May 22, 2024, 11:12:01 PM

Author Topic: Messi Best In World - Lippi  (Read 2520 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Messi Best In World - Lippi
« on: October 20, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »
Italy coach Marcello Lippi believes Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Fernando Torres deserve the Ballon d'Or and he has revealed his doubts on Zlatan Ibrahimovic...
The Nazionale tactician has been watching the club game with keen interest and, although 30 players have been nominated for the award, Lippi can only see three potential winners as he writes off the chances of the other 27.

One of those is Ibrahimovic but the coach doesn't believe the Inter man is worthy of the award.

"I have just three candidates for the Ballon d'Or, the other 27 could have been left out," said Lippi.

"Ronaldo, Messi and Torres are my three. Ibrahimovic? No. He is a great player but he has to win something important at international level.

"After the World Cup [Fabio] Cannavaro won the Ballon d'Or as well as the World Player of the Year. You have to win the World Cup or the Champions League in order to win the award.

"The best? Messi."
Ronaldo won the Champions League with Manchester United, Torres lifted the European Championship with Spain and Messi triumphed at the Beijing Olympics with Argentina.
However, history shows that not all past winners won the award because of a major international trophy win. Hristo Stoichkov won it in 1994 but he didn't win any major honours that year as Barcelona were thumped 4-0 in the Champions League final by Milan. In 1995 George Weah won it with the Rossoneri, but then he didn't win any major honours either, the same goes for Rivaldo in 1999.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Messi Best In World - Lippi
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:11 PM »
Italy coach Marcello Lippi believes Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Fernando Torres deserve the Ballon d'Or and he has revealed his doubts on Zlatan Ibrahimovic...
The Nazionale tactician has been watching the club game with keen interest and, although 30 players have been nominated for the award, Lippi can only see three potential winners as he writes off the chances of the other 27.

One of those is Ibrahimovic but the coach doesn't believe the Inter man is worthy of the award.

"I have just three candidates for the Ballon d'Or, the other 27 could have been left out," said Lippi.

"Ronaldo, Messi and Torres are my three. Ibrahimovic? No. He is a great player but he has to win something important at international level.

"After the World Cup [Fabio] Cannavaro won the Ballon d'Or as well as the World Player of the Year. You have to win the World Cup or the Champions League in order to win the award.

"The best? Messi."
Ronaldo won the Champions League with Manchester United, Torres lifted the European Championship with Spain and Messi triumphed at the Beijing Olympics with Argentina.
However, history shows that not all past winners won the award because of a major international trophy win. Hristo Stoichkov won it in 1994 but he didn't win any major honours that year as Barcelona were thumped 4-0 in the Champions League final by Milan. In 1995 George Weah won it with the Rossoneri, but then he didn't win any major honours either, the same goes for Rivaldo in 1999.

Palos wah wrong wid Lippi boy ? He tink just because he win ah World Cup and Italy call him back to coach dat he know more football dan You or what ?   :devil:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 01:35:16 PM »
i am always dissapointed when you here people say you have to win something big to win an Individual award. even more so to hear that from such a reknowned coach. I could understand that for a team, but the best individual player? true the best players gravitate to the best teams, and the best teams tend to hog the biggest prizes, but the idea of the greatest player in the world not winning the ballon D'or cuz they missed out on silverware doh make sense to me.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »
Thierry Henry was runner up the year ronaldinho won it when bucktooth won nothing that year (brazil got the copa but horseface wasn't in the squad.

TH was part of the arsenal unbeaten 49 season, leading goal scorer. its an opinion poll not a real yardstick of tallent

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:55:39 PM »
Thierry Henry was runner up the year ronaldinho won it when bucktooth won nothing that year (brazil got the copa but horseface wasn't in the squad.

TH was part of the arsenal unbeaten 49 season, leading goal scorer. its an opinion poll not a real yardstick of tallent

I don't take the actual award seriously. In another thread I said it was often a popularity contest. However, every now and then someone wins it who really seemed head an shoulders above the rest. But I agree with you.

But i find fault with the idea that some individuals have, that the player has to win something 'big' to be consider the greatest 'individual' talent of the year. It's come up a few times here in some form or fashion. To be honest, I haven't even really taken Lippi to task..I just dealing with the general idea. After all the man said you have to either win the World Cup or the Champion's league to deserve the award...that is just toots in the extreme and he even contradicts himself when you consider the 3 names he considers deserving of the award.

