May 22, 2024, 11:42:53 PM

Author Topic: Where are they now? - Ian Porterfield  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Where are they now? - Ian Porterfield
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:13:46 PM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 01:27:21 PM by Tallman »

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they now? - Ian Porterfield
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 02:22:45 PM »
That would be a mistake..

But ah reading de article and they love him over dere.. I guess he guh get de wuk.!! But I did not think he did such a good job over here.!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:25:10 PM by oconnorg »
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:15:11 AM »

But ah reading de article and they love him over dere.. I guess he guh get de wuk.!! But I did not think he did such a good job over here.!

just remember, we topped a world cup group involving mexico with him at de helm.

we destroyed mexico, panama and canada by a combined 11-0 at home!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 06:24:51 AM »

just remember, we topped a world cup group involving mexico with him at de helm.

...then we had two bad results on the road in the Hex (no worse than any of our road results since then mind you) and tied with Mexico at home, after taking the lead, thanks to a moment of madness from Angus Eve.

Then the wheels fall off with completely for a man who never had the love or support of the public or the football fraternity.

Porterfield didn't do as bad a job as people make out.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 07:37:24 AM »
Bring back Porters!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 08:07:04 AM »

When you really assess Coaches that have worked with T&T teams have anyone done a good job?i will say yes all of them did,we keep getting down on Coaches that come here and don't matter who we bring it's the same problem,that should tell us something,these same Coaches does leave here and do very good elsewhere,lets check ourselves we are our own problem,the hardest coaching job any Coach could have at present is to coach a T&T team,it's a job no one will want just now,all our teams are failures,any coach walking into that kind of situation can't be a happy man,there are too much things outside of the game itself that he has to deal with,attitudes,personalities,players being available,TTFF,the public,too much politics etc     

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 08:22:02 AM »

...then we had two bad results on the road in the Hex (no worse than any of our road results since then mind you) and tied with Mexico at home, after taking the lead, thanks to a moment of madness from Angus Eve.

Then the wheels fall off with completely for a man who never had the love or support of the public or the football fraternity.

Porterfield didn't do as bad a job as people make out.

Well if i remember correctly, he came at the heels of the Gold cup campain where BSC was coach and the team was in Ripping form.. I find it hard to credit him too much because to me the team was still going on the Steam of BSC.  not only that, the teams tremendous CRASH in the second round!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 11:31:21 AM »
Bring back Porters!

bring back de tall ting from de Orange Bowl..yuh fren sister!

hahahahahaha ;D ;D ;D

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 11:54:55 AM »
Well if i remember correctly, he came at the heels of the Gold cup campain where BSC was coach and the team was in Ripping form.. I find it hard to credit him too much because to me the team was still going on the Steam of BSC.  not only that, the teams tremendous CRASH in the second round!

Under BSC's "ripping form" we got four from Mexico and couldn't beat Canada.

Under Porterfield's management that you find it hard to credit the him for we beat and draw with Mexico and beat Canada twice.

BSC must be the only man to manage a team better after he get fired than when he was actually coaching.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2005, 12:18:56 PM »
I eh botherin' to comment too much on Porterfield quality as a coach. He got us some impressive results for most of the semifinal round of WC 2002 qualifying. But when I see the wood we collect in Mexico in the last game (even though we were already qualified for the final round) it was clear that lack of professionalism and lack of depth were going to do us in. Then again hindsight is 20/20.

What got to me while we played under Porterfield is that we had no passing game. None. Everybody was happy with the results and the fact that individually some men, (Latas and Yorke in particular) were on fire. We were scoring goals, so he cares, right? But we were playing some really direct ball and it was strange. By the time we got to the final round so many tings went wrong, it hard to pinpoint just one......but the direct style of ball was too easy for the more skillful and organized teams in the final round to neutralize.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 12:57:38 PM »
Bring back Porters!

bring back de tall ting from de Orange Bowl..yuh fren sister!

hahahahahaha ;D ;D ;D

yeah boy me fren tell me  :shameonyou: he doh want no partners of his checksing he sister
Well let's just say I have one less partnah now   :wavetowel: :whip:

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 01:13:55 PM »

Under BSC's "ripping form" we got four from Mexico and couldn't beat Canada.

