May 23, 2024, 02:53:47 PM

Author Topic: Lilian Thuram  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Lilian Thuram
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.tt/SA-9.html

Guadeloupe

Will he help promote gwo ka (the local drums) instead of promoting local football when he will retire?

The 36-year old French professional football defender Lilian Thuram whose contract with Paris St Germain FC is now pending to a cardiac malformation discovered in June, had set his heart on promoting local culture rather than sports when he will retire.

The most capped player in the history of the French national team who was selected 142 times met with the public in the Laura Flessel gymnasium in Petit Bourg, Guadeloupe, French West Indies (FWI) on July 18.

The theme of the meeting was: “Can I make of my sports passion a career?”

The 1998 World Cup champion who was born in Guadeloupe answered the questions about football disclosing advice such as “work at school” and “never forget that football is not all”, clearly applying to him.

“When I was 17 I was in Monaco and I got injured. After one year, a doctor told me I could never be a professional football player because of that. Since that day, each year I play is a year I win,” he said to the assistance.

“But I also realised that football is not my whole life,” he added.

When asked about the opportunity to open formation centres for football players in Guadeloupe, the 1998 World Cup Champion answered by the negative.

“I think there are enough opportunities here when you’re a young talented football player to be detected by a scout. I’m not interested in that. I’m more into culture,” he said.

Thuram also asserted that someone from Fifa had approached him to talk about the Caribbean football saying that there were still things to do.

When questioned about the possibility to work at a Caribbean level, Thuram, as an excellent defender, tackled the Guardian and said it was not yet time to think about that since he was not yet retired.

Alain Parny, President of the Club of Supporters of the French Team in Guadeloupe, expressed his disappointment.

“I would have been happy to see Thuram engaging more in the local football. When you are a young football player here, if you’re not in one of the most mediatic clubs, the ones who have the contacts with the national agents, it’s difficult to be detected,” Parny said.

“It would be a good thing to have a formation centre down here. Most of the talents come back because when they go abroad they are alone and they can’t resist the change,” he said.

The Guadeloupe-born champion made a career out of his culture of sports but doesn’t want to be limited to the latter.

personal info

Full name: Ruddy Lilian Thuram-Ulien

Date of birth: January 1, 1972 (age 36)

Place of birth: Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe, French West Indies

Height: 1.82 m (5 ft, 11 1/2 in)

Playing position: Centre back or Right back

Senior clubs

Years Club App (Gls)

1991–1996 AS Monaco 155 (8)

1996–2001 Parma 163 (1)

2001–2006 Juventus 145 (1)

2006–2008 FC Barcelona 41 (0)   

National team

1994–2008 France 142 (2)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: Lilian Thuram
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »
he said to the assistance.
I know asistencia in spanish could go either way for audience or assistance.  a bebelfish type errror.
I know asistir a, just like assister a  in french also means to attend. 
is it only me but I didn't understand what exactly cultural he was doing or the whole article was about (except that it have something to do with drums).

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
It is said that Guadeloupe has more african rythms than Martinique. If you listen to Kassav, some of their song may have a lot of african drumming and the beat is a bit different from the regular zouk beat. Being from Guadeloupe, I guess he wants to promote their side of the culture.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 06:12:14 AM »
Let me address the football first. I have a sense that the article doesn't express the thrust of Thuram's intentions. Buh lehwe work with what's there ... There is nothing wrong with the man choosing to shape his relationship to the game in his later years as he chooses. In a big picture way what he seems to be proposing may do more for Guadeloupe indigenously than the extraction of local talent ever has. Thuram won't ever walk away from the game completely but after 20+ years ppl ought to be reasonable in heaping expectation and agenda on a man who already has done more than many with respect to securing the future of the game.

he said to the assistance.
I know asistencia in spanish could go either way for audience or assistance. a bebelfish type errror.
I know asistir a, just like assister a in french also means to attend.
is it only me but I didn't understand what exactly cultural he was doing or the whole article was about (except that it have something to do with drums).

BK, the question is why should we have to decipher the words? Is it too much to ask the Guardian to edit the article? Jeezzanges! I have no problem with Serac contributing the piece but ... Guardian editors ... whaiz de story atall?

Certainly I doubt that a submission in French to an Antillean paper would be presented to the public in the same manner.

The next drum ah hadda beat is this ... b/c it's related ... on several occasions I've noticed that submissions by local personalities appear to receive a certain absence of editing/interference ... and ah eh talking about letters to the editor ... or the regular contributors ... steups ... Serac's relationship with the Guardian is more enveloped than that of a random or VIP contributor ... so Guardian whappen? In seeking to avoid offending her/them ... yuh end up offending your readership?

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 12:00:10 PM »
Well now I guess is time fuh him to check into those post football opportunities.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7537961.stm

Thuram brings career to a close

Former France defender Lilian Thuram has brought his illustrious playing career to an end after being diagnosed with a heart condition.

The 36-year-old was set to sign for Paris St Germain from Barcelona.

But the move fell through after doctors diagnosed a heart problem, and Thuram - whose brother died of a cardiac condition - has decided to retire.

"It is difficult for me to continue. I would have liked to sign with PSG (but) I prefer not to take risks," he said.

"It's sad to end a career like this."

Thuram made 142 appearances for his country, winning the World Cup with them in 1998 and the European Championship in 2000.

He retired from international football after France's disappointing Euro 2008 campaign, and had hoped to finish his career in France.

Thuram started off at Monaco in 1990 before moving to Italy in 1996 to play for Parma and Juventus.

He joined Spanish outfit Barcelona in 2006 but struggled to hold down a regular place at the Nou Camp.

"I would have liked to have been the Paolo Maldini of Paris Saint Germain but sadly it will not be possible," added Thuram.

Maldini, 40, is the captain of AC Milan and has delayed his retirement for one more season.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

1]; } ?>