrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 07:54:18 PM »
TnT all the way.
every man has the right to an opinion but that does not give him the right to be a jackass

1]; } ?>