June 04, 2024, 03:37:15 AM

Author Topic: End it like Beckham  (Read 3029 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
End it like Beckham
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:39:14 AM »
End it like Beckham: David's season with galaxy cut short by injury
6 hours ago

LOS ANGELES - He made his entrance amid showers of confetti and plumes of smoke. He played in just five MLS games and scored no goals. And now David Beckham's season is over, cut short by knee and ankle injuries almost as soon as it began.

"I never had so many injuries in a short space of time," he said. "It's been tough, where I used to play every day in Europe to missing half of the season."

Beckham, as promised, packed the house when he did play. And the English superstar moved the merchandise, a one-man marketing machine.

As for his team, well, that's another matter. The Los Angeles Galaxy failed to make the playoffs, but almost got there without their superstar, eliminated on the final day of a season in which Beckham caused a stir just by showing up.

"It's been a wild ride," goalkeeper Joe Cannon said.

The Galaxy's seven-game unbeaten streak ended Sunday with a 1-0 loss at Chicago that cost the team the league's final playoff spot. Beckham played in only one of those games. Their 9-14-7 record was third worst in MLS.

But at least Chicago fans got to see Beckham, who came off the bench in the Galaxy's final two games. Fans in Dallas, Toronto, New England, Colorado, Salt Lake City and Kansas City who bought tickets just to check out the English superstar were denied the opportunity because he was injured.

Beckham's impact at the gate was tremendous. He drew 66,237 to Giants Stadium for his first MLS start. The Galaxy led the league in road attendance, averaging 28,035 for 15 games.

At home, the team averaged 24,252 for 15 games in its 27,000-seat stadium, bettering by 48 the mark set in 2005, even though Beckham didn't arrive until mid-July.

Beckham's No. 23 jersey flew off the racks at a dizzying pace, pushing merchandise sales up 700 per cent for the Galaxy and 300 per cent leaguewide, according to MLS.

"We've created the buzz we wanted to around the league. We've had a full house in most of the stadiums we've played in," Beckham said. "From that part it's been a success, but on my side it's been frustrating because I've not been able to go every place we've played."

Beckham was introduced to a media horde July 13, although he was already hobbled by an ankle injury, while playing for England in June.

Beckham later admitted his left ankle wasn't ready when he made his July 21 debut in an exhibition against England's Chelsea attended by a star-studded sellout crowd of 27,000 and shown live on U.S. cable sports network ESPN.

"You can't really prepare for somebody like David coming to your team," midfielder Peter Vagenas said. "I'd be lying to you if to say that I didn't think people struggled with it. But David is a great person, a great teammate, and that makes it easy on everybody."

Then Beckham sprained his right knee Aug. 29 and was out for 1˝ months - a span of 11 games - that killed the hype.

As the league's highest-paid player, Beckham earned US$6.5 million in guaranteed money, including a $5.5 million base salary. He played in just five MLS games, totalling 252 minutes out of a possible 1,620. He had no goals and two assists.

He did score one goal for the Galaxy, off a free kick in a 2-0 SuperLiga semifinal win against DC United on Aug. 15.

In a goodwill gesture, the Galaxy gave full season-ticket holders the chance to renew for next season at this year's prices.

"The results ... have not been what our fans expect or deserve, but there is much to be excited about for 2008 and beyond," Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas said.

The Galaxy had a rash of other injuries, too, and their schedule was backloaded with league games to capitalize on Beckham.

"The schedule, the injuries, the hype, the media just compounded each other," Cannon said. "People really don't realize how difficult the situation was. We were lacking bodies. It was sometimes embarrassing."

But Beckham endeared himself to his teammates.

"When he got here, he was the first one to say that he was about the soccer," Vagenas said. "You questioned it a bit maybe, but you could see it in his performance and in the way he takes care of himself, the way he trains and goes about his business. Everything else may be a distraction to him, but he really doesn't show that it is."

Now, Beckham will be off most Americans' radar until April, when MLS resumes.

"I'm not going to know what do with myself," he said. "I'll be keeping in training and keeping fit no matter what."

Beckham won't be sitting around his Beverly Hills, Calif., mansion. He hopes to play for England against Croatia on Nov. 21 in London - England's final chance at qualifying for next year's European championship.

Also, the Galaxy is scheduled to play an exhibition in Sydney, Australia, on Nov. 27, followed by another game days later in New Zealand.

And Beckham figures to be spotted on the Spice Girls reunion tour that begins in December in Vancouver, accompanying wife Victoria, also known as Posh Spice.
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5ix5W5ml0Kjqz3wXWvq8thpUc1S4Q

well I guess I will not be going to see him play against the Vancouver Whitecaps in November.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 02:41:20 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: End it like Beckham
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:38:51 AM »
"End it like Beckham"  dat good  :rotfl:

WC, dais your pun or somebody else?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »

Money is one thing but Beckham loves his football and with NFL in full swing Becks going to be dying to take to the field . At least if he was in Europe he  would have been playing somewhere

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »

Look at the first line again.... ;)

Kudos to Yallop and the Galaxy for almost salvaging their season even without Becks.  They'll be a much better team for the experience next season.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 11:01:42 AM »
more time for hollywood.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »

man, I was jez coming to tell him it is mines ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 11:36:31 AM »

lol...hard luck dey.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:05:21 PM »
Ipswich Deny Beckham Approach
soccer365

2007-10-23 19:04:42

A spokesman for Championship side Ipswich Town have rejected rumours that the club have lobbied Los Angeles general manager Alexi Lalas to allow David Beckham a training visit.
The Tractor Boys are located near the England midfielder's home in England, but Lalas has previously stated that any and all loan enquiries.
"Manager Jim Magilton was asked by the media two months ago if he would welcome Beckham to the club," the club rep told BBC.
"Of course, he would - but there have been no talks or any approaches made."

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:19:47 PM »

I'm almost sure this writer stole this headline from another article
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 05:38:11 PM »
I'm almost sure this writer stole this headline from another article
yeah, maybe this one or this one or even this one
seems to be a common title ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:42:05 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »
Spend it like Beckham ....... life's great when you are of average ability, married to a posh wife, have several collector cars, more money than you could ever spend ..and people want to see you play football !
you just cant lose when you can think of more than 50 other players whose shoes you cant fill who are nowhere near your salary range.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »
Spend it like Beckham ....... life's great when you are of average ability, married to a posh wife, have several collector cars, more money than you could ever spend ..and people want to see you play football !
you just cant lose when you can think of more than 50 other players whose shoes you cant fill who are nowhere near your salary range.

you know what they say jai:
doh hate the player... 8)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 03:12:57 PM »

you know what they say jai:
doh hate the player... 8)
Dont get me wrong I dont hate Beckham. How can you hate someone who has done so much for young aspiring footballers ? Now you can dream ...dare to be a Beckham !

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
Alexi Lalas mussbe feelin' like ah bottom now...One set ah money for someon who can't even play.

Millions of dollars up in smoke.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 10:38:17 AM »
 Beckham spoil he seilf with that move...MLS way below his standard...the few minutes he play you could see he was head and shoulders over everybody else...MLS doh challenge him and he too good for that

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »

lol...hard luck dey.

WC, sue all a dem for tiefing yuh line man ... yuh should a copyright it
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 02:23:13 PM »
Alexi Lalas mussbe feelin' like ah bottom now...One set ah money for someon who can't even play.

Millions of dollars up in smoke.
What millions of dollars up in smoke?  Yuh think LA Galaxy was giving away ticket or free "Beckham" juzzy?

1]; } ?>