Under Porterfield's management that you find it hard to credit the him for we beat and draw with Mexico and beat Canada twice.

BSC must be the only man to manage a team better after he get fired than when he was actually coaching.

Well breds, in my oppinion, we were plating less constructive ball under potterfield..  He coached an Air game which was not working out Atallll..

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »
I cyar understand this point about having Bertille steam and going on BSC success.

Bertie steam had we collecting 4 from Mexico, and lorsing to Canada. We even play some friendly games with Canada under Bertie and lorse or draw.

Under Porters we beat Canada for the first time in HISTORY 2-0 and 4-0.

We were lucky against Mexico in the Crawford, but we match them stride for stride, outplayed them and should have won in the oval. Even after Angus do shit. Yorke coulda bury the game when he get a 1 on 1 in the final minutes of the game and throw away.

Porters tightened up the defence and we were decent on corners and free kicks. We only get a serious cutarse  vs CostaRica away and then it fell apart.

Realistically when we played JA on Ash Wed we should more than cut they tail. For all who saw the game Stern was purgin since then and missing and Yorke who scored a hatrick against Arsenal 3 days before was also moving like an abortionist. Tyrone marshall also scored a fluke goal that he would never replicate for the rest of his playing career.

Then The TTFF panick, setta simmy dimmy and the team get unsettled and the shit start.

Porters did a real good job with the team. and while we didnt like the style of play that TT was playing i.e the long ball it was effective.

I talked to him once in fitness center gym in Deigo.....he say he was playing a style of ball based on the strength of the players available.
Yorke and Stern was trap and screen long ball men and that is what suited them given their style of play. The long ball he said also unsettled most concacaf teams who are generally not good in the air and Lawrence and Dog were our threats in the back to keep things tight.

We have not evolved much since then......that was a BOSS team, now we have nearly the same team with some sub-standard additions.
two exceptions being Birchall and Whitley.

Porters was good, Simoes was good, Stuart Charles had the side playing real good and his record was not bad.....why they fire him?

Its not the coaches......the players in TT just shitty on the international stage. Individually on a foreign team e.g a club a single TT player deficiency is covered or hidden based on the talent, work ethic and good habits of his foreign team mates. Collectively our lack of ability is glaring and we continue to see it game after game.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 01:39:07 PM »
You see Porter's in a gym....da's code for a rum shop or wha'?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 01:51:12 PM »

Porters was good, Simoes was good, Stuart Charles had the side playing real good and his record was not bad.....why they fire him?

Its not the coaches......the players in TT just shitty on the international stage. Individually on a foreign team e.g a club a single TT player deficiency is covered or hidden based on the talent, work ethic and good habits of his foreign team mates. Collectively our lack of ability is glaring and we continue to see it game after game.
In every arguement or discussion there are ppl who says things that make sense,this to me is  the best i've read on this topic. 

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 03:11:03 PM »
Ah Touches for an Arsenal man yuh does make sense sometimes.

If you didn't like Porters style fine, but that argument about the early results being because of BSC that people like to trot out doesn't .

That is like saying that Beenie win against Panama was due to BSC because  look Bertille team went and draw with Costa Rica.

And then the next thing yuh does hear is that he used to drink rum, like that is something uncommon in Trinidad.

Offline Jason Song

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 12:17:38 AM »
hi, i'm a korean fan and yes Poterfield has a chance to become our new coach. What i was wondering is I heard there was some sort of scandal involving Poterfield when he was in Trinidad involving a car accident?

doesn't anyone know what happened?

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 11:08:49 AM »
hi, i'm a korean fan and yes Poterfield has a chance to become our new coach. What i was wondering is I heard there was some sort of scandal involving Poterfield when he was in Trinidad involving a car accident?

doesn't anyone know what happened?

u lookin fuh newspaper headlines! lol
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 01:59:59 PM »
Yes, there was a scandal.!! :) Involving a cyar accident..!! :devil:

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 06:03:06 PM »
oconnorg....that was no laughing matter :(

Offline Jason Song

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 10:17:50 PM »

can anyone tell what exactly happened?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 02:17:43 AM »
PPl tend to remember what they want to remember/

Yes TT lost to Can. at the GC.