But the award does seem to be given to 'winners' of something..To your example, didn't Barca win La Liga, and Brazil win the Confed Cup the year Dinho won European footballer of the year?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 02:57:55 PM »
Palos wah wrong wid Lippi boy ? He tink just because he win ah World Cup and Italy call him back to coach dat he know more football dan You or what ?   :devil:

If only Argentina could win a FIFA Tournament that requires one to be older than 23. 

Or jes get to de semi finals even...;D ;D ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:34:11 PM »
I'm backing Casillas for Ballon D'Or.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »

If only Argentina could win a FIFA Tournament that requires one to be older than 23. 

Or jes get to de semi finals even...;D ;D ;D

Ahem ...Argentina has won the world cup twice ... just a little thing to take note of before you respond.  Argentina also played in back to back finals in 86 and 90 and were in the first World cup final where they lost to Uruguay... to sum it up Palos ...they would have had to get to the semi final before that ..wouldn't you say ?
you might want to also note that for the olympics , an essentially under 23 tournament that Argentina now dominates, every team was allowed three overaged players and did use them... you want me to list some of these  players who participated in the olympics ...or ..you done han een yuh gloves ???

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 08:01:51 PM »

Someone once said that Michael Jordan is better at basketball than anyone else in the world is at anything....Sometimes I think that Iker Cassillas is better at goalkeeping than any other football player is at their position...

Will he win the Ballon D'Or though? -  highly doubt it...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 08:27:39 PM »

Someone once said that Michael Jordan is better at basketball than anyone else in the world is at anything....Sometimes I think that Iker Cassillas is better at goalkeeping than any other football player is at their position...

I think he would deserve it if he did win.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »
Last season while in a bar FULL of manu fans, I could not get, not ONE of them to admit that Messi is a better player, a better footballer, as far as individual skill, football sense and all other factors are concerned, than cronaldo.  Their logic was that "Messi never won anything for Argentina."  when I asked every one of them that joined the debate, to a man: Wasn't Michael Jordan considered to be the best basketball player on the planet even BEFORE the Bulls won their first championship? The only ones that attempted to present an argument only tried to do so by shouting. What idiots!  While Lippi may have the correct choice for who the best player in the world is, his approach to arriving at that decision makes him a manu fan.

Toppa....can you explain to me what makes Casillas a better goalkeeper than Buffon?  I ehalookin' for no fight.  I just trying to find someone or some reasoning that can really separate the two of them and if so, put Casillas ahead.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:32:15 AM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 06:31:24 AM »

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
what a brilliant save he made yesterday against del piero in the 6 th minute to ensure Madrid won  ;) :devil: :devil:  :devil:

I get the jordan point, but to be able to play great ball the entire yeah and help lead our team to a double victory IS something special and SHOULD be considered when giving the award.
If you dont consider the titles, then what are u going to use as a yard stick to measure the winner. The players in different leagues in different positions, so how are u going to get an exact measurement for the best player? Obviously if CR play great whole year and helped lead Man Utd to a double championship, then that must be considered when deciding the winner.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 06:36:52 AM by sammy »
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 06:36:21 AM »

Even though I am not a huge Gunner fan.... I was surprised by that decision...... which more seemed to me like it was a popularity contest.... :-\

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 09:24:38 AM »
Last season while in a bar FULL of manu fans, I could not get, not ONE of them to admit that Messi is a better player, a better footballer, as far as individual skill, football sense and all other factors are concerned, than cronaldo.  Their logic was that "Messi never won anything for Argentina."  when I asked every one of them that joined the debate, to a man: Wasn't Michael Jordan considered to be the best basketball player on the planet even BEFORE the Bulls won their first championship? The only ones that attempted to present an argument only tried to do so by shouting. What idiots!  While Lippi may have the correct choice for who the best player in the world is, his approach to arriving at that decision makes him a manu fan.

Toppa....can you explain to me what makes Casillas a better goalkeeper than Buffon?  I ehalookin' for no fight.  I just trying to find someone or some reasoning that can really separate the two of them and if so, put Casillas ahead.

Buffon is great, and to tell you the truth I'm no goalkeeping expert- but if you've watched Madrid consistently over the past 4 seasons, you would have to agree that Casillas has on many occasions almost single handedly won Madrid the 3 points.  Ray Hudson (for what it's worth of course) once remarked that Casillas is worth at least 2 otherwise sure goals conceded per game.  His reflexes are unbelieveable, and alot of his saves are just mind boggling.  If you were to judge the two on the full goalkeeping skill set, i.e. distribution, command of the area, communication, defensive organization, spatial awareness, quickness and judgment off the line etc.... it would be tough to judge because that stuff is not easily assessed by watching games sporadically on TV...From the couch, player for player Casillas makes a bigger impression than Buffon to me as a last line of defense.  Sort of like O Kahn (even though he was prone to some mental lapses)- the impression that he made between the sticks because of his athleticism was second to none when he was in his prime.   It could be that Buffon just makes it look easier, or it could be that Buffon plays for Juve and Italy- two teams that traditionally don't really allow their opponents alot of shots on goal....(the perception at least)... so there is less need for the spectacular.   

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 09:27:38 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »
Last season while in a bar FULL of manu fans, I could not get, not ONE of them to admit that Messi is a better player, a better footballer, as far as individual skill, football sense and all other factors are concerned, than cronaldo.  Their logic was that "Messi never won anything for Argentina." 

funny, cuz up until then..and now..he won more for Argentina than C Ronaldo has for Portugal. He even got a Champion's League and domestic title before C Ronaldo did. I don't think medal haul should be the fundamental basis for the argument. but Messi trumps C Ronaldo in that department having won an Under 20 WC and Olympic gold.

By the way...no way yuh talk to nearly all de fans in de bar. Jess say a handful ah men didn' agree wit you nah  :devil:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »

Buffon is great, and to tell you the truth I'm no goalkeeping expert- but if you've watched Madrid consistently over the past 4 seasons, you would have to agree that Casillas has on many occasions almost single handedly won Madrid the 3 points.  Ray Hudson (for what it's worth of course) once remarked that Casillas is worth at least 2 otherwise sure goals conceded per game.  His reflexes are unbelieveable, and alot of his saves are just mind boggling.  If you were to judge the two on the full goalkeeping skill set, i.e. distribution, command of the area, communication, defensive organization, spatial awareness, quickness and judgment off the line etc.... it would be tough to judge because that stuff is not easily assessed by watching games sporadically on TV...From the couch, player for player Casillas makes a bigger impression than Buffon to me as a last line of defense.  Sort of like O Kahn (even though he was prone to some mental lapses)- the impression that he made between the sticks because of his athleticism was second to none when he was in his prime.   It could be that Buffon just makes it look easier, or it could be that Buffon plays for Juve and Italy- two teams that traditionally don't really allow their opponents alot of shots on goal....(the perception at least)... so there is less need for the spectacular.   

Prior to Euro 2008, it seemd the European press at large rated Buffon just ahead of Casillas. At the end of the tournament, more than a few felt Casillas was ahead purely on recent form.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
what a brilliant save he made yesterday against del piero in the 6 th minute to ensure Madrid won  ;) :devil: :devil:  :devil:

I get the jordan point, but to be able to play great ball the entire yeah and help lead our team to a double victory IS something special and SHOULD be considered when giving the award.
If you dont consider the titles, then what are u going to use as a yard stick to measure the winner. The players in different leagues in different positions, so how are u going to get an exact measurement for the best player? Obviously if CR play great whole year and helped lead Man Utd to a double championship, then that must be considered when deciding the winner.

sammy..I agree with you in the specific case of C Ronaldo that you must consider his contribution to a championship winning side. But in general, i think you can judge a player's ability and form independently of what he or she has won. If Argentina didn't beat germany in WC 1986, Maradona was still going to be judged a better player than any other in the tournament. Brazil's women lost the Wc and Olympic final back to back..yet noone doubts Marta is the best female player on the planet. These things involve a great deal of subjectivity no matter what, so I guess medals are as good a judgement criteria as any. But it is possible for a player to win nothing and still be cosidered the best in the world or Europe or wherever....at least imo. I think Weah and Stoichcov are the only examples of European fotballer of the year who didn't win anything the years that they won

1]; } ?>