June 15, 2024, 08:24:32 PM

Author Topic: Football club boss accused of drugs plot  (Read 3898 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Football club boss accused of drugs plot
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:43:15 AM »
Football club boss accused of drugs plot
By Sam Underwood (The Argus)

A football club boss set up a fake company to smuggle cocaine into Sussex from the Caribbean, a court heard.

Lewes Crown Court was told Baron Noonan was part of a plot to import Class A drugs worth £120,000 from Trinidad and Tobago.

The Southwick FC chairman is accused of using his club as a base for parcels of illegal drugs to be delivered to.

Police launched an investigation after a package containing 10 A4 business folders stuffed with heat-sealed pouches of cocaine was found by Customs officers at Stansted Airport on October 20, 2005.

The parcel, posted from Trinidad and Tobago with courier company Fedex, was allowed to continue on its way under police supervision.

It was addressed to ACL Catering, care of Southwick FC in Old Barn Way, Southwick.

An undercover police officer dressed as a courier delivered the package to Southwick FC's offices on October 21.

A colleague signed for it and Noonan arrived shortly afterwards.

As he tried to leave the club officers swooped to arrest him.

The court heard Noonan had two accomplices, Martin Taylor and Densley Villafana, who were both prisoners who had absconded from Ford open prison.

Visitor records at the prison showed Noonan visited Taylor on several occasions before he absconded on July 7, 2005.

The jury was told that Villafana had admitted the charges when he was arrested on October 27, 2005, and would be appearing as a witness but that Taylor, who was arrested on July 15, 2006, had since died.

David Scutt, prosecuting, said ACL Catering was a fake company set up as a front for a drug smuggling operation.

Fedex records showed an earlier package had been sent to ACL Catering, care of Southwick FC, again from Trinidad and Tobago, and had been signed for by Noonan on September 26.

The court heard that when Noonan was arrested he was found to have two mobile phones on him and two more in his car.

Mr Scutt said records for these phones showed a series of calls made between Noonan, Villafana and Taylor in the weeks leading up to the delivery of the package.

One of the phones was found to have the package's unique delivery code on it which could be used to trace its progress on Fedex's website.

The court heard that Noonan's Mercedes was searched and that officers found a folder identical to the ones in the seized package in the boot which contained traces of cocaine.

An envelope in Noonan's car was also found to have tracking details for the parcel on it written in his own handwriting.

This, said Mr Scutt, showed the "level of interest" that Noonan had in the package.

Analysis of Noonan's two computers at his house in Trafalgar Road, Portslade, showed internet searches on Trinidad and Tobago, focusing on flights and hotels.

The court was shown the cardboard box the folders were sent in, one of the folders themselves and one of the packages of cocaine.

Tests showed the drug, weighing just under a kilogram, was 95 per cent proof, matching the highest percentage ever seen by police officers in Sussex.

Noonan denies conspiracy to supply Class A drugs.

The trial continues.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football club boss accused of drugs plot
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 10:54:36 AM »
Dred wat is an open prison?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:06:26 AM »
we reach! Again ::)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 01:02:21 PM »

Boy.

I reading and wondering since when yuh does "abscond" from prison. I know yuh does escape.

I guess is some prison programme where the prisoner checks in periodically, probaly a step down from minimum security.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »

Boy.

I reading and wondering since when yuh does "abscond" from prison. I know yuh does escape.

I guess is some prison programme where the prisoner checks in periodically, probaly a step down from minimum security.

yeah halfway between minimum security and wearing an electronic bracelet
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
Football chairman denies drugs plot
By Ali Cridland (The Argus)

Oct 25 2007

The chairman of a football club denied staging a burglary at his home to finance an international drug deal, a jury heard.

Baron Noonan, 56, known as Barry, told Lewes Crown Court he was devastated by the break-in, which left his house in Portslade ransacked and water-logged.

Noonan, who is chairman Southwick Football Club, denies conspiracy to supply cocaine.

He is accused of arranging the burglary at his house in Trafalgar Road to finance a plot to smuggle cocaine into the UK.

The father-of-four is alleged to have known that a fake company, called ACL Catering, was set up to act as a front for the drug smuggling operation.

The jury has heard a package containing £120,000 of cocaine sent from Trinidad and Tobago was posted to ACL care of the Sussex County League club's premises in Old Barn Way, Southwick, in October 2005.

advertisement
Giving evidence at his trial, Noonan, a carpet fitter and estimator, denied any part in the drug importation.

Noonan, who has no previous convictions, said working with young people through the football club and his links with boxing was his life and he had nothing to do with drugs.

He said: "I have never taken drugs and never even tried a cigarette. Drugs to me are a no go area, that is why I don't know why I am standing here today.

"I am not the straightest guy in the world but I am not involved in drugs. I detest drugs."

He said one of the reasons he felt so strongly against illegal drugs was because of personal experience with his friends and close family.

He said he had resigned as a director of the club following his arrest because he did not want to bring it into disrepute.

He said: "Southwick Football Club is everything to me. It is my life. It is what I do."

The former amateur boxer told the jury how he had been involved with a number of boxing associations and was vice president of the West Ham Boxing Club and helped found Brighton Ex-Boxers Association.

He said he has been involved in charity work for years and estimated his club had raised more than £100,000. He had also arranged fund-raising matches through his contacts with the cast of the TV shows London's Burning and The Bill.

Noonan said at the time of the drug delivery to the club major refurbishment was going on following an arson attack in July 2005.

He said the premises were full of workmen and numerous deliveries were being made daily.

He said he had no idea who was behind the burglary at his home in August 2005, which caused thousands of pounds worth of damage which he claimed on insurance.

The police claim an associate of Noonan's called Martin Taylor was responsible for the break-in.

It is alleged Taylor, 46, from London, who has previous convictions for drug offences, and Densley Villafana, who were at the time both prisoners on the run from Ford Prison, were involved together with Noonan with the drug deal.

Villafana, 35, from Selsey, has admitted being part of the plot and told the jury the other two men were involved.

Taylor has since died.

In court Noonan denied knowing Villafana or ever speaking to him.

He said he met Taylor when he stayed at a caravan park at Selsey, where Taylor also used to spend time with his family.

He said he had tried to help Taylor, who he visited in prison in London and Sussex, to get work at his club on day release from jail after he was imprisoned for dishonesty.

When asked about more than 200 phone calls made to him from Taylor, Noonan told the jury Taylor would phone daily from prison because he was bored.

He denied ever looking up information on his computer about Trinidad and Tobago. He said searches on his computer for the Caribbean islands could have resulted from one of his children doing a school project about Columbus.

The trial continues.

1]; } ?>