May 22, 2024, 10:20:02 PM

Author Topic: Teenaged striker in Guatemala team to face Warriors  (Read 1321 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Teenaged striker in Guatemala team to face Warriors
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
Teenaged striker in Guatemala team to face Warriors
Trinidad Guardian

Guatemalan Head Coach, Ramon Maradiaga announced his 21-man squad on Friday for the clash against T&T on Saturday in the World Cup Qualifier at Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Maradiaga has included teenaged strike Jonny Brown and overseas-based striker Carlos Ruiz, Chicago Fire’s Marco Pappa and Veracruz’s Fredy Thompson.

One of their regular starters, Dwight Pezzarossi has been ruled out by injury.

Their squad has been in training at Guatemala’s FIFA Goal Project Center and will travel to Fort Lauderdale tomorrow for another training camp prior to their arrival in Port of Spain on Thursday.

T&T and MLS defender, Julius James has described his call up to the national team as “a dream come true”.

The former National Under-17 and St Anthony’s College College player had actually been invited in the past since Francisco Maturana took over the reigns but never made the trip home because of injury. He also joined the national team for a training camp under Leo Beenhakker during the previous campaign but never made the final cut.

Now ,however, James has maintained a fixed spot in the Toronto FC team with a series of solid performances and is keen to do the same for T&T.

“It’s really great for me and a very special thing to get a call-up for my country,” James told Toronto’s official website.

“There are a lot of international players that belong to T&T so it’s a big honour. It’s an amazing feeling right now. Before the World Cup they called me down to Florida to train. I was still in college then and I didn’t feel I was ready,” he confessed.

James is likely to also be in the squad for the September 10 encounter against United States in Chicago.

“To be going with the team for a World Cup Qualifier is something that I have dreamed about, and hopefully it will be the first of many,” said James ,who could encounter an interesting face off with prolific Guatemalan striker Ruiz, who is his teammate at Toronto.

“I’ve made a few strides forward in the league this season. I wish I had been able to play more games, but I got injured in pre-season and the coach didn’t think I was ready. Recently I’ve been playing pretty well, and this is a nice reward.”

James is one of nine Toronto FC players going away on international duty following Toronto’s game at Chivas USA yesterday.

That list include Greg Sutton and Jim Brennan (Canada), Amado Guevara (Honduras), Ruiz (Guatemala), Tyrone Marshall (Jamaica), Carl Robinson (Wales), Marvell Wynne (USA), Jarrod Smith (New Zealand).

Meantime, the T&T team resumes training at the Hasely Crawford Stadium tomorrow. Team manager David Muhammad and Technical consultant Keith Look Loy also made the journey over to Chicago this weekend to handle pre-camp arrangements for the team which arrives there on September 7 for the World Cup qualifier three days later.

“Basically we are in Chicago to ensure that the necessary arrangements are in place for the team’s visit ahead of the qualifying match against the US. This includes everything from hotel accommodation and meals, team pick up at the airport and transportation for the duration of the stay, training and medical facilities and other related matters,” Muhammad said.

Also this week, The TTFF and its Centennial Committee is also preparing for the arrival of several top football dignitaries for Friday’s Centennial Dinner at the Dr Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence, headed by FIFA President Sepp Blatter and Brazilian legend Pele.

Guatemala Squad for T&T clash:

Goalkeepers: Ricardo Trigueño (Petapa), Luis P Molina (Jalapa)

Defenders: Gustavo Cabrera (AZ, Dinamarca), Luis Rodríguez (Xelajú MC), Yoni Flores (Marquense), Carlos Gallardo (Cremas), Carlos Castrillo (Cremas), Cristian Noriega (Municipal), Jaime Vides (Municipal).

Midfielders: Fredy Thompson, Guillermo Ramírez (Municipal),

José M Contreras (Arsenal, ARG), Fredy García (Municipal),

Mynor Morales (Xelajú MC), Jean Márquez (Jalapa), Gonzalo Romero (Municipal), Abner Trigueros (Cremas)

Forwards: Mario Rodríguez (Municipal), Carlos Ruiz (Toronto FC, CAN), Marco Pappa (Fire, USA), Johnny Brown (Heredia).

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Teenaged striker in Guatemala team to face Warriors
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:02:37 PM »
We ready 4 he I sure d coach have a plan
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:46:23 PM »
We need to be able to see these games, man. Its 2008, T&T.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:48:06 PM »
I thought Cabrera suspended against us? They hoping to carry him back for the Cuba game one time or what?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
We need to be able to see these games, man. Its 2008, T&T.

i sure it mus hav a stream on d day...it mus..

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 12:24:51 AM »
WE READY FOR HEM MAN BRING THEM  :bringiton:
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

1]; } ?>