But we beat CR and Guat. When was the last time we did that?

Vs. Mex... we handled ourselves...scored twice (off side)..hit the bar once and threw away a penalty. Only an ass would make a judgement based on the 4-0 scoreline.

The Canadian players admitted that they were lucky to beat TT. We played nice football and twice I swear Dwarika was going to score, but that GK was a bitch.

Porters style of football....should be termed "cut ass waiting to happen."

I saw the wins vs. Can and Mex. and those were extremely fortunate victories. (not the second win vs. Can at the QPO).

I made it a point of saying this in the semis of the Con qualifiers back then. Becz it was obvious, and I didn't want to come running my mouth after the fact.

I mentioned the dangers of Ports. tactics to Yorke just before the victory over Mex. and all he could do was nod his head and grimace.

The WORST thing JW ever did to TT football was to foist IP on us.

Thank God he gone. God help S. Korea....dey go need it, if he in charge.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 03:54:49 AM »

I apologize for laughing eh man.. But is jess to show dis man is a jokey man.. Indicipline begets indicipline. If he carrying on so, what are you to expect from players. ! He never had true control of de team.!

I apologize for laughing though.. Lo siento!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline oconnorg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 03:59:19 AM »
PPl tend to remember what they want to remember/

Yes TT lost to Can. at the GC.

But we beat CR and Guat. When was the last time we did that?

Vs. Mex... we handled ourselves...scored twice (off side)..hit the bar once and threw away a penalty. Only an ass would make a judgement based on the 4-0 scoreline.

The Canadian players admitted that they were lucky to beat TT. We played nice football and twice I swear Dwarika was going to score, but that GK was a bitch.

Porters style of football....should be termed "cut ass waiting to happen."

I saw the wins vs. Can and Mex. and those were extremely fortunate victories. (not the second win vs. Can at the QPO).

I made it a point of saying this in the semis of the Con qualifiers back then. Becz it was obvious, and I didn't want to come running my mouth after the fact.

I mentioned the dangers of Ports. tactics to Yorke just before the victory over Mex. and all he could do was nod his head and grimace.

The WORST thing JW ever did to TT football was to foist IP on us.

Thank God he gone. God help S. Korea....dey go need it, if he in charge.

VB

Ah boyy.. This is exactly what i was thinking..  Again I re-iterate, Ian Pothoundfield was not all that better than BSC if atall.. I not by no means saying BSC was the best, but I think that men here sometimes clouded by their serious dis like for de man they fail to realize de truth . 

I know I guh get some lick fuh what i jess say dere.. But so Be it.! Bring it on!

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
IAN PORTERFIELD COULD TAKE CHARGE OF SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 11:00:17 AM »
Berti Vogts has confirmed his interest in taking charge of South Korea.
Dutchman Jo Bonfrere quit the Asian nation last week, despite guiding them to a place at Germany 2006.
Now the position is vacant and former Germany and Scotland chief Vogts is understood to be one of the favourites, along with likes of Phillipe Troussier and Sir Bobby Robson.
"I have received several inquiries and one of them is from South Korea," said Vogts,
"It's an interesting country with an interesting team which is already qualified for the World Cup.
"I haven't received an official offer yet but if it comes, a long-term contract until after the World Cup finishes is possible."
As well as the big names like Vogts, Troussier and Robson - Korean chiefs could yet turn to their own K-League with Englishman Ian Porterfield and Cha Bun-keun the leading lights.

mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Porterfield and Dog
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2005, 08:03:50 AM »
Ah wonder how true dis is? This is an excerpt from an article entitled "Korea the latest port of call for Porterfield" on scotsman.com

It's no surprise, considering the sheer amount of footballers Porterfield has worked with, that he was a big influence on the Rangers defender Marvin Andrews, with Trinidad & Tobago. "Marvin was a raw young boy when I coached there but he was as brave as a lion and I made him the captain. That was the belief I had in him and I was pleased he got the chance to go to a club like Rangers."